gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:44:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 66: Indoor Stadium - Singapore 8/22/12  (Read 45484 times)
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 12:15:11 AM »

The setlist is up on Setlistsfm--looks like they got a nice long set in--49 songs.  No "Forever," tho.  Wonder why the video screen makes it to some countries and not others? 
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 05:43:20 AM »

I really wonder about the Sail on Sailor choreography.  Is Brian laughing at the song or is this his honest-to-goodness shot at a good performance? Is the band laughing with him or at him (not in a vicious way, but in a "oh that goofy guy" kind of way).

I don't know, but one possibillity is that the movements help to sing the notes... in better pitch. Jeff supports Brian vocally, and now and then others join in.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:45:13 AM by Jaco » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:35 AM »

So why was no video wall in Singapore ? I'm confused ?
Anyway, very nice version of GOK by Brian. Thanks for the links !

From Mike's Australian interview, I gathered that the video wall is only being used when the venue has the equipment. They didn't bring it with them, but if the venue has one, they use it.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 09:25:05 AM »

The "this whole world" video contains some of the best live vocals by Brian from the last 20-30 years. I'm in awe.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 10:00:41 AM »

I am watching these videos  Cool Guy and they are so fantastic. They aren't Brian's best vocals on the tour, but I think the reason we think they're amazing because Brian isn't "rote" - it seems like he's actually aware and TRYING to do a great vocal and do a little something different with his lead voice. These days, you kinda know what you're getting fron Brian in concert, but these were fresh and exciting takes on the songs they've been doing for three straight months If my head wasn't so cloudy I could do an in depth analysis of each video just based on watching and listening to Brian in those clips.

"I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" - he actually looks like he's crying (I know that's just his facial expression due to meds or something), but I feel the emotion and the yearning in that song coming out of him,  watching Brian in the clip, the same emotion that was there in '66 but was absent for a long time......And he really goes for the "when my fairweather friends cop out" falsetto - he blends in unison with Jeff! The second time, it must have taken a lot out of him because he dropped real low for the "what's it all about?." section. And then he sings the next line as "sometimes I feel velly sad", doing an accent and you see a glimpse of a SMiLE on his face. So fantastic.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:03:27 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »

I don't exactly hear Brian doing "velly" but rather "verrrrry" with a rolling r.  Still funny though.
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 10:41:59 AM »

When I heard that rrrolling 'R' (a little too much) I thought he might just have done some exercises with a vocal coach, in between the busy schedule. Anyway, Brian looks good and sings good.
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice - great atmosphere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bes3YoiTr5o
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »

Quick question: At about the 3:30 mark on the IJWMFTT, does Mike sing "I guess he just wasn't made for these times"? I've listened a couple times and it seems like it but not entirely sure. Nice touch if he does...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »

Quick question: At about the 3:30 mark on the IJWMFTT, does Mike sing "I guess he just wasn't made for these times"? I've listened a couple times and it seems like it but not entirely sure. Nice touch if he does...

Yes, but that's Al.

BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 06:28:40 AM »

Thanks for checking and the correction!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »

Wonder why the video screen makes it to some countries and not others? 

Costs too much!
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »

Wonder why the video screen makes it to some countries and not others? 

Costs too much!

Looks like a fake to me!

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »

And then he sings the next line as "sometimes I feel velly sad", doing an accent and you see a glimpse of a SMiLE on his face. So fantastic.

I noticed this too.

I thought he was saying "very" in a stereotypical way to poke fun of the Asians. "Sometimes I feel varry sad". He probably wasn't doing that, but if he was that's pretty damn funny (if politically incorrect).

The ways he sobs "sometimes I feel very sad" is similar to his mock emotion in "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" film when he cries out "My house is gone!".  

Brian seemed to be annoyed by something during "Add Some Music". Maybe someone with a flash camera.

He's definitely having some fun up there. Good for him.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »

I noticed this too.

I thought he was saying "very" in a stereotypical way to poke fun of the Asians. "Sometimes I feel varry sad". He probably wasn't doing that, but if he was that's pretty damn funny (if politically incorrect).

I was watching "Frank Sinatra Live in Tokyo" on DVD a few weeks ago and during "Luck Be A Lady" Frank sang the lyric as "Ruck be a Rady."   LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 01:30:58 PM »

From Brian's Facebook page:

http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2012/08/23/on-the-beach-boys/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »

And then he sings the next line as "sometimes I feel velly sad", doing an accent and you see a glimpse of a SMiLE on his face. So fantastic.

I noticed this too.

Had Mike attempted something like that, we would be backslashing the guy.
Had Bruce attempted something like that, we would have a new hate thread.

I dig that Brian did it, though. And, I say it again, TWW is some of te best live vocals from him I've heard. This tour so far has been his best with the BBs since -- what? 1965?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2012, 03:34:52 AM »

So why was no video wall in Singapore ? I'm confused ?
Anyway, very nice version of GOK by Brian. Thanks for the links !

From Mike's Australian interview, I gathered that the video wall is only being used when the venue has the equipment. They didn't bring it with them, but if the venue has one, they use it.

Looks good for my gig in Melbourne then! Grin

Screens must come with the venue as seen here at 'Flight Of The Concords' last month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkMmcKL2l2s
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 03:35:57 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2012, 04:49:50 AM »

Review:
http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/blogs/singapore-showbiz/beach-boys-beaten-battered-still-rockin-033217656.html
The Beach Boys beaten and battered, but still rockin’

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2012, 07:11:53 AM »

That article refers to songs called "Isn't She Lovely" and "Sitting on Top of the World."  What songs could the author be referring to?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2012, 08:00:43 AM »

That article refers to songs called "Isn't She Lovely" and "Sitting on Top of the World."  What songs could the author be referring to?

"Sitting on top..." = "Catch a wave" (...and you're sitting on top of the world)

Don't know what "Isn't she lovely" should be. It's certainly not the Stevie Wonder song and since they are talking about new songs in the next part of the sentence it also might not be "Isn't it time".

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »

I noticed this too.

I dig that Brian did it, though. And, I say it again, TWW is some of te best live vocals from him I've heard. This tour so far has been his best with the BBs since -- what? 1965?

Oh, come on guys, Brian wasn't making fun of Asians. he just has a funny singing voice.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »

Worst review I've ever read. A show that includes both singing off-key and lip-synching should be deemed as terrible. Yet he ends up saying it was great. What a mess!

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2012, 11:43:18 AM »

I noticed this too.

Oh, come on guys, Brian wasn't making fun of Asians. he just has a funny singing voice.

I kinda think he was. Maybe an inside joke. You did see that sly smile on his face as he was singing it like that, didn't you? That's one of those looks that you make when you're getting away with something.  Cheesy

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »

I really wonder about the Sail on Sailor choreography.  Is Brian laughing at the song or is this his honest-to-goodness shot at a good performance? Is the band laughing with him or at him (not in a vicious way, but in a "oh that goofy guy" kind of way).

Anything Brian Wilson does is endearing to those around him.

No mas, por favor.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx