gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680719 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:38:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Collectors Exchange Group?  (Read 6241 times)
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »

Now that we've all had a good laugh at Ethan's expense, I want to throw an idea out that I hope will make Fantasy Mike Love no longer ashamed of us.

The thread about all the different hard to find mixes and obscure releases got me thinking yesterday. What if we had some kind of facebook group or something were fans could exchange items at reasonable prices or pass on good deals we find locally. Something where fans could help each other build their collections without getting gouged. For instance, I saw a paperback copy of "The Nearest Faraway Place" this weekend that was like $7.00, I already have a hardcover copy, so I wasn't interested personally, but if I knew that someone else was, I could have picked it up and shipped it to them if they paid me back. Or, for example, you find an original album in better condition than you currently have, so you buy the nicer one and want to give your older copy a good home.

I'm in a group for Zumba instructors to exchange Zumba clothes that would be a good model for this. There are different photo albums for different categories of items. There's a wanted album where someone posts a picture and short description of what they want and people get in line for it if they also want that item, then when another member has that item, they go through the line to find out who they can sell it to. We could also do different albums for vinyl, CDs, books and miscellaneous merchandise.

This is just an idea I had, if anyone thinks it's worth pursuing let me know. I wouldn't mind putting it together, but it may be a few weeks before I can get to it with my current workload. I just thought this might be something nice for the fan community.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »

Great idea, count me in!  I've leeched a few items out of the community of late and am keen to give back.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:54:21 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »

Where is the funny thread at Ethan's expense?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:51:12 PM »

Where is the funny thread at Ethan's expense?
Its in the sandbox with the recent threads started by Ethan. This trading idea sounds great as well.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »

I'm in.  I like this idea.

I have at least two hundred BB / BW related "extra" or "doubles" of cds, vinyl, and other collectables as I love to shop for Brian and Beach Boys stuff and if I see something I know is hard to find, rare or just a great deal I pick it up with the hope that I will one day meet other over the top BB geeks with whom I can trade. 
If there are any fans who want to trade stuff in the meantime send me your list (PM or e-mail) and we can work on a trade or two!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »

Since this has picked up a little bit of interest, I'll work on putting it together. Like I said in the original post, I may not actually get to it for a few weeks because of work commitments and I just scheduled LASIK for the end of the month, but I wanted to throw the idea out there while it was on my mind. I think Facebook is probably the best outlet for it, so in the meantime anyone interested can add me (I use the same email for this that I do for that, so it should be easy to find me). Anyone who wants to take an active role in running or setting up the group can pm me.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:51 PM »

"It's a damn shame... I don't get a percentage of this action."
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 01:31:26 PM »

I just added everyone that PMed me about this on Facebook and am ready to get rolling on this. I've spent too much time this afternoon trying to come up with a name for our group though, my attempts at a funny title have been really stupid. For now I'll just call it "The Beach Boys Collectors Exchange" until anyone comes up with something better. I'll update with the link once I'm finished.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »

I'm in a group for Zumba instructors to exchange Zumba clothes that would be a good model for this.

How. How do you tolerate the music.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »

I just added everyone that PMed me about this on Facebook and am ready to get rolling on this. I've spent too much time this afternoon trying to come up with a name for our group though, my attempts at a funny title have been really stupid. For now I'll just call it "The Beach Boys Collectors Exchange" until anyone comes up with something better. I'll update with the link once I'm finished.

"The Trader".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »

OK, sure. Count me in too. Maybe Mikie will join and then we'll have alot of whirled peas.  
But is this to be an exchange of internet files and /or CDs or is it possible that someone like me that doesn't crae at all for CDs might fine someone else to exchange with?
other than alholio71....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »

I would, however since this appears to be american I doubt shipping costs for LP's would be very viable - although I'm happy for certain things. I'll let you decide on that, but I do attend alot of record fairs...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »

I'm in a group for Zumba instructors to exchange Zumba clothes that would be a good model for this.

How. How do you tolerate the music.

It is pretty trying sometimes. I teach around 9 Zumba classes a week, not counting the ones I sub here and there. If you think the music is irritating from your perspective, try not only listening to your playlist when you teach, but memorizing the songs before class and choreographing the music. But, it's good money and is way better than listening to aerobic remixes that get played in standard group exercise classes.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 01:56:08 PM »

I would, however since this appears to be american I doubt shipping costs for LP's would be very viable - although I'm happy for certain things. I'll let you decide on that, but I do attend alot of record fairs...

This open to anyone in any country. Shipping and those costs are at the seller's discretion, so there's no harm in looking for items or listing them. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:07:23 PM by Amanda Hart » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »

This open to anyone in any country. Shipping and those costs seller's discretion, so there's no harm in looking for items or listing them. 

Count me in then!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »

I've finished getting the basic pieces up. You can find the group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/409441785784087/

Let me know if anyone has trouble or questions. Thanks guys, I think this could be very fun!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »

I'm in!

“We live in divisive times.”
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »

OK, sure. Count me in too. Maybe Mikie will join and then we'll have alot of whirled peas.  
But is this to be an exchange of internet files and /or CDs or is it possible that someone like me that doesn't crae at all for CDs might fine someone else to exchange with?
other than alholio71....

I've got sections made for LPs, 45s, CDs, books, memorabilia and other music, so there should be plenty of opportunity if you're an analog guy.
ahoutman1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »

I have some autographed items to list. Which section would they fall under?

Also I have no idea what some of these are worth... if anyone could help me out on that I would be very appreciative.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »

I have some autographed items to list. Which section would they fall under?

Also I have no idea what some of these are worth... if anyone could help me out on that I would be very appreciative.

I would put them in Memorabilia, I'll message you about the value and help you come up with a fair price.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »

Amanda, what about those who are not on Facebook and aren't going to be?
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »

Honestly, Facebook has to be the best way to manage something like this. It's free and easy to manage, there's an ability to control what's posted and who sees what, plus as members you have control over the privacy settings of what you post and can PM each other with one click. Any similar setup I can think of would also require you to set up an account if you wanted to participate. You could always make a dummy profile with super tight privacy settings if you don't want people to find you or find out anything about you personally.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »

Honestly, Facebook has to be the best way to manage something like this. It's free and easy to manage, there's an ability to control what's posted and who sees what, plus as members you have control over the privacy settings of what you post and can PM each other with one click. Any similar setup I can think of would also require you to set up an account if you wanted to participate. You could always make a dummy profile with super tight privacy settings if you don't want people to find you or find out anything about you personally.

yeah!  sounds good and you're probably right, but what of someone like Mikie who's already running on his dummy profile here; What's someone like him to do?    Dead Horse

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 09:45:47 PM »

I like the current name because if you move one letter to the right it becomes "The Beach Boys Collector Sexchange"
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:50:28 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »

I like the current name because if you move one letter to the right it becomes "The Beach Boys Collector Sexchange"

I'd join facebook for that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx