gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681493 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 03:05:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322700 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: October 08, 2012, 07:08:33 AM »

I know I'm in the minority here but.... Dear God no more Smile stuff. If disk space was infinite, no problem but as it isn't I'd much rather have as much unreleased 70's era stuff as they can fit over more barnyard noises or yet another variation on the "Bicycle Rider" riff.

what about both, and cutting California Girls (stereo mix) ?
I understand people have different wants and needs etc, but what I don't understand are all of these unrealistic expectations regarding the box set. This is a retrospective set, not a bootleggers deluxe set. Good Vibrations set did not disappoint in 1993 and I highly doubt that we will be unhappy with the new box set upon it's release, as well.

Sound thinking, doctor. But if the core is the material from the GV set, and it's enriched with deep catalogue material, and there are a couple of solo tracks by Carl, Denny, and perhaps Brian, and there are two rarities to attract collectors, then I think I will pass it up. I can spend those 100+ Euros only once.
Shoot, I say that all time, as my wife will attest, but I still always find something on everything that tickles my fancy, and I end up buying all of it. Just the fan in me, I suppose.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:17:35 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #901 on: October 08, 2012, 07:11:28 AM »

Sound thinking, doctor. But if the core is the material from the GV set, and it's enriched with deep catalogue material, and there are a couple of solo tracks by Carl, Denny, and perhaps Brian, and there are two rarities to attract collectors, then I think I will pass it up. I can spend those 100+ Euros only once.

Aren`t the Carl and Dennis solo recordings from different record labels? If I were Capitol then I wouldn`t include any of those songs. The same goes for most of Brian`s albums.

Lucky Old Sun was done for Capitol I think so perhaps a couple of songs could be included and some of Al`s and Mike`s stuff might be essentially label-less. If any of Pacific Ocean Blue`s songs are available in early demo form then they might belong to Brother I guess.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 08, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »

I would sincerely hope that, given it's a 6CD set, there will be somewhat more than "two rarities to attract collectors".

Four at least. Grin

Do we think that tracks like "H.E.L.P" and "4th of July", along with the "Adult Child" stuff will be held over from the Good Vibrations box?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 08, 2012, 08:36:01 AM »

I would sincerely hope that, given it's a 6CD set, there will be somewhat more than "two rarities to attract collectors".

Four at least. Grin

Grin

Well, I think that the box must have considerable appeal for collectors... or else: who's going to purchase it? People in general (so: normal, as opposed to us ruminators and obsessive thinkers) will be content with the double 50 hits set at the max. Others will be happy with the 1993 box. I have some trouble imagining that there will be those who are willing to lay down so much money for what is essentially an extended Greatest Hits set. Interest in '80s and '90s BBs material will be small.

But I stick with my previous statement, in case the novelty value is very low.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #904 on: October 08, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »

I think... I think we should all be grateful that the box was even considered and is in fact happening (yes, Phil, it is, so deal with it - in fact I told my friends in the Tower to delay it purely to annoy you: I have that power*). We're somewhat beyond casual fans and of course when the track listing is released, we'll bitch about it, but fact is, we'll buy it and we'll be happy so to do.

(* denotes statement that is very likely a complete lie... but you never know...)

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 08, 2012, 09:24:58 AM »

I think... I think we should all be grateful that the box was even considered and is in fact happening (yes, Phil, it is, so deal with it - in fact I told my friends in the Tower to delay it purely to annoy you: I have that power*). We're somewhat beyond casual fans and of course when the track listing is released, we'll bitch about it, but fact is, we'll buy it and we'll be happy so to do.

(* denotes statement that is very likely a complete lie... but you never know...)

Hm. This statement is on the surface info-free, and yet it speaks to my feelings... as if there's considerably more that the two rarities I speculated upon not so long ago...  Roll Eyes

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 08, 2012, 09:28:13 AM »

That Andrew, he's a subtle stinker. He always keeps us thinking, wishing, hoping and praying.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 08, 2012, 09:39:21 AM »

I know I'm in the minority here but.... Dear God no more Smile stuff. If disk space was infinite, no problem but as it isn't I'd much rather have as much unreleased 70's era stuff as they can fit over more barnyard noises or yet another variation on the "Bicycle Rider" riff.

You're not the actual Mike Love are you?

Anyone who's heard the unsurprassed masters Smile sessions will know there's a fair amount of still unreleased Smile material, especially Vegetables stuff.

True but 4 disks already dedicated to 1 album is quite sufficant as far as I'm concerned. In fact I only bought the 2 disk edtion and a few mp3 downloads from the larger set and unless someone stumbles onto a full second movement of Surf's Up I'm pretty much done with Smile.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #908 on: October 08, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »

That Andrew, he's a subtle stinker. He always keeps us thinking, wishing, hoping and praying.

Ya think ?  Sometimes I'm so goddam subtle even I don't realise what I'm actually saying.  Brow

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 08, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »

Ya think ?  Sometimes I'm so goddam subtle even I don't realise what I'm actually saying.  Brow
You are when you can't let the cat out of the bag. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 08, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »

maybe it will ONLY be "country love" outtakes and that's it... Grin Grin LOL
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: October 08, 2012, 11:35:51 AM »

I understand people have different wants and needs etc, but what I don't understand are all of these unrealistic expectations regarding the box set. This is a retrospective set, not a bootleggers deluxe set. Good Vibrations set did not disappoint in 1993 and I highly doubt that we will be unhappy with the new box set upon it's release, as well.

Actually, that has always been my wish, and, while it might be unrealistic, SHOULDN'T have been. I wanted a boxed set (5 CDs?) of all previously released material - hits and key album tracks - from ALL the official studio/live albums. This box would be for those fans who like that kind of career-spanning "safe" songs, packaged together.

Then I would have a boxed set compiled of rarities (released material including obscure singles), UNRELEASED songs, and some outstanding live tracks. No solo stuff. This is for the diehards. Over time, don't you think a box like this would accumulate in sales.

There aren't many artists with the history or legacy of The Beach Boys. What's wrong with 2 boxed sets. Look at all the compilations (especially bootlegs) that Bob Dylan has put out. Even Bruce Springsteen is getting up there with comps.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: October 08, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »

I'd love for "where we are" to make the cut.

That songs underrated with even hardcore fans

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: October 08, 2012, 11:48:27 AM »

What tracks from BB85/Still Cruisin'/mid 80s/SIP is acceptable material to put on the box, besides the usual Getcha Back/Kokomo?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:38:51 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 08, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »

Will all the tracks be the regular mix that we've all heard or the new tracks that are on the remastered albums?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: October 08, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »

Mike is ultimately the one who says yay or nay for the tracks on the boxset. He said he wants it to be more Beach Boys than just an anthology of BW products. So maybe we'll get Country Pie? Or some others from First Love?

No, he's not. Any voting member of BRI can veto any suggested track, just as they did with the 1993 box (Where Carl, Alan & Brian all nixed material) and WOTS (Mike).
Well, that's not what I heard. I heard from a very very reliable source it was Mike this time around on this box.
Did Alan or someone involved tell you that, or did you hear it from a friend of a friend of a friend, like over at the Hoffman board?
I wish I could say
Well, your answer most likely rules out a friend of a friend of a friend. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 08, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »

Actually, that has always been my wish, and, while it might be unrealistic, SHOULDN'T have been. I wanted a boxed set (5 CDs?) of all previously released material - hits and key album tracks - from ALL the official studio/live albums. This box would be for those fans who like that kind of career-spanning "safe" songs, packaged together.

Then I would have a boxed set compiled of rarities (released material including obscure singles), UNRELEASED songs, and some outstanding live tracks. No solo stuff. This is for the diehards. Over time, don't you think a box like this would accumulate in sales.

There aren't many artists with the history or legacy of The Beach Boys. What's wrong with 2 boxed sets. Look at all the compilations (especially bootlegs) that Bob Dylan has put out. Even Bruce Springsteen is getting up there with comps.

If this box repeats the contents of 50 Hits, adds in the bonus tracks of the GV box and the 2fers, adds "deep cuts" from the albums - no one is going to buy it.  The fans have all that and will resent paying big bucks for a few new "rarities."  The casual buyer will have bought 50 Hits and be content with that, and not want to buy those songs over again.  If this isn't at least 50% unreleased material I suspect it will be a very hard sell.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 08, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »

In 1993, we had the original 2-fers, Sony/Epic albums, Endless Summer, Spirit of America, Made In USA, and maybe the Absolute Best series available by the time the Good Vibrations Box Set appeared. It sold pretty well despite having all of those other releases out there.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:39:31 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 08, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »

In 1993, we had the original 2-fers, Sony/Epic albums, Endless Summer, Spirit of America, Made In USA, and maybe the Absolute Best series available by the time the Good Vibrations Box Set appeared. It sold pretty well despite having all of those other releases out there.

Not to be a downer but, in 1993 people were buying CD's at a much higher clip.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 08, 2012, 02:49:15 PM »

If it has the full Wild Honey album in Stereo it will sell a million units in January

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 08, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »

If it has the full Wild Honey album in Stereo it will sell a million units in January

If it has the full Wild Honey album in stereo, I personally will buy a million units in January.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 08, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »

I bet that has been taken into account and the units adjusted. Most diehard fans will make the purchase.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 08, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

I bet that has been taken into account and the units adjusted. Most diehard fans will make the purchase.

I'm not convinced by that.  If the box is mostly released stuff with a smattering of new rarities, I would think the majority of fans would simply download the tracks they don't have, either legitimately or not rather than buying the full boxset.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 08, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »

I'm not convinced by that.  If the box is mostly released stuff with a smattering of new rarities, I would think the majority of fans would simply download the tracks they don't have, either legitimately or not rather than buying the full boxset.
If no profit is to be made, then why is Capitol comitting to it? Just to be nice guys? You don't think they know what needs to be sold to make a profit? Do you really think they would release it if they know it will lose money?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 08, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »

I think all you guys are crazy. You reaaaaaaaaaaally don't think they are gonna come up with the goods? That despite coming through big time with the release The SMiLE Sessions, and the remasters of 12 albums, they are gonna screw this up? I highly doubt it. There are quite a few things of The Beach Boys I'd never thought that I'd hear, but I feel extremely confident that in January 2013, I'll be hearing most of those things, and more! They are not just gonna put out a box set with just previously released material. And I highly doubt there are just gonna put like two unreleased songs on this thing. It will be done well. And every day we are getting closer to an announcement regarding the track listing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx