gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:44:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian & The Survivors  (Read 2584 times)
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2012, 05:05:39 AM »

I've used the search engine and found nothing of substantial use. I've heard Pamela Jean and After The Game but what was all this about? Can anyone shed any light on Brian's forging of the Survivors what he planned to do with them. Or, why they folded. Actually, how about as much information as possible.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:28:59 AM »

The Survivors were a studio-only group that did a one-off single in early 1964, "Pamela Jean"/"After the Game." It's a coveted release by Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fans, however, as Wilson wrote and produced both sides and was one of the singers on the record as well. "Pamela Jean," which combines doo wop, Brian Wilson pop, and an extremely Phil Spector-esque production, actually has the exact same melody as "Car Crazy Cutie," which the Beach Boys had released in 1963 on their Little Deuce Coupe album. "After the Game" is a lush, almost easy listening instrumental ballad that anticipated some directions Wilson's music would take (with fuller production) on the arrangements used for the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. Although it has been written that the Survivors were the Beach Boys recording under a pseudonym, according to the liner notes to the CD compilation Pet Projects: The Brian Wilson Productions (which includes both sides of the single), the Survivors were Brian Wilson and his friends Bob Norberg, Dave Nowlen, and Richard Alarian. ~ Richie Unterberger, Rovi

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/the-survivors#ixzz24N6vV2RO
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »

Someone pointed out that "After the Game" is the only place you can hear Brian playing guitar too.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »

Its also been written in multiple books and elsewhere that the Survivors were the vocalists (along with Brian) on the Beach Boys single Surfer Girl, this of course is completely false as the only voices on that song are the three Wilson brothers and Mike Love. The myth began from a Norberg anecdote but is easily disproven by listening to the session which features only the Beach Boys on both vocals and instruments.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »

Someone pointed out that "After the Game" is the only place you can hear Brian playing guitar too.
Brian played the lead guitar on Breakaway.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »

Also don't forget that the Survivors also recorded 'Wich Stand, Girlie, and Hot Harp.

Oh man, what are the chances we might get those on the box set? Did I once hear they're lost? Can't remember.... 'Wich Stand is a holy grail for me.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »

For real........?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »

Also don't forget that the Survivors also recorded 'Wich Stand, Girlie, and Hot Harp.

What about "Joy Ride Cruise"?

Doubt VERY much that these will never see the light of day.  They aren't Beach Boys songs.  Maybe someday we'll get to hear "Wich Stand" because supposedly it's in the Capitol vaults. Surprised it hasn't been booted.  A couple of them are just instrumental tracks - like Maureen Love's "Hot Harp".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »

For real........?

Desper said that Brian played the piano and the acoustic guitar on the same channel.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 05:25:23 AM »

The Survivors were Brian, Bob Norburg, Dave Knowlen and Rich Petersen (Alarian). Brad Elliott interviewed the latter two for Add Some Music back in 1983, and Alarian made some highly questionable claims about them singing on the Surfer Girl album, and him singing lead on "PJ". Of course, when the "PJ" sessions emerged on the SOT releases, the latter fantasy crumbled.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx