gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:51:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what exactly will the 50th Anniversary box set entail?  (Read 30940 times)
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2012, 09:29:59 AM »

(similarly, The Fairytale was almost left off the CATP/Holland 2fer until someone made a fuss and pointed out that the projected Brother Rarities 2CD set where it was slated to appear wasn't set in stone).

While it's great that there are fans who get listened to on these sorts of issues, the fact that we did get a CD reissue of "Mount Vernon & Fairway" but missed out on a 2CD set of Brother Rarities does rather make it look like we won a battle but lost the war.

The tracklisting will be released shortly after the 2 CD GH comp comes out.  They want to make sure we buy the deluxe hits comp to get the single version of "Isn't It Time" BEFORE they tell us that it will be on the box set, naturally.   Evil

Why not just buy the single?
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42:08 AM »

The tracklisting will be released shortly after the 2 CD GH comp comes out.  They want to make sure we buy the deluxe hits comp to get the single version of "Isn't It Time" BEFORE they tell us that it will be on the box set, naturally.   Evil

Heh, I hear ya. But it's not even that so much as the remasters. I've preordered all but 3 of 'em, so watch now a day later they announce they'll all be included in a box set...

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »

They want to make sure we buy the deluxe hits comp to get the single version of "Isn't It Time" BEFORE they tell us that it will be on the box set, naturally.   Evil

And it'll be an alternate version to entice the completist collectors.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:48:00 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2012, 11:29:54 AM »

I'm nervous just thinking about the moment they release the tracklisting and I have to scan over the contents of the six discs just to see if they've included "WIBNTLA."
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »

O.K. Great title. IMO ALL of the Dennis/Dragon vault material should be included, finished or not (not enough for  a dedicated album, so may be last chance unless the future holds a DW solo retrospective, a distant/distinct possibility). Hope band members who absorbed his estate permissions to absolve outstanding debts will agree that that's the high road, and programmers will concur. Not holding my breath. Thank You (For Your Love), Solar System (backing vocals only), Our Sweet Love " " ", Slip On Through backing vocals only, Cottonfields vocals only, Break Away " " ", In The Back of My Mind re-recording, I've Got A Friend instr. track, CA Feeling '74, WIBNTLA, and a particular Pet Sounds-era track (vague, I know, name escapes me), that's supposed to be esp. terrific, BARE MINIMUM! Unreleased, unreleased & more unreleased, as is undoubtedly planned. Will be much more material than this of course but these are ESSENTIAL must-hears. Oh, and The Flame's 2nd album (probably have to keep hoping & waiting for it's own dedicated release, may never happen....). Anticipation overfloweth!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:25:45 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »

O.K. Great title. IMO ALL of the Dennis/Dragon vault material should be included, finished or not (not enough for  a dedicated album, so may be last chance unless the future holds a DW solo retrospective, a distant/distinct possibility). Hope band members who absorbed his estate permissions to absolve outstanding debts will agree that that's the high road, and programmers will concur. Not holding my breath. Thank You (For Your Love), Solar System (backing vocals only), Our Sweet Love " " ", Slip On Through backing vocals only, Cottonfields vocals only, Break Away " " ", In The Back of My Mind re-recording, I've Got A Friend instr. track, CA Feeling '74, WIBNTLA, and a particular Pet Sounds-era track (vague, I know, name escapes me), that's supposed to be esp. terrific, BARE MINIMUM! Unreleased, untreleased & more unreleased, as is undoubtedly planned. Will be much more material than this of course but these are ESSENTIAL must-hears. Oh, and The Flame's 2nd album (probably have to keep hoping & waiting for it's own dedicated release, may never happen....). Anticipation overfloweth!

Eh. Don't need/want backing vocals only - unless it's one or two out of all the tracks, which I'd be OK with.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »

O.K. Great title. IMO ALL of the Dennis/Dragon vault material should be included, finished or not (not enough for  a dedicated album, so may be last chance unless the future holds a DW solo retrospective, a distant/distinct possibility). Hope band members who absorbed his estate permissions to absolve outstanding debts will agree that that's the high road, and programmers will concur. Not holding my breath. Thank You (For Your Love), Solar System (backing vocals only), Our Sweet Love " " ", Slip On Through backing vocals only, Cottonfields vocals only, Break Away " " ", In The Back of My Mind re-recording, I've Got A Friend instr. track, CA Feeling '74, WIBNTLA, and a particular Pet Sounds-era track (vague, I know, name escapes me), that's supposed to be esp. terrific, BARE MINIMUM! Unreleased, untreleased & more unreleased, as is undoubtedly planned. Will be much more material than this of course but these are ESSENTIAL must-hears. Oh, and The Flame's 2nd album (probably have to keep hoping & waiting for it's own dedicated release, may never happen....). Anticipation overfloweth!

I definitely agree about the DW/Dragon music.  I thought that the Taylor Hawkins lead vocal added to "Holy Man" worked very well on the POB/Bambu release and it'd be nice if they could do something like that for "I've Got a Friend" (as well as the original instrumental track).  I doubt that it'll happen, but it would be nice.

It would also be nice to see one of the CDs contain the "Adult Child" track in their intended running order.  It would take up less than half a disc, so hopefully there would be additional things before or after on the same disc, but since the album was more or less complete, it seems possible to do it that way.  At the very least, I'd like to see "Life is for the Living," "Everybody Wants to Live," and "It's Trying to Say."
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »

I definitely agree about the DW/Dragon music.  I thought that the Taylor Hawkins lead vocal added to "Holy Man" worked very well on the POB/Bambu release and it'd be nice if they could do something like that for "I've Got a Friend" (as well as the original instrumental track).  I doubt that it'll happen, but it would be nice.

It would also be nice to see one of the CDs contain the "Adult Child" track in their intended running order.  It would take up less than half a disc, so hopefully there would be additional things before or after on the same disc, but since the album was more or less complete, it seems possible to do it that way.  At the very least, I'd like to see "Life is for the Living," "Everybody Wants to Live," and "It's Trying to Say."

No way does the set include an entire album straight through.  Pet Sounds didn't even get that in '93, and won't now--and Adult Child is no Pet Sounds. 

Why waste valuable space with the likes of Hey Little Tomboy, Deep Purple and On Broadway?  Or even the 4 songs that were already on the GV set?  That space could go to something unbooted and unreleased.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »

Eh. Don't need/want backing vocals only - unless it's one or two out of all the tracks, which I'd be OK with.

Beg to differ, the backing vocals-only material is some of the BEST material there is IMO, some incredible stuff. Our Sweet Love features a revelatory verse by Brian at the end that was buried in the Sunflower mix.

Daly, Chicago 1968
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2012, 10:36:24 PM »

Beg to differ, the backing vocals-only material is some of the BEST material there is IMO, some incredible stuff. Our Sweet Love features a revelatory verse by Brian at the end that was buried in the Sunflower mix.

I agree.  The Beach Boys are one of the only bands I can think of where I'd eat up any vocals-only or backing track releases.  It's a testimony to Brian's genius and it's worthy of our attention.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2012, 12:05:12 AM »

Please Let Me Wonder backing vocals would be very much appreciated, for starters.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2012, 02:33:55 AM »

Our Sweet Love features a revelatory verse by Brian at the end that was buried in the Sunflower mix.

It might have been revelatory, but it was definitely the right decision not to include that Brian bit IMO.
But I agree, backing vocals/vocals only, I'm all for it. But of course, unreleased/unbooted before anything.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2012, 03:09:36 AM »

Is the omitted vocal really "revelatory" in some way, or is it just "revelatory" in that it's not on the final? I don't baunderstand.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 25, 2012, 03:15:31 AM »

Is the omitted vocal really "revelatory" in some way, or is it just "revelatory" in that it's not on the final? I don't baunderstand.

It was Brian singing the Formula for the human genome, years before the laggard scientists cracked it.

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 25, 2012, 03:27:04 AM »

It was Brian singing the Formula for the human genome, years before the laggard scientists cracked it.

BEHBEHBUHBEHBEHBEH

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 25, 2012, 03:55:09 AM »

Just because it wasn't in the final version, really. It's not like he suddenly showed the world that he could do five-part harmony all by himself at the same time (with no studio trickery/pentuple tracking, I mind you), and in fact the rest of the Beach Boys never really existed.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2012, 03:58:46 AM »

Just because it wasn't in the final version, really. It's not like he suddenly showed the world that he could do five-part harmony all by himself at the same time (with no studio trickery/pentuple tracking, I mind you), and in fact the rest of the Beach Boys never really existed.

Ah, awright. I wasn't sure if Brian suddenly busted out into "WHAAAAT WOULD I BEEEEE WITHOOOOOOOOOOOOOU" or something interesting like that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:02:31 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2012, 04:28:46 AM »

LOL

...or the geographical co-ordinates for the location of the Lost Ark of the Covenant?

The mind boggles.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2012, 06:56:11 AM »

Do you mind me asking if this version of Our Sweet Love (with the revelatory Brian vocal) is included on a footwear release and if so which one (or ones) as I am curious.  Thanks in advance to those who are in the know for sharing their knowledge.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »

Do you mind me asking if this version of Our Sweet Love (with the revelatory Brian vocal) is included on a footwear release and if so which one (or ones) as I am curious.  Thanks in advance to those who are in the know for sharing their knowledge.

Haha, I had to think twice on what you meant by a footwear release, but you can find it on the 2CD version of 'From The Vaults' and 'Get the footwear Vol. 1'

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rH4NH6MW98

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2012, 12:31:22 PM »

Thanks Tansen and EgoHanger!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »

"Revelatory" was perhaps an imperfect choice of words, sarcasm not required. It's a very relaxed, assured, beautifully sung verse that hits a particularly sweet spot IMO, high in my personal pantheon of BB musical moments. I always add it now when I'm listening or singing along with the song.

Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »

Please Let Me Wonder backing vocals would be very much appreciated, for starters.

There's a PLMW take that has long circulated where Chuck Britz mixes down the instruments and lead vocal in the 2nd verse and chorus, which is one of the most spine-tingling moments available. A whole album of nothing but these kinds of mixes would not be too much IMO. I think it's still on youTube as "Amazing vocal session".

Daly, Chicago 1968
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »

There's a PLMW take that has long circulated where Chuck Britz mixes down the instruments and lead vocal in the 2nd verse and chorus, which is one of the most spine-tingling moments available. A whole album of nothing but these kinds of mixes would not be too much IMO. I think it's still on youTube as "Amazing vocal session".

That is the very audio clip which was a revelation for me many years ago, even in its primitive form. To be able to hear that in pristine quality would be a privilege.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx