gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 06:18:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322641 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »

All i have to see is "Disk 3- Track 25. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" and i'll order.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 03, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »

Sadly, it was moved to track 23 in the 11th hour. ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »

Well, what I mean is, it has to end the CD containing the Surf's Up Material.

over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:53 PM »

Sadly, it was moved to track 23 in the 11th hour. ;(

But after track 23 comes 24, which is "In The Back Of My Mind" (The 1975 piano demo)  Grin

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2012, 08:54:24 PM »

I know. It was to be track 25, but was moved behind two alternate duophonic mixes of "Student Demonstration Time" ;( sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2012, 09:06:58 PM »

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2012, 09:47:10 PM »

I know. It was to be track 25, but was moved behind two alternate duophonic mixes of "Student Demonstration Time" ;( sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

And those tracks are preceded by a spoken intro by Mike Love explaining how politically relevant the song was. 

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2012, 11:43:57 PM »

Still reckon the box set date announcement will be made around the time of the Grammy Museum and UK shows, with a track list around the same time.

In fact I've heard the current set lists have been thrown out of the window for two UK shows and they'll have completely different set lists for these.

The first, Royal Albert Hall will feature a selection of songs from discs 1-3 of the set, while the Wembley Arena show will pick up with discs 4-6 material.

My Platinum VIP Higgs Bosun Ticket, for which I paid $1m in used dollar bills handed to Bruce Johnston personally from the trunk of a car parked under the Golden Gate Bridge after midnight gave me access to to the London gig rehearsals.

Last night I had the privilege of hearing them run through Running Bear, Beatrice From Baltimore, Hey Little Tomboy (which had some neat spoken word sections - you'll love them!) and a version of Star Spangled Banner that makes Jimmi Hendrix's version sound like something a guitarist would put out.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 04, 2012, 12:11:34 AM »

Still reckon the box set date announcement will be made around the time of the Grammy Museum and UK shows, with a track list around the same time.

In fact I've heard the current set lists have been thrown out of the window for two UK shows and they'll have completely different set lists for these.

The first, Royal Albert Hall will feature a selection of songs from discs 1-3 of the set, while the Wembley Arena show will pick up with discs 4-6 material.

My Platinum VIP Higgs Bosun Ticket, for which I paid $1m in used dollar bills handed to Bruce Johnston personally from the trunk of a car parked under the Golden Gate Bridge after midnight gave me access to to the London gig rehearsals.

Last night I had the privilege of hearing them run through Running Bear, Beatrice From Baltimore, Hey Little Tomboy (which had some neat spoken word sections - you'll love them!) and a version of Star Spangled Banner that makes Jimmi Hendrix's version sound like something a guitarist would put out.

I just had an online conference with the staff at CERN. They told me that you are the victim of magnetic field disturbances caused locally by the excessive top spin (AKA the Federer effect) of the Higgs bosons still doing their thang.

Also, they told me that both Wembley shows will exclusively consist of the whole of Summer In Paradise and all the outtakes and studio banter, the latter faithfully reproduced by all who were present at the time, recording this classic album. The whole shows will last about 4 hours.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »

I hope we finally get a release of Dick ('what's long and thin and covered in skin and goodness knows how many holes it's been in?'). THAT would complete the box set for me...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »

That was played at rehearsals too.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 04, 2012, 01:17:03 AM »

Heh.  Well...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 04, 2012, 01:53:39 AM »

I just had an online conference with the staff at CERN. They told me that you are the victim of magnetic field disturbances caused locally by the excessive top spin (AKA the Federer effect) of the Higgs bosons still doing their thang.

Also, they told me that both Wembley shows will exclusively consist of the whole of Summer In Paradise and all the outtakes and studio banter, the latter faithfully reproduced by all who were present at the time, recording this classic album. The whole shows will last about 4 hours.

I don't know who you've been talking to Don, but this morning's rehearsal was fab:

First off, they ran through the whole Pet Sounds album IN MONO, AS BRIAN INTENDED. (It think they were referencing the 1966 New York flat master, but Brian handled the bridge on WIBN, so who can be sure?). That'll be the first half of the RAH gig.

For the second half, they ran through the entire Sunflower album, performing Stephen W. Desper's quad mix live, in its entirety.

I was so overjoyed that I sobbed uncontrollably into the hessian tote bag that came as part of the Platinum VIP Higgs Bosun Ticket package.

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 04, 2012, 04:49:06 AM »

First off, they ran through the whole Pet Sounds album IN MONO, AS BRIAN INTENDED. (It think they were referencing the 1966 New York flat master, but Brian handled the bridge on WIBN, so who can be sure?). That'll be the first half of the RAH gig.

Right, so all the musicians were basically placed in one long line fronting the audience - Brian first in line with a keytar  Grin

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 04, 2012, 06:49:52 AM »

Right, so all the musicians were basically placed in one long line fronting the audience - Brian first in line with a keytar  Grin

LOL LOL LOL to you and John M. for your excellent replies!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 04, 2012, 07:02:10 AM »

Don, what science explains Mike Love?  Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 04, 2012, 07:48:30 AM »

Despite massively wanting to hear Wouldn't it be nice to live again, and pretty much every recorded note of Dennis material that exists, I'd almost equally love to hear clean versions of some of the boot stuff we all know and love. Carry Me Home/Sherry She Needs Me/Stevie rate up there with the best Beach Boys music, and they are only known from hissy sounding roughs.

RE: I've got a friend, isn't the Luxembourg version from a radio broadcast? Has anyone tried to track down the source tape? Would be amazing to hear a clear version of this song.

Personally I can do without ANY updated mixes of material the Beach Boys put out in the sixties/seventies, and I'd much rather see live/unreleased stuff come out

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »

^ Yup!

MBE
« Reply #244 on: September 04, 2012, 03:08:17 PM »

Despite massively wanting to hear Wouldn't it be nice to live again, and pretty much every recorded note of Dennis material that exists, I'd almost equally love to hear clean versions of some of the boot stuff we all know and love. Carry Me Home/Sherry She Needs Me/Stevie rate up there with the best Beach Boys music, and they are only known from hissy sounding roughs.

RE: I've got a friend, isn't the Luxembourg version from a radio broadcast? Has anyone tried to track down the source tape? Would be amazing to hear a clear version of this song.

Personally I can do without ANY updated mixes of material the Beach Boys put out in the sixties/seventies, and I'd much rather see live/unreleased stuff come out

Stereo isn't what a Brian Wilson produced record is about. The Beach Boys sixties work was perfect the way it was. I have often been called a heathen for this view, glad someone else agrees with me.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: September 04, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »

Stereo isn't what a Brian Wilson produced record is about. The Beach Boys sixties work was perfect the way it was. I have often been called a heathen for this view, glad someone else agrees with me.

I'm with you too.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 04, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »

I'm with you too.

Me too. f*** stereo. Except Smiley Smile
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 04, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »

Grin I prefer the stereo mix for most of the tracks.  On some, the mono still works better.  It's nice to have both options.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 04, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »

Where listening is your main purpose and discrete mono mixes exist, that is obviously the way to go. Stereo mixes are neat to aid in deconstructive study or "close listening" where you want to grasp aural details (e.g., "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times") but I don't think I've ever ended up liking them more than their mono counterparts.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 04, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »

I prefer mixes that sound good to me. Some are in mono, some are in stereo. Some mono mixes sound like ass, some stereo mixes sound like ass.

imo.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx