-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:03:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Zeppo Wilson: The Beach Boy Time Forgot
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Zeppo Wilson: The Beach Boy Time Forgot  (Read 60064 times)
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 07:03:56 AM »

Many people go through their whole lives without Thursdays like that. You should be proud.

By the way, I'm convinced it's actually Zeppo who says "good" on With Me Tonight. When he approved, the boys knew it's the take.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 07:27:58 AM »

There was a little-known instance in 1964 when the Beach Boys were on tour in the midwest, and Brian suffered an acute attack of appendicitis necessitating emergency surgery and a brief hospital stay.  Zeppo, who traveled with the band but generally refused to show his face onstage, was persuaded to fill in for Brian.... and no one in the audiences ever noticed the difference.  Apparently, Zeppo also fooled Alan Jardine, who to this day swears this never happened.  "No one can tell me that wasn't Brian standing next to me singing 'Everyone Says I Love You' night after night on that tour.  God, I loved that song. The Three Stooges once sang it in a movie."
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 08:11:09 AM »

Welcome back, Mr. Boyd! Hope you're feeling well these days and thanks for the laugh.

If Brian is hot about covering "Honeycomb", I think "Everyone Says 'I Love You'" could be make a decent Beach Boys cover as well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:18:46 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 08:13:15 AM »

Urban legend posits that the Beach Boys acquired their name after a Candix records employee with the improbable and most likely illegal name "Russ Regan" took it upon himself to rename the fledgling "Pendletones," and thus was born a legend. An urban legend, of course -- the real story is that Zeppo was tasked with coming up with the perfect name. He spent nearly twelve minutes doing so, in an incredible bit of ephemera which we're pleased to publish here for the first time:

Figure 4967. Zeppo's original handwritten potential band name list.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:17:30 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 09:57:16 AM »

To preserve historical accuracy for future generations, might I add that the full proposed Zeppo name was actually "Fantasy Mike and His Amazing Beach Boys".  Candix were all for the name until someone pointed out to them which one was Fantasy Mike.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »

"The Crab Boys" might work for somebody. Awfully Burroughsian.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »

Shocked   Woah!!! I never knew this stuff!!!  Hopefully Zeppo reads this board....

Dear Zeppo,

• Why did Brian quit touring in 64?
  • Was Glenn Campbell really a Beach Boy?
  • What caused the collapse of SMiLE?
  • What made Brian finally agree to finish it in 2004?
  • What was Brian up to during the 70s and early 80s?
  • Was there going to be a Shut Down Volume 3?
  • And..what's in the 50th Anniversary Box Set!!??

Your Friend,
Harold Bean Bag
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:54:35 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »

It just so happens I have pertinent notes concerning those subjects around here somewhere...

(rummaging sounds)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »

Also, Zep - can you explicate the following verse from "Beatrice From Baltimore" -

She got the clap not the heppo
She do the bump with ol' Zeppo
Pulls his strings like Geppetto
Drinks absinthe and Amaretto
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »

I just reread all this. Apparently I had a very strange Thursday.

And an even stranger Friday
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 01:05:37 PM »

What caused the collapse of Smile? Are we any closer to a definitive answer?

The above still captures the upswing of Smile's brutally bipolar pendulum -- a moment of silly tomfoolery in the studio with Brian, Van Dyke, and Zeppo. But would they be smiling long?

DAVID ANDERLE: "Brian was always so full of enthusiasm when he'd play these acetates for me. Initially, anyway. They'd spin around and the most heavenly, groovy music imaginable would be spilling out into my ears... bliss! Exquisite! I'd look at Brian, who would be lost in thought. What? 'Zeppo doesn't like it,' he'd sigh, staring out of the window. Zeppo doesn't like it. I'd hear that phrase for months as Brian kept rerecording Heroes and Villains to please Zeppo. 'Not enough glockenspiel,' he would sniff."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:29:50 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »

TRANSCRIPT FROM A RARE ZEPPO WILSON PRESS CONFERENCE

Figure 34535. Zeppo holds court with members of the dreaded "Fourth Estate"

Q. Why did Brian quit touring in 64?

A. Why don't I like your face? You should go ask Brian that. Maybe you'll get a different answer this week. He just couldn't take the pressure, put him in the cooker and he goes soft. Well, usually we all go a little soft in the cooker, but he was softer than most. "Sensitive," Mom would call him. [Indecipherable] Besides, some people thought Glenn Campbell was Brian Wilson anyway, so we figured... get Glenn Campbell.

Q. Was Glenn Campbell really a Beach Boy?

A. Cousin Mike likes to say stupid stuff like "Being a Beach Boy is a state of mind" in interviews. I like to say, being a voting member of this organization makes you a Beach Boy. So, no. If he's a Beach Boy, then Elliot Gould is a Beach Boy. Let me remind you, my friends... Elliot Gould is no Beach Boy.

Q. What made Brian finally agree to finish Smile in 2004?

A. Why would you ask me that? Am I literally my brother's keeper? I had nothing to do with that except as sort of a benign presence, a phantom spectre, a gray ghost in the room. I told him to do the pirate, tho. Pirates were big that year, people like them.

Figure 90784. Zeppo applies a keen editorial eye to Van Dyke's word salad.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:30:25 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »

Is there any truth to the rumor that Zeppo is currently Phil Spector's cellmate?? Or is that just more Keith Badman BS??
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »

Figure 3463. Rejected Shut Down Volume 3 album cover art.

Beach Boys history is littered with apparently several hundred unreleased albums in various stages of completion and decomposition. One of the more tantalizing of these "almost albums" was the unimaginatively titled Shut Down Volume 3.

NICK VENET: "The hammer came down when Zeppo got a load of the track listing. THREE Chuck Berry covers was two too many. It's a good thing he was in prison, right? On top of that,  Zeppo said that the mocked-up cover art 'looked like somebody just added me onto a preexisting photograph.' So we shelved it, hoping he'd be out of the band soon enough anyway."

Proposed track listing:

Somethin Else
Yes, We Have No Bananas (In Our Car)
Tell Me About Your Carburetor
Motorin' Monkey Doodle-doo
Route 66 Theme
You Can't Catch Me
Baby Loves My Coupe
Denny in the Passing Lane
Rocket "88"/ Maybellene Medley
Mike Love's Last Race
Hot Rod Highway
Oh! Oh! Get Out of the Car

The conceit of the album is that it's recorded at a hot rod rally hosted by Mike Love that gets busted by the police at the end of the album, so there are inane short links between tracks featuring Mike Love speaking over a megaphone and doing exactly what you'd expect. Brian Wilson was very excited about his plan to include a locked groove at the end of the album, leaving an ear-piercing police siren looping until the listener got up and took the record off. When he brought it up, Al Jardine reportedly said, and I quote: "Uh."

"Hot Rod Highway" is a barely-rewritten "No-Go Showboat." "Baby Loves My Coupe" is as boring as it sounds, but if you turn up the volume as it ends, you can catch a hilarious piece of studio chatter as Zeppo pans the track as "smelling like hot garbage." As usual, there were several "filler" tracks: Dennis Wilson's disarmingly demented drum solo on "Denny in the Passing Lane" made Maureen Tucker sound like Buddy Rich, whatever that means. An incredibly surreal confection, "Mike Love's Last Race" combines a chugging Carl-driven guitar twang backing with an echo-drenched Mike Love describing time stopping before his death in a terrible car accident, his entire life flashing before his eyes. The morbid humor of this track doesn't date well, but here's to hoping the upcoming boxed set includes it to please the Pitchfork crowd.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:13:52 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 03:42:15 PM »

OMG, Zeppo is even tinier than...than...AL!!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »

They didn't have Photoshop in those days, so darkroom fakery was pretty primitive.

He also has terrible posture.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:46:57 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 04:13:40 PM »

Actually, Zep looks a helluva lot more like a "man waiting for a bus" in this photo than Al EVER did....
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »

Have I gone too far in mainlining so much Zeppo, or does that actually sound like a fine album?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:24:06 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »

It was really great until you start inserting all those G-D "link tracks" into it. That theory was debunked years ago!

It's clear that this is some overly clever vault looter at work--which makes me wonder (please...) if it was Zep who, in a fit of pique, leaked all the Capitol stuff to the Sea o' Tunes folks....
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »

There was another Wilson. Unfortunately we don't know anything about him because he died at birth. Also, it was Mike Love's sister, Harpo Love that played the harp on Catch a Wave. But she never said anything.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »

Figure 242. Zeppo unveils his treasure trove seconds before Alan Boyd screams, "you mean they aren't even in boxes?"

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT ON THE UPCOMING BOXED SET?

While looking for something he could sell for drug money, Zeppo's son recently discovered a box full of lost reference mixes, demos, acetates, and what could only be described as "assorted flotsam." After buying the box of priceless recordings back from his son, Zeppo worked closely with Alan Boyd to identify some of these thrilling and often annoying discoveries.

While a full accounting of "Zeppo's Box" will not be revealed until the October issue of MOJO, guys who like to hint about things other people don't know about on message boards have dropped the following hints:

* There are recordings
* They will be released in some fashion
* They sound amazing but I can't say anything more

While that's not much to go on, if you read between the lines you can clearly see that they are referring to items such as:

* Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, Zeppo Wilson & David Marks Of The Beach Boys
  Salute Sizzler - demo recordings for a thankfully abandoned late 90s promotional album.

* "Please Mr. Postman" and "Walking The Dog" - Nov '67 Wild Honey sessions.

* A disturbed Zeppo Wilson/Charles Manson duet of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" that Mr. Desper briefly dismisses in his upcoming book as "intolerable despite the effective stereo panorama."

* "The Bristol Stomp / Paint it Black" - "15 Big Ones" sessions, Mike Love lead vocals.

* "Lady California Calling My Feelings" - described by Zeppo as "something Jardine did when we weren't paying attention that somehow manages to sound like everything else he did when we weren't paying attention."

Hopefully he could drop a few more hints in this thread because reading between the lines makes you go blind.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:20:54 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »

The only bummer here is I can't share this funniest thing ever with anyone I know in my day-to-day life.

By the way, could even Zeppo explain away SIP and Stars & Stripes vol 1? Doubt it.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »

This is all fascinating stuff and solves quite a few Beach Boy puzzles.

First, I notice that Zeppo's handwriting from the band name checklist is the same as that on the proposed list of track names for the anticipated SMiLE album that was used for the printed sleeves. Zeppo was clearly involved in the whole planning process.

Similarly, the written titles on the tape boxes shown in Zeppo's private vault collection - the plausiible source of the Sea Of Tunes boots here - are pretty obviously in his hand. How could we have missed this?

Next, will we now see a timely first release of the abandoned Remember The Zeppo album in the next wave of discs from Capitol? Mono or stereo is not important, but this release might just help set the record straight. AGD and Phil - any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:55:12 PM by TopCat » Logged
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »

I heard that Brian Wilson wrote 'Til I Die' after Zeppo tacked an ordered list of his favorite Beach Boys to the door of Gold Star Recording Studios. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »

Perhaps there's a kink my internet cable...but this is making A LOT of sense to me.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: