gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:47:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Off topic but important: Attempts at hacking accounts  (Read 4928 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2012, 06:25:39 AM »

I just got an email from this board saying I'd requested a new password, which I haven't. The IP address associated with the request is based in Khabarovsk in the Russian Federation. That suggests to me that this board is being targeted by Russian criminals, either to harvest passwords in case we use them for other sites, or to spam the board directly.

I'd suggest, to be on the safe side, that if people are using passwords that are associated with other, more important, accounts, they should change them to something less important, just in case...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »

I just got an email from this board saying I'd requested a new password, which I haven't. The IP address associated with the request is based in Khabarovsk in the Russian Federation. That suggests to me that this board is being targeted by Russian criminals, either to harvest passwords in case we use them for other sites, or to spam the board directly.

I'd suggest, to be on the safe side, that if people are using passwords that are associated with other, more important, accounts, they should change them to something less important, just in case...
Thanks for the warning! I will immediately change my password from surfersrule56 to b3achb0ll then. I hope that will help.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:53:07 AM »

I got an email like this too, yesterday. There is a rash of these types of scams going around. If it's the same kind of thing that went around at a professional networking site I'm a member of, they're trying to find active email accounts to spread bots and spam from your email address.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 02:42:14 AM »

shoot crazy frog with shootgun on alldumb.com

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »

Yeah I've gotten at least two or three of these emails recently.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »

I observe that all three of you list your email address publicly on your profile. That is a big Internet no-no and could well be the source of the issue.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:29:32 PM by ivy » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »

Hm, could be. I was 18 when I registered for this board (god, 7 years ago) and it didn't really occur to me that it was a big deal. I just made it private (I think).

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 07:34:52 PM »

I observe that all three of you list your email address publicly on your profile. That is a big Internet no-no and could well be the source of the issue.

I get spam all the time. My inbox is beyond cluttered. I don't tend to use it often, though, so I don't really care. I don't open anything unless it's from someone I know personally, I've been in contact with them recently, and it doesn't have the title "butts that look awesome."

I shall be removing it from my profile, though. No idear how that got there (I don't know why I'd put it there), so yeah.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx