gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 09:03:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The hipness image of the Beach Boys  (Read 19042 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »

For the most part, the Beach Boys have always had an image problem. From the very beginning, the surfers saw them as posers. Then the hippies never really embraced them. However, I wanted to list what I perceive as the high points of their image.

From 62 - late 66, I would say that do to the fact they had a great string of hits that kept getting better up through Good Vibrations, that there was quite a bit of respect for them. Perhaps ending around the release of Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields? But who knows if a proper release of SMiLE, and an early change from striped shirts, might have helped them into the late 60s. But I think that with Good Vibrations on top, and all the promo about the up coming SMiLE album, they still had a level of hippness and respect.

Obviously, it disappeared in the late 60s, but around 71-76 they just might have gained a hipper image then even 1966. Unfortunately that being lost with the release of 15 Big Ones.

Perhaps, Dennis Wilson was still seen as hip with POB, for those who paid attention. But really, after 1976, the hipness of the Beach Boys is mostly in the eyes of hard core fans who know the great music from 65 - 73.

Now, I know that the Beach Boys have EVER been considered hip. These are moments in time though, that they seemed respected. I'm not even talking about hits. Songs like Babarann, Do It Again, Rock N Roll Music and Kokamo are nice catchy songs that were big hits, but they don't help the image. I'm not even saying it matters. As Fred Vail (?) in a doc said (paraphasing) I'm not even sure that the BB were suppose to be hip. They just grab you weather you like it or not.

Anyways, thoughts for discussion.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:35:07 AM »

Personally, I think The Beach Boys have been considered hip, among those who actually are (e.g. musicians, serious music listeners), for at least two decades.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:01:48 AM »

The way I see it, The Beach Boys have two images going at the moment. People who are really into music know how great they are, and to them they are hipper than hip. Hipper than Jesus. Hipper than The Beatles. Hipper than The Stones. Up there with Dylan.

But, for the more casual listeners, they are these slightly goofy old dudes in garish shirts and trucker hats, who do the oldies circuit. This is what the majority thinks of them, and of course they are partially right. But only partially.

So, they are hip, but not as widely as for example Dylan, who everyone knows as this respected, mythic rock 'n' roll poet.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:03:25 AM by Jukka » Logged

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »

All I know, is that they're the most hip old dudes around right now.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:34:26 AM »

All I know, is that they're the most hip old dudes around right now.

70 is the new 50!

I find commercial "hipness" largely a function of public relations and image (not photo) management, not unlike the political context. 

Many of my BB fan contemporaries, are independent thinkers, who ignore the opinions of the press, and just deal independently with the music, and exclude all else.  They could care less what music reviewers, DJ's, record company operatives think.  Most of them are strong minded, and successful in their own right.  Fighting off the naysayers who had their music dead and buried in the late 60's and early 70's seemed to add to their/our formation, in a sense.  The last laugh is always the best!   LOL

Now, cooler and "hipper" than ever with the healing of this reunion tour and work.   

Hipness comes from within...a state of mind.   Wink

meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »

I like the fact that they arent hip and never really were. It's endearing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »

The Beach Boys are a very hipster band believe it or not..

The pitchfork - animal collective - Panda Bear scene look at them as gods, well more so Brian Wilson

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »

The pitchfork - animal collective - Panda Bear scene look at them as gods, well more so Brian Wilson

I feel like The Beach Boys are a hipster band at the moment, but I know a lot of hipsters and they don't know/care about them - must haven't of heard the Pet Sounds genius hoopla. I see a lot of hipster love on the internet, though.

PS - never really got any of the people comparing Brian and Panda Bear/Animal Collective. I don't hear his influence in that music at all, despite what I read...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 10:03:08 AM »

I feel like The Beach Boys are a hipster band at the moment, but I know a lot of hipsters and they don't know/care about them - must haven't of heard the Pet Sounds genius hoopla. I see a lot of hipster love on the internet, though.

PS - never really got any of the people comparing Brian and Panda Bear/Animal Collective. I don't hear his influence in that music at all, despite what I read...

Yeah, Panda Bear just sounds like some guy whining over music that sounds like farts.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »

The perception of being hip is overrated. A lot of times the "hip" label applied to a musician becomes an excuse to either act like an ass, disregard the fans to the point of treating them like sheep, or play up to an image instead of being yourself.

The most hip musicians are actually far more normal and far less perfect than the labels would suggest.

What I love about the Beach Boys is that they do what they do, and generation after generation finds what they like about this band and latches on. Some like the showmanship, some like the Brian crowd versus the Mike crowd, all of the old debates that become more irrelevant with each passing year. But ultimately the music saves the day, and hip or un-hip, the music is what keeps the fire lit.

I will say, without a doubt, I agree that  the musician community has long championed the Beach Boys' music to anyone who would give them a listen with an open mind and open ears. There were always those people who would invite you to listen to something as casually dismissed as "Catch A Wave", play the intro chords, and point out just how complex and unusual something like that few bars of intro music really was hidden inside what some would consider a banal ode to surfing. Then those who got hip to that would pass it on to others coming up, and it was the folk process at work, where music that was sometimes lost in the shadows of Pet Sounds became a "holy sh*t!" revelation...and musicians are fiercely loyal to the Beach Boys, I have to say.

Put it this way: If you have a musician talking down about the Beach Boys in 2012, giving the benefit of the doubt they may not have been exposed to the music, they may have bought too much into perceptions of hip versus unhip, or they just don't have a clue and aren't worth the time. It's relatively easy to pick them out, and it's a reason why I drifted away from certain musical styles and genres whose people might suggest a certain style is more valid than The Beach Boys. Let them think that, it's their loss!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 01:45:20 PM »

I agree with what you all are saying. I have a friend who is a big Elvis fan. Talking about him being so cool and ahead of his time. Personally i think Roy Orbison is cooler and he didn't get that. Roy was himself and wrote his own songs. Elvis was a showman with a James Dean image.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »

Yeah, Panda Bear just sounds like some guy whining over music that sounds like farts.

First off, what Animal Collective are you listening to? There's no whining, and certainly no farting, nor anything that resembles either of those. Animal Collective's music is filled with childlike melodies and harmony driven chants, if you will. Panda Bear's solo work is filled with much of the same. Listen to All I Wanna Do and then Guys Eyes. Between the two groups, I hear so many similarities.  I like to think that Animal Collective are the Beach Boys had they grown up in the late 20th century.  Their music is very trippy, very psychedelic, and quite similar to the Boys post 66 material, in my opinion.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »

I agree with what you all are saying. I have a friend who is a big Elvis fan. Talking about him being so cool and ahead of his time. Personally i think Roy Orbison is cooler and he didn't get that. Roy was himself and wrote his own songs. Elvis was a showman with a James Dean image.

Holy crap do you need a refresher course on Elvis Presley.  Quite the shameful statement there. 
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 02:23:04 PM »

Holy crap do you need a refresher course on Elvis Presley.  Quite the shameful statement there. 

Which part are you referring to? Song writing? I thought it was known that Col Parker got Elvis wrtiting credits for the $, that he didnt actually write any. I'm not an Elvis expert by any means, enlighten us.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »

Which part are you referring to?

Umm....THIS part:

Elvis was a showman with a James Dean image.

Statements like that are just embarrassing by any so called "music fan."  For as much as we all want to get on this thread and say that the people who respect the Beach Boys are "true" music fans who know their sh*t, the exact same thing can be said for those who give Presley the props he rightfully deserves. 

Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Big Joe Turner may have all written their own stuff and/or come before Presley but NONE of them exploded onto the scene to provide us that huge "big bang" in rock and roll music and popular culture the way Elvis Presley did.  Not one.  It has nothing to do with what songs Elvis wrote or didn't write, his impact was immense and he is still the template everyone today is still following to be a rock and roll star.  Elvis' genius was combining several music genres into one delicious melting pot all while simultaneously infusing pop music with sexuality, lust and most importantly: danger.  The effects of all that he accomplished outweighs how many writing credits he had or how flashy his jumpsuits later became. 

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »

Which part are you referring to?

Umm....THIS part:

Elvis was a showman with a James Dean image.

Statements like that are just embarrassing by any so called "music fan."  For as much as we all want to get on this thread and say that the people who respect the Beach Boys are "true" music fans who know their sh*t, the exact same thing can be said for those who give Presley the props he rightfully deserves. 

Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Big Joe Turner may have all written their own stuff and/or come before Presley but NONE of them exploded onto the scene to provide us that huge "big bang" in rock and roll music and popular culture the way Elvis Presley did.  Not one.  It has nothing to do with what songs Elvis wrote or didn't write, his impact was immense and he is still the template everyone today is still following to be a rock and roll star.  Elvis' genius was combining several music genres into one delicious melting pot all while simultaneously infusing pop music with sexuality, lust and most importantly: danger.  The effects of all that he accomplished outweighs how many writing credits he had or how flashy his jumpsuits later became. 

Exactly! I would say that his musical talent and creativity was sort of like Al Jardine or Bob Dylan. More interpreter of songs then writer. But he was one of the best at making them his own and perfrmance. He was popular because of his looks, the way he sang, the way he performed. And he was as 'cool' as James Dean back then. And he was the first of that ilk. Am I wrong? A lot of people dig that. Personally, though, I find Roy Orbison cooler. Just an opinion. Or a preferance.

JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 09:37:18 PM »

James Dean was a little cry baby in a black leather jacket.

Hip can go screw.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:26:50 PM by JanBerryFarm » Logged

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 12:20:15 AM »

Elvis, while being a GREAT performer, at the end of the day, was a pawn of Col. Parker. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Fats Domino were/are the true kings of R&R.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 12:37:15 AM »

First off, what Animal Collective are you listening to? There's no whining, and certainly no farting, nor anything that resembles either of those. Animal Collective's music is filled with childlike melodies and harmony driven chants, if you will. Panda Bear's solo work is filled with much of the same. Listen to All I Wanna Do and then Guys Eyes. Between the two groups, I hear so many similarities.  I like to think that Animal Collective are the Beach Boys had they grown up in the late 20th century.  Their music is very trippy, very psychedelic, and quite similar to the Boys post 66 material, in my opinion.

the big prob with AC/Panda Bear is that they strive too hard to be hip and experimental. I just heard the first single from Centipede Hz and that was not really impressive. mostly noise imo, and i really enjoyed Merriweather and Person Pitch, Tomboy was less interesting. I guess they have their ups and downs as I am familiar with Feels and Strawberry Jam as well.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 01:26:55 AM »

Animal Collective's most BBs-sounding song: "College" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYMsDwl2xw

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 04:53:55 AM »

Animal Collective's most BBs-sounding song: "College" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYMsDwl2xw

Sounds like a bad cover of the Four Freshmen... Ergo, it also sounds like the BBs.

I can hear the farts, though.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 09:55:10 AM »

Elvis, while being a GREAT performer, at the end of the day, was a pawn of Col. Parker. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Fats Domino were/are the true kings of R&R.

Where's Jerry Lee Lewis in your list? Elvis would agree with your Fats Domino claim since he himself believed that Fats was the true "king."

Those dudes were just as important, no doubt, but none of them brought on the huge tidal wave that Elvis brought on.  That's just a fact.  I have no idea why you're looping Col. Parker into the discussion.  Col Parker wasn't the one singing those songs, laying down extraordinary vocals or performing on stage.  The Colonel wasn't singing country, blues, rock and roll and gospel.  Elvis was the one.  To belittle Elvis as just a "performer" is a pretty sloppy mistake.  Very few singers in music were able to glide effortlessly between genres and transform their voice as easily as Elvis did.  It baffles the mind that the same dude who sang  "Jailhouse Rock" and "A Mess of Blues" also sang "Are You Lonesome Tonight" , "It's Now Or Never" and "Amazing Grace."   In terms of voices, Elvis is most definitely up there with the greats, which include our very own Carl Wilson.

If it were up to the Colonel, Elvis would have done an Andy Williams type Christmas special during that faithful week in December 1968.  But Elvis knew that wasn't his thing to just go out there wearing a red turtleneck, sipping eggnog all while singing "Jingle Bells."  Instead, he and director Steve Binder did things they way he wanted to do them....thus bringing us the legendary 68 Comeback Special. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:46:29 AM by Justin » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 10:08:51 AM »

It should be pointed out that Elvis was also an oft-times uncredited producer and arranger on many of his recordings.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »

The Beach Boys are considered hip by many young folks who care about hipness.

But only if they can dismiss everything pre-Pet Sounds to the tyranny of that square Mike Love and everything post-Pet Sounds to Brian's brain being fried by drugs, man.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »

He was popular because of his looks, the way he sang, the way he performed. And he was as 'cool' as James Dean back then. And he was the first of that ilk. Am I wrong? A lot of people dig that. Personally, though, I find Roy Orbison cooler. Just an opinion. Or a preferance.

Eh I guess.  What you're saying is like saying "I mean, yeah, I guess Thomas Edison was good.  But I really like Edwin H. Land."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:54:19 AM by Justin » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx