gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:34:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The hipness image of the Beach Boys  (Read 18867 times)
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »

Anyone else get a really strong Weezer vibe from "Take A Load Off Your Feet"??
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »

In what way? I don't really hear it at all, but maybe you're thinking in different terms than I am.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »

In what way? I don't really hear it at all, but maybe you're thinking in different terms than I am.

I would actually pick Weezer as one of the great examples in recorded music history of something sounding the most opposite, that anything possibly can, to TALOYF.  You'll definitely need to explain this one.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »

I don't hear anything Weezerish in TALOYF either, but in the stereo of my mind I can hear them doing a pretty great cover version of it.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2012, 11:29:52 AM »

I would actually pick Weezer as one of the great examples in recorded music history of something sounding the most opposite, that anything possibly can, to TALOYF.  You'll definitely need to explain this one.

It has a great similarity to certain sections of Weezer's unreleased power-foot-opera "Songs From The Black Hole (In My Sock)".

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »

I don't hear anything Weezerish in TALOYF either, but in the stereo of my mind I can hear them doing a pretty great cover version of it.

I thought the same upon his suggestion and thought maybe he was hearing something similar in there.

I would actually pick Weezer as one of the great examples in recorded music history of something sounding the most opposite, that anything possibly can, to TALOYF. 

That'd be something like... oh, I don't know. Cradle Of Filth, maybe?

It has a great similarity to certain sections of Weezer's unreleased power-foot-opera "Songs From The Black Hole (In My Sock)".

^_^
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:38:34 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »

^_^

You scoff, but I can totally hear Al Jardine singing (expressing) Tired Of Sox.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:39:47 AM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »

Haha, let me be more specific...

"TALOYF" has a groove, attitude, verse/chorus structure, and chord progression that remind me of a specific type of Weezer song.  Best example is "Undone - The Sweater Song" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQqqM5sr7g&feature=related).  To say that it is akin to Weezer in general is ridiculous...

It never crossed my mind until I saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJAwoe-jYa0

This is kind of what I meant.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »

I think the band Grandaddy often evokes the vibes of the Beach Boys from 67 - 72. They are my favorite band of recent years. And Jason Lytle sounds similar to Brian from that same period.

http://youtu.be/LWmIkBrvQEI

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Exemery
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »

Right now in High School, as soon as I mentioned that I liked the Beach Boys, there is an immediate backlash coming mostly out of the fanbase of the more popular late 60s-70s-80s rock bands such as Queen and Led Zeppelin. I think that the current image of the beach boys in most of the adolescents of my generation is a band consisting of only cheesy, surfing, and fun in the sun songs. 

Not surprisingly even after exposing a friend to the bands more successful music post-1965, he still thought of it as cheesy. And to tell you the truth, I expected it. Suddenly since after hard rock's bloom in the recent past, a lot of teenagers can't see anything sophisticated, artistic, and catchy in anything BBs , or in a lot of pop-rock music from the 60s. The exception being the silly attention whores on Youtube who continually express their disappointment in their generation. Tongue
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2012, 11:46:55 PM »

Right now in High School, as soon as I mentioned that I liked the Beach Boys, there is an immediate backlash coming mostly out of the fanbase of the more popular late 60s-70s-80s rock bands such as Queen and Led Zeppelin. I think that the current image of the beach boys in most of the adolescents of my generation is a band consisting of only cheesy, surfing, and fun in the sun songs. 

Not surprisingly even after exposing a friend to the bands more successful music post-1965, he still thought of it as cheesy. And to tell you the truth, I expected it. Suddenly since after hard rock's bloom in the recent past, a lot of teenagers can't see anything sophisticated, artistic, and catchy in anything BBs , or in a lot of pop-rock music from the 60s. The exception being the silly attention whores on Youtube who continually express their disappointment in their generation. Tongue

Nice post! Stay true to what you like and what you enjoy, and those who understand will be there to enjoy it with you. The opinions of others who won't open their ears to not only listen but to hear the music doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the long run. It's their loss if they miss out on enjoying music which they don't want to experience because of an image issue or whatever else the hang-up may be in their minds.

I wish I could report otherwise but unfortunately that's the way it was and the way it will be with many listeners who won't open up and listen. I got into the Beatles and The Monkees really heavily around the 6th and 7th grade. I caught some crap for it, too, among some at school, who thought the music was "old" or uncool or unhip or whatever. Not that I only listened to that - I loved top 40 too, but The Beatles and Monkees just did it for me, along with the Beach Boys greatest hits albums we had since I was younger than that. For every one person who would do something like dub a cassette of his parents' "Sgt Pepper" vinyl, there were 10+ who couldn't figure me or my musical tastes out.

The ultimate payoff (payback?) came years later, after a snowstorm that found me digging out my car. I'm out there shoveling, and stop to take a break. I hear a car coming up the road, driving slow, with music pumping. It was a guy who looked to be about 17, definitely high school age, and he was cranking the just-released "Number 1" Beatles hits collection in the car, with the window down.

That made me smile.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2012, 07:07:10 AM »

I still feel the slightest tendrils of shame for loving the Beach Boys so much, especially loving them over the Beatles. I also feel ashamed when people ask me what I'm listening to on my headphones I lie. I know this is wrong. But I know the faces I get for this love.
I used to work at a movie theater some years ago and at the time I had been reading Carlin's BW biography. As I was getting off work and leaving with book in hand, one of the assistant managers asked me what I was reading. I said a bio about Brian Wilson. She said, "who's Brian Wilson?" (cue mental facepalm) I said he was the main songwriter and leader of the Beach Boys. She said "oh" with a face I'll not forget. It was one that kinda said "seriously?"
I'm trying to be more upfront and proud about my love for my favorite band, but then I think of that look...

Honestly, I should have just said that it was a bio on the baseball player of the same name...  Undecided
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:08:36 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2012, 10:25:40 AM »

I still feel the slightest tendrils of shame for loving the Beach Boys so much, especially loving them over the Beatles. I also feel ashamed when people ask me what I'm listening to on my headphones I lie. I know this is wrong. But I know the faces I get for this love.
I used to work at a movie theater some years ago and at the time I had been reading Carlin's BW biography. As I was getting off work and leaving with book in hand, one of the assistant managers asked me what I was reading. I said a bio about Brian Wilson. She said, "who's Brian Wilson?" (cue mental facepalm) I said he was the main songwriter and leader of the Beach Boys. She said "oh" with a face I'll not forget. It was one that kinda said "seriously?"
I'm trying to be more upfront and proud about my love for my favorite band, but then I think of that look...

Honestly, I should have just said that it was a bio on the baseball player of the same name...  Undecided

If that should happen again, that's your cue to make a compilation or playlist of just a dozen or so tracks you really enjoy and give it to that person. If they're open to checking out new sounds, they'll listen. If not, then you know it's a waste of time and leave it at that, and it's their loss or their choice not to open up their mind a bit, whatever the case.

It is amazing how certain songs outside the mainstream "greatest hits" of a particular band can win some folks over, or at least open them up to the possibility that a given band has some music worth checking out that they may enjoy.

See my posts under the "Breaking Bad" thread about that show using the Monkees' "Goin Down" a few weeks ago, and there were all kinds of people who didn't know that song going online to learn more about it and have a listen. That was a neat thing which television and the internet can produce, and it may sound high-minded but I'll bet a lot of viewers who heard and liked that song  may have been more inclined to dismiss the Monkees for various reasons before the song grabbed their attention during that musical montage on the show.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »

Or you could have told her to chew on tin foil for giving you such a look. But naw, continue with the feeling shame thing.

Alternately, you could have screamed my current username at her (and the lyrics that follow), an octave higher and only roughly in key, until she went away.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »

Or you could have told her to chew on tin foil for giving you such a look. But naw, continue with the feeling shame thing.

Alternately, you could have screamed my current username at her (and the lyrics that follow), an octave higher and only roughly in key, until she went away.

What inspired this name change runners?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2012, 06:10:56 PM »

Well, I went to high school from 92 - 96. This was a good time in music that went into the late 90s. Bands like U2, REM, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana and Radiohead were smart and inovative. There is lots of great arty music today, but most of the fans are my age and not much younger. Thus it isn't top 40 music but of the indie scene. Surely there are still a crowd in highschools today that get into creative music still today. Huh

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »

of course there are.

anyway, i've always found that no matter how hard the beach boys fight to be lame, their music is really hip. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx