gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:25:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 319657 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: October 30, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »

This sad thread has made me sad.  Cry

That is only logical. Sad threads usually don't make people happy.

Apart from Phil Cohen, that is.

but that made me happy LOL

Cheesy

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: October 30, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »

It's a day til November, how do we STILL not have any real info on this thing?

Uh... this is The Beach Boys - take an inspired guess.

Good advice. Being historically informed by the proceedings re: TSS, I will stalk mr. Al Sardine intensely in the upcoming weeks. Google Streetview, hidden mics, and a couple of drones will follow him everywhere, and I will inform you lot here of his every utterance, CDRs played normally and in reverse. The Don has ways to find out.

"A couples of drones will follow him everywhere"

Funniest thing I've ever heard  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: October 30, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »

It's a day til November, how do we STILL not have any real info on this thing?

Uh... this is The Beach Boys - take an inspired guess.

Good advice. Being historically informed by the proceedings re: TSS, I will stalk mr. Al Sardine intensely in the upcoming weeks. Google Streetview, hidden mics, and a couple of drones will follow him everywhere, and I will inform you lot here of his every utterance, CDRs played normally and in reverse. The Don has ways to find out.

"A couples of drones will follow him everywhere"

Funniest thing I've ever heard  LOL

*blushes*

thanks for the compliment!

Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: October 30, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »

There's not really any chance of this coming out in 2012 is there ?
We would have had firm details by now.  Sad
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1054 on: October 30, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »

There's not really any chance of this coming out in 2012 is there ?
We would have had firm details by now.  Sad

I'd guess not, so that makes it the first ever album in the history of recorded music that's not been released on the date initially announced - according to our resident Eeyore with OCD. Ever ever ever ever ever ever.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: October 30, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »

Wow. Andrew is not very hopeful. Not good.

I don't wanna sound Cohen-esque, but if we don't hear anything in November, I'd assume that it ain't comin' out in January either. I wonder if the delay has anything to do with Mike not wanting to continue to work with Brian and Al. I can't imagine why it would, but this is The Beach Boys.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: October 30, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »

Shame they couldn't get it together in time for the holiday season but such is life. I hope they do make an announcement before the new year.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: October 30, 2012, 01:32:35 PM »

I hate to also sound Cohen-esque, but I am feeling genuine worry here. However, I just remind myself that the promo video for The Smile Sessions came out of nowhere when we got it, so anything could appear at any time.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1058 on: October 30, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »

I don't wanna sound Cohen-esque, but if we don't hear anything in November, I'd assume that it ain't comin' out in January either. I wonder if the delay has anything to do with Mike not wanting to continue to work with Brian and Al. I can't imagine why it would, but this is The Beach Boys.

Didn't say it wasn't coming out, just that November was beginning to look unlikely.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: October 30, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »

Didn't say it wasn't coming out, just that November was beginning to look unlikely.

December 4th!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: October 30, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »

Don't be taken in by that crap about Mike not wanting to work with Brian… that was just the media peddling merde. Mike'd sell his wife to get new songs out with a Wilson/Love credit.

Reckon it's more likely to be admin or production realities that are causing delays. We'll get this box in good time or my name's not Phil Cohen.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: October 30, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »

Don't be taken in by that crap about Mike not wanting to work with Brian… that was just the media peddling merde. Mike'd sell his wife to get new songs out with a Wilson/Love credit.

Reckon it's more likely to be admin or production realities that are causing delays. We'll get this box in good time or my name's not Phil Cohen.

Now THAT's a Revelation!

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: October 30, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »

I don't wanna take this off topic, but I don't think an album needs to be filled with Wilson/Love credits for Mike to work with Brian. He should feel lucky enough to work with his cousin who he loves so much and be happy with a few writing credits.

But yeah, I'm still pretty confident the box will come soon enough. I don't think they would ever announce it unless they were pretty well sure that they'd be able to release it.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: October 30, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »

It would have made a lot of sense to release a career retrospective during the actual anniversary..

But then again, this is The Beach Boys

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: October 30, 2012, 06:19:53 PM »

It would have made a lot of sense to release a career retrospective during the actual anniversary..

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: October 30, 2012, 06:45:12 PM »

I know that, but a greatest hits is an easy sell..

Something like an expensive box set could have used the hype from the 50th anniversary tour

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: October 31, 2012, 01:44:23 AM »

At the moment, I am quite hopeful for a Jan (or maybe Feb) release. IMHO the greatest problem in the matter is how to format such a project, to make it attractive to as much folks as possible (which is normal). There may have been a concept (with Nov 2012 in mind) that was ultimately not deemed effective enough, and those involved may have started to re-formatting whilst we were waiting for it. I guess a mere update of the 1993 set would potentially have bombed in several ways - but what should replace that (fantastic) retrospective?

Some folks hinted at the inclusion of video material. I think they made good, educated guesses. Almost all current deluxe box sets have a couple of DVDs/Blurays included - and hey, 50 years have produced an immense filmed archive of our band.

Also think about the chance that reformatting sets new problems to overcome. Think of the inclusion of demos, tracks, live cuts, video stuff, promos, all of which require getting proper licensing, new contracts maybe, re-negotiations, what have you.

And there is the problem of oversaturating the market. So much happened in the past 12 months... starting with the TSS bonanza, the studio remasters, the tours, the new album... there is a psychological point where people, even if they're well-heeled (and thus invested probably more than $ 1,000 in BBs related events in the past year), hear an inner voice saying: I've had enough for awhile.

Creating a bit of new longing and hunger is not a bad thing (for the market just a tad below that of us, the certified patients). And we're not exactly starved either.

Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: October 31, 2012, 02:48:05 AM »

Hate to say this again:

According to my distribution system Made In Califonria is still released in January

BUT

There's also a Beach Boys 50 Live dvd and blu-ray that's coming november 16. I believe that was the original release date for the boxset. So there's still some stocking filler this year
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: October 31, 2012, 05:05:38 AM »

If we don't hear anything in November at least we can be sure it's not coming January

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: October 31, 2012, 05:11:58 AM »

If we don't hear anything in November at least we can be sure it's not coming January

Sounds logical.

My bet: we will hear something in November.

Watch out for unexpected Al Jardine interviews the coming weeks.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1070 on: October 31, 2012, 05:44:48 AM »

I wouldn't expect anything much in the way of video footage in the box, for one overbearing reason: licensing. The beach Boys own very little of the footage of their classic-era/70s TV appearances. Malcolm Leo said as far back as 1984 that getting all the clips was a logistical and financial nightmare. I wouldn't expect it's gotten any easier in the intervening three decades.

On a less Cohen-like note, the box will happen.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: October 31, 2012, 07:24:02 AM »

Sounds logical.

No way. If this thing were coming out in January we would've heard Al spill the beans back in July Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: October 31, 2012, 09:03:36 AM »

I wouldn't expect anything much in the way of video footage in the box, for one overbearing reason: licensing. The beach Boys own very little of the footage of their classic-era/70s TV appearances. Malcolm Leo said as far back as 1984 that getting all the clips was a logistical and financial nightmare. I wouldn't expect it's gotten any easier in the intervening three decades.

Take on board what you're saying Andrew. Just seems such a shame given the stuff that's surfaced in the last couple of years. One day perhaps…

That said, I'll be happy with the box's contents whatever, especially the outtakes of Mike playing Murry Wilson compositions on a Stylophone. Never knew they existed before…

Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: October 31, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »

well, sure. I imagine you've had your promo copy for abpout a month now. Not that you'll let on...

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: October 31, 2012, 04:46:10 PM »

Sounds logical.

No way. If this thing were coming out in January we would've heard Al spill the beans back in July Grin

But... He did.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx