gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 07:39:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob & Bobby - Baby What You Want Me to Do?/ Twelve-o-Four  (Read 6452 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 05:59:30 AM »

I was also wondering if there were any anecdotal evidence of Murry in any way trying to blacklist or even sabotage any of these records, especially if his Sea Of Tunes didn't stand to profit.

No. The mechanical royalties from the New Executive published song would have gone to Murry and whoever else owned that company.

This is not to say that Murry, as manager and publisher, would have made Brian's various outside the group productions and compositions a top priority.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 06:48:48 AM »

9/65     Bob & Bobby   Tower 154     Twelve-O-Four*/Baby What You Want Me To Do*

Bob is, again, Bob Norburg, the co-producer. The story goes that Brian had a chance meeting with him and
took over the project as a sort of favor. Brian's involvement in the B side is documented by an AFM sheet,
that of the A side being anecdotal: however, there are times when the male voice on both sides sounds awfully
like him... According to a reliable researcher, Bobby was Jane Canada, who later released a few solo singles.

Wow, that's a dandy capsule summary of this single. Wish I could write like that.

Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 08:02:50 AM »

I was also wondering if there were any anecdotal evidence of Murry in any way trying to blacklist or even sabotage any of these records, especially if his Sea Of Tunes didn't stand to profit.

No. The mechanical royalties from the New Executive published song would have gone to Murry and whoever else owned that company.

This is not to say that Murry, as manager and publisher, would have made Brian's various outside the group productions and compositions a top priority.

So Brian's "New Executive" was still connected to Sea Of Tunes and Murry? I know it's only a small blurb of an announcement but the Billboard column only refers to it as Brian's company, which I assumed (probably incorrectly) was a separate company from Murry and Sea Of Tunes.

I just have that feeling that Brian would regularly get raked over the coals by Murry about the "family loyalty" issue, and these outside productions would be a sore spot for Murry's issues with him over working with non-family.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 08:53:18 AM »

I always thought Brian had only one "company" and that was Sea Of Tunes.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 09:06:23 AM »

Check out Billboard magazine, May 9th 1964 page 33 for the news blurb about Brian's company "New Executive". I assumed Brian was exclusive to Sea Of Tunes in the 60's and that told otherwise, although it would seem even though the name is different Murry/SOT was still getting the checks from Brian's work, if they even made money at that time.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 09:42:18 AM »

Ah, OK. So "New Executive" is Brian's publishing company.

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen the company referenced on his solo records.

SBonilla
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »

Check out Billboard magazine, May 9th 1964 page 33 for the news blurb about Brian's company "New Executive". I assumed Brian was exclusive to Sea Of Tunes in the 60's and that told otherwise, although it would seem even though the name is different Murry/SOT was still getting the checks from Brian's work, if they even made money at that time.
I really think that the reason New Executive was created was due, in part, to the Surfin' USA fiasco. Sea of Tunes was lucky to get off with just splitting the  writers credit. What kind of hit would Sea Of Tunes taken if something like that had happened again? Yes, New Executive was for Brian's outside writing and production projects, but I also think the company served (as best it could) to protect and sheild Brian's profitable core catalog (Sea Of Tunes).
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »

I really think that the reason New Executive was created was due, in part, to the Surfin' USA fiasco. Sea of Tunes was lucky to get off with just splitting the  writers credit. What kind of hit would Sea Of Tunes taken if something like that had happened again? Yes, New Executive was for Brian's outside writing and production projects, but I also think the company served (as best it could) to protect and sheild Brian's profitable core catalog (Sea Of Tunes).

Interesting! I'm sure a little digging would answer this, but is there any evidence of Beach Boys or BB's-related songs from the 60's being published under the New Executive company instead of Sea Of Tunes? Or was it basically acting as both a catch-all and/or a safety net if anyone decided to go after Sea of Tunes in a legal matter?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »

9/65     Bob & Bobby   Tower 154     Twelve-O-Four*/Baby What You Want Me To Do*

Bob is, again, Bob Norburg, the co-producer. The story goes that Brian had a chance meeting with him and
took over the project as a sort of favor. Brian's involvement in the B side is documented by an AFM sheet,
that of the A side being anecdotal: however, there are times when the male voice on both sides sounds awfully
like him... According to a reliable researcher, Bobby was Jane Canada, who later released a few solo singles.

Wow, that's a dandy capsule summary of this single. Wish I could write like that.

Bob evidently SO adores you that he took your credit. ( he probably thought nobody would notice) 

But what of Jane Canada; is she still alive? have you interviewed her to see what she remembers? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SBonilla
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »

Interesting! I'm sure a little digging would answer this, but is there any evidence of Beach Boys or BB's-related songs from the 60's being published under the New Executive company instead of Sea Of Tunes? Or was it basically acting as both a catch-all and/or a safety net if anyone decided to go after Sea of Tunes in a legal matter?
Sloop John B might be the only New Executive published Beach Boys song. I think that is an example of Murry (or whoever was calling the publishing shots) being cautious (meaning protecting Sea Of Tunes) with an adapted public domain song. Though it was PD, you never know who could come out of the woodwork with a claim of infringement. I poked around a little bit. I believe Brian,  Mike, and Al's  portion of Almost Summer is New Executive. Brian kept using it over the years, here and there.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 10:46:24 PM »

I've always loved "12:04" and the spoken vocals sure sound like Brian (though I've been told they're Bob N.).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 08:25:13 AM »

I really think that the reason New Executive was created was due, in part, to the Surfin' USA fiasco. Sea of Tunes was lucky to get off with just splitting the  writers credit.

They weren't - pretty much all the royalties and publishing from the sales of "SUSA" went to Chuck for many, many years.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:26:22 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SBonilla
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »

I really think that the reason New Executive was created was due, in part, to the Surfin' USA fiasco. Sea of Tunes was lucky to get off with just splitting the  writers credit.

They weren't - pretty much all the royalties and publishing from the sales of "SUSA" went to Chuck for many, many years.
Interesting!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »

Interesting!

And if other cases involving Chuck's so-called "publishers" are any indication, I doubt Chuck himself saw much if anything at all from those checks. And it wasn't an issue an artist connected to certain publishers could easily negotiate... Smiley

Interesting that Sloop John B is one of the only prominent song titles listed from that time - it definitely suggests they were out to protect the much larger Sea Of Tunes financially and legally by having this other one available.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx