-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:25:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Zeppo Wilson: The Beach Boy Time Forgot
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Zeppo Wilson: The Beach Boy Time Forgot  (Read 60310 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2016, 01:33:38 AM »

here is my copy of the ultra rare Zeppo Wilson 45.  Not many of these around. 

I had the picture disc. Damned if I know what I did with it. Maybe I left it in the pocket of my other suit. No! This is my other suit.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2016, 01:52:52 AM »

seriously?  Shocked  wow! I'd give my left testie for that. I've never come across that one in my collecting!
I'd love to get a hold of one of those. And I thought having 'summer in paradise' on vinyl was cool!.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2016, 02:08:05 AM »

seriously?  Shocked  wow! I'd give my left testie for that. I've never come across that one in my collecting!
I'd love to get a hold of one of those. And I thought having 'summer in paradise' on vinyl was cool!.
Give us a break, Rick!

We know you gave your leftie for the SIP vinyl; ya got nuthin', Bub!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2016, 02:29:08 AM »

Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2016, 02:34:42 AM »

I had the picture disc. Damned if I know what I did with it. Maybe I left it in the pocket of my other suit. No! This is my other suit.

Reading the small print, it looks like this was the Canadian release (or were all Zeppo's North American discs pressed in Canadia?). Did it come in a picture sleeve?

“We live in divisive times.”
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2016, 03:25:04 AM »

im just surprised nobody in the Brian camp has ever spoken about this release.  I know Brian has no memory of 'guess I'm dumb', around the same time.
this seems to be another release that's off the radar.  Surely someone in the Beach Boys world knows more about Zeppo and this 45.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2016, 09:44:20 AM »

I'm trying to remember (well, sort of trying...) where I read that after taking it on the lam to Hawaii (years before that copycat Steve Love would do the same), the most mysterious of all the Wilson brothers started a proto-surf punk band called Zeppo and the Short Hairs, with intermittent "help" from those two guys from the Turtles (Volman and Kaylen, who later became Flo & Eddie), getting a co-write on a song that Brian started to commemorate the BBs '67 Hawaii interlude, but subsequently abandoned. Naturally enough, it was entitled "Lei'd In Hawaii" (and featured bass vocals from brother Dennis, the man who really got "lei'd" in Hawaii)...

3D
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2016, 12:19:57 AM »

This is really intriguing!!  And since I posted the US Copy some months ago...I've been digging.

A friend who lives at the top of a Mountain in Sweden sent me a copy of what he claims to be the "withdrawn" Sleeve for
the Zeppo Wilson release in Sweden.  He couldn't provide scans of the record, as it also appears to have been cancelled. 

Here's the scan he sent of the sleeve:

And like many of the Euro releases, this seems to follow the serial number they used in the UK.   Could there be a UK release??

The mystery continues.

Dogbone
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2016, 12:28:29 AM »

oh my god!  I always wanted a copy of the original 'smile' 67 sleeve, but this truly must be rare as hens teeth.
I need this in my collection along with some 78 rpm records from argentina. Africa etc etc.
what a really neat item. your friend is a lucky 'son of a gun'.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:29:20 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2016, 07:55:14 AM »

The "Herbert" I do not use for a long time.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2016, 10:35:59 AM »

I myself have done some digging on Zeppo and found out something truly vicious!
When Brian decided to abandon stereo and go for mono masters starting with Beach Boys Today!, Zeppo blew a gasket. Capitol Records, while unhappy about this turn of events, agreed that they would respect Brian's artistic wishes, and not issue a Duophonic copy. Zeppo, determined to punish Brian, emerged at the  Capitol Tower offices with super-duper accountant Allan Klein and produced royalties withheld from the Beach Boys and threatened to show them to the rest of the band if Duophonic was not employed. Zeppo maliciously wanted to confuse Brian by forcing him to hear a weird double audio image in the Duophonic mixes. Capitol meekly acquiesced. When Capitol then switched from the delay effect of Duophonic to the less traumatizing (for Brian) bass-treble separation of fake stereo, Zeppo blew another gasket. He picked up Klein, and they presented the royalty statements to the Beach Boys. The result was the 1967 lawsuit. So yes, Zeppo did play a major role in derailing Smile.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:40:23 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »

Reading the small print, it looks like this was the Canadian release (or were all Zeppo's North American discs pressed in Canadia?). Did it come in a picture sleeve?
Never liked the font used on Capitol album labels in Canada. Singles I had no problem with.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »

Never liked the font used on Capitol album labels in Canada. Singles I had no problem with.

I find that font causes a subliminal bass undertone in the left channel or, if the speakers are incorrectly wired, the right channel.

“We live in divisive times.”
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2016, 01:22:30 AM »

under close inspection, that font doesn't really fit with the Canadian issues of the time, I'm starting to doubt whether or not that
this is a legit release or a B-Leg.  I bought it on the condition it was an original, but it sure could be a fake, I just don't have enough
info on it's release other than the copy I have.  The part of the label that says 'Zeppo Wilson' kind of looks like it's been photoshoped
and his name added over the top of it.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: