gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 09:38:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322659 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 01, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »

I would guess that, IF Mike is the one changing the track order (note the big "if") it is because he wants less of his own unreleased material. Or less of Dennis' stuff.

Surely Mike must be over the whole Dennis thing by now? The poor guy's been dead three decades. POB sold really well didn't it? I just don't see the justification in Mike pulling Denny tracks. I really hope it doesn't turn out to be true.

I'd like to believe that as well. But I get the impression that Dennis' own bad behavior overshadows his artistic accomplishments... At least in Mike's mind.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 01, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »

We need to stop speculating - folks are just getting wound up - and either start searching for facts, or simply await the box before judging its contents.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:46:23 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 01, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »

Well, I don't give too much about the Mike Love-rumour. Somebody posted a few weeks ago that Mark London told him someone f*cked up the tracklist but that doesn't sound like Mike wanted it to be changed to me.
Besides, what unreleased Mike material could replace Brian's? There's not enough interesting material even in his released stuff that could fill a disc. Mike knows that a Beach Boys release with Brian Wilson's name on it will sell like crazy.
He's not very keen on releasing archive material but I don't think he would do what is claimed he did.

Perhaps Myke had a problem with what Brian's singing on 'Drip Drop' would do to the bands (and his) image  Grin
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #703 on: October 02, 2012, 04:14:17 PM »

well, I don't need to hear that song in any better quality at the expensive of a song I haven't heard at all.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 03, 2012, 12:51:26 AM »

So what's the status on the Mike Love nixing tracks from the box story? On stevehoffman.tv the thread were some supposed insider told about how Mike nixed various amazing 70s demos from the box has been closed. Where there's smoke there's fire?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: October 03, 2012, 01:14:52 AM »

So what's the status on the Mike Love nixing tracks from the box story? On stevehoffman.tv the thread were some supposed insider told about how Mike nixed various amazing 70s demos from the box has been closed. Where there's smoke there's fire?

Simply put, one of the sources for that story is a person who was banned here for being fucking crazy and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him, and the other is an unknown quantity.

As it's another story of how Mike Love is being a twat, in the current climate, I'd say it wasn't the fire we're looking for.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 03, 2012, 01:54:01 AM »

If Mike doesn't want something on the box, there's a darn good reason behind it and we should respect his wishes. Mike has spent his entire career protecting the BBs legacy. He only has the band's best interests in mind, and you'd be a fool to doubt. Maybe you think Brian losing it in the studio and recording "Teardrops on my Bed" makes for good listening, but forgive Mike for wanting to protect Brian from harsh scrutiny of the broader public!  Angry
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 03, 2012, 02:20:05 AM »

If Mike doesn't want something on the box, there's a darn good reason behind it and we should respect his wishes. Mike has spent his entire career protecting the BBs legacy. He only has the band's best interests in mind, and you'd be a fool to doubt. Maybe you think Brian losing it in the studio and recording "Teardrops on my Bed" makes for good listening, but forgive Mike for wanting to protect Brian from harsh scrutiny of the broader public!  Angry

I don't know where to start with this.

First off - are you joking?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #708 on: October 03, 2012, 02:26:03 AM »

clearly trolling, he's posted similar things in a few different threads now.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:44:17 AM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #709 on: October 03, 2012, 02:26:18 AM »

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:44:09 AM by Aegir » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 03, 2012, 02:31:03 AM »

clearing trolling, he's posted similar things in a few different threads now.

yeah, this was just the first one I read and I'm bored in the office. An argument about Mike Love is a guaranteed time killer, I find.  Grin

Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 03, 2012, 02:48:24 AM »

I'd like to believe that as well. But I get the impression that Dennis' own bad behavior overshadows his artistic accomplishments... At least in Mike's mind.

The evidence doesn't back that up though does it.

Dennis 's songs were included on the previous box set, Hawthorne, Endless Harmony, Summer Love Songs etc. without a problem. No reason there should be one now.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 03, 2012, 04:20:33 AM »

The evidence doesn't back that up though does it.

Dennis 's songs were included on the previous box set, Hawthorne, Endless Harmony, Summer Love Songs etc. without a problem. No reason there should be one now.

Annnnd that's a good point. I suppose I was thinking about Mike's attitude toward DW in interviews. But yah, the songs do seem to trickle out.
MBE
« Reply #713 on: October 03, 2012, 04:36:10 AM »

Mike in the early seventies was vocal about liking songs like Cuddle Up and I've Got A Friend even calling the latter a favorite song of his period. The problems Dennis had in the last six years of his life probably do color some of what Mike feels, but to be fair I think he has more recently been more apt to  bring up some good qualites in Dennis. I don't agree that Dennis' work is subjective as Mike once put it, personal yes, but unlike some of Lennon's post Beatles work for instance I feel Dennis touched on universal feelings most of the time.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 03, 2012, 06:51:38 AM »

It would be slightly surprising if Mike did have issues with the tracklisting as many songs that he has a writing credit on ought to be certs for the set. Obviously the classic songs with Brian but also rarish tracks like It's a Beautiful Day, Rock n Roll to the Rescue, Somewhere Near Japan (45 mix), Summer in Paradise( UK version) etc that weren't included on the previous box. As he allowed the first box to be released then there shouldn't be an issue now.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 03, 2012, 08:24:13 AM »

It would be slightly surprising if Mike did have issues with the tracklisting as many songs that he has a writing credit on ought to be certs for the set. Obviously the classic songs with Brian but also rarish tracks like It's a Beautiful Day, Rock n Roll to the Rescue, Somewhere Near Japan (45 mix), Summer in Paradise( UK version) etc that weren't included on the previous box. As he allowed the first box to be released then there shouldn't be an issue now.

There really should be two box sets: One containing already released rarities and out of print stuff such as "It's A Beautiful Day", "Sea Cruise", all the twofer tracks, all the single edits and mixes, the erroneous '76 "Come And Go With Me", etc. etc. etc. etc. (there's a lot of this sh*t) and then a second containing new unreleased tracks and, if you must, the hits (it's happening regardless of if you like it or not, sadly).

Unfortunately, we'll likely see a combination of both, and I'm expecting a lot or possibly even all the previously release twofer tracks comprising most of it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #716 on: October 03, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »

There really should be two box sets: One containing already released rarities and out of print stuff such as "It's A Beautiful Day", "Sea Cruise", all the twofer tracks, all the single edits and mixes, the erroneous '76 "Come And Go With Me", etc. etc. etc. etc. (there's a lot of this sh*t) and then a second containing new unreleased tracks and, if you must, the hits (it's happening regardless of if you like it or not, sadly).

Unfortunately, we'll likely see a combination of both, and I'm expecting a lot or possibly even all the previously release twofer tracks comprising most of it.

You've been hanging out with the Cohen of Silence for too long. Chill.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 03, 2012, 10:01:45 AM »

There should be plenty of room on the new box - 2 more disks than the GV set and half a disk will not be taken up with Smile material.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 03, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »

I wish they would just release the track list already.  Angry
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 03, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »

You've been hanging out with the Cohen of Silence for too long. Chill.

lawl, I knew someone would accuse me of being Cohenesque in that post. Really, though, I want to see those tracks (as well as the stuff from the now out of print 1993 box set) remain in circulation somehow, thus I'd have mixed feelings if they all appeared on this box set.

Still. I'll take your word for it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: October 03, 2012, 10:45:48 AM »

Andrew, I'm not sure that you know or are at liberty to say, but has the track list changes all been addressed now?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:48:18 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:46 AM »

To those in the know (and I know there are a lot of you on this board):

What are the odds that "You're Still A Mystery" could make it onto this box?  To me, it's one of if not THE very best unreleased tunes the BBs ever recorded.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #722 on: October 03, 2012, 11:00:55 AM »

I'd be very dubious: it's originally a BW solo track, and I think the ownership of the BB version is still unclear.

Andrew, I'm not sure that you know or are at liberty to say, but has the track list changes all been addressed now?

Correct.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:04:39 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 03, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »

Cry

Thanks AGD.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 03, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »

To those in the know (and I know there are a lot of you on this board):

What are the odds that "You're Still A Mystery" could make it onto this box?  To me, it's one of if not THE very best unreleased tunes the BBs ever recorded.

I hope it makes the cut, although what AGD noted is correct.  I love that song though and personally I can't see how a BW remake of it could sound any better than the BB version.  Release The BB VERSION

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx