gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681487 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 01:06:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322604 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: September 20, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »

Any guesses as to why it's been put back?

Only the release of all the Beatles albums on vinyl, in newly remastered ANALOGUE stereo, shipping November 13.

Individually or in a box set with booklet.

According to Music Direct.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 20, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »

Phil's gonna have a field day with this......

Yeah, yeah… I have an image of Phil kicking AGD's frayed, bloodied corpse around the streets of London, laughing hysterically and…

Oh hang on, no I haven't.

LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 20, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »

Only the release of all the Beatles albums on vinyl, in newly remastered ANALOGUE stereo, shipping November 13.

OMG, I'm going to have no money left.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #528 on: September 20, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »

well the world IS suppsed to end Dec 21st,so i guess we'll NEVER get to hear the boxset if the date has been change to Jan...oh well.. Cry Cry

Actually, the ending of the world has been pushed back to sometime early spring 2013 according to my (imaginary) sources.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 20, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »

If they were only REMIXED..

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 20, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »

ANALOGUE

... Oh my God.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:29:16 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 20, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »

If it's copied to digital and then back to analog, is is really still "analog"?  All of the restoration was done in the digital realm.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-100303-the-beatles-the-beatles-stereo-box-set-limited-edition-16lp-box-set-43-book.aspx?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=9-20-12&utm_content=&utm_campaign=soundbytes&

"At the start of the restoration process, engineers conducted extensive tests before copying the analog master tapes into the digital realm using 24-bit/192 kHz resolution and a Prism A-D converter. "
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 20, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »

If it's copied to digital and then back to analog, is is really still "analog"?  All of the restoration was done in the digital realm.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 20, 2012, 01:08:39 PM »

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-100303-the-beatles-the-beatles-stereo-box-set-limited-edition-16lp-box-set-43-book.aspx?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=9-20-12&utm_content=&utm_campaign=soundbytes&

"At the start of the restoration process, engineers conducted extensive tests before copying the analog master tapes into the digital realm using 24-bit/192 kHz resolution and a Prism A-D converter. "

I wasn't gonna say anything, but yeah, you're right. I'm happy with my CD's and the bundle of vinyl I already have.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 20, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »

The way vinyl lathes are set up these days, there is no such thing as a true analogue cut. The audio is digitally delayed, to give the cutting head advance notice of loud bits etc, so it can move at exactly the right moment.

I guess they could have set up to do the delay via a tape machine, but being as most laymen don't know how a cutting lathe works, they may well have not bothered.

Still, the world isn't exactly wanting for original Beatles vinyl. I've got three copies of the White Album, and I don't even like them! They sold millions and millions of copies...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:22:19 PM by BergenWhitesMoustache » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 20, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »

For it to be a true sound, it'd have to be done entirely through analog, stick with the originals.

PhilCohen
« Reply #536 on: September 20, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »

With the "reunion" Beach Boys coming to an end, do you think that Capitol will see any reason to release any more Beach Boys archival CD product after the two greatest hits sets and the 12 back catalogue reissues? If the reunited group did sign a 3-album contract, do you think that Capitol will still want a 2nd & 3rd album from a defunct group, and if so, what would the group supply to Capitol? A live album? The outtakes from "That's Why God Made The Radio"?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 20, 2012, 03:13:09 PM »

Someone mentioned above that Mark Linett (I believe it was Linett) mentioned that they recently reconfigured the box set itself so as of just recently the box set was/is still a work in progress.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: September 20, 2012, 03:16:55 PM »

Mark London...was close though!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 20, 2012, 03:21:36 PM »

With the "reunion" Beach Boys coming to an end, do you think that Capitol will see any reason to release any more Beach Boys archival CD product after the two greatest hits sets and the 12 back catalogue reissues?

Yes, and one reason can be summarized in a simple character: $.

In any case, Endless Harmony was released after the band splintered following Carl Wilson's death, and Hawthorne, CA was released several years after that.  The fact that the reunion tour will not be going on into January is thus not a reason to suspect a non-release of this box.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: September 20, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »

Someone mentioned above that Mark Linett (I believe it was Linett) mentioned that they recently reconfigured the box set itself so as of just recently the box set was/is still a work in progress.

I subsequently answered my own question:

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 21, 2012, 01:30:20 AM »

Runnersdialzero, you're getting weirder every day.  Brow

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 21, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »

well the world IS suppsed to end Dec 21st,so i guess we'll NEVER get to hear the boxset if the date has been change to Jan...oh well.. Cry Cry
But, wouldn't it be nice to live again?  Azn
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 24, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »

More rampant Surf's Up speculation here: Does the copycat backing track they cut in '71 for the album still survive? And is it just the first half? That would be cool, I'd love to hear that.
What is this you describe?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 24, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »

I'm really curious as to what will be on the box set for the last disc (not bonus disc) but the one basically ends the Beach Boys recording career (ending with TWGMTR). Like what songs will be on there from the 90s? the proposed "reunion" tracks? what tracks from Stars and Stripes? What from SIP, if included? What from Still Cruisin (besides Kokomo).

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 25, 2012, 01:32:43 AM »

More rampant Surf's Up speculation here: Does the copycat backing track they cut in '71 for the album still survive? And is it just the first half? That would be cool, I'd love to hear that.

During press for TSS, Alan and Mark (I think) mentioned that the original plan for Surf's Up in 1971 was to sync up Brian's demo to the original instrumental track. But as the tracks don't sync up and the technology wasn't there to sync them up like you can now, they made a replica backing track using many of the same musicians for the purpose. I presume that didn't work either, so they just got Carl to sing over the original.

(For the life of me I can't remember whether they said that session still existed in the vaults, but they did mention it)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 25, 2012, 03:34:32 AM »

I don't think it does, I remember hearing otherwise...

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 25, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »

During press for TSS, Alan and Mark (I think) mentioned that the original plan for Surf's Up in 1971 was to sync up Brian's demo to the original instrumental track. But as the tracks don't sync up and the technology wasn't there to sync them up like you can now, they made a replica backing track using many of the same musicians for the purpose. I presume that didn't work either, so they just got Carl to sing over the original.

(For the life of me I can't remember whether they said that session still existed in the vaults, but they did mention it)
Really? I don't remember hearing about this. Was it in the Smile book (from the TSS box?) or some other source?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 25, 2012, 11:29:42 AM »

I think the '71 attempt at re-recording the first part was known about prior to TSS. I'm not sure why it wouldn't exist anymore, I don't recall anyone saying it didn't.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 25, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »

I don't think it does, I remember hearing otherwise...

I think the '71 attempt at re-recording the first part was known about prior to TSS. I'm not sure why it wouldn't exist anymore, I don't recall anyone saying it didn't.

c-man to thread, I guess!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx