gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680851 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:09:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 320309 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »

It just dawned me that the box might include some 2011-2012 outtakes as well, from the TWGMTR sessions. Could it be we get to hear rest of the suite on the box?

DROOL..................................................

.......................................SLOBBER....................................................DROOL..................................

LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »

Of all the boards I visit, this is the best laid-out and functioning of them all. It's practical and easy to use and most of the folk who post here are okay! 

What John said times 1,000!

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »

I don't think we should change the board at all. It's one of the best around there is.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »

teh hell happened to this thread?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »

I think most of us figured we were on the cusp of getting some big news on the box, and then.........nothing.

We can only fantasize about what we hope is on there for so long. Hopefully we get some substantial news soon.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2012, 06:35:06 PM »

I think most of us figured we were on the cusp of getting some big news on the box, and then.........nothing.

We can only fantasize about what we hope is on there for so long. Hopefully we get some substantial news soon.

I'm sure after the other Beach Boys releases come out they'll start shedding some light on the box set. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »

It just dawned me that the box might include some 2011-2012 outtakes as well, from the TWGMTR sessions. Could it be we get to hear rest of the suite on the box?

.......................................SLOBBER....................................................DROOL..................................

LOL

I thought the suite was never finished?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »

Maybe an announcement at the Grammy museum event in Sept? That's just before the albums get reissued so maybe appropriate for Mike or A. N. Other to let slip details of the exciting Christmas goodies which will be made available for anyone who likes 'em.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:14:29 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2012, 03:00:48 AM »

LOL
Doesn't mean there isn't leftover stuff they could release.  Wink There should be a few 'finished' tracks leftover from TWGMTR alone.

I thought the suite was never finished?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2012, 06:37:52 AM »

Haha, no, I mean suddenly there's heysaboda's post quoting something from a very different thread and you agreeing with him. I was cornfused.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2012, 10:20:27 AM »

New teaser:

"Their upcoming six-CD career spanning box set, Made In California, is scheduled for late November and will include a substantial amount of unreleased and remixed tracks, along with all of the band's greatest hits."

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=1763692

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2012, 10:54:38 AM »

Including their hits is painfully redudant, but expected. ARGHZ.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »

I hope the "greatest hits" come in the form of an unreleased alternate take or newly remixed form...that would be the best way to include the tracks without having us to shell out $$ for songs we already have 100 times over.  I'm not even sure why they'd have to include any of the hits on this box set.  What new fan is going to buy a box set of greatest hits and unreleased tracks as their first introduction to the band?  No matter how great the '93 box set was or Hawthorne was...if I was a new fan, that'd be the last place I'd start.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »

I know many casual fans who bought the GV box because it contained the hits, which they wanted all in one place. And they got into things like Smile as a result.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2012, 11:18:32 AM »

I know many casual fans who bought the GV box because it contained the hits, which they wanted all in one place. And they got into things like Smile as a result.

How did the 70 prior hits collections elude them?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »

How did the 70 prior hits collections elude them?

I dunno, maybe the fact that none of them were truly career-spanning put them off.

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »

It might also be that "Made in California" will become the quintessential collection... all the hits, a boatload of rarities and unreleased gems... all in one place.  

I'll withhold further judgement until I see the tracklist.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »

I applaud anyone who is bold enough to jump into a multi-disc box set containing a mix of hits and unreleased tunes even if you're just a casual fan.  To me, it'd be an overwhelming experience that may or may not pay off.  Getting everything like that so early in the fandom sort of puts things out of context for me.  I work through the released albums and get to know the entire catalog and then later I "reward" myself by looking into the unreleased material found on box sets or archive releases when I can finally appreciate the rare items.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:31:43 AM by Justin » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »

I applaud anyone who is bold enough to jump into a multi-box set containing a mix of hits and unreleased tunes even if you're just a casual fan.  To me, it'd be an overwhelming experience that may or may not pay off.  Getting everything like that so early in the fandom sort of puts things out of context for me.  I work through the released albums and get to know the catalog and then later I "reward" myself by looking into the unreleased material found on box sets or archive releases when I can finally appreciate the rare items.

I agree about unreleased material. But The Beach Boys aren't seen as an album band by the mainstream rock listener, Pet Sounds/Smile aside. So a box set of theirs would have been looked at in a similar way to boxes by Patsy Cline, Miracles, etc.  There are probably many people here who haven't listened through every Beach Boys album. I don't think of the BB as an album-centered act myself, and that is a compliment.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »

It might also be that "Made in California" will become the quintessential collection... all the hits, a boatload of rarities and unreleased gems... all in one place.  

I'll withhold further judgement until I see the tracklist.

Agreed. I take this as good news. We knew the hits were gonna be on the box - did anyone really think there would be a 6 disc box without the foundation of the Beach Boys' popularity? Skip the new greatest hits collections and splurge on the album reissues and the box - I'm sure there will be enough goodies to justify everything.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »

I applaud anyone who is bold enough to jump into a multi-box set containing a mix of hits and unreleased tunes even if you're just a casual fan.  To me, it'd be an overwhelming experience that may or may not pay off.  Getting everything like that so early in the fandom sort of puts things out of context for me.  I work through the released albums and get to know the entire catalog and then later I "reward" myself by looking into the unreleased material found on box sets or archive releases when I can finally appreciate the rare items.

I don't know, I mean I think we're over-generalizing what a 'casual' fan is. They're not all 'I heard "Surfin' Safari" on the radio; that's a cool jam' people ... I mean, i know plenty of people who maybe have heard Smiley Smiley & Friends, are familiar with the early hits, but maybe haven't heard Sunflower ... who maybe would enjoy Adult Child, you know? Plenty of 'serious' music fans buy box sets to delve deeper into a band they are somewhat familiar with and want a definitive collection but don't want to do all the research to find the coolest stuff themselves.

For instance, I would buy a definitive Monkees box, but not all the individual albums or any greatest hits.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »

Well, maybe the fact that they will have just released 2 separate greatest hits sets means that the new Made in California box will be light on the "hits" and heavy on rarities?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »

For instance, I would buy a definitive Monkees box, but not all the individual albums or any greatest hits.

Music Box is pretty excellent in that regard.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »

Well, maybe the fact that they will have just released 2 separate greatest hits sets means that the new Made in California box will be light on the "hits" and heavy on rarities?

That is what I am hoping that this box set given it's apparent girth of six discs is going to be marketed to the collector.  Honestly I'd be happy with three discs of hits and three discs of rarities as unlikely as that will be. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Paulos
« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »

New teaser:

"Their upcoming six-CD career spanning box set, Made In California, is scheduled for late November and will include a substantial amount of unreleased and remixed tracks, along with all of the band's greatest hits."

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=1763692

Sploosh!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx