gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:20:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Fine Youngsters" (Ed Sullivan & The Importance Of Good Manners)  (Read 1961 times)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »

This may seem a bit off topic but what was Ed Sullivan's deal with playing up the manners of the rock and roll acts he booked on his show?  Specifically I'm talking about The Beatles whom he always went out of his way to praise as "fine upstanding youngsters".  In fact one of the most hilarious statements I've ever heard made regarding any musical act period is how Ed Sullivan was apparently under the impression that it was The Beatles' good manners that was at the source for their immense popularity? 

So I guess the question I'm asking what was the deal with Ed Sullivan and manners?  I'm not sure if he treated The Beach Boys the same way but was he/general public that afraid of the evil influence of rock and roll that he felt the need to cleanse the image of those in the trade as much as possible?  I mean by 1965/1966 it was downright hilarious as anyone with a pair of eyes could tell that The Mamas and Papas looked completely baked when they were on his show. 

Any thoughts?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »

The Ed Sullivan Show was viewed by the whole family - it was THE show. My (our) generation now is so splintered in tastes that there will never be an all important show like that. The 60s was still a very socially repressed time (although the way we look back on it now, it's like everyone was all peace and free love and non-violence)....so it was important for everyone in the family - parents, grandparents, especially - to find the Sunday night viewing tasteful and appropriate. If Ed approved and said nice things about his guests, it just served to bode well for the whole situation.

Don't forget as well, the bands of that time played up to a squeaky clean image - even the Stones at that time - just read a teen magazine from that time period - so that plays into it as well.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »

The Ed Sullivan Show was viewed by the whole family - it was THE show. My (our) generation now is so splintered in tastes that there will never be an all important show like that. The 60s was still a very socially repressed time (although the way we look back on it now, it's like everyone was all peace and free love and non-violence)....so it was important for everyone in the family - parents, grandparents, especially - to find the Sunday night viewing tasteful and appropriate. If Ed approved and said nice things about his guests, it just served to bode well for the whole situation.

Don't forget as well, the bands of that time played up to a squeaky clean image - even the Stones at that time - just read a teen magazine from that time period - so that plays into it as well.

Yeah those old fanzines are a kick in the head aren't they?  Kind of sad though in another way as they obviously had bands like The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and The Beach Boys at least somewhat at their disposal and not once did any of these fanzines ever attempt to have a legitimate sit down interview with say Paul McCartney or Brian Wilson about songwriting and how they went about composing.  So many missed opportunities especially when it comes to Brian Wilson given where his life went after SMiLE.

As far as Ed Sullivan went I think he overdid it just a tad.  His comments came off as incredibly naive and at times unintelligent as to what was unfolding before his eyes.  Probably the most hilarious instance is The Mamas and Papas incident I mentioned.  I was interested to hear that years later Michelle Phillips claimed that they weren't all that excited to be on his show anyhow.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SBonilla
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »

Television in the 50's and 60's was family entertainment. I sat through Lawrence Welk  My parents sat through Shindig. The whole family watched Smothers Brothers Comedy hour and 60 Minutes and all the cop shows, sitcoms and Westerns. It was what was available.  And, we all watched Ed Sullivan; he had something for us all. The kids knew he was corny. It didn't matter. Kiss me Eddie!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »

All the ones you're talking about are the Elvis effect.  Ed Sullivan refused to let Elvis be on his show... eventually he relented, and after meeting Elvis, found him to be a 'nice respectable man'. 

So while it may have been strange to hear him say that about the Mamas and Papas, or the Beatles... one of the things about Elvis was that he really WAS a nice respectable man! 

So to Ed, Elvis represented the new music.  He had preconcieved notions about him, and then when he met him, found out that Elvis was a really down to earth, polite dude.

I heard the lead singer of the Jordanairres talking to Bill Anderson once, about their career, and how they met Elvis.  Basically they were playing the Grand Ol' Opry, and Elvis was in the audience, before anybody knew who he was.  That night, Eddy Arnold was the headline act, but Elvis begged to get backstage, to meet the Jordanairres.  They weren't even that famous, and it was laughable that anybody would want to meet them over the great Eddy Arnold, but Elvis did.  So he met the guy, and told him that his mom and him listened to their Gospel music on the radio all the time, and the Jordanairres were her favorite group.  Elvis told the guy that if he ever got famous, he'd love to make music with them, and maybe he'll call them. 

So the guy said that the only reason he remembered ever even meeting the guy (Elvis) was two things:  1, he was the most handsome person he'd ever seen in his life, and 2, he was the most polite person he'd ever seen in his life.

So the whole point is: When people met Elvis early in his career, it was a really common thing for people to be impressed by his polite, respectful manners.  After Ed was exposed to that, he judged all following rock acts against it. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx