gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681487 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 01:30:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322607 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #850 on: October 07, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »

Well, that's not what I heard. I heard from a very very reliable source it was Mike this time around on this box.

That doesn`t mean he is the only one who is allowed to though does it which is what AGD was saying. If Al or Brian or whoever wanted to veto one of their own or Mike`s songs then they could.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 07, 2012, 08:33:21 AM »

Mike is ultimately the one who says yay or nay for the tracks on the boxset. He said he wants it to be more Beach Boys than just an anthology of BW products. So maybe we'll get Country Pie? Or some others from First Love?

No, he's not. Any voting member of BRI can veto any suggested track, just as they did with the 1993 box (Where Carl, Alan & Brian all nixed material) and WOTS (Mike).
Well, that's not what I heard. I heard from a very very reliable source it was Mike this time around on this box.
Did Alan or someone involved tell you that, or did you hear it from a friend of a friend of a friend, like over at the Hoffman board?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #852 on: October 07, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »

No, he's not. Any voting member of BRI can veto any suggested track, just as they did with the 1993 box (Where Carl, Alan & Brian all nixed material) and WOTS (Mike).

Which songs were vetoed?

Soulful Old Man Sunshine?
Let Him Run Wild?
Loop de Loop?

What did Mike veto?

He vetoed WIBNTLA from WOTS, the moron.

I would have done the same thing. It's far less appropriate in that setting than on a box set largely consisting of unreleased material

And, pray tell, who told you that more than half the tracks on a 6CD box will be previously unreleased ?  Allow me to answer for you - no-one did. Because it's not the case.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 07, 2012, 09:00:16 AM »

"Let Him Run Wild" was nixed by Brian himself, no?

I still think he's way wrong on that one. Something tells me Mike told him it was too girly, and made fun of him for it. (Unless of course it was Murry.)

What a friggin' fantastic, perfect vocal, though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #854 on: October 07, 2012, 09:04:56 AM »

I still think he's way wrong on that one. Something tells me Mike told him it was too girly, and made fun of him for it. (Unless of course it was Murry.)

Yeah, that goddam Mike Love - everything that the band ever did wrong, or went amiss, is his doing, and his alone. His fault Dennis drowned... hell, I'll bet he even gave Carl cancer and caused Murry's heart attack. Is there no limit to his evil ? I'll wager the Bloo was really his idea too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:06:14 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #855 on: October 07, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »

Which songs were vetoed?

Soulful Old Man Sunshine?
Let Him Run Wild?
Loop de Loop?

What did Mike veto?

He vetoed WIBNTLA from WOTS, the moron.

I would have done the same thing. It's far less appropriate in that setting than on a box set largely consisting of unreleased material

And, pray tell, who told you that more than half the tracks on a 6CD box will be previously unreleased ?  Allow me to answer for you - no-one did. Because it's not the case.

Not the case? So that means we're either going to get a) less than 3 CDs worth of previously unreleased material (i.e. not more than half), otherwise it's b) the entire box will be previously unreleased material (nice, but unlikely).
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 07, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »

And, pray tell, who told you that more than half the tracks on a 6CD box will be previously unreleased ?  Allow me to answer for you - no-one did. Because it's not the case.

Don't talk to me like that you rude little man. It's totally uncalled for.

I didn't even SAY I know that's what the box is going to be like...just said it would be better than sticking it on some random comp.

The smile you send out returns to you. Or whatever.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: October 07, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »

Look at it logically (hard for some, I grant, but try...): the 1993 box was, essentially, 4 CDs. Did the unreleased material on those four amount to two CDs worth ? No.

My guess - and it's no more than that, before anyone jumps to conclusions - is that the new box will consist of the Top 40 hits, the classics, more deep catalog cuts than before, tracks representative of the period 1988-2012 and some new archive cuts, hopefully including the ones we've been banging on about for, oh, years. Maybe a solo track or two apiece. More Smile material.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #858 on: October 07, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »

That dreaded phrase: ''tracks representative of the period 1988-2012''
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: October 07, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »

And, pray tell, who told you that more than half the tracks on a 6CD box will be previously unreleased ?  Allow me to answer for you - no-one did. Because it's not the case.

Don't talk to me like that you rude little man. It's totally uncalled for.

I didn't even SAY I know that's what the box is going to be like...just said it would be better than sticking it on some random comp.

The smile you send out returns to you. Or whatever.

You checked the title of this thread recently ?  It's concerned with the upcoming new box set. I assumed, naively, that this was the box you were referring to. I apologise for granting you the facility of logical thought.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 07, 2012, 09:24:09 AM »

Yeah, that goddam Mike Love - everything that the band ever did wrong, or went amiss, is his doing, and his alone. His fault Dennis drowned... hell, I'll bet he even gave Carl cancer and caused Murry's heart attack. Is there no limit to his evil ? I'll wager the Bloo was really his idea too.

OK, OK, maybe Mike didn't say that. Maybe it was Murry. Maybe it was just Brian, unbidden by outside castigation. I just have a hard time thinking that a guy could deliberately record a vocal that beautiful, then years later start getting down on himself for being too girly or too unmanly without having somebody bug him to prompt that. There are bunches of interviews in the 70s where he seems to have become worried and revisionist about his wonderful falsetto/soprano singing in the past.

I'm not a person who says Mike Love is evil incarnate and responsible for all the world's ills--but hey: it's undeniably true that he has put his foot in his own mouth rather poorly a number of times. (His LA Times article this week being a MAJOR exception.) Once again, it could've been Murry. Maybe it was the Surfer Nazi, who knows.

Jesus, AGD, I'm merely suggesting the possibility. Don't start putting words in my mouth.
Nicko1234
« Reply #861 on: October 07, 2012, 09:25:26 AM »

You checked the title of this thread recently ?  It's concerned with the upcoming new box set. I assumed, naively, that this was the box you were referring to. I apologise for granting you the facility of logical thought.

Are you experimenting with the dosage or something?
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 07, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »

Doe,

You can't understand the difference between hopeful speculation and making a claim regarding the actual contents of a box set that hasn't even been released yet?

You're the guy who has a problem with logical thought.  LOL

If hanging out on Beach Boys forums makes you unhappy/grumpy/unpleasant, perhaps you should try some other pursuits.
Jason
« Reply #863 on: October 07, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »

All of you either take it to PMs or you're all going to be banned.
Nicko1234
« Reply #864 on: October 07, 2012, 09:55:02 AM »

Getting back on topic...

I too am glad that WIBNTLA wasn`t included on the WOTS compilation. Compilations shouldn`t include just 1 unreleased track imo as it is taking the proverbial out of the fans (not that I`m saying that was Mike`s reasoning).

For the upcoming box-set I would hope that they wouldn`t include much solo material (if any at all). I suppose though that there could be some huge gaps in the 1988-2012 period if they didn`t. So maybe things like Cool Head, Warm Heart and one or two Brian things might appear. Along with Don`t Fight the Sea from Al`s album I guess.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: October 07, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »

OK, OK, maybe Mike didn't say that. Maybe it was Murry. Maybe it was just Brian, unbidden by outside castigation. I just have a hard time thinking that a guy could deliberately record a vocal that beautiful, then years later start getting down on himself for being too girly or too unmanly without having somebody bug him to prompt that. There are bunches of interviews in the 70s where he seems to have become worried and revisionist about his wonderful falsetto/soprano singing in the past.

I'm not a person who says Mike Love is evil incarnate and responsible for all the world's ills--but hey: it's undeniably true that he has put his foot in his own mouth rather poorly a number of times. (His LA Times article this week being a MAJOR exception.) Once again, it could've been Murry. Maybe it was the Surfer Nazi, who knows.

Jesus, AGD, I'm merely suggesting the possibility. Don't start putting words in my mouth.

Brian's on record as saying he hates the vocal because he rushed it and he thinks sounds like a girl.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 07, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »

If it's a good mixture of released/unreleased/remixed like the GV set, I'll be happy.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 07, 2012, 10:02:29 AM »

Funny because it's amazing  LOL

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 07, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »

[/quote]

Brian's on record as saying he hates the vocal because he rushed it and he thinks sounds like a girl.
[/quote]

I've heard the "girl" comment, but not the "rushed" comment. Is the "rushed" thing a really obscure quote? I haven't read it. But I haven't read absolutely everything, so my bad.

I was lumping the "girl" thing ("petulant" was used also in that quote, yes?) in with that spate of comments about his falsetto/soprano in general. I was drawing a speculative conclusion about all that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #869 on: October 07, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »

Interview for the 1993 box set, I think. Can't quote exactly but he said something like "I rushed my vocal on that, maybe I was late for a bowling date or something".

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #870 on: October 07, 2012, 11:10:38 AM »

All of you either take it to PMs or you're all going to be banned.

Agreed.

It seems like we're all on edge lately. Too much negativity, too much hostility. It stops now. I don't care *who* it is, it ends here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #871 on: October 07, 2012, 11:36:18 AM »

Interview for the 1993 box set, I think. Can't quote exactly but he said something like "I rushed my vocal on that, maybe I was late for a bowling date or something".

Realise i'm in the minority here, but i agree with Brian on this, always have - his vocal is too shrill. Great song, but his vocal stops it being a favourite for me - and i'm someone who otherwise adores Brian's early singing voice.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 07, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »

"Let Him Run Wild" is one of my absolute favorite pre-Pet Sounds BBs tunes, and I think B-Dub's voice sounds amazing on it.  I've never understood his dislike for his vocal.

If it's a good mixture of released/unreleased/remixed like the GV set, I'll be happy.

Me too.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #873 on: October 07, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »

wait what? are you all saying there exists BW version of You've lost that lovin' feeling? in addition to our beloved BB cover of Just once in my life?  Thud Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeMhUNd439s

Well I guess we don't need it on the box set now.  It's on Youtube.  And it's pretty awful.

Youtube is no substitute for cd quality!!!
But, yeah, I don't think it's any great shakes. Especially compared to the, um, righteousness of the original version.

Really guys? I'm kinda surprised. I think Brian's version of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" is one of the best unreleased things I've heard from The Beach Boys vault. It's a great performance by Brian, and crazy as it sounds, I might even prefer his version to the Righteous Brothers, as wonderful as their version is.

i think Brian's version is good but not very much more. I like the piano sound. Presley's version of that song beats any I've ever heard, though.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #874 on: October 07, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »

I freakin' LOVE Brian's version of that cut. I too prefer it to the original, and to me is one of Brian's last otherwordly vocals.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx