gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 03:52:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322624 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 18, 2012, 02:08:00 AM »

The worse thing about this is that Phil will now post a long-winded diatribe against Capitol, The Beach Boys and Andrew.

Well, then, here it goes. Mr.Doe has always seen our disputes in terms of one person "winning" & another person "losing".

Wrong - I've invariably seen it as you talking depressive yet complete bollocks without having the first idea what's really going on and me pointing out the latter fact for the sake of anyone who might be misguided enough to believe you.

Here's the bottom line - everything, but EVERYTHING you've claimed would never be released, has been. This winning streak will continue for the forseeable future. Fact.  Grin

Also, if the box is bounced to 2013, it's nothing new: there was a box supposed to be released in 1966 that was over a year late, and as I recall the delay didn't hurt it at all. Can't speak for Mr.Piss-on-everyone's-parade, but life will go on for me, and I'm sure the delay will be worth the wait. Took 44 years to get the Smile sessions out...

I take it you meant 1996 instead of 1966?

correcting AGD is a pleasurable thing...

No. it's a well-known fact that the original release format for Pet Sounds was going to be a 13-disc box comprising single sided 78s of each track for the best possible fidelity. It was finally released in fall 1967. I have the only known copy.

LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
PhilCohen
« Reply #426 on: September 18, 2012, 03:41:53 AM »

The deletion of the "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" box set(now bringing big money on the collectors market), the (possible) non-arrival of the "Made in California" box, coupled with the possible deletion of the "Two-Fer" series would put more than half of The Beach Boys recorded works out of print. After all, there is no indication that the one album per CD reissue series will continue with further albums beyond the 12 that were released in Japan back in July.

Perhaps the best idea, would be for the availability of the 12 one album per disc reissues to be for a limited time, for the "twofer" discs to stay in print, and for the "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" box set to be reissued. Having more than half of The Beach Boys recordings disappear from the market is not a good idea. The 2012 reissue campaign seems to have been poorly coordinated.

I suppose that all the recordings that will disappear from the market will be kept in circulation through homemade copies or illegal downloads, but does that situation really benefit The Beach Boys or Capitol? Obviously, it doesn't.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: September 18, 2012, 05:43:04 AM »

It's possible that tomorrow morning Karen Allen will knock on my door and beg me to be her sex slave.

Somehow, I doubt that will happen... but you can't deny, it's possible.  However, I strongly suspect the (possible) non-release of the new box would give Cohen far greater pleasure.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2012, 05:53:12 AM »

Mods, please ban this asshole already! He doesn't want any BBs material to be released for the sake of his sick obsession of taking on AGD.

I'd hazard that you're probably the bigger asshole.  Afro
Foda off, your a whiney little girl who complains about random "defects" on BBs releases.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2012, 06:01:57 AM »

It's possible that tomorrow morning Karen Allen will knock on my door and beg me to be her sex slave.

Somehow, I doubt that will happen... but you can't deny, it's possible.  However, I strongly suspect the (possible) non-release of the new box would give Cohen far greater pleasure.
A fellow Karen Allen drooler!  Smiley Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: September 18, 2012, 06:06:37 AM »

A fellow Karen Allen drooler!  Smiley Smiley

And proud so to be.  Grin

PhilCohen
« Reply #431 on: September 18, 2012, 07:29:02 AM »

This situation with the proposed box set, and the attitudes of many people on this board, make me not want to listen to any Beach Boys music for a long,long time. It's early morning here, and I'll shortly ride my exercise bike. I always play some music during my 30 minute "ride". This morning I'll be playing Jazz-Rock fusion music.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person unhappy about the non-release of the box set, but now many of you want to unleash your frustrations on me.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 18, 2012, 07:39:33 AM »

This situation with the proposed box set, and the attitudes of many people on this board, make me not want to listen to any Beach Boys music for a long,long time. It's early morning here, and I'll shortly ride my exercise bike. I always play some music during my 30 minute "ride". This morning I'll be playing Jazz-Rock fusion music.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person unhappy about the non-release of the box set, but now many of you want to unleash your frustrations on me.

Phil, you are one wacked dude! How you would allow a release, or lack thereof to affect your listening pleasure is beyond normal.

Plus, there has been no firm confirmation from Capitol that the Box is delayed, has there?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 18, 2012, 07:45:55 AM »

If anonymous person behind a shiny screen has enough power over you to make you feel down and wanna stop listening to the BB then perhaps a break from the internet is what you really need.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 18, 2012, 08:42:54 AM »

Phil - You have got to be the biggest drama queen and attention whore I have ever seen on the whole internet.  There has been no announcement by Capitol of a release date, just some random sites and distributors coming up with some possible dates.  So technically, nothing has been delayed because no date has been officially announced.  You just want it NOW NOW NOW.  All I read from you last year, month after month, was how The SMiLE Sessions was NOT coming out.  Are you mentally ill or something?  You must feed off angering people to gratify yourself or you are so unstable that the slightest bad news pushes you over the edge.  If the box is truly delayed until next year, then it's a shame we won't get to enjoy it sooner.  But it is coming.  Have some optimism.  How about that for your New Year's Resolution?  Thinking positive!

As far as things going out of print, they will still be available for years to come.  Even a 10 year old will figure out a way to "get" these two-fers one way or the other.  They even carry most of the two-fers, plus the GV and Pet Sounds box at my local library.  Life goes on even when things go out of print.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: September 18, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »

I'm thinking these things were taken out of print as they will likely re-appear in remastered form soon. Not specifically the GV box set remastered, but seeing a lot of the rarities from it in remastered form on the Made In California box set or something similar.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #436 on: September 18, 2012, 09:23:46 AM »

"It's possible that tomorrow morning Karen Allen will knock on my door and beg me to be her sex slave."

I'll send her around when she's finished. Might be some time.  My fault: not hers. But neither of us are complaining...  Razz
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 18, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »

AGD digs sloppy seconds.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
PhilCohen
« Reply #438 on: September 18, 2012, 09:58:42 AM »

If anonymous person behind a shiny screen has enough power over you to make you feel down and wanna stop listening to the BB then perhaps a break from the internet is what you really need.

Actually, some friends & one family member have, in recent years suggested that I should find a new hobby; not as an alternative to computer use, but rather, as an alternative to music collecting. I've been at it(with music collecting) since a time when The Beatles' latest album was "Revolver". It's been a long time.....since 1966.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: September 18, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »

Delete 'hobby', replace with 'obsession'.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 18, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »

Actually, some friends & one family member have, in recent years suggested that I should find a new hobby; not as an alternative to computer use, but rather, as an alternative to music collecting. I've been at it(with music collecting) since a time when The Beatles' latest album was "Revolver". It's been a long time.....since 1966.

replace 'hobby' with 'outlook on life' and I think you'll be good to go.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 18, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »

I think you are the only person here unhappy about the non-release of the box set.  Some here seem frustrated because the box may have been pushed out a couple of months.  Me, no frustrations here.  Just as with The Smile Sessions box, I will patiently sit and wait for the official announcement of the release date and package details.  Heck, I don't even need a tracklist...I'm going to buy the thing anyway.  

You know, the weatherman said it was supposed to be sunny here this morning, and it's not.  It's cloudy.  I can't see the sun.  I don't think the sun is ever going to shine again, which is, you know, a shame.  Try to have a good day anyway, Phil.  I know I will.  

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:24:49 AM by LostArt » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 18, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »

Maybe just dig a bit deeper? Could it be that you're jaded with the mainstream bands and need to fully check out the bottomless pit of brilliant sixties and seventies music rather than focusing so much on the mainstream. I dunno, maybe you do already.

There is so much cool stuff out there. There's a reason you'll never find me obsessing about the minutiae of the different pressings/masterings of Beach Boys albums, it's because there is some screaming mid sixties Polish garage band I'm digging at the moment, or whatever.
PhilCohen
« Reply #443 on: September 18, 2012, 11:05:47 AM »

Delete 'hobby', replace with 'obsession'.

Mr.Doe, most people who are collectors, especially completest collectors (whether they collect comic books, baseball cards, records etc.) are, by definition obsessive.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 18, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »

Some of Phil's complaints are 100% valid. Some are a little silly (i.e. "the release date has been pushed back, it's obviously never coming out"). I feel like the distinction should be made because most people just peg him as a hysteric who only speaks irrationally when that's not true, and they go further to discredit said valid complaints based on something he said elsewhere or they use him to discredit people who have the same stance as him. Not cool.

JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT. Phil's okay. Carry on.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #445 on: September 18, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »

Originally, until the box set apparently fell into limbo, this 50th anniversary Compact Disc campaign had three parts. They were:

1. 1-CD & 2-CD greatest hits sets aimed at casual consumers; people who might see these 1-CD & 2-CD compilations in the racks at their local record shop or department store, and say to themselves, "I heard that The Beach Boys have recently reunited. I don't have much of their music in my collection, and these greatest hits packages have all or most of the Beach Boys hits that I remember. I think I'll buy this."

2. Twelve reissues of original albums. People who already have a greatest hits CD in their collection, and are seeking to delve deeper into the group's music may pick up some of the Beach Boys albums that they remember best, or may have once owned on vinyl or cassette. In addition, the CD debut of the mono mixes of 5 albums, and the first time in stereo release of 4 albums mean that at least 9 of these reissues will also be purchased by Beach Boys completests; hard-core fans.

3. A box set which is a collectors product that will only be purchased by completest, hard-core fans.

Obviously, after it was decided to release the 12 back catalogue discs internationally(I.E. outside Japan), there were manufacturing delays, forcing the September to October postponement. Were the 12 discs newly mastered for the international release? We don't know yet.

But the dilemma that Capitol's marketing people have is this: because the market for the 12 catalogue CD's partly overlaps with the market for a box set, would releasing the box set within the same season as the 12 catalogue CD's hurt sales on the 12 catalogue CD's? Perhaps, but the avid fans have already decided whether to buy the box set, and whether they will buy some or all of the 12 catalogue CD's.

Capitol has obviously decided that the market can't absorb (I.E. afford) having the 12 catalogue CD's & the box set released within the same season.

Do I resent Capitol? Yes. They were the ones who, earlier in 2012 promised a career-spanning box set "later this year".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 18, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »

The wizard of Farnham looked into his crystal ball and saw otherwise....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Paulos
« Reply #447 on: September 18, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »

Originally, until the box set apparently fell into limbo, this 50th anniversary Compact Disc campaign had three parts. They were:

1. 1-CD & 2-CD greatest hits sets aimed at casual consumers; people who might see these 1-CD & 2-CD compilations in the racks at their local record shop or department store, and say to themselves, "I heard that The Beach Boys have recently reunited. I don't have much of their music in my collection, and these greatest hits packages have all or most of the Beach Boys hits that I remember. I think I'll buy this."

2. Twelve reissues of original albums. People who already have a greatest hits CD in their collection, and are seeking to delve deeper into the group's music may pick up some of the Beach Boys albums that they remember best, or may have once owned on vinyl or cassette. In addition, the CD debut of the mono mixes of 5 albums, and the first time in stereo release of 4 albums mean that at least 9 of these reissues will also be purchased by Beach Boys completests; hard-core fans.

3. A box set which is a collectors product that will only be purchased by completest, hard-core fans.

Obviously, after it was decided to release the 12 back catalogue discs internationally(I.E. outside Japan), there were manufacturing delays, forcing the September to October postponement. Were the 12 discs newly mastered for the international release? We don't know yet.

But the dilemma that Capitol's marketing people have is this: because the market for the 12 catalogue CD's partly overlaps with the market for a box set, would releasing the box set within the same season as the 12 catalogue CD's hurt sales on the 12 catalogue CD's? Perhaps, but the avid fans have already decided whether to buy the box set, and whether they will buy some or all of the 12 catalogue CD's.

Capitol has obviously decided that the market can't absorb (I.E. afford) having the 12 catalogue CD's & the box set released within the same season.

Do I resent Capitol? Yes. They were the ones who, earlier in 2012 promised a career-spanning box set "later this year".

The box set can't be in limbo, the Pope decided a few years ago that limbo no longer existed so your argument is invalid.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 18, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »

the Pope decided a few years ago that limbo no longer existed

WHAT NOW, POPE?

f*** YOU POPE I LIMBO WHEN I WANT AND I DO SO AT THE INTERNATIONAL FUN-SHOP I'M THE REAL REBEL EVERY DAMN DAY

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paulos
« Reply #449 on: September 18, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »

the Pope decided a few years ago that limbo no longer existed

WHAT NOW, POPE?

f*** YOU POPE I LIMBO WHEN I WANT AND I DO SO AT THE INTERNATIONAL FUN-SHOP I'M THE REAL REBEL EVERY DAMN DAY

It would seem that Pope Benedict lied to us, just like Capitol!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx