gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681200 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 06:45:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322009 times)
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2012, 07:37:12 AM »

The solo compilation is a neat idea, but it's better kept separate from the big box. With so many great BB songs still in the can, it would be silly to "waste" precious disc space on solo stuff which, let's be honest here, just isn't as good as the full band stuff.

Agreed. The more unreleased archive material the better!

But how about a 'best of' disc of Beach Boys solo material?
I really don't see that happening. Quite a bit of that material isn't owned by Capitol. And besides that, Mike's album, Carl's albums and 'Going Public' are even worse than what The Beach Boys were releasing around the same time.

Point taken. Again, the more unreased archive material the better!  Razz

Eagerly anticipating the First Love/Country Love twofer. EAGERLY.

Hey, it's part of the history and part of the story. I think the Celebration material is worth releasing. Mike Nesmith, are you out there?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »

I really hope we don't see even more songs go out of print and get buried.

Hits aren't mandatory for box sets. Nirvana's 2004 box set contained no hits or even album tracks sans a few early versions of hits and album tracks. It was filled with unreleased stuff of varying quality. Hardcore fans ate that sh*t up (sans the shoddy mastering job and some inferior sources) and it sold pretty well, too. The Beach Boys are probably capable of doing the same with a similar set.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:48:28 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »

Skip the album tracks. Nobody's gonna buy the box because of them. Joe Public buys the box because of hits (why, I don't know: he could have the hits by buying any cheap greatest hits package) and us hardcores buy it because of the rarities. No need for album tracks here, at least in exactly the same form as on the albums.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2012, 07:53:56 AM »

No need for album tracks here, at least in exactly the same form as on the albums.
I disagree. It would be a good way to introduce a casual fan or two to a bit of Friends and Sunflower material.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »

Hits aren't mandatory for box sets. Nirvana's 2004 box set contained no hits or even album tracks sans a few early versions of hits and album tracks. It was filled with unreleased stuff of varying quality. Hardcore fans ate that sh*t up (sans the shoddy mastering job and some inferior sources) and it sold pretty well, too. The Beach Boys are probably capable of doing the same with a similar set.
OK, good point. That's a really good box set.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2012, 08:00:09 AM »

No need for album tracks here, at least in exactly the same form as on the albums.
I disagree. It would be a good way to introduce a casual fan or two to a bit of Friends and Sunflower material.

Exactly. I bought the box set because of the SMiLE material, but ended up falling in love with stuff like Love You because of the album tracks on the set.

But if I had my druthers, I'd prefer all previously unreleased on this set.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »

Are we forgetting that all the songs will be remastered, and could be the only source of some new remasters of wild honey, friends, and 20/20 songs? (not even including later albums)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 08:53:30 AM »

I suspect there'll be a second wave of 12 remastered LPs at some stage:

Surfin' Safari
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20
Holland
Carl & The Passions
15 Big Ones
Love You
MIU
LA
Keeping The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys

In Concert, Concert, Live in London, Knebworth, Paramount '93 and Carnegie 72 (and others?) could form the basis of a career-spanning live box set sometime in 2013 or beyond.

That leaves the Christmas Album*, Stack o' Tracks**, Summer 'n Paradise***, Still Cruisin'**** and Stars n' Stripes***** to form the basis of a centenary box, Made In Colostomy, in 2062******.

* Actually due a reissue any day now…
** Most probably available either with the singles box, the 93 GV box or elsewhere, and the rest could be on Made In California.
*** Seems to be being written out of history
**** As half the tracks are available remastered on the remastered albums, the rest could squeeze on to the new box with hardly any impact on the inclusion of fresh unreleased material
***** The Tammy Wynette track, Caroline No and the Willie Nelson track would all be worthy of the box set, perhaps the latter two in a cappella format.
****** According to my 50-year almanac, Al will by then be the only surviving BB, and he's already anticipating this release by retouching, remixing, remastering and re-recording Loop-De-Loop.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:07:33 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »

Why would a casual fan drop a hundred bucks just so they can have a CD with Kokomo on it?

answer: no one does these things.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2012, 09:12:33 AM »

Surfin' Safari
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20
Holland
Carl & The Passions
15 Big Ones
Love You
MIU
LA
Keeping The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys

In Concert, Concert, Live in London, Knebworth, Paramount '93 and Carnegie 72 (and others?) could form the basis of a career-spanning live box set sometime in 2013 or beyond.

That leaves the Christmas Album*, Stack o' Tracks**, Summer 'n Paradise***, Still Cruisin'**** and Stars n' Stripes***** to form the basis of a centenary box, Made In Colostomy, in 2062******.

** Most probably available either with the singles box, the 93 GV box or elsewhere, and the rest could be on Made In California.
**** As half the tracks are available remastered on the remastered albums, the rest could squeeze on to the new box with hardly any impact on the inclusion of fresh unreleased material
***** The Tammy Wynette track, Caroline No and the Willie Nelson track would all be worthy of the box set, perhaps the latter two in a cappella format.
****** According to my 50-year almanac, Al will by then be the only surviving BB, and he's already anticipating this release by retouching, remixing, remastering and re-recording Loop-De-Loop.

I don't think there's any question that Wild Honey and others will be reissued.  The only question is whether people on this board start using a little common sense and stop acting like Phil wannabes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »

Honestly, who wants crap like SIP and solo material hogging space on the box when we could get more rarities instead.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2012, 09:16:34 AM »

Surfin' Safari
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20
Holland
Carl & The Passions
15 Big Ones
Love You
MIU
LA
Keeping The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys

I don't think there's any question that Wild Honey and others will be reissued.  The only question is whether people on this board start using a little common sense and stop acting like Phil wannabes.

Uh?

“We live in divisive times.”
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »

I would love to hear Mike's solo albums officially released. the quality on the bootlegs is terrible.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2012, 09:26:40 AM »

Yeh, I suppose we do have to keep in mind, there is a market for people who buy box sets as 'definitive' collections of an artsit's work ... so as much as I don't need the hits (or even deep album cuts), they're part of the history and some 'more than casual/less than us' fans might want just this.

though I have a feeling we're in for a treat.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »

Why would a casual fan drop a hundred bucks just so they can have a CD with Kokomo on it?

answer: no one does these things.

Good point, especially when this casual fan has opportunity to buy cheaper compilations this year with Kokomo on it, along with other major Beach Boys hits.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2012, 10:04:32 AM »

Surfin' Safari
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20
Holland
Carl & The Passions
15 Big Ones
Love You
MIU
LA
Keeping The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys

Uh?

I'm agreeing with you.  Maybe not on the details, but on the concept.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »

Surfin' Safari
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20
Holland
Carl & The Passions
15 Big Ones
Love You
MIU
LA
Keeping The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys

But he is our lord and saviour..
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »

I really hope we don't see even more songs go out of print and get buried.

This is the Beach Boys though, so there will be hits on the album. That doesn't necessarily mean that they will be thehit versions. I'm thinking along the lines of the Endless Harmony soundtracks. You had some hits tehre but in different versions (alternative, live, first time stereo, etc.). Maybe we'll also get another unreleased concert.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »

Maybe we'll also get another unreleased concert.

I like this idea, get the hits in via the Chicago '65 show or something on one disc and use alternate versions or mixes, demos, other live cuts and unreleased songs to fill out the set. That's something that would make all of us happy and sell to casual fans.

I would hate to see them ape the '93 box set. If it's mostly going to be a retread of that concept (hits, a few album cuts and a few unreleased studio cuts) I probably won't be buying.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »

I've noticed the Amazon link that was working yesterday has been taken down..

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »

I've noticed the Amazon link that was working yesterday has been taken down..

Saw that. Kinda bummed. Figured an announcement was imminent. Maybe it still is.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2012, 10:51:16 AM »

maybe it will be like thee "beatles anthology",songs in chronilogical order and "hits" but done as alt takes/live/rarirites instead of the masters,after all BA was 6 discs too..with two or three new songs this may mirror BA..just a thought
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »

maybe it will be like thee "beatles anthology",songs in chronilogical order and "hits" but done as alt takes/live/rarirites instead of the masters,after all BA was 6 discs too..with two or three new songs this may mirror BA..just a thought

No way that's gonna happen. It also makes no sense.

Only reason The Beatles did it like that was because they hardly had any truly unreleased titles ("That Means A  Lot", "If You've Got Trouble"), very few worthy alternates ("Ob La Di, Ob La Da", "One After 909", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"), just a few songs later used on solo albums ("Junk", "All Things Must Pass") and a song one of them wrote covered by another artist ("Come And Get It"). So basically they had to fill it out with a lot of alternates and live takes that probably didn't totally need to be released. If The Beatles had the amount of unreleased material that The Beach Boys did, they wouldn't have been scraping the bottom of the barrel so much.

However, The Beach Boys don't really have this problem. They have a lot of unreleased stuff to fill up a nice collection, so hopefully the only alternate and live things that go on there are truly revelatory.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:43:10 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2012, 11:47:07 AM »

There is so much potential for this box set to be amazing and to quench our thirst for some good hardy unreleased material that we've all been waiting for.  To think that there's a possiblity that we won't get that really bums me out.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »

I would hate to see them ape the '93 box set. If it's mostly going to be a retread of that concept (hits, a few album cuts and a few unreleased studio cuts) I probably won't be buying.

We're talking 6 discs here.  That's more than a "few" cuts.  And yes, you'll buy it.
We all will.  People here need to stop expecting to be let down all the time.
Cheer up.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx