gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680873 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:26:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what exactly will the 50th Anniversary box set entail?  (Read 31117 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

Box listed at amazon.co.de for pre-order as an import.

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2012, 03:31:20 PM »

Yeah personally I'm cool if they don't put previously released rarities on there. Therefore, no "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" or "Lonely Days" or whatever. However, if there are previously unreleased versions of things, like another version of "Can't Wait Too Long" or the aforementioned mix of "Child Is Father Of The Man", then I'm all for those being released. But besides that, I'd hope that all other stuff is previously unreleased, because there are a lot of really cool unreleased things that are there to be chosen from.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:53:56 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »

Realistically, I'm thinking we'll get a half, to maybe 3/4ths a disc's worth of "new" (previously officially unreleased) material. There has to be room for everything else - hits, album tracks, many of the things on the GV box simply need to be on a career spanning box. I'd venture to guess maybe a little less SMiLE material this time around.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:04:28 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2012, 03:52:47 PM »

Yeah personally I'm cool if they don't put previously released rarities on there. Therefore, no "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" or "Lonely Days" or whatever. However, if there are previously unreleased versions of things, like anotherversion of "Can't Wait Too Long" or the aforementioned mix of "Child Is Father Of The Man", then I'm all for those being released. But besides that, I'd hope that all other stuff is previously unreleased, because there are a lot of really cool unreleased things that are there to be chosen from.

We definitely need a new version of Can't Wait Too Long.  One is decent, but omits the tag.  The other includes the tag, but to get to it, you need to listen to "can't wait too long, can't wait too long baby ..." repeated for what seems like eternity.  How about a version that is the best of both worlds?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »

Realistically, I'm thinking we'll get a half, maybe 3/4 a disc's to a  worth of "new" (previously officially unreleased) material. There has to be room for everything else - hits, album tracks, many of the things on the GV box simply need to be on a career spanning box. I'd venture to guess maybe a little less SMiLE material this time around.

I'm hoping they gear this set a little more towards the diehard fanbase personally.  The casuals already are getting two different formats of which to choose from.  The box set should be marketed towards the folks on this forum just like the SMiLE box set was.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »

Link please? I can't find it Sad

PhilCohen
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »

Anyone else thinking that all the two-fer bonus tracks will be on the box set? I say this as there are no bonus tracks on the new remasters.

Yeah. I've thought the exact same thing.

People are bitching that there are no bonus tracks on these new remasters, but frankly, I find bonus tracks just get in the way of the actual album. I'll be very surprised if their not in the boxset.

Since the GV box is going out of print and the 2fer bonus tracks will become unavailable, it's a safe bet most or all of the bonus tracks on those CD's will be appear on the new box.  With 6 CD's to fill, how much previously unavailable complete songs can they find to fill those?  The answer is . . . they can't, so the question is what they will fill up the rest of the box with.  I suspect:  session excerpts and instrumental takes, alternate mixes, vocals only tracks, and LIVE material.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got some more Smile stuff, e.g. Barnyard without flown in vocals, stereo remixes of Cabin Essence etc.

For Cabinessence, Capitol has the multitrack for the instruments and for the 1966 vocals, but they don't have the multitrack for the 1968 vocal overdub session(where Carl & Dennis' vocals were added)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2012, 08:59:51 PM »

Link please? I can't find it Sad

http://www.amazon.de/Career-Spanning-Box-Beach-Boys/dp/B008XZKSRY/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1345607952&sr=1-6
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »

So judging by that listing, the box will be titled Made In California. I like it.

And the price on amazon.de is 175.99 Euros. Which translates to about $219.39. Yowza. As long as it brings the goods though, I'm in.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:25:08 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2012, 10:35:26 PM »

So judging by that listing, the box will be titled Made In California. I like it.

And the price on amazon.de is 175.99 Euros. Which translates to about $219.39. Yowza. As long as it brings the goods though, I'm in.

Thanks for adding that - when I found it last night the link wouldn't work properly and when I did get through the set was imaginatively titled "Career Spanning Box Set"!

On the price, note that it's listed as an import, probably from the US, hence hike. The EU domestic release and the US domestic will probably come in a lot cheaper in their own territories.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2012, 10:55:41 PM »

I totally dig the name...very simple and effective.  Can't wait to see the tracklist.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

"MADE IN CALIFORNIA"

Tasteful, Marketable, and True.
I love it.

GIVE IT TO US SOON CAPITOL. MY FUNDS ARE ALMOST VIABLE.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2012, 12:06:17 AM »

175,99 for a 6 CD set? That's almost 30 euros per CD, which is twice the price of a regular CD. So if that's really the price, I'm guessing the box will have more than just the CDs. Maybe a book and/or some vinyl, just like in the Smile Sessions box?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:27 AM »

175,99 for a 6 CD set? That's almost 30 euros per CD, which is twice the price of a regular CD. So if that's really the price, I'm guessing the box will have more than just the CDs. Maybe a book and/or some vinyl, just like in the Smile Sessions box?

On the price, note that it's listed as an import, probably from the US, hence hike. The EU domestic release and the US domestic will probably come in a lot cheaper in their own territories.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2012, 12:52:38 AM »

Price dropped radically now - to 80,99

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2012, 01:08:13 AM »

If any powers-that-be are reading this and the track lineup is not already set in stone (which I'm sure it is), PLEASE include among the unreleased tracks the "I've Got A Friend" instrumental track that Dennis recorded. SUCH A GREAT SONG. PLEEEASE!!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »

So judging by that listing, the box will be titled Made In California.

So it won't feature tracks from "Holland"! Cheesy

Release date two days before my birthday.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2012, 01:31:30 AM »

So judging by that listing, the box will be titled Made In California.

So it won't feature tracks from "Holland"! Cheesy

… or any contributions from Jardine and Johnston?  Grin

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2012, 03:08:33 AM »

Sorry, but I just have to be annoying and point out that Sail On, Sailor was recorded in California.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2012, 03:16:24 AM »

Anyone else thinking that all the two-fer bonus tracks will be on the box set? I say this as there are no bonus tracks on the new remasters.

Yeah. I've thought the exact same thing.

People are bitching that there are no bonus tracks on these new remasters, but frankly, I find bonus tracks just get in the way of the actual album. I'll be very surprised if their not in the boxset.

Since the GV box is going out of print and the 2fer bonus tracks will become unavailable, it's a safe bet most or all of the bonus tracks on those CD's will be appear on the new box.  With 6 CD's to fill, how much previously unavailable complete songs can they find to fill those?  The answer is . . . they can't, so the question is what they will fill up the rest of the box with.  I suspect:  session excerpts and instrumental takes, alternate mixes, vocals only tracks, and LIVE material.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got some more Smile stuff, e.g. Barnyard without flown in vocals, stereo remixes of Cabin Essence etc.

For Cabinessence, Capitol has the multitrack for the instruments and for the 1966 vocals, but they don't have the multitrack for the 1968 vocal overdub session(where Carl & Dennis' vocals were added)

Smile AD 4.0 has got the best Cabin mix one can get. Stereo tracka and stereo 1966 vocal harmonies and Carl/Dennis mono lead/insert in the middle. works out just perfectly. But would be nice for something like that to be released, it is a gem which sounds better in stereo imo.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2012, 03:28:30 AM »

I'm hoping that there's more going on that what amazon.de has listed. Are they really going to just let a bunch of their albums go out of print?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2012, 07:09:41 AM »

So the price went down from 140 to 80 €? As much as it is redundant and overpriced I like box sets with great packaging, lots of gimmicks and some coffee table booklet. Is it confirmed that all 6 discs are audio format? Maybe they will be some DVD. I don't care that much for remixes or live stuff (for that I still hope for beachboyscentral to surface). I want some if not all unreleased songs and non album singles and one CD dedicated to Dennis.  Thumbs Up

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2012, 07:17:03 AM »

I'm hoping that there's more going on that what amazon.de has listed. Are they really going to just let a bunch of their albums go out of print?

I seriously wouldn't worry that much. I'm sure the rest of the albums will be re-released. I can't see why they'd let over half of their catalogue go out of print for no reason. They'll all be out soon enough I'd think. They just aren't putting them all out at once.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2012, 07:18:38 AM »

I'm guessing the box will have more than just the CDs. Maybe a book and/or some vinyl, just like in the Smile Sessions box?

Maybe some extensive session notes like C-man did for TSS?  To me, that would make it worth while.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2012, 07:18:47 AM »

I'm getting to the point where I hope we hear something like today or tomorrow, now that this is showing up on Amazon!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:20:27 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx