gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:30:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 319718 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1275 on: November 13, 2012, 10:18:54 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcOJu0g8dbw this one is the worst, this is Liam's solo project and this song sounds almost exactly like Instant Karma.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: November 13, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »

Wait... you expect me to believe that you've not noticed, or never heard it said, that a good proportion of Oasis' output sounds like a second rate Beatles tribute band, heavy on the 1966-67 era ?

Having listened to The Beatles all my life, and having listened to Oasis for seventeen years of my life, or nearly half, and having just about everything either band recorded, I can say with confidence that I haven't noticed that. I've heard it said, yes, but it's never been convicing.

So this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl5wU9r73gI - isn't even a smidgen Beatlesque ?

I haven't entered into the Oasis thing until now because I ultimately agree with you that this thread isn't the place for it. We could have this conversation in the General Music thread below though that may not be your thing. Without going into a long discussion (and while acknowledging that I too think this is off-topic!) I will say that "a smidgen Beatlesque" is a much different thing than "a second rate Beatles tribute band." So, to be honest, no. There are other examples you could pull up (She's Electric, The Masterplan, Born on a Different Cloud) that might make your case better. But a seven minute epic with a soaring anthemic chorus that is heavy on the distortion, and guitar tricks, doesn't suggest conventional Beatles to me. This song is more Voodoo Chile meets Oh You Pretty Things meets I Wanna Be Adored.

Or are you just suggesting that song because the lyrics happen to reference Beatles songtitles?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:28:34 AM by rockandroll » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1277 on: November 13, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »

No, no, I've certainly noticed that Oasis sounds like a second rate Beatles. Still, evening using "straight" to mean "heterosexual", "I like my Beatles straight" makes sense as an insult towards Oasis.

OK, you want to see me really pissed off ? Congratulations, you've just pressed all the correct buttons.

Listen you rampant f***wit, I DIDN'T USE THE WORD STRAIGHT TO MEAN HETEROSEXUAL, BUT UNDILUTED. Can your pea sized brain grasp this concept, or are you so hooked up on finding fault with everything I post that its rendered you mentally impotent ? More to the point, can you actually read, or does Mummy do it for you ?

One more time, slowly, in the (vain) hope that you'll eventually grasp this most basic of linguistic concepts -  Oasis sound like The Beatles. Got that ? Therefore I made the mildly amusing observation that, regarding them, I preferred my Beatles straight, that is, undiluted from the original, or in other words, I prefer the original to a second-rate bunch of impersonators. Got that too ? Nope, thought not, because it's from me and thus viewed through a red mist of bias.

You accuse me of being homophobic. I'll readily agree I'm irascible, short-tempered, arrogant, at times pompous, condescending and quick to pounce and trivial errors or gaps in knowledge. And those are my good qualities. But one thing I am, IRL, is tolerant, at least until it's proven to me that I'm being taken advantage of. I have no problem with anyone's sexual orientation, unless they try to ram it down my throat (inelegant phrase, and one open to jokes of a lewd nature, but you get my point...) or insist that only gays are truly creative. What I am hideously intolerant of is people who either put words in my mouth or twist what I have said. Like you just did, for whatever arcane reasons of your own. Seriously, if you're not gay, or leaning that way... why so bothered ? Wirestone hasn't said word one, and he's pretty active on that front (and rightfully so).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:36:10 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 13, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcOJu0g8dbw this one is the worst, this is Liam's solo project and this song sounds almost exactly like Instant Karma.

You mean, in the same way that Instant Karma sounds almost exactly like Itchycoo Park?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1279 on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »

... and breathe.

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: November 13, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »

What the hell?  I see this thread jump at least 3 pages since the last time I checked in and expected maybe we got a bit of news or even a tracklisting.  Instead it's more Oasis bullshit and the various definitions of straight.  

No wonder why I don't participate on this board more.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 13, 2012, 10:33:46 AM »

Serious thanks to Doc Smiley!

1) WIBNTLA
2) Cuddle Up (45 mix)
3) CITFotM (66 mix)
4) Carnegie Hall 72 audio & Blu-ray
5) Summer's Gone suite, complete

Couldn't agree more...along with Summer's Gone, I'd like the Isn't it Time single version and THat's why God Made the Radio backing track (b-side to the single)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1282 on: November 13, 2012, 10:38:24 AM »

For the "Summer's Gone" suite to be included, Brain & Joe would have to finish writing, arranging and recording it... and trust me, that's NOT the reason for the delay.  Grin

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 13, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »

No, no, I've certainly noticed that Oasis sounds like a second rate Beatles. Still, evening using "straight" to mean "heterosexual", "I like my Beatles straight" makes sense as an insult towards Oasis.

OK, you want to see me really pissed off ? Congratulations, you've just pressed all the correct buttons.

Listen you rampant f***wit, I DIDN'T USE THE WORD STRAIGHT TO MEAN HETEROSEXUAL, BUT UNDILUTED. Can your pea sized brain grasp this concept, or are you so hooked up on finding fault with everything I post that its rendered you mentally impotent ? More to the point, can you actually read, or does Mummy do it for you ?

One more time, slowly, in the (vain) hope that you'll eventually grasp this most basic of linguistic concepts -  Oasis sound like The Beatles. Got that ? Therefore I made the mildly amusing observation that, regarding them, I preferred my Beatles straight, that is, undiluted from the original, or in other words, I prefer the original to a second-rate bunch of impersonators. Got that too ? Nope, thought not, because it's from me and thus viewed through a red mist of bias.*

However as a footnote to your above post I wish to add I have no doubt that if Noel or Liam were to meet Sir Macca and he were to whip his shrivelled old pecker out and tell them to go to work on it, they would do so in a heartbeat.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 13, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »

Yeah.... So I'm really excited for this box set.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 13, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »

Yeah.... So I'm really excited for this box set.

Same here!

Footnote: I'd like to apologise for mentioning Oasis in ze first place, although I was just saying it was a drain on my box set fund...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:45:22 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1286 on: November 13, 2012, 10:47:44 AM »

I think of Oasis as a bar band Slade who ripped the Beatles when they wanted to move upmarket.  They're okay, I guess, but give me the likes of John Hiatt any day.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 13, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »

Aegir, i'd thought you were one of the more sensible posters on here, but i really have to point out what bullshit you started! Utterly incredible.

Not a jazz fan, i take it?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1288 on: November 13, 2012, 11:17:05 AM »

One more time, slowly, in the (vain) hope that you'll eventually grasp this most basic of linguistic concepts -  Oasis sound like The Beatles. Got that ? Therefore I made the mildly amusing observation that, regarding them, I preferred my Beatles straight, that is, undiluted from the original, or in other words, I prefer the original to a second-rate bunch of impersonators. Got that too ? Nope, thought not, because it's from me and thus viewed through a red mist of bias.

You accuse me of being homophobic. I'll readily agree I'm irascible, short-tempered, arrogant, at times pompous, condescending and quick to pounce and trivial errors or gaps in knowledge. And those are my good qualities. But one thing I am, IRL, is tolerant, at least until it's proven to me that I'm being taken advantage of. I have no problem with anyone's sexual orientation, unless they try to ram it down my throat (inelegant phrase, and one open to jokes of a lewd nature, but you get my point...) or insist that only gays are truly creative. What I am hideously intolerant of is people who either put words in my mouth or twist what I have said. Like you just did, for whatever arcane reasons of your own.

I do get what you're saying. I didn't at the time I made my original post on this subject because "straight" has multiple definitions, one of which means heterosexual (that's the one I originally thought you meant), which still fits in "I prefer my Beatles straight".

I realized upon your first response that you meant "undiluted" and I'm sorry I misinterpreted you. We're just repeating ourselves ad infinitum because you don't seem to understand that I get you. I don't see what you're still going on about.

Seriously, if you're not gay, or leaning that way... why so bothered ? Wirestone hasn't said word one, and he's pretty active on that front (and rightfully so).

I still don't see how this is at all relevant. I'm against hate speech, whether it is intended to offend me personally or not.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: November 13, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »

Gonna go out on a limb and say that post #1279 contained an apology.....which was overlooked (understatement).

BOX SET!!!!!

Hell, I'm psyched for the packaging......after the amazing smile sessions box.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: November 13, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »

When the box set comes out, I am going straight to my local store to buy it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: November 13, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »

If you "get" me, then why repeat the insinuation that my comment was homophobic when you realise, as you admit, that it wasn't. A simple "sorry, let's move on" would have sufficed, but you have this compulsion to keep dragging in the perceived - but only by you - homophobic comment, even after I've pointed out your error. It's like a six year old that keeps saying "yes, but what if...".

Anyway, I'm done.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: November 13, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »

Gonna go out on a limb and say that post #1279 contained an apology.....which was overlooked (understatement).

BOX SET!!!!!

Hell, I'm psyched for the packaging......after the amazing smile sessions box.

Me too! They set the bar so fantastically high - My friends all drop their jaws when they see the 3-dimensional Smile Shop.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »

You [Aegir] don't have a basic grounding in the English language, best avoid this forum. No loss to the rest of us.

This is very true!  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: November 13, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »

Firstly on the 'straight' saga, I would imagine most people would have read it as was meant.  Weird to think that anyone could think that 'heterosexual' was even  inferred from the context.  

Lastly back to the box, is there a finished version of 'Sherry She Needs Me' from the 60's, IIRC I heard a backing track track once with partial (backing?) vocals.

I'd also like to see official releases for Stevie and Lines.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: November 13, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »

Aegir, i'd thought you were one of the more sensible posters on here.

No he ain't!  He likes to stir the sh!t!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: November 13, 2012, 11:54:59 AM »

Firstly on the 'straight' saga, I would imagine most people would have read it as was meant.  Weird to think that anyone could think that 'heterosexual' was even  inferred from the context.  

Lastly back to the box, is there a finished version of 'Sherry She Needs Me' from the 60's, IIRC I heard a backing track track once with partial (backing?) vocals.

The track of "sherry she needs me" from 1965 only needed a lead vocal to be finished. Sad

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 13, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »

The track of "sherry she needs me" from 1965 only needed a lead vocal to be finished. Sad

Embarrassed   Embarrassed   Embarrassed 

Bummer.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: November 13, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »

I'd venture that Brian would have put some more vocals from the guys on it as well.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 13, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »

What the hell?  I see this thread jump at least 3 pages since the last time I checked in and expected maybe we got a bit of news or even a tracklisting.  Instead it's more Oasis bullsh*t and the various definitions of straight.  

No wonder why I don't participate on this board more.

This.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx