gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 09:10:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob & Bobby - Baby What You Want Me to Do?/ Twelve-o-Four  (Read 6413 times)
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »

I was randomly listening to "Baby What You Want Me to Do?", Brian's 1965 production for Bob (Norberg) & Bobby (?) today, and was struck by what a great recording this is. It's got that wailing Tommy Morgan harmonica, fine locked-in drumming from Hal Blaine, some really lush organ chords and that same cool "dead air" effect BW used so effectively on "The Little Girl I Once Knew".

Anyway, this does seem to be one Brian production that sort of "slipped through the cracks" as it were, where even many serious fans aren't really aware of it's existence; but I think it's right up there with his most creative productions from '65.

Can anyone share any stories about this fine single? I'm looking for any information or appreciation beyond what can be found on AGD's site. Thanks.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »

I can tell you this much. It is available from a tape rather than viynl source here (which sounds really good):

9/65     Bob & Bobby   Tower 154     Twelve-O-Four*/Baby What You Want Me To Do*

Bob is, again, Bob Norburg, the co-producer. The story goes that Brian had a chance meeting with him and
took over the project as a sort of favor. Brian's involvement in the B side is documented by an AFM sheet,
that of the A side being anecdotal: however, there are times when the male voice on both sides sounds awfully
like him... According to a reliable researcher, Bobby was Jane Canada, who later released a few solo singles.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:54:33 PM by petsite » Logged
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:51:34 PM »

That looks like a cool comp (Arthur Lee & the LAGs.. yes!). Too bad "Baby What You Want Me to Do" wasn't included as well. I don't believe Brian had anything to do with "Twelve-o-Four".

"City Surfer" by The Beach Balls was early pre-Byrds McGuinn with Bobby Darin!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:54:15 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:05:49 PM »

That looks like a cool comp (Arthur Lee & the LAGs.. yes!). Too bad "Baby What You Want Me to Do" wasn't included as well. I don't believe Brian had anything to do with "Twelve-o-Four".

Fairly certain you meant to say " Beach Ball"  by the City Surfers....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:06:38 PM »

I have this record. Single came out on Tower in 1965.

It's also on a CD called "Still I Dream Of It - the Rare Works of Brian Wilson", a Japanese comp from 1993.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 08:49:53 PM »

Fairly certain you meant to say " Beach Ball"  by the City Surfers....

Hey buddy, I'm not as think as you drunk I am!  Grin

Somewhere in an alternate universe composed of anti-matter, there exists a song called "City Surfer" by The Beach Balls, I assure you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:51:00 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »

I have this record. Single came out on Tower in 1965.

It's also on a CD called "Still I Dream Of It - the Rare Works of Brian Wilson", a Japanese comp from 1993.

Yep, that wonderful M&M "grey market" CD is my source. Sounds like a 64kbs mp3 file recorded to a type I Maxell cassette, but it's all I've got.

Would do terrible things to hear a decent sounding version. How is the quality of your 45 Mikie?

SUICIDE
MBE
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »

I have the 45 and Brian did produce it.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »

Interesting. The red label Tower promo displayed on the one YouTube clip I found of "Twelve-o-Four" clearly says Produced by Bob Norberg.

My ears tell me it's definitely Brian at the helm of "Baby What You Want Me to Do". But my ears have told me lots of things through the years.  Shocked

SUICIDE
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 10:09:18 PM »

Would do terrible things to hear a decent sounding version. How is the quality of your 45 Mikie?

About VG+ condition, Jason.  A few clicks, no pops.  Haven't played it in more than 15 years when my turntable was last hooked up. The labels on both sides of the record say "Produced by Bob Norberg", but I think at least the B-side was co-produced by Brian (uncredited).

Norberg once told Brad Elliott that Bobby was a girl whose real name was Jane Canada, but he didn't remember much about her. She was a local L.A. singer that Bob met and asked her to sing on the one single, then they went their separate ways and he never heard from her again.

BTW, both songs can also be found on the 7-disc boot "Brian Wilson Sessions".
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:17:47 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »

Thanks Mikie. Exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Are you in the Bay Area by chance? I have a local buddy with a new Rega turntable who's dying to do some needledrops. Just sayin'.

SUICIDE
MBE
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 10:22:47 PM »

Thanks Mikie. Exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Are you in the Bay Area by chance? I have a local buddy with a new Rega turntable who's dying to do some needledrops. Just sayin'.
My 45 is in great shape Jason. If you send me a s.a.s.e. I will copy it off my record player onto CD. I have professinal equipment to do so.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 01:11:12 AM »

I have the 45 and Brian did produce it.

It's really a great recording. But didn't Brian "only" co-produce ? I forgot who the other producer was (shame on me) but it was a name fairly known in Beach Boys-Land

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »

Working title of the song "Baby What You Want Me To Do" seems to have been "Peep and Hide" (taken from the lyrics at the beginning of the third verse)
AFM contract # 106707
Date: Aug 17, 1964
Personnel: Tommy Morgan, Hal Blaine, Tommy Tedesco, Bill Pitman
Producers: Brian Wilson, Bob Norberg
Employer: Grand Prix Records
Session leader: Hal Blaine

At the bottom of the contract it reads "Originally was Sea Of Tunes, later changed to Grand Prix"

AFM reprint can be found in: Stephen McParland: Our Favourite Recording Sessions, CM Publishing 2000, p. 79f.

Backing Vocals on both sides of the 45, which was only released about a year later: The Honeys

1965 Jane Canada released two 45s on the Crusader Label
(118) Just before The Night/Just Imagination
(125) Am I Dreaming/Remind My Baby Of Me
and one on the Magic Lamp label
(616) Am I Dreaming/You eyes Will Tell On You
(no involvement from Norberg or Wilson)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:50:51 AM by dogear » Logged

Watson, did you hear this?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »

Working title of the song "Baby What You Want Me To Do" seems to have been "Peep and Hide" (taken from the lyrics at the beginning of the third verse)

Guess the engineer wasn't a Jimmy Reed fan.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »

Great info!

A few points - First, that surf comp from cassette looks like a damn fine collection, if anyone has it on a format which is not obsolete and can be transferred let me know. I have the BW collections already but have never seen that collection, and it looks really cool. Bobby 'Don't Call Me Boris' Pickett doing surf...that's boss!  Smiley

I was wondering on a larger scale who bankrolled or financed these sessions in general. They weren't Capitol, they used AFM musicians like Hal who would often ask double-scale rates just to be booked for the date, and the label affiliations if any were pretty shaky at best, so it would seem. If these were Brian's own side-projects, did Brian himself finance them? Meaning simply, if it were not Capitol like "Guess I'm Dumb", they wouldn't be footing the bill.

I was also wondering if there were any anecdotal evidence of Murry in any way trying to blacklist or even sabotage any of these records, especially if his Sea Of Tunes didn't stand to profit. All the tales of Murry hammering home the idea of loyalty and family and not giving away work to "outsiders", I wondered if any of that actually translated into Murry attempting to torpedo any of Brian's projects which didn't benefit him or The Boys.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »

Good stuff, Dogear.   Didn't realize that was in McParland's book.

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »

Great info!

A few points - First, that surf comp from cassette looks like a damn fine collection, if anyone has it on a format which is not obsolete and can be transferred let me know. I have the BW collections already but have never seen that collection, and it looks really cool. Bobby 'Don't Call Me Boris' Pickett doing surf...that's boss!  Smiley

Look here http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rare-Surf-Volume-5-Capitol-masters-Japan-CD-w-obi-wayne-newton-CTCD-255-/370637434045?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item564bb66cbd

Watson, did you hear this?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 05:32:12 PM »

Your listening pleasure may vary; here's my copy: 

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oy86t4 

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rv2kqj 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 07:20:58 PM »

Twelve-o-Four sure sounds like Brian

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »

Great info!

Look here http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rare-Surf-Volume-5-Capitol-masters-Japan-CD-w-obi-wayne-newton-CTCD-255-/370637434045?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item564bb66cbd

Thanks for the link, but at the risk of sounding like a cheapskate, it isn't worth 50 dollars. Unless I'm the seller making that kind of profit on the markup, I can't think of any single CD that would be worth 50 dollars in 2012 for listening rather than collector value... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 03:02:24 AM »

9/65     Bob & Bobby   Tower 154     Twelve-O-Four*/Baby What You Want Me To Do*

Bob is, again, Bob Norburg, the co-producer. The story goes that Brian had a chance meeting with him and
took over the project as a sort of favor. Brian's involvement in the B side is documented by an AFM sheet,
that of the A side being anecdotal: however, there are times when the male voice on both sides sounds awfully
like him... According to a reliable researcher, Bobby was Jane Canada, who later released a few solo singles.

Wow, that's a dandy capsule summary of this single. Wish I could write like that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 04:06:05 AM »

Oh Great Sarcastic Lord and Leader of Robotic-likes,

Allow me to bring enlightenment to those who walk in darkness (and to spare your modesty):

http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/productions.html

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 04:36:10 AM »

I have no modesty. It was surgically removed at birth, along with my scruples.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 05:49:48 AM »

I have no modesty. It was surgically removed at birth, along with my scruples.

I have your scruples in a jar of formaldehyde, on a shelf above my desk. Should the need ever arise, your acolytes and I will extract your DNA from them to ensure you arise, phoenix-like… or cloned phoenix-like – or at least like a pair of cloned scruples – to keep people in their place.  In the meantime I'll continue to turn them over once a week and give 'em a scratch.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx