gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681202 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 07:23:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322014 times)
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 07, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »

I freakin' LOVE Brian's version of that cut. I too prefer it to the original, and to me is one of Brian's last otherwordly vocals.

Yeah me too...it's a really terrific vocal. It's a much better performance than a lot of his other seventies vocals...really putting something into it, and the 'gone, gone gone's' are lovely. He sounds very Carl like on these bits.

Backing kicks ass too. Massive fan of the synth bass years Smiley
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 07, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »

just wish the copy didn't have the warble on it - I slowed down the track on this upload from the rarities CD since it sounded sped up on the disc.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 07, 2012, 12:42:42 PM »

AGD mentions the possibility of more Smile material for the box, and it seems Alan Boyd has revealed that more Smile material has been unearthed since last year's box set.

Imagine we get something as gorgeous as Surf's Up (1967).  Brian's Trip

--

On another note, it is interesting that WIBNTLA was vetoed for WOTS, but Lady (obscure, albeit previously released) was included on SLS in 2009.  I'm sure Mike wanted to save it for the 50th releases... dennis

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 07, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »

AGD mentions the possibility of more Smile material for the box, and it seems Alan Boyd has revealed that more Smile material has been unearthed since last year's box set.

Imagine we get something as gorgeous as Surf's Up (1967).  Brian's Trip

--

On another note, it is interesting that WIBNTLA was vetoed for WOTS, but Lady (obscure, albeit previously released) was included on SLS in 2009.  I'm sure Mike wanted to save it for the 50th releases... dennis

Mike is so good to us  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 07, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »

...it seems Alan Boyd has revealed that more Smile material has been unearthed since last year's box set.

I missed that. Can you fill me in?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 07, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »

He said it at the recent lecture he gave apparently  Smiley

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14354.msg326462.html#msg326462

I guess we should assume at this stage that it is not of any great consequence, but very interesting in any case I'd say.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:31:57 PM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 07, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »

He said it at the recent lecture he gave apparently  Smiley

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14354.msg326462.html#msg326462

I guess we should assume at this stage that it is not of any great consequence, but very interesting in any case I'd say.

...he says, only to be surprised to have a version of 'Holidays' on the box set with Mike doing the pirate rap Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 07, 2012, 06:02:06 PM »

I know I'm in the minority here but.... Dear God no more Smile stuff. If disk space was infinite, no problem but as it isn't I'd much rather have as much unreleased 70's era stuff as they can fit over more barnyard noises or yet another variation on the "Bicycle Rider" riff.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #883 on: October 07, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »

I know I'm in the minority here but.... Dear God no more Smile stuff. If disk space was infinite, no problem but as it isn't I'd much rather have as much unreleased 70's era stuff as they can fit over more barnyard noises or yet another variation on the "Bicycle Rider" riff.

6 discs is a heck of a lot of space though. Especially if they weren`t to include any more a capella, track only or live versions. It will be very interesting to see how this disk is split up...

Personally I wouldn`t mind if there was a live disc containing genuine rarities like the covers that they`ve never included on albums and rare/unusual performances.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 07, 2012, 06:59:53 PM »

The bigger the wait is, the higher my hope is getting... i just have totally no idea what the tracklist could look like.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: October 07, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »

I can agree to this too.  I'd welcome Smile stuff on the box obviously but if they didn't include it...I probably wouldn't blink an eye.  I'm quite satisfied with the Smile box and its contents.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #886 on: October 07, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »

Geeze, would you have thought even a year ago that people would be saying things like that?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #887 on: October 08, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »

You're not the actual Mike Love are you?

Anyone who's heard the unsurprassed masters Smile sessions will know there's a fair amount of still unreleased Smile material, especially Vegetables stuff.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 08, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »

Geeze, would you have thought even a year ago that people would be saying things like that?

Totally am with you. Good to put things in perspective every now and then. This here board sometimes looks like some Brazilian river full of pirańhas, all vying for the next single drop of blood.

(The analogy fails, but I liked it anyway...  Grin)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 08, 2012, 12:20:38 AM »

The bigger the wait is, the higher my hope is getting... i just have totally no idea what the tracklist could look like.

Agree but it could be an acetate of a mix we haven't heard.  I doubt they'd put it on the box if it wasn't significant.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 08, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »

I know it's probably not "commercially viable", but I would love it if they included the drums, percussion and organ overdub of It's About Time.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: October 08, 2012, 02:04:37 AM »

AGD mentions the possibility of more Smile material for the box...

Hello ? I said nothing of the sort. Here's what I actually posted, with emphasis for the hard of comprehending:

"Look at it logically (hard for some, I grant, but try...): the 1993 box was, essentially, 4 CDs. Did the unreleased material on those four amount to two CDs worth ? No.

My guess - and it's no more than that, before anyone jumps to conclusions - is that the new box will consist of the Top 40 hits, the classics, more deep catalog cuts than before, tracks representative of the period 1988-2012 and some new archive cuts, hopefully including the ones we've been banging on about for, oh, years. Maybe a solo track or two apiece. More Smile material."

My guess. Even assuming I do have any inkling of what might be on the box, you really think I'd give that broad a hint in an open forum like this one ?  I've built my contacts and sources up over some 35 years and I'd like to hang on to then for a bit longer, thanks very much.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:05:31 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 08, 2012, 02:52:08 AM »

Good morning Andrew,

I didn't say you were dropping a hint.  As basically none of us know what the content will be at this stage,  the inclusion of more Smile material is of course possible as far as we know.  You guessed of said inclusion; to me that is raising this possibility of Smile material being included.  I didn't say that you were making any guarantees.

It obviously goes without saying that most of the time your posts are quite sensible and I thought it was a sensible possibilty for us to consider and highlight in light of Mr Boyd's recent revelation.

Happy listening.

petsoundsnola
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 08, 2012, 03:03:46 AM »

AGD mentions the possibility of more Smile material for the box...

Hello ? I said nothing of the sort. Here's what I actually posted, with emphasis for the hard of comprehending:

"Look at it logically (hard for some, I grant, but try...): the 1993 box was, essentially, 4 CDs. Did the unreleased material on those four amount to two CDs worth ? No.

My guess - and it's no more than that, before anyone jumps to conclusions - is that the new box will consist of the Top 40 hits, the classics, more deep catalog cuts than before, tracks representative of the period 1988-2012 and some new archive cuts, hopefully including the ones we've been banging on about for, oh, years. Maybe a solo track or two apiece. More Smile material."

My guess. Even assuming I do have any inkling of what might be on the box, you really think I'd give that broad a hint in an open forum like this one ?  I've built my contacts and sources up over some 35 years and I'd like to hang on to then for a bit longer, thanks very much.

So which SMiLE tracks are gonna be included, Andrew? Do they sound good?

LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #894 on: October 08, 2012, 03:24:39 AM »

The remixed and remastered "Winkles" is killer.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 08, 2012, 03:33:18 AM »

what about both, and cutting California Girls (stereo mix) ?
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 08, 2012, 05:02:56 AM »

The remixed and remastered "Winkles" is killer.

totally agree...... to the ears, stomach and soul of the listener    Grin

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 08, 2012, 06:38:59 AM »

I understand people have different wants and needs etc, but what I don't understand are all of these unrealistic expectations regarding the box set. This is a retrospective set, not a bootleggers deluxe set. Good Vibrations set did not disappoint in 1993 and I highly doubt that we will be unhappy with the new box set upon it's release, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 08, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »

I understand people have different wants and needs etc, but what I don't understand are all of these unrealistic expectations regarding the box set. This is a retrospective set, not a bootleggers deluxe set. Good Vibrations set did not disappoint in 1993 and I highly doubt that we will be unhappy with the new box set upon it's release, as well.

Sound thinking, doctor. But if the core is the material from the GV set, and it's enriched with deep catalogue material, and there are a couple of solo tracks by Carl, Denny, and perhaps Brian, and there are two rarities to attract collectors, then I think I will pass it up. I can spend those 100+ Euros only once.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #899 on: October 08, 2012, 07:05:12 AM »

I would sincerely hope that, given it's a 6CD set, there will be somewhat more than "two rarities to attract collectors".

Four at least. Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx