gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:21:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 318087 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 28, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »

For instance, I would buy a definitive Monkees box, but not all the individual albums or any greatest hits.

Music Box is pretty excellent in that regard.

ha, yeh i had that one awhile ago ... good box

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »

I applaud anyone who is bold enough to jump into a multi-box set containing a mix of hits and unreleased tunes even if you're just a casual fan.  To me, it'd be an overwhelming experience that may or may not pay off.  Getting everything like that so early in the fandom sort of puts things out of context for me.  I work through the released albums and get to know the catalog and then later I "reward" myself by looking into the unreleased material found on box sets or archive releases when I can finally appreciate the rare items.

I agree about unreleased material. But The Beach Boys aren't seen as an album band by the mainstream rock listener, Pet Sounds/Smile aside. So a box set of theirs would have been looked at in a similar way to boxes by Patsy Cline, Miracles, etc.  There are probably many people here who haven't listened through every Beach Boys album. I don't think of the BB as an album-centered act myself, and that is a compliment.

Fair points...for those adventurous fans who'd be willing to get the new box set could have a nice "sampler" of the entire BB catalog.  I suppose such a box set could make a casual fan into a more serious fan.  They could hear the tunes in the set and then look for the albums for which they came from.

I don't know, I mean I think we're over-generalizing what a 'casual' fan is. They're not all 'I heard "Surfin' Safari" on the radio; that's a cool jam' people ... I mean, i know plenty of people who maybe have heard Smiley Smiley & Friends, are familiar with the early hits, but maybe haven't heard Sunflower ... who maybe would enjoy Adult Child, you know? Plenty of 'serious' music fans buy box sets to delve deeper into a band they are somewhat familiar with and want a definitive collection but don't want to do all the research to find the coolest stuff themselves.

For instance, I would buy a definitive Monkees box, but not all the individual albums or any greatest hits.

True.  I know I've shelled out some big bucks for a couple box sets of artists' I enjoyed casually but wanted to get serious about.  But they were mainly just box sets of their full catalog of released studio albums.  Mixing the unreleased stuff sort of trips me up...I don't like listening to an unreleased track without knowing its context of where it came from, what period/era it was recorded and etc etc.  That's just me, I guess.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »

I applaud anyone who is bold enough to jump into a multi-box set containing a mix of hits and unreleased tunes even if you're just a casual fan.  To me, it'd be an overwhelming experience that may or may not pay off.  Getting everything like that so early in the fandom sort of puts things out of context for me.  I work through the released albums and get to know the catalog and then later I "reward" myself by looking into the unreleased material found on box sets or archive releases when I can finally appreciate the rare items.

I agree about unreleased material. But The Beach Boys aren't seen as an album band by the mainstream rock listener, Pet Sounds/Smile aside. So a box set of theirs would have been looked at in a similar way to boxes by Patsy Cline, Miracles, etc.  There are probably many people here who haven't listened through every Beach Boys album. I don't think of the BB as an album-centered act myself, and that is a compliment.

Fair points...for those adventurous fans who'd be willing to get the new box set could have a nice "sampler" of the entire BB catalog.  I suppose such a box set could make a casual fan into a more serious fan.  They could hear the tunes in the set and then look for the albums for which they came from.

On the other hand, something that could support your point of view is that box sets sell nowhere near the amount they did in the 90's. Casual fans in this era are more likely to download all the tracks they want, now that the desire and need for physical product has been broken.
If this new box were a definitive career-spanning summary, the hits would be a must. But I have doubts that it will be. The mono format of the first two discs in the GV box will for me, at least, give that set the nod.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2012, 12:02:51 PM »

I don't know, I mean I think we're over-generalizing what a 'casual' fan is. They're not all 'I heard "Surfin' Safari" on the radio; that's a cool jam' people ... I mean, i know plenty of people who maybe have heard Smiley Smiley & Friends, are familiar with the early hits, but maybe haven't heard Sunflower ... who maybe would enjoy Adult Child, you know? Plenty of 'serious' music fans buy box sets to delve deeper into a band they are somewhat familiar with and want a definitive collection but don't want to do all the research to find the coolest stuff themselves.

True.  I know I've shelled out some big bucks for a couple box sets of artists' I enjoyed casually but wanted to get serious about.  But they were mainly just box sets of their full catalog of released studio albums.  Mixing the unreleased stuff sort of trips me up...I don't like listening to an unreleased track without knowing its context of where it came from, what period/era it was recorded and etc etc.  That's just me, I guess.

i hear ya, but in the case of groups like our Beach Boys and the Monkees, often the unreleased stuff is superior to the released stuff (i.e. MIU instead of ADULT CHILD) ... the booklets inside usually provide context !

Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »

Well this went straight to the top of this years wish list.  Although I'll wait to open this gift.  SMiLE Sessions I couldn't wait for.  The wait was killing me because unlike many of you, I had not heard most of the sessions beforehand and it was all new to me.  Looking forward to what's going to be on this one! Cheesy 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »

This site...

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Beach-Boys-Made-In-California-Limited-Bo/hnum/3084686

… Has November 16 release date.

“We live in divisive times.”
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »

On the other hand, something that could support your point of view is that box sets sell nowhere near the amount they did in the 90's. Casual fans in this era are more likely to download all the tracks they want, now that the desire and need for physical product has been broken.
If this new box were a definitive career-spanning summary, the hits would be a must. But I have doubts that it will be. The mono format of the first two discs in the GV box will for me, at least, give that set the nod.

That's a very good point.  All of the Elvis box sets I own were all released in the 90's.  Fans haven't had a proper archive release like those in a very, very long time.  Those were great times for physical media lovers.  They have a fine line to balance with "Made In California"...a career-spanning box set is easy but a full throttle archive/rarities set is more rewarding in the long run.  Let's hope for the best!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:24:32 PM by Justin » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »

i hear ya, but in the case of groups like our Beach Boys and the Monkees, often the unreleased stuff is superior to the released stuff (i.e. MIU instead of ADULT CHILD) ... the booklets inside usually provide context !

Yes indeed good call.  AGD mentioned earlier that this is really their last opportunity to release such a huge product for it to make any kind of impact.  I'm hoping they do it justice.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »

Remixed tracks?   Huh

Hopefully they mean fresh full and bright sounding mixes of old favorites (Some "first time in stereo stuff" perhaps) and not any sort of "Club Mixes" if you know what I mean?

With this band you never know?  Maybe we'll get some mash-ups of Beach Boys favorites  LOL

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »

Remixed tracks?   Huh

Hopefully they mean fresh full and bright sounding mixes of old favorites (Some "first time in stereo stuff" perhaps) and not any sort of "Club Mixes" if you know what I mean?

With this band you never know?  Maybe we'll get some mash-ups of Beach Boys favorites  LOL

Of course they mean the type of remixes they have been doing for over 15 years now.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2012, 11:55:57 PM »

Remixed tracks?   Huh

With the earlier rarities compilations in mind, I'm guessing that remixed in this case could also mean that there will be binaural mixes (vocals on one channel, music on the other), a capella mixes or radically different alternate mixes.
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2012, 07:12:41 AM »

The band Jellyfish only put out two albums, but they eventually issued a 4-CD boxed set which contained NONE of those album tracks. Instead it had the demos of every song, alternate versions, live versions, b-sides and unreleased stuff. It was a great compilation which proved you could do a career-spanning box without including the "hits".
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »

The band Jellyfish only put out two albums, but they eventually issued a 4-CD boxed set which contained NONE of those album tracks. Instead it had the demos of every song, alternate versions, live versions, b-sides and unreleased stuff. It was a great compilation which proved you could do a career-spanning box without including the "hits".

Uhm, what?! Why have I never heard of this boxset! I love Jellyfish.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »

German Amazon's tracklisting for 50 Big Ones indicates that Darlin' and Wild Honey will be in stereo.

http://www.amazon.de/Greatest-Hits-Ones-Limited-Edition/dp/B008LA7RH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346256576&sr=8-1

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »

German Amazon's tracklisting for 50 Big Ones indicates that Darlin' and Wild Honey will be in stereo.

http://www.amazon.de/Greatest-Hits-Ones-Limited-Edition/dp/B008LA7RH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346256576&sr=8-1

Awesome. And it also might indicate that 'Friends', '20/20'  and 'Holland' has been remastered in 2012. :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:19:31 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2012, 09:17:33 AM »

That bodes well for future stereo releases of their respective albums then. Cool.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2012, 09:41:28 AM »

Awesome. And it also might indicate that 'Friends', '20/20'  and 'Holland' has been remastered in 2012. :D

Not sure about 20/20; two of the three of the 20/20 era tracks on there – Do It Again and Cottonfields – had differing single mixes which might be the ones used here. That only leaves one from the album, I Can Hear Music.  I know, I'm being a pedant!!  Grin

Why the fork, however, isn't Breakaway on this set? I know, I know, you can only have 50 from the many, but still…

“We live in divisive times.”
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »

Awesome. And it also might indicate that 'Friends', '20/20'  and 'Holland' has been remastered in 2012. :D

Not sure about 20/20; two of the three of the 20/20 era tracks on there – Do It Again and Cottonfields – had differing single mixes which might be the ones used here. That only leaves one from the album, I Can Hear Music.  I know, I'm being a pedant!!  Grin

Why the fork, however, isn't Breakaway on this set? I know, I know, you can only have 50 from the many, but still…

Good point - we can hope though. Smiley
And I agree, I rather have Breakaway any day over Cottonfields!

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »

Awesome. And it also might indicate that 'Friends', '20/20'  and 'Holland' has been remastered in 2012. :D

Not sure about 20/20; two of the three of the 20/20 era tracks on there – Do It Again and Cottonfields – had differing single mixes which might be the ones used here. That only leaves one from the album, I Can Hear Music.  I know, I'm being a pedant!!  Grin

Cottonfields was in the live set, whereas Break Away was not. These 50 Big Ones with the exception of 3 songs have all been in and out of the Reunion setlist.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:52:24 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2012, 09:58:32 AM »

I don't see "Aren't you glad" on there, not excited  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2012, 10:11:16 AM »

I don't see "Aren't you glad" on there, not excited  Grin

That's because it's a Greatest Hits release.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »

I don't see "Aren't you glad" on there, not excited  Grin

That's because it's a Greatest Hits release.

Yeah I know..

It was just a joke  Wink

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »

Not sure about 20/20; two of the three of the 20/20 era tracks on there – Do It Again and Cottonfields – had differing single mixes which might be the ones used here. That only leaves one from the album, I Can Hear Music.  I know, I'm being a pedant!!  Grin

Cottonfields was in the live set, whereas Break Away was not. These 50 Big Ones with the exception of 3 songs have all been in and out of the Reunion setlist.

True doctor, though I'd have Break Away in the live set any day over Cottonfields Grin
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:24:11 AM by tansen » Logged

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »

.... waiting for track list for Made In California.....

Cry
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »

Also interesting that I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda and Fun Fun Fun are all still in mono but Do You Wanna Dance and Barbara Ann use their new 2012 stereo mixes.  Just to be 100% sure, I Get Around and Help Me Rhonda were remixed into stereo (as best as they could) on the new All Summer Long and SDSN CDs right?  Are they clearly inferior mixes to the usual mono ones?  I guess the stereo Fun Fun Fun wasn't kept because of that horrible fade out.

It also indicates a 2012 stereo mix for Heroes and Villains, which means this is yet another stereo mix attempt (unless it's a typo and is the 2011 mix).  Very cool to see the two Wild Honey tracks in stereo, can't wait to hear them.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx