gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 02:31:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Vegas Surf the Musical Closes Due to Poor Sales  (Read 2891 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »

It was announced today that "Surf the Musical" at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas is closing after only six weeks.  Sales were so bad that they never sold more than 200 tickets for any performance and sold as few as 50 for a 1,500 seat theater.  Ouch!  Reviews for the show were described as tepid to poisonous.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/kats-report/2012/aug/08/surf-musical-close-after-just-six-weeks-planet-hol/?ae

John Stamos is producing a Beach Boy movie with a similar idea of characters based on songs, including female characters named Rhonda and Barbara Ann.  It would appear that's not a good idea based on the failure of this show which was doing the same corny type of thing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »

I saw a few videos, looked terrible

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »

John Stamos is producing a Beach Boy movie... It would appear that's not a good idea

You could say it this way too....  Grin

I guess after not having Stamos on tour with them (although he has his own 50th anniversary plecs) he justneeded to do something about the Beach Boys. What was that other movie he did on them ? Oh yeah, "An american family"... Roll Eyes

But seriously, is anyone surprised by this ? And does anyone really think that the Stamos movie will actual be a success (or at least not a failure) ?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:41:08 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »

Bad cheese is doomed to die, glad it did this time.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:50:07 PM »

I think people were looking for another "Mamma Mia."  That was successful as both a stage musical and a movie.  But the Beach Boys don't lend themselves to a good chick flick treatment.  I doubt many men went to see either version of Mia unless dragged along by wives and gf. Stamos may also be thinking of the Beatles' "Across the Universe" movie, but I'm not sure that did that well at the box office.  The Beach Boys are also not the Beatles in terms of popularity and maybe not even ABBA.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »

I was picking up my wife at McCarran Airport on Saturday from her jaunt to Houston to see our new (first) baby grand-daughter, and as we swung west back out onto Tropicana past UNLV heading toward The Strip, I saw a large lighted billboard for this show.  We live here and I swear I had never heard of it. Evidently it didn't matter.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:52:44 PM »

Well, I understand general public. It's no mystery that BBs are super-unpopular among the CASUAL listeners, spectators. So I'm not surprised or sad about this news. There's no need for making that stufft,their music is already at the top of the league.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 12:56:13 AM »

My biggest gripe with everything Beach Boys related is how they always try to market them as a California, surf, sunshine, cars, and babe ALL THE TIME. You don't see Apple marketing The Beatles with pictures of insects and actual beetles. I realize they did make surf rock at the beginning of their career but COME ON PEOPLE.

Rant over.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »

My biggest gripe with everything Beach Boys related is how they always try to market them as a California, surf, sunshine, cars, and babe ALL THE TIME. You don't see Apple marketing The Beatles with pictures of insects and actual beetles. I realize they did make surf rock at the beginning of their career but COME ON PEOPLE.

Rant over.
I agree...

darn shame about those poor sale... Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »

Was BRI involved with this directly in any way?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
rogerlancelot
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 06:37:40 PM »

I too live here in Vegas and personally boycotted the show. The clips I saw on YouTube were mind-numbingly bad and only tarnished this band's legacy even more. f*** them. Let them come up with another bad excuse for a musical.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »

Was BRI involved with this directly in any way?

No.  The press on the show after it closed was that it was not endorsed by the Beach Boys.  When a different Broadway musical (called Good Vibrations) was mounted several years ago, Mike Love did show up at opening night  in New York, as did Van Dyke Parks.  I'm not sure if BRI was attached to that one, either, but Broadway has a little more prestige than Las Vegas.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx