-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:26:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Zeppo Wilson: The Beach Boy Time Forgot
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Zeppo Wilson: The Beach Boy Time Forgot  (Read 60053 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »

* A disturbed Zeppo Wilson/Charles Manson duet of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" that Mr. Desper has briefly dismisses in his upcoming book as "intolerable despite the effective stereo panorama."
Manson/Zeppo tapes?  I think we all know there's more to that story.

And, yes...Shut Down Volume III better be on the flugkin box set!!! 

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »

Let's just hope "Burlesque," whenever Boyd finds it, is the version with Zeppo's lyrics.  And speaking of lyrics, is it true Zep was involved with Shapiro and Almer in the SOT rewrites?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2012, 04:17:22 PM »

Clearly I need to do additional research before getting back to you guys. The SOT rewrites particularly.

(Well, actually pretty busy the next few days with a jillion things slamming into Cinefamily - the Everything is Terrible fest, Cinematic Titanic/MST3Kers who helped out on my silly new movie out next week, etc etc etc. LA people, cinefamily.org and come on down! The schedule is nuts. Bound to be something you'll like!)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:24:39 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »

Figure 242. Zeppo unveils his treasure trove seconds before Alan Boyd screams, "you mean they aren't even in boxes?"

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT ON THE UPCOMING BOXED SET?

While looking for something he could sell for drug money, Zeppo's son recently discovered a box full of lost reference mixes, demos, acetates, and what could only be described as "assorted flotsam." After buying the box of priceless recordings back from his son, Zeppo worked closely with Alan Boyd to identify some of these thrilling and often annoying discoveries.

While a full accounting of "Zeppo's Box" will not be revealed until the October issue of MOJO, guys who like to hint about things other people don't know about on message boards have dropped the following hints:

* There are recordings
* They will be released in some fashion
* They sound amazing but I can't say anything more

While that's not much to go on, if you read between the lines you can clearly see that they are referring to items such as:

* Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, Zeppo Wilson & David Marks Of The Beach Boys
  Salute The Sizzler - demo recordings for a thankfully abandoned late 90s promotional album.

* "Please Mr. Postman" and "Walking The Dog" - Nov '67 Wild Honey sessions.

* A disturbed Zeppo Wilson/Charles Manson duet of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" that Mr. Desper has briefly dismisses in his upcoming book as "intolerable despite the effective stereo panorama."

* "The Bristol Stomp / Paint it Black" - "15 Big Ones" sessions, Mike Love lead vocals.

* "Lady California Calling My Feelings" - described by Zeppo as "something Jardine did when we weren't paying attention that somehow manages to sound like everything else he did when we weren't paying attention."

Hopefully he could drop a few more hints in this thread because reading between the lines makes you go blind.

It is with a great deal of sadness and a smidgeon of embarrassment that I must report that the material on these tapes will remain unheard.  The Zeppo Wilson reels were found to be dangerously radioactive, a likely result of high levels of psychic angst directed towards the tapes by Beach Boys fans desperate to hear unreleased material, according to Dr. Barovelli Theiceman of Huxley College.  As a result, the tapes were sealed in concrete and the blocks were slated to be sent to Phelp's department store for long-term storage.  Unfortunately, due to a clerical error, the concrete blocks were removed from the Capitol Records parking lot before they could be shipped and were subsequently pulverized, and the radioactive dust was utilized in the manufacture of official Beach Boys 50th Anniversary limited edition glow in the dark surfboards, which will be sold for $6,000 apiece in conjunction with the Beach Boys' upcoming 32 disc box set (scheduled for release after the congressional midterm elections in 2014). In place of the lost Zeppo masters Capitol plans to release a series of CDs with the missing songs performed by Andrew G. Doe, who heard the tunes once and kinda remembers how they went.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »

I've been following this thread with amusement, but that one just put it over the top. Had to chime in with  LOL

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »

Alan, you forget that Zeppo's preternaturally photographic memory has all of those tunes burned into his brain matter and even now is working from his jail cell with Phil Spector (remember, they're cell mates...) on their comeback record, "The Crack in the Wall of Sound." (Several of the more noxious tracks are intended for inclusion, along with some never-before-heard dolmen-like vocals recorded by Murry Wilson in the last months of his life--which, of course, represent an astonishing departure from his previous work.) Officials are doing everything they can to delay its release until after the Congressional Elections in 2014 and are apparently willing to litigate (using as many of Mike's lawyers as possible--who, after all, with all this newfound harmony, really need the billable hours...) all the way to the Supreme Court.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:52:00 PM by Don Malcolm » Logged
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2012, 09:10:42 PM »

Ok, you force to show some pics I was saving for a book...and some quotes.

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »

Figure 242. Zeppo unveils his treasure trove seconds before Alan Boyd screams, "you mean they aren't even in boxes?"

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT ON THE UPCOMING BOXED SET?

While looking for something he could sell for drug money, Zeppo's son recently discovered a box full of lost reference mixes, demos, acetates, and what could only be described as "assorted flotsam." After buying the box of priceless recordings back from his son, Zeppo worked closely with Alan Boyd to identify some of these thrilling and often annoying discoveries.

While a full accounting of "Zeppo's Box" will not be revealed until the October issue of MOJO, guys who like to hint about things other people don't know about on message boards have dropped the following hints:

* There are recordings
* They will be released in some fashion
* They sound amazing but I can't say anything more

While that's not much to go on, if you read between the lines you can clearly see that they are referring to items such as:

* Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, Zeppo Wilson & David Marks Of The Beach Boys
  Salute The Sizzler - demo recordings for a thankfully abandoned late 90s promotional album.

* "Please Mr. Postman" and "Walking The Dog" - Nov '67 Wild Honey sessions.

* "The Bristol Stomp / Paint it Black" - "15 Big Ones" sessions, Mike Love lead vocals.

* "Lady California Calling My Feelings" - described by Zeppo as "something Jardine did when we weren't paying attention that somehow manages to sound like everything else he did when we weren't paying attention."

Hopefully he could drop a few more hints in this thread because reading between the lines makes you go blind.

It is with a great deal of sadness and a smidgeon of embarrassment that I must report that the material on these tapes will remain unheard.  The Zeppo Wilson reels were found to be dangerously radioactive, a likely result of high levels of psychic angst directed towards the tapes by Beach Boys fans desperate to hear unreleased material, according to Dr. Barovelli Theiceman of Huxley College.  As a result, the tapes were sealed in concrete and the blocks were slated to be sent to Phelp's department store for long-term storage.  Unfortunately, due to a clerical error, the concrete blocks were removed from the Capitol Records parking lot before they could be shipped and were subsequently pulverized, and the radioactive dust was utilized in the manufacture of official Beach Boys 50th Anniversary limited edition glow in the dark surfboards, which will be sold for $6,000 apiece in conjunction with the Beach Boys' upcoming 32 disc box set (scheduled for release after the congressional midterm elections in 2014). In place of the lost Zeppo masters Capitol plans to release a series of CDs with the missing songs performed by Andrew G. Doe, who heard the tunes once and kinda remembers how they went.

Alan, PLEASE tell me that you and Mark have come across the Big Band/Punk Rock LP that Zeppo and Brian were putting together in 1977 called LOST CHILD. It was suppose to come out (I think) in the Fall. I know the other guys weren't too crazy about, thinking it was more a Wilson Brothers solo LP (and they thought 2 multi-millionaires putting out a punk LP wasn't legit). But I would love to hear some of it. The only track I have heard is the Big Band/Punk opening track arranged by Dick Reynolds and Johnny Rotten called "Life Is For The Living, Muther-****ers!" I really liked it. Oh, and that song about coke on side 2 "Snorting Lines". That was a black humor track, but I still thought it was tacky of Zeppo to write such song, given what Brian had been through.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:21:26 PM by petsite » Logged
Jez Graham
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2012, 11:44:57 AM »

This is one of the greatest threads I have ever read, Kudos and thanks to all and a special thank you to Alan Boyd for mentioning the great Phelps Dept. Store which is a place that has given me so many happy memories,

Jezzo

Jez
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »

I came across a demo tape of Harpo singing a capella. But as it turns out, the $3,000 that I bought it for was a waste, because I can't hear anything.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »

Murry, their hard driving manager, was also known as Murry Palmer.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »

I heard it's actually Zeppo chewing celery and carrots on "Vegetables"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »

In an attempt to save the band, Zeppo came up with the idea of wearing short shorts on stage. When everyone protested, he promised to give them $1000 per hour if they wore them. Because everyone wouldn't cooperate Zeppo doubled the amount. To this day Bruce continues to wear shorts while Zeppo scribbles checks to him every hour. At this hour Zeppo has written a total of 555,555,555,555,555 checks for Bruce.

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »

Dennis' boat, The Harmony, became the property of Zeppo's after it was repossessed. Before steering the boat to his own slip, Zeppo angrily tossed a lot of Dennis' personal belongings from The Harmony into the water. It's thought that Zeppo's claiming of Dennis' prized boat and throwing his stuff into the ocean was out of revenge for Dennis hooking up with Shawn Wilson, Mike Love's daughter. Zeppo had proposed to her in 1979 and even bought her the Bellagio house that Brian had lived in up until recently. She stole his XKE, made off with $5,237,006 in cash and left him for Dennis.

To this day, Zeppo feels guilty about Dennis' death. "Dammit, if I'd never tossed all his stuff overboard, he would've never gone down there to look for them..." Whenever the band plays 'Forever', complete with the video of Dennis behind them, Zeppo cries. Al Jardine always tells him to "cool it, Zep."

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2012, 11:51:46 PM »

(cackles from his secret lair, screeching FLY, MONKEYS, FLY!)

To think there was a moment where I almost didn't make that first post, thinking: Naw, too silly.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2012, 01:43:36 AM »

This is, without a doubt, the single greatest thread or post ever made out of every message board, website or blog about the beach boys in the history of the internet. Something this beautifully brilliant should not even exist.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2012, 04:13:14 AM »

I feel let down and ripped off by Jon Stebbins after reading this thread. David Marks 'The Lost Beach Boy' my ass! Stebbins took the easy option instead of having to do some real detective work and track down Zeppo. 

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »

I recall reading about a certain "zeppo" being somehow left out or only seen on the periphery of his brothers act but for as long as I have been a diehard BeachBoys fan, I never realized this "zeppo"  was one of the Wilson brothers. I now  know that this business of only some of the BeachBoys being in the touring band has gone on from the very beginning.
Now we don't know what is truth, and what was fabricated.   We have relied  on poorly researched bios and heresay.

What next?

Do we learn that Zeppo was among those who co-wrote Sail on Sailor?
Did Zeppo vote with or against Mike in BRI decisions?
With his undue behind the scenes influence, was he responsible for such atrocities as Hey Little tomboy?
Was he Audree's favorite?
How did he wield such power yet remain almost totally unknown to the public, even to crazed fans trolling the internet?
I think it is time for the surviving band members to come forward and tell the whole story.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »

Wait.  Has all of the "Salute the Sizzler" material been lost?  Something HAD to leak out.

We may never hear the "Manson/Zeppo" tapes -- I accept that.  But, there were far too many people involved -- and too much riding on the "Sizzler Sessions" for it to be wiped from history.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
John Lennon (interview from 1980)-"when me pal Paul died in a car accident in 1966 we were looking for someone to take his place,there was this chap that was with the beach boys,I think his name was zippy or something like that,he seemed to be on the outskirts of their band and was only around them once in awhile,anyways,with peace and love me and George met up with this zippy guy and asked him if he could join us in order to give us some insight on how to record better music,he seemed like a total git,he came by and was bossing us around,we managed to record a couple songs with him and it was just bloody awful,the music he did was nothing but noise and screaming,it made my bloody ears bleed,thank the gods above I never went down that route with me music,to make a long story short,we couldnt' stand it no more,he was bringing in this crazy lady who he called Harpo,he claimed it was his sister,she played on "She's leaving home", after a few days she became unbareable because all she did was sit there and she never said a bloody word, so we fired zippy,he didn't care too much,he just left and said something about how he was going back to the beach boys to do music that would make us smile and ruin our carrers so that no one would buy our stuff and we would become reclusive, he was out to get us. We finaly found a nice chap named Billy Shears to take his place,but those few days with him was sure a bloddy drag,last thing I heard he was hanging out with some high class hollywood shrink trying to write songs with him and Brian Wilson,oh bloody hell!!!"
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2012, 02:26:23 PM »

Was he Audree's favorite?

No, Manfred Wilson was actually Audree's favorite, but he died in infancy. Audree then transferred all her love to Brian, the eldest surviving brother.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »

There was a little-known instance in 1964 when the Beach Boys were on tour in the midwest, and Brian suffered an acute attack of appendicitis necessitating emergency surgery and a brief hospital stay.  Zeppo, who traveled with the band but generally refused to show his face onstage, was persuaded to fill in for Brian.... and no one in the audiences ever noticed the difference.  Apparently, Zeppo also fooled Alan Jardine, who to this day swears this never happened.  "No one can tell me that wasn't Brian standing next to me singing 'Everyone Says I Love You' night after night on that tour.  God, I loved that song. The Three Stooges once sang it in a movie."

Zeppo had an amazing ability to imitate each of his brothers' stage presences & mannerisms (sometimes resorting to subtle disguises when necessary) and an intimate, pitch-perfect knowledge of each vocal part. One even lesser-known instance than the example cited above was a show during MLs fasting/gourd/hallucination episode ('69?) when an urgent call was made by Brian for Zeppo to fly back from a Catskills vacation and fill in for the Lovester on extremely short notice. He hopped on a plane and made it onstage in the nick of time, taking a moderate dose of a specially formulated herbal mixture hastily concocted to augment the nasality of his voice, and proceeded to ham it up admirably in a Carnaby Street custom-tailored quasi-guru outfit 2 sizes too large, emitting booming bass notes and cracking corny jokes so cringe-inducing that the audience was alternately groaning, giggling uneasily and dry-heaving, a preternaturally intuitive, seamless impersonation that led Dennis to once comment offhandedly in later years: "Zeppo made the real Mike stink, that's how good he was". Shocked
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:59:31 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2012, 10:09:03 PM »

(BTW, didn't intend for that last to be gratuitously anti-ML. Considered other band members, but he seemed like the easiest to caricature).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:10:08 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »

(BTW, didn't intend for that last to be gratuitously anti-ML. Considered other band members, but he seemed like the easiest to caricature).

Go easy on the Lovester...the Curse of Kokomo is hanging heavy on him right now. He is the last of the four left, y'know.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2012, 03:05:38 AM »

Ok, I have a confession to make. I have known this secret for quite some time now, and I think it's time for the truth to come out. Audree once confessed to me that Murry was not the bilogical father of the three Wilson's. It was actually Lou Levy. Shocked

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: