gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681013 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 01:47:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 321342 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 09, 2012, 07:09:28 AM »

This set had better have a high quality 'Drip Drop' on it....or I'm gonna be mad.

Let's go, mutha fukkas!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 09, 2012, 07:18:47 AM »

Rock!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 09, 2012, 07:24:37 AM »

This set had better have a high quality 'Drip Drop' on it....or I'm gonna be mad.

Let's go, mutha fukkas!
The scary thing about that session was that it was the one the BBs set up in the late 1970s at Western studios to try get the "old" Brian to return. This session had the wrecking crew and the 4-track recording technology that Brian once used so masterfully.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 09, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »

It's possible that Capitol might delay the box set till next summer since it's possible the The Beach Boys might tour again next year.

Just a thought.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 09, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »

Every retail site that doesn't still have the November release date has a January one instead.  I still think it's heading our way. And (fairly) soon.

“We live in divisive times.”
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 09, 2012, 08:37:36 AM »

WHAAAT! Who turned the oasis thread onto a valid discussion on the new Beach boys box set? the cheek! LOL

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1181 on: November 09, 2012, 09:22:07 AM »

Let's go, mutha fukkas!
The scary thing about that session was that it was the one the BBs set up in the late 1970s at Western studios to try get the "old" Brian to return. This session had the wrecking crew and the 4-track recording technology that Brian once used so masterfully.

You're confusing that with the initial summer 1979 Western sessions for KTSA. "Drip Drop" was at Western, but it was a BW solo session. No other BB involvement, I do believe (and in the middle of the renewed LA sessions - 10/19/78).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:24:28 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: November 09, 2012, 09:23:11 AM »

Let's go, mutha fukkas!

Nope. It's not. The "Drip Drop" sessiopn was in 1978, during the L.A. (Light Album) sessions, and the session(s) you are speaking of took place in 1979, during the beginning of work on what became Keepin' The Summer Alive.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 09, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »

Thanks for the correct information, I was thinking it was the "vintage" western session because I could see Brian pulling out an old song like drip drop with the wrecking crew.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: November 09, 2012, 10:12:36 AM »

the REAL reason it's taken so long is that Brians Maid wont get off her lazy behind in order to compile her favorite songs for the box set "Maid in california"
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: November 09, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »

Idler's Dream is also an amazing Oasis B-side, let's hope they include it on Made In California!
Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: November 09, 2012, 04:31:19 PM »

If we really must discuss other bands on this thread, and lets face it there's nothing to discuss re: the box set so why not !, then we should make it someone decent, i mean, c'mon.Oasis ? really ?

Anyone heard "Found A Little baby" by Plush ?
Now THAT'S quality !
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1187 on: November 09, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »

Thanks for the correct information, I was thinking it was the "vintage" western session because I could see Brian pulling out an old song like drip drop with the wrecking crew.

I dunno; with a title like "Drip Drop", I can't say I'm in any rush to hear it.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 09, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »

I dunno; with a title like "Drip Drop", I can't say I'm in any rush to hear it.  :-)

You haven't heard it?
You are in for a treat!
If anything, you get to hear a (probably) coked up Brian curse a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_uO7hVOn8

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1189 on: November 09, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »

You haven't heard it?
You are in for a treat!

Thanks for the link.  Wow, that's awful.  Here's hopin' it don't make it on the box set.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 09, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »

You haven't heard it?
You are in for a treat!

Thanks for the link.  Wow, that's awful.  Here's hopin' it don't make it on the box set.  :-)

Though I completely understand how it sounds awful....I'm 100% serious when I say I want this on the boxset: that backing track, as sparse and shitty as it is, is so catchy and rhythm-y. I love Brian's vocal when nearly hitting those notes "Cried so hard, teardrops on my bed" in those 2nd and 3rd chorus'.

Idk, I can see how it is absolute shite, but I love it. In itunes it is in my top 10% most played Beach Boys songs (out of nearly 2,500 BB songs)!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: November 09, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »

You haven't heard it?
You are in for a treat!

Though I completely understand how it sounds awful....I'm 100% serious when I say I want this on the boxset: that backing track, as sparse and sh*tty as it is, is so catchy and rhythm-y. I love Brian's vocal when nearly hitting those notes "Cried so hard, teardrops on my bed" in those 2nd and 3rd chorus'.

Idk, I can see how it is absolute sh*te, but I love it. In itunes it is in my top 10% most played Beach Boys songs (out of nearly 2,500 BB songs)!

I don't think it's destined for official release - I think we're lucky to have it the way we do. It would have to be heavily edited - You'd lose something so essential to the track if you eliminate the crazy Brian chatter.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 09, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »

You haven't heard it?
You are in for a treat!

Though I completely understand how it sounds awful....I'm 100% serious when I say I want this on the boxset: that backing track, as sparse and sh*tty as it is, is so catchy and rhythm-y. I love Brian's vocal when nearly hitting those notes "Cried so hard, teardrops on my bed" in those 2nd and 3rd chorus'.

Idk, I can see how it is absolute sh*te, but I love it. In itunes it is in my top 10% most played Beach Boys songs (out of nearly 2,500 BB songs)!

I don't think it's destined for official release - I think we're lucky to have it the way we do. It would have to be heavily edited - You'd lose something so essential to the track if you eliminate the crazy Brian chatter.

Yeah, sadly you're right. They should just put an 'explicit content' warning on the box and release 'drip-drop' in complete un-altered form Grin

Heck, it would probably sell more copies that way!

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 09, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »

Just think: This could be the first Beach Boys release to carry one of those goshdarn parental advisory stickers -- on a career-spanning box set, no less! It'd be sure to sell a million units in January!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 09, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »

If they're going to include "Drip Drop" then PLEASE include "Rolling Up to Heaven"!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 10, 2012, 02:01:04 AM »

What the hell is Brian going on about at the end of "Drip Drop"? It sounds something like "Get Mike on" or something, but he could easily be saying something about a "mic".

P.S. Oasis kicks ass.

P.P.S. "Drip Drop" also kicks ass.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 10, 2012, 02:13:05 AM »

I always thought he was rambling about his c*ck?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 10, 2012, 04:01:36 AM »

It's kinda cool and more than a little ironic that info on the 50th anniversary box set is going to hit at about the same point this thread hits the 50th page mark.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 10, 2012, 04:04:44 AM »

I always thought he was rambling about his c*ck?

I always thought he said: "Shhhuckhh ma c*ck!" which would be hilarious. I always interpret it like that, and get a good dose of lulz from the song

CMONN MUTHERFUCKERSSSS!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1199 on: November 10, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »

It's kinda cool and more than a little ironic that info on the 50th anniversary box set is going to hit at about the same point this thread hits the 50th page mark.

that's pretty optimistic of you.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx