gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:37:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Surfs Up have been the Greatest?  (Read 41377 times)
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2012, 05:51:10 AM »

SDT is corny, but it's also catchy and kinda enjoyable.  I don't mind the lyrics--my interpretation is basically "things are pretty screwed up, but rioting just makes it worse,' which is fine--not as eloquent as "Revolution," but not offensive either. 

I think that "Don't Go Near the Water" sucks, though.  Very corny, cloying song, with sometimes baffling lyrics (the water is polluted because of toothpaste?)  It's the kind of thing that gives a bad name to eco-protest songs, which is too bad. 

"Take a Load off Your Feet" is also a bit irritating, and not the strongest musically, but ultimately, it has a kind of eccentric feel that redeems it. 

The rest of the album pretty much rules, though, including "Disney Girls" (frankly, I think that Disney Girls is the third-best song on the album, after Surf's Up and Till I Die!)  If some of the songs above, especially DGNTW, could be replaced by Dennis tracks, it would be a great album, though not as great as PS. 

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2012, 07:02:32 AM »

Brian Wilson - responsible creatively for gems such as Today! Summer Days, Pet Sounds and the SMiLE music.

Mike Love - responsible creatively for stinkers like Summer In Paradise. UGH.

A little too simplistic. It'd be like if I faulted Brian for creating "Smart Girls" and claimed Mike was superior for having written the basis of "All I Wanna Do" or something.

Granted Brian is obviously the better (but then he is Brian frigging Wilson, generally regarded as one of the best pop songwriters ever), but still.

Well, it was a generalization. Yes, Mike has created some lovely things, Brian some crappy things. It's interesting to note that even on some of Brian's worst solo recordings, there's always something cool and interesting in there. I have no frame of reference for Mike's solo work since I've never heard any, but typically when he was in control musically on things (that I know of) tend to be pretty crappy. I don't know why, but sometime after Holland, Mike stopped writing great songs for the most part, though his tunes on TWGMTR are pretty good. It's strange that he went from something like 'Big Sur' and, with Dennis, 'Only With You', both great, to stuff like 'Everyone's In Love With You' and much of the terrible MIU album.

Hey, isn't 'Brian's Back' a solo recording? I hate that song.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:05:23 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2012, 07:19:45 AM »

You should listen to Country Love. You may never (Mike) love again

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2012, 07:34:55 AM »

And also, even though I love SDT, it could've more of a single (which it was I think?) and not included on an album. If they were to have released Surfs up with the eary track listings before the changes, then it would've been more great and SDT somewhat brings the album down.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:47:36 AM by EthanJClarke » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »

And also, even though I love SDT, it could've more of a single (which it was I think?) and not included on an album. If they were to have released Surfs up with the eary track listings before the changes, then it would've been more great and SDT somewhat brings the album down.

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing your claim from youtube that your sequence "is believed to be approximately as follows:"?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2012, 09:57:16 AM »

If they had just left the original lyrics in (Riot in Cellblock 9) the song would have been a brilliant cover - but the greed for publishing pushed Mike to rewrite the lyrics and I think ruin the song.  Of course they started covering the original in concert before Mike came up with the student demonstration idea - although it may have been Jack's idea in his push to make the beach boys more relevant.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »

If they had just left the original lyrics in (Riot in Cellblock 9) the song would have been a brilliant cover - but the greed for publishing pushed Mike to rewrite the lyrics and I think ruin the song.  Of course they started covering the original in concert before Mike came up with the student demonstration idea - although it may have been Jack's idea in his push to make the beach boys more relevant.

Nah, a Leiber-Stoller cover would cause just as much negative reaction in the middle of a totally original, no-covers album. And it would still sound abrasive.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2012, 10:07:56 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing your claim from youtube that your sequence "is believed to be approximately as follows:"?
Yep Tongue based off the orignal track listings I've seen on wikipedia
remy13127
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2012, 11:20:18 AM »

"It's like different eras of Mike I like over others. I'd much prefer to hang out with epic beard and stupid hats 1971 Mike than 1976 gold lame, rings and a frickin' turbin Mike Love."

True.  I think SDT is the weakest track on the album, but this is a strong album and and I wouldn't remove any track; I would add WIBNTLA and 4th of July, however.

You're right, there is nothing to remove. Is "Sound of free" a part of the Surf's Up sessions & could it be on the album ? Here is a list of the songs that can be on "Surf's Up" :
*Don't Go Near the Water (If you consider that "Surf's Up" is a production album, so DGNTW is a perfect intro)
*Long Promised Road (great tune, nothing much to say)
*Take a Load Off Your Feet (good song, ok)
*Disney Girls (1957) (classic)
*Student Demonstration Time (the rock tune in a cool & almost gentle album. It souldn't be between DG & FF but it's ok)
*Feel Flows (what a magnificent production and song...)
*Lookin' at Tomorrow (A Welfare Song) (it's for me the weakest track musically on the album... well, next !)
*A Day in the Life of a Tree (sad & atmospheric, classic ! [great coda])
*Til I Die (beautiful & classic [great coda too])
*Surf's Up (something that everybody must have listened before dying [third great coda what a side !])
*4th Of July (again, a beautiful track)
*Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again (never heard this but I would die to hear a preview !)

Nearly all these songs are great. That's why their order is decisive. Here is my proposal :
1)DGNTW
2)LPR
3)TALOYF
4)SDT
5)LAT
6)DG

2nde side :
1) Feel Flows
2)4th of july
3)ADITLOAT
4) 'Til I die
5)Surf's Up

depressive uh ?

I cannot put WIBNTLA because as I said earlier I've never listened to the song.

Here is my vision of a best Surf's Up !
dharmasong
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2012, 04:10:18 PM »

I don't think I was being fair before by trivializing the argument so much. I just don't think it's a very a productive line of discussion.

Some members here insist on framing the conversation in an absurdly reductionist way, either you like the Beach Boys or you don't. Period. You either admit that the Student Demonstration Time lyrics are good or you admit that all the other lyrics Mike wrote are bad. You accept everything The Beach Boys give to you as presented, or you're an irresponsible fan.

The Beach Boys are not this infinitesimally small, irreducibly dimensionless point. The Beach Boys are a dynamic constellation of hundreds of songs, dozens of personalities, and fifty years of history.

Saying, "I like the lyrics on Good Vibrations, but I don't care for Mike Love's attitude and personality" is not a self-defeating or contradictory statement. Likewise disliking Student Demonstration Time does not commit anyone to a general dislike or hatred of Mike Love as a human being.

It's not this either or choice, it's criticism. It's a judgement based on individual taste and general aesthetic preference. Some people might prefer Mike's lighter fare, some might enjoy the self-serious Rieley lyrics, some might enjoy both depending on their mood that day. These are critical and subjective judgements, and a judgement passed on one song, on one album, can not be seamlessly extrapolated by reductionist logic into a moral condemnation of the guy who diddled out the crappy lyrics on a napkin while eating lunch.

Well, I'm being told to cut the crap and accept SDT as a fail and I simply refuse to do so. And I'm sorry, but the criticisms of the track don't even make any sense. All we keep hearing is how, in this opinion or that opinion, is how bad the lyrics are how it, just, ya know is soooooooooo obviously a pathetic grab at being hip. Others can demonstrate with logic how the lyrics in question really don't support these assertions and a dialogue can't even be achieved because someone else just pops up stating the same tired thing. You are correct in what you wrote about criticism and opinion, but when it comes of SDT (and Mike in general) there's this holier than thou attitude that calling something lame is in irrefutable fact. This is what gets annoying. And this B.S about oh, Big Sur should have been on Surf's Up just reeks of a backhanded compliment. I mean, is there a more perfect place for that song than on Holland where it opens up, of all things, California Saga? The Beach Boys were not morons and SDT wasn't included on Surf's Up just because Mike's feelings would get hurt if it wasn't.... It's easy to bash SDT because it's Mike (and I don't buy criticizing it for any other reason) but to me, Neil Young sounds just as desperate to be hip with Ohio, as do Joni Mitchell or CSN with Woodstock. Those two songs make me want to vomit. Now, Southern Man, on the other hand is completely incendiary. Then again, the players on that track really bring it, whereas Ohio doesn't have the same power (Neil has stated that drummer on Ohio Dallas Taylor would purposefully play badly on his songs). Point I'm trying to make is that a song  can be imperfect from a compositional/lyrical standpoint but can achieve greatness through the sheer physicality and visceral qualities of it's recording..... I think this is a valid point but I'm sure this will be followed up by someone just going..... "Uh, yeah, but you're wrong, SDT sucks"

Hate is a choice.  Saying 'so and so sucks' is a choice.  In a real sense, it's libel however easy to get away with.  Saying 'so and so sucks' is not a criticism.  Saying 'I don't like SDT and here's why... [logic given] 'is' criticism.  Saying 'I don't like SDT and here's why...  'the-guy-who-wrote-lyrics sucks'?  Not criticism.

You can go on attempting a defense of these words of yours but you haven't evidenced any *criticism*.  Your intent is clearly to disparage an individual.  It's somewhat easy to prove since the board hasn't erased your posts, have they?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2012, 03:37:48 AM »

I'd love a instrumental mix of that song for a new boxset. The track is incredibly dense.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2012, 04:41:42 AM »

I don't think I was being fair before by trivializing the argument so much. I just don't think it's a very a productive line of discussion.

Some members here insist on framing the conversation in an absurdly reductionist way, either you like the Beach Boys or you don't. Period. You either admit that the Student Demonstration Time lyrics are good or you admit that all the other lyrics Mike wrote are bad. You accept everything The Beach Boys give to you as presented, or you're an irresponsible fan.

The Beach Boys are not this infinitesimally small, irreducibly dimensionless point. The Beach Boys are a dynamic constellation of hundreds of songs, dozens of personalities, and fifty years of history.

Saying, "I like the lyrics on Good Vibrations, but I don't care for Mike Love's attitude and personality" is not a self-defeating or contradictory statement. Likewise disliking Student Demonstration Time does not commit anyone to a general dislike or hatred of Mike Love as a human being.

It's not this either or choice, it's criticism. It's a judgement based on individual taste and general aesthetic preference. Some people might prefer Mike's lighter fare, some might enjoy the self-serious Rieley lyrics, some might enjoy both depending on their mood that day. These are critical and subjective judgements, and a judgement passed on one song, on one album, can not be seamlessly extrapolated by reductionist logic into a moral condemnation of the guy who diddled out the crappy lyrics on a napkin while eating lunch.

Fishmonk - I agree with the great capture of the Boys career overview, and the dynamism and constellation of work.  I feel pretty much the same.  Having been in college (a sophomore) at the time of its' release, STD struck a chord (pun intended) with me.  But I d disagree with your take on Mike and here's why.  His fellow bandmate/cousin was at the center of a maelstrom, with his CO (conscientious objector) status.  First, It was considered un-American, not to serve when called up, especially as a baby boomer.  Second, type of harsh tune that STD lyrics were drafted to was not the style per se, of the BB's.  Third, they were playing colleges and universities and could not be unaffected by what they saw, the killings of demonstrators at Kent State, and the unpopularity of America as they toured worldwide. 

And, I think it was responsive to a social situation that required at least some input/statement from America's Band.  The napkin back should not be so quickly denigrated.  I once bought a house at a wedding, with the agreement done on a napkin.  Had I waited for paper, the house would have been gone.  Had Mike waited for paper, his thoughts might have been gone as well.  I think that those who were on college campuses at the time with the daily disruptions and high police visibility might agree. It was awful. 

The inspiration for the lyrics came to him, and he wrote on what was available.  Those are indicia of the spontaneity of his craft. Finally, I have gotten to observe Mike more closely as he developed the Touring Band and find his way without the rest of his bandmates.  I have real respect for his work ethic, his ability to be the front man, and lead singer, and put on a show that is not solely for his contemporaries but one that is bringing in continuing generations. 

You are within your rights to dislike anyone personally but, at least give him his due.  Please.  Kiss
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2012, 04:48:39 AM »

I Decided to post the video on my Imageshack, there two parts:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5839/tiynxktmhmqffldkwtiqul.mp4
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/9493/ynidqipgzrhnnoivpcnvvn.mp4
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2013, 08:03:51 AM »

Since we're now hearing WIBNTLA (finally), this thread should be used.
My personal Surfs Up track listing as of right now:
Side A
1 Surf's Up
2 Looking at Tomorrow
3 Feel Flows
4 Disney Girls
5 4th Of July

Side B
6 Sound of Free
7 Don't Go Near The Water
8 A Day In The Life Of A Tree
9 'Til I Die (Rab's mix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS34TZR3SNY)
10 Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

I'm liking this right now. I love the way each track follows the last with this one.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:06:46 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »

Here's my personal fantasy alternate album. It should be noted that in this alternate universe, Sunflower was finished in February-ish 1970 and therefore did not include It's About Time or Cool Cool Water (the later of which was on Wild Honey in its early version!). Also, this alternate universe assumes that Smile was finished and released in 1967 and therefore Surf's Up is not on this album (and the album is, therefore, not called Surf's Up).

I have used as my main criterion for possible inclusion only tracks that were started and finished between July 1970 and July 1971, using AGD's site as my source for these recording dates.

1)   Sound of Free
2)   Long Promised Road
3)   It’s About Time
4)   Disney Girls (1957)
5)   Big Sur
6)   Feel Flows
7)   Barbara
Cool   Lookin’ at Tomorrow
9)   Don’t Go Near the Water
10)   A Day in the Life of a Tree
11)    ‘Til I Die
12)    (Wouldn’t It Be Nice to) Live Again

I personally find "4th of July" overrated and feel it suffers from the same lyrical problems that, as others have pointed out, "Long Promised Road," "Feel Flows," and some other Rieley lyrics have. However, I find those two to be musically more interesting, comparatively, than 4th of July (albeit more than a little ponderous themselves), so I have chosen them over 4th of July. "Lady," although an exemplary track, properly belongs to the Sunflower era. People also forget that the demo of Barbara was recorded during the Surf's Up era as well (unless AGD's site means this to be the instrumental version I have heard on bootlegs), so I have included it as well. I think it could have been released just as is.

Also note that I have tied a few songs together thematically. The first three songs have a "personal redemption" or "emancipation" theme. Then there is the two-song ecological duo of Don't Go Near the Water and the more metaphorical "A Day in the Life of a Tree" (which still segues perfectly into "'Til I Die"). In the absence of "Surf's Up," "(Wouldn't It Be Nice to) Live Again" does make an excellent album closer (and a redemptive "answer" to "'Til I Die), judging from Adam's cover version (I'm holding out on listening to the real thing till I get my MIC). I contemplated ending the album with "'Til I Die," obviously the masterpiece of the whole album in the absence of "Surf's Up," but something about that doesn't seem quite right, and the answering quality of WIBNTLA is interesting to me.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:34:29 AM by NoCallsfromKorthoff » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2013, 02:44:25 PM »

Since we're now hearing WIBNTLA (finally), this thread should be used.
My personal Surfs Up track listing as of right now:
Side A
1 Surf's Up
2 Looking at Tomorrow
3 Feel Flows
4 Disney Girls
5 4th Of July

Side B
6 The Sounds of Free
7 Don't Go Near The Water
8 A Day In The Life Of A Tree
9 'Til I Die (Rab's mix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS34TZR3SNY)
10 Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

I'm liking this right now. I love the way each track follows the last with this one.

No Long Promised Road?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2013, 03:06:39 PM »

I love this stuff....This will be my new Surf's Up album:

01  Don't Go Near The Water
02  Lady
03  (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again
04  Long Promised Road
05  Disney Girls

06  Feel Flows
07  Lookin' At Tomorrow
08  A Day In The Life Of A Tree
09  Til I Die
10  Surf's Up
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2013, 05:24:13 PM »

^Hey, I like that. You've got your Denny suite and Brian suite. Still missing Feet, but I admit it would stick out on that tracklist.

Whenever I see the word 'suite' in connection with The Beach Boys, I want to vomit. They were a pop group. Let's not try and attach 'importance' to three songs by the same guy by calling it a 'sutie', ffs.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »

Yeah, Brian! Stop trying to attach importance to your own material by calling it a suite! You fool, you write mere pop music!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-at-work-on-new-solo-record-20130606 wrong RS article - the lengthy one where he plays the journalist tracks has one of the projects defined as a 'suite'.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:32:57 PM by hypehat » Logged

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2013, 05:31:59 PM »

i think Surf's Up is almost perfect as is... SDT is a good performance, though obviously not a great song. It's lyrics are the problem, though then again, Long Promised Road also has cringe-worthy lyrics too and that's generally considered to be good.  

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2013, 07:12:14 PM »

i think Surf's Up is almost perfect as is... SDT is a good performance, though obviously not a great song. It's lyrics are the problem, though then again, Long Promised Road also has cringe-worthy lyrics too and that's generally considered to be good. 

I have been listening to Long Promised Road for 42 years and I have never cringed once. Just saying... Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »

^Hey, I like that. You've got your Denny suite and Brian suite. Still missing Feet, but I admit it would stick out on that tracklist.

Whenever I see the word 'suite' in connection with The Beach Boys, I want to vomit. They were a pop group. Let's not try and attach 'importance' to three songs by the same guy by calling it a 'sutie', ffs.

Great input into the conversation!

- B00ts
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »

I have been listening to Long Promised Road for 42 years and I have never cringed once. Just saying... Wink

"lift the jeweled scepter when the weight turns the smile to a frown" is such a bad lyric
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »

I love threads like this. I figured since we've now heard WIBNTLA, that I would share my fantasy tracklisting. Sorry if it's similar to someone else's ( I didn't look at all of them).

Side One:
1. Sounds of Free
2. Don't Go Near The Water
3. Long Promised Road
4. Disney Girls (1957)
5. Take A Load Off Your Feet
6. (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again

Side Two:
7. Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)
8. 4th of July*
9. A Day In The Life of A Tree
10. 'Till I Die
11. Surf's Up

*I was hesitant about including "4th of July" as it's not one of my favorites (it's very slow and a bit depressing). I thought about replacing it with "Lady" or putting "Sounds of Free" in it's place and making "San Miguel" the lead off track. Then I remembered that this was just a fantasy tracklisting and I stopped worrying about it.

Still, any way you look at it, Dennis is well represented.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »

My final track listing after much deliberation (  LOL):

Don't go near the water
Long promised road
4th of July
Disney Girls
Fallin' in love
(Wouldn't it be nice to) Live Again

Feel Flows
Sound of Free
Lookin' at tomorrow
A day in the life of a tree
'Til I die
Surf's Up

Side one is pretty Dennis-tastic. I was going to switch places between WIBNTLA and SU but after hearing Live Again (and felt it lived up to the hype and then some) it still gets over shadowed by the full on majesty of Brian's songs, that it does a disservice to Dennis to let his song wrap up the album.

Sorry Dennis, but I think Carl was right on this one and I wish your pride hadn't prompted you to withdraw your songs from the album. It could have been the best album of their career as a band, but for that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:42:51 PM by pixletwin » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx