gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:59:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Surfs Up have been the Greatest?  (Read 41544 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »

My final track-listing for Surf's Up:
1. Don't Go Near The Water
2. 4th Of July
3. Long Promised Road
4. Take A Load Off Your Feet
5. Disney Girls (1957)
6. Student Demonstration Time
7. Feel Flows
8. Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)
9. A Day In The Life Of A Tree
10. 'Til I Die
11. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
12. Surf's Up

Had Surf's Up been released with this track-listing, it would definitely have been considered one of the greatest albums ever, with Pet Sounds, The Smile Sessions, and Sunflower.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2013, 06:52:29 AM »

A bit late on this thread, but no, no way that SU could have been the greatest.

nothing can follow Surf's up, at least on the same vinyl side.

Ooooooh yes it can! It should take at least seven seconds of pause though. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2013, 07:28:25 AM »

A bit late on this thread, but no, no way that SU could have been the greatest.

nothing can follow Surf's up, at least on the same vinyl side.

Ooooooh yes it can! It should take at least seven seconds of pause though. Grin

But I do find it fascinating how, with just the addition ("Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again") and subtraction (maybe "Take A Load Off Your Feet" or "Student Demonstration Time") OF JUST ONE SONG, how much improved or different the album feels. I'm having problems thinking of another Beach Boys' album where that might be true. And, to think how close it was to happening, if sequencing was really the issue...
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2013, 07:39:30 AM »

But I do find it fascinating how, with just the addition ("Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again") and subtraction (maybe "Take A Load Off Your Feet" or "Student Demonstration Time") OF JUST ONE SONG, how much improved or different the album feels. I'm having problems thinking of another Beach Boys' album where that might be true. And, to think how close it was to happening, if sequencing was really the issue...

So was the issue that Dennis wanted WIBNTLA after "Til I Die" and the rest of the band refused? I'm going to try that sequencing when I get home tonight. For years I've used Adam Marsland's version of WIBNTLA as a 'placeholder' for the real thing in hopes that it would finally get released, so I'm looking forward to trying this out.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2013, 08:01:55 AM »

To me Fallin' In Love should be with Sunflower.  And I'd consider using H.E.L.P. Is On The Way (maybe over Feet).  Barbara is another possible track.  One song I just don't get is ADITLOAT.  I just don't like it.  Why would they use Jack to sing (if you call it that) when they have 6 lead singers, all of whom could have done it way better?  I'm sure it's about the lyrics, but it's never been much for me.  Once I make my version of SU, I'll give it another spin.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2013, 08:04:03 AM »

To me Fallin' In Love should be with Sunflower.  And I'd consider using H.E.L.P. Is On The Way (maybe over Feet).  Barbara is another possible track.  One song I just don't get is ADITLOAT.  I just don't like it.  Why would they use Jack to sing (if you call it that) when they have 6 lead singers, all of whom could have done it way better?  I'm sure it's about the lyrics, but it's never been much for me.  Once I make my version of SU, I'll give it another spin.

One of the thing that's really striking about A Day In The Life... is how much Jack sounds like older Brian. I always see it as evidence that Brian wanted to sound the way he became.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »

One of the thing that's really striking about A Day In The Life... is how much Jack sounds like older Brian. I always see it as evidence that Brian wanted to sound the way he became.

Funny you said that. I always pretend it's Brian singing even though I know it's not.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2013, 08:34:36 AM »

Surf's Up is a great album and one of the BB albums that i could connect the most with when i discovered.. but now, knowing all the tracks there was around and realize how much better it could have been, in my top the album just goes without a doubt after Sunflower, Love You, Holland..

But with a changed tracklist, adding Sounds Of Free, 4th Of July and Live Again, and pretend stuff like SDT never happened, yeah definitely one of their strongest.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2013, 09:06:59 AM »

I think it would've easily have been absolutely one of their very, very greatest albums. This running order works for me:

2. Long Promised Road
3. Sound of Free
4. Disney Girls (1957)
5. 4th Of July

6. Feel Flows
7. Lookin' At Tomorrow
8. A Day In The Life Of A Tree
9. Til I Die
10. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

Slightly longer than usually gap, maybe ten seconds for the sheer beauty of the preceding TID/WIBNTLA double-whammy to sink in, the listener thinks Wow it can't get any better than that - and then...

11. Surf's Up
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2013, 09:21:35 AM »

The fantasy Surf's Up thing is great but if you had to be a stickler to the facts, as far as I'm aware

1- WIBNTLA and 4th of July were the two definite Dennis compostions originally put forward with maybe Lady as a third.
2- SDT was always set to be included even before Dennis pulled his tracks. It didn't replace anything.
3- TALOYF was the song exhumed from the vaults after Dennis had his hissy fit (nothing on the 'Landlocked' reels was set in stone to appear on the next album).
4 - Sound of Free was never considered to appear at any time.

Is this about right? Correct me if I've got things wrong. Paging Mr.Doe.........

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »

The fantasy Surf's Up thing is great but if you had to be a stickler to the facts, as far as I'm aware

1- WIBNTLA and 4th of July were the two definite Dennis compostions originally put forward with maybe Lady as a third.
2- SDT was always set to be included even before Dennis pulled his tracks. It didn't replace anything.
3- TALOYF was the song exhumed from the vaults after Dennis had his hissy fit (nothing on the 'Landlocked' reels was set in stone to appear on the next album).

Is this about right? Correct me if I've got things wrong. Paging Mr.Doe.........

It would make sense that "WIBNTLA" and "4th of July" were the songs to appear on the album, considering the tracklisting.
Sunflower has 12 songs and  Surf's Up would have also had 12 songs, had Dennis kept his compositions on the album.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:30:41 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2013, 09:31:08 AM »

I think the fact that Rieley's vocal is so rough and vulnerable is almost the whole point and I think it really adds to the song. Had Carl or someone sung it sweetly it wouldn't have worked so well. What you hear is what Brian wanted. Of course if you don't like it that's fair enough, just giving my own interpretation of the song and why I love it so much....
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2013, 09:51:36 AM »

i think Surf's Up is almost perfect as is... SDT is a good performance, though obviously not a great song. It's lyrics are the problem, though then again, Long Promised Road also has cringe-worthy lyrics too and that's generally considered to be good. 

I have been listening to Long Promised Road for 42 years and I have never cringed once. Just saying... Wink

"lift the jeweled scepter when the weight turns the smile to a frown" is such a bad lyric
It's a metaphor for reaching the pinnacle and not finding the happiness you expected when you got there. Also, the lyric is "So hard to lift the jeweled scepter, when the weight turns a smile to a frown". It's Jack's imitation of Van Dyke. More like poem set to music. Just thought "cringe-worthy" was a bit strong, is all.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »

Lots of long songs on SU. I don't know if it would have room for 12 songs. Maybe 11 would be doable.

SDT was an important track for the Beach Boys -- it got them some much-needed FM play. In my fantasy alternative history SDT would have been released as a single only -- the  band would still get the airplay, but SU wouldn't have been weakened by a cut that was OK for its era, but that has subsequently become very dated and cheesy.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »

My updated fantasy Surf's Up album after hearing WIBNTLA:

1. Sound of Free
2. Long Promised Road
3. Lady
4. Disney Girls (1957)
5. 4th of July

6. Feel Flows
7. A Day In The Life of a Tree
8. Till I Die
9. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
10. Surf's Up

Make Lookin' at Tomorrow a B-side to LPR single.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »

Lots of long songs on SU. I don't know if it would have room for 12 songs. Maybe 11 would be doable.

SDT was an important track for the Beach Boys -- it got them some much-needed FM play. In my fantasy alternative history SDT would have been released as a single only -- the  band would still get the airplay, but SU wouldn't have been weakened by a cut that was OK for its era, but that has subsequently become very dated and cheesy.
OK, I'll bite, why cheesy? Lyric completely misunderstood, I'll grant you, or has the meaning of cheesy changed? I know that in here, it is a second buzzword, just next to "creepy". Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 24, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »

I think you 100% correct on that... My track tracklisting is just a fantasy "if I were in charge of the beach boys in 1971, this is what I would have done"

Otherwise I would revise my track-listing thus:

Don't go near the water
Long promised road
4th of July
Disney Girls
Student Demonstration Time

Feel Flows
Lookin' at tomorrow
A day in the life of a tree
'Til I die
(Wouldn't it be nice to) Live Again
Surf's Up

Grin
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #167 on: August 24, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »

OK, I'll bite, why cheesy? Lyric completely misunderstood, I'll grant you, or has the meaning of cheesy changed? I know that in here, it is a second buzzword, just next to "creepy". Wink

I love Rieley's lyrics, think they fit the songs to which they're set perfectly. He was a great manager for the group: right place, right time.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »

For me Rieley was inconsistent as a lyric writer. Most of the lyrics of LPR are good enough I don't always notice them 'cause Carl's singing is so damn good. His lyrics to Feel Flows definitely fit the spaced out feel of the song, since the words are pretty spacey too. Steamboat is pretty good I guess.

"So hard to lift the jeweled scepter" is a ridiculous line but I don't mind it. I guess he wrote the words of A Day in the Life of a Tree and I'd say it's his most successful lyric. 

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »

"Cheesy" -- defined by the Urban Dictionary as "Trying too hard, unsubtle, and inauthentic."

"For What It's Worth" covered the same basic subject in a more subtle manner, by making the cops vs. kids situation feel more universal. Mike's lyrics were too on-the-nose for my taste.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »

For me Rieley was inconsistent as a lyric writer. Most of the lyrics of LPR are good enough I don't always notice them 'cause Carl's singing is so damn good. His lyrics to Feel Flows definitely fit the spaced out feel of the song, since the words are pretty spacey too. Steamboat is pretty good I guess.

"So hard to lift the jeweled scepter" is a ridiculous line but I don't mind it. I guess he wrote the words of A Day in the Life of a Tree and I'd say it's his most successful lyric. 

Agreed about "A Day in The Life of a Tree." The lyrics for "Long Promised Road" are unwieldy, clearly written by someone who was not going to have to deal with singing them himself. It says a lot about Carl as a vocalist that he was able to deliver those lyrics, with all their consonants and syllables, in such a beautiful way.

I've got to say, with WIBNTLA, we would have had three of the Wilsons' best songs ever on Surfs Up: "Long Promised Road," "Till I Die," and WIBNTLA.

I almost feel as though "Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again" is the natural evolution of what Dennis was doing when he wrote "Forever."

- B00ts
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2013, 12:46:35 PM »

It's worth noting for clarity's sake that the correct title is "Sound of Free," and not "Sounds of Free."

Thanks. Sorry to be anal about one letter, but it actually makes a significant difference in the title to me.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 24, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »

Landlocked

2. 4th Of July
3. Long Promised Road
5. Disney Girls (1957)

7. San Miguel
8. Feel Flows
9. Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)
10. A Day In The Life Of A Tree
11. 'Til I Die
12. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

If we're talking fantasy tracklistings, "Surf's Up" came out in early 1967 on Smile. Smiley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »

Landlocked

2. 4th Of July
3. Long Promised Road
5. Disney Girls (1957)

7. San Miguel
8. Feel Flows
11. 'Til I Die

If we're talking fantasy tracklistings, "Surf's Up" came out in early 1967 on Smile. Smiley

but still Brian cracked and wrote Til I Die?
nah I kid Grin
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2013, 05:33:30 PM »

Landlocked

2. 4th Of July
3. Long Promised Road
5. Disney Girls (1957)

7. San Miguel
8. Feel Flows
11. 'Til I Die

but still Brian cracked and wrote Til I Die?
nah I kid Grin

Sure.  The only difference is he held it together for a few months more. LOL  Then they still pulled back but released Le'd In Hawaii instead of Smiley Smile. Grin
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:37:33 AM by Phoenix » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx