gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:42:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what exactly will the 50th Anniversary box set entail?  (Read 30941 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »

Know what would be cool? A track that's an edit of all/the more interesting backing vocals performed by Brian, Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce on this album. No country singers, no country arrangements, just highlights of the very last recordings of "the blend".

You can already hear a lot of that with the Nashville Sounds documentary they released (twice!) on DVD back in the 90's. 

Haven't seen that, thanks for the heads up.

Still, having a proper CD edit would be nice and certainly deserves a release. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »

I'm not particularly obsessed with whether this box set arrives or not.

Of course you aren't.

Phil, let me make one thing clear:  I'm not one of the people who keeps gunning for you.  I have, as far as I can tell, never responded critically to you on these boards at all.  But I want to say something to you.

In the space of about twelve months, they've put out:  a comprehensive Smile Sessions box set, a new album, two different Greatest Hits, a whole stack of remastered albums, and a second career-spanning box-set.  That's approximately twenty-eight discs of Beach Boys material.  More Beach Boys stuff than I think anyone has ever put out, ever, in a similar length of time.

You said the Smile Sessions box set would never come out.

You said the new album would never come out.

You said the Greatest Hits would never come out.

You said the remastered albums would never come out.

Even after the remastered albums came out in Japan, you said the remastered albums would never come out.

You said the box set would never come out.

You never gave the slightest indication that you felt your statements were in any way doubtful.

Look at your life, man.  Look at your choices.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2012, 09:50:39 PM »

Is Stars & Stripes even worth listening to? I have a copy, but just can't bring myself to listen. My tolerance for modern country is extremely limited, and the idea of the guys backing modern country singers on modern country arrangements doesn't sound appealing.

It's worth at least one listen. It's not offensively bad, just pretty mediocre. A handful of tracks, especially "Caroline, No" are really good.

Cool, I've heard good things about this version of "Caroline, No" before. I'll give it a listen (I GUESS), even if the premise alone is still a drag. Last Beach Boys album with Carl Wilson! Last Beach Boys vocals featuring Carl Wilson! But he's backing Toby Keith.

I actually dig "409" from Stars and Stripes/Nashville Sounds with Junior Brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qsYreBJZE
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2012, 10:12:05 PM »

Know what would be cool? A track that's an edit of all/the more interesting backing vocals performed by Brian, Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce on this album. No country singers, no country arrangements, just highlights of the very last recordings of "the blend".

You can already hear a lot of that with the Nashville Sounds documentary they released (twice!) on DVD back in the 90's. 

Haven't seen that, thanks for the heads up.

Still, having a proper CD edit would be nice and certainly deserves a release. imo.

I think the snippets you hear on these DVDs will suffice.  Trust me, you would rather they make room for more interesting stuff on the box set.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:54 PM »

Is Stars & Stripes even worth listening to? I have a copy, but just can't bring myself to listen. My tolerance for modern country is extremely limited, and the idea of the guys backing modern country singers on modern country arrangements doesn't sound appealing.

It's worth at least one listen. It's not offensively bad, just pretty mediocre. A handful of tracks, especially "Caroline, No" are really good.

Cool, I've heard good things about this version of "Caroline, No" before. I'll give it a listen (I GUESS), even if the premise alone is still a drag. Last Beach Boys album with Carl Wilson! Last Beach Boys vocals featuring Carl Wilson! But he's backing Toby Keith.

I actually dig "409" from Stars and Stripes/Nashville Sounds with Junior Brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qsYreBJZE

I like Willy Nelson's Warmth of the Sun too
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2012, 01:50:31 AM »

So judging by that listing, the box will be titled Made In California.

So it won't feature tracks from "Holland"! Cheesy

Release date two days before my birthday.

Hey!  It's coming out only 3.5 months before my birthday.  Everyone, look at me!
Smiley

I'm looking at you. And now?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2012, 02:03:29 AM »

Sorry, but I just have to be annoying and point out that Sail On, Sailor was recorded in California.

Oh yes, right, I forgot. But you're wrong about one thing: I'm NOT annoyed. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2012, 02:26:05 AM »

Sorry, but I just have to be annoying and point out that Sail On, Sailor was recorded in California.

Oh yes, right, I forgot. But you're wrong about one thing: I'm NOT annoyed. Grin

Maybe they could just do a 12 second medley of songs from KTSA, BB85, Still Cruisin', SIP and Stars and Stripes.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2012, 07:16:03 AM »

You said the Smile Sessions box set would never come out.

You said the new album would never come out.

You said the Greatest Hits would never come out.

You said the remastered albums would never come out.

Even after the remastered albums came out in Japan, you said the remastered albums would never come out.

You said the box set would never come out.

Yeah, it’s funny to see it listed out like that. Well, look at it this way: Phil’s got quite a streak going. A no-hitter in fact, and it’s now at least the seventh inning. I almost wonder if deep in his subconscious, he’s afraid to “jinx” things by allowing himself even a smidgeon of hope. I used to be a Red Sox fan (before moving to Baltimore), and I remember how I allowed myself zero hope, even with two outs in game four, until that ball landed safely in Doug Mientkiewicz’ glove (and no, I didn’t even have to look that up, expect the spelling).

So I’m with you Phil. This blasted box set ain’t never gonna happen! Mark our words!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:16:55 AM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:16 AM »

What will be on the new box ?  Consider this.

In 1993, the fan world was consulted: we were urged to send in our fantasy set lists for a 4CD box, and a lot of us did. Exactly how much did that influence the final product ? More than you'd imagine. and aside from the fan lists, were it not for the personal intervention of some high-level fans, the box would have lacked "All This Is That" as well as having the incorrect version of at least one charting single (similarly, The Fairytale was almost left off the CATP/Holland 2fer until someone made a fuss and pointed out that the projected Brother Rarities 2CD set where it was slated to appear wasn't set in stone).

Time and technology has moved on: the interested parties no longer need to solicit lists when they can eavesdrop on forums and directly email people whose opinion is, rightly or wrongly, considered of some import. Or, in plain English, Capitol et al have doubtless noted our demands for selected archive tracks and/or rarities and, given that the upcoming box is a 6CD set married with an atmosphere or reconciliation, I'd personally be surprised if those tracks we've demanded most vociferously haven't been at the very least considered. This is the last time such a project can be done on this scale and above all properly. Thus far, Capitol have been batting 1.000: I hope we're in for a few treats.

Of course, I realise that some here will fine-comb the post I've just made and divine that I know what will be included and am further torturing young master Cohen by keeping this knowledge to myself (a small pleasure, but one of my few). Actually, it's mostly the product of logical thinking lightly frosted with some wishful thinking.  Smiley

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:29:05 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2012, 03:25:42 AM »

In 1993, the fan world was consulted: we were urged to send in our fantasy set lists for a 4CD box, and a lot of us did. Exactly how much did that influence the final product ? More than you'd imagine. and aside from the fan lists, were it not for the personal intervention of some high-level fans, the box would have lacked "All This Is That" as well as having the incorrect version of at least one charting single (similarly, The Fairytale was almost left off the CATP/Holland 2fer until someone made a fuss and pointed out that the projected Brother Rarities 2CD set where it was slated to appear was set in stone).

Time and technology has moved on: the interested parties no longer need to solicit lists when they can eavesdrop on forums and directly email people whose opinion is, rightly or wrongly, considered of some import. Or, in plain English, Capitol et al have doubtless noted our demands for selected archive tracks and/or rarities and, given that the upcoming box is a 6CD set married with an atmosphere or reconciliation, I'd personally be surprised if those tracks we've demanded most vociferously haven't been at the very least considered. This is the last time such a project can be done on this scale and above all properly. Thus far, Capitol have been batting 1.000: I hope we're in for a few treats.

Of course, I realise that some here will fine-comb the post I've just made and divine that I know what will be included and am further torturing young master Cohen by keeping this knowledge to myself (a small pleasure, but one of my few). Actually, it's mostly the product of logical thinking lightly frosted with some wishful thinking.  Smiley

Who are you again? I know Richard James Doe posts here sometimes, the guy that runs the Bellagio site, but I don't think I've ever heard of any Andrew G Doe before...

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2012, 03:27:09 AM »

In 1993, the fan world was consulted: we were urged to send in our fantasy set lists for a 4CD box, and a lot of us did. Exactly how much did that influence the final product ? More than you'd imagine. and aside from the fan lists, were it not for the personal intervention of some high-level fans, the box would have lacked "All This Is That" as well as having the incorrect version of at least one charting single (similarly, The Fairytale was almost left off the CATP/Holland 2fer until someone made a fuss and pointed out that the projected Brother Rarities 2CD set where it was slated to appear was set in stone).

Thank you for your surprisingly gentle reassurance, Mr. Doe. I'll be optimistic. But just this once!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2012, 03:27:44 AM »

Worry not who I am: just accept that I am.  Old Man

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2012, 03:31:25 AM »

Thank you for your surprisingly gentle reassurance, Mr. Doe. I'll be optimistic. But just this once!

I'm trying a new approach: seems my usual stance of "I know and you don't, so STFU" was perceived as a tad antagonistic. Don't see it myself, but hey, I'm good to try something new.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:32:43 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2012, 03:41:00 AM »

I'm trying a new approach: seems my usual stance of "I know and you don't, so STFU" was perceived as a tad antagonistic. Don't see it myself, but hey, I'm good to try something new.  Grin

The new Doe is aiming for understanding, tenderness and brotherly love.

He's turning into Mike Love.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2012, 03:47:01 AM »

What will be on the new box ?  Consider this.

Of course, I realise that some here will fine-comb the post I've just made and divine that I know what will be included and am further torturing young master Cohen by keeping this knowledge to myself (a small pleasure, but one of my few). Actually, it's mostly the product of logical thinking lightly frosted with some wishful thinking.  Smiley

Wow - spoilers!  The clues are there -  you just have to sift through to get 'em:

fantasy = Fantasy is Reality/Bells of Madness
Imagine = live version of the Lennon classic, lead by Mike see (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfmH2wHTQZ8)
solicit = Beatrice from Baltimore
parties = Beach Boys Party! outtakes (Ruby Baby, Satisfaction etc)
6 x married = Mike Love solo rarities!
1.000 = 10,000 Years
divine = It's Like Heaven
frosted = Frosty the Snowman (carburetor mix)

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2012, 03:51:10 AM »

Mad as a box of very mad frogs.  Ahhh!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2012, 03:52:30 AM »

OH sh*t

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MBE
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2012, 03:55:52 AM »

Of course, I realise that some here will fine-comb the post I've just made and divine that I know what will be included and am further torturing young master Cohen by keeping this knowledge to myself (a small pleasure, but one of my few). Actually, it's mostly the product of logical thinking lightly frosted with some wishful thinking.  Smiley

Wow - spoilers!  The clues are there -  you just have to sift through to get 'em:

Imagine = live version of the Lennon classic, lead by Mike see (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfmH2wHTQZ8)
1.000 = 10,000 Years
Ok that's funny
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2012, 03:59:30 AM »

Great post.

1.000 = 10,000 Years

Greatest post.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2012, 04:34:50 AM »

I'm trying a new approach: seems my usual stance of "I know and you don't, so STFU" was perceived as a tad antagonistic.
So you actually do know what will be on the box, is that what you're trying to say?  Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2012, 04:56:27 AM »

I'm trying to say what I think.

I think.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2012, 05:23:19 AM »

there is an "unofficial" release out called stars and stripes stripped that comes close to what you just asked for. had some bleed thru of the lead vocals but mostly just the background blend. i'm sure one can find it....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2012, 06:21:12 AM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »

The tracklisting will be released shortly after the 2 CD GH comp comes out.  They want to make sure we buy the deluxe hits comp to get the single version of "Isn't It Time" BEFORE they tell us that it will be on the box set, naturally.   Evil
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx