-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Off-topic junk from "Those who post nonsense, threads that are one or two posts only, etc..." thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Off-topic junk from "Those who post nonsense, threads that are one or two posts only, etc..." thread  (Read 74067 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 08:41:04 AM »

I'm new here, though I suspect I've been following BW and the boys for as long as just about any of you, so forgive me if the following seems to be overstepping one's bounds....but from what I've been reading of late, The Real BB may need to rethink his sub-handle just a bit. "Mr. Positivity" seems a bit challenged at the moment...

I don't think RangeRoverA1 is polluting the board at all. Let's remember that the Beach Boys love all girls and wish they all could be...well, you know the rest! If RR's avatar is actually her own picture, then we should all be a lot nicer!! And if it's not--RR: "Girl Don't Tell Me"....  Grin

Well...that's more than a bit creepy.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »

I don't think Rotogravure1 is polluting the board at all. Let's remember that the Beach Boys love all girls and wish they all could be...well, you know the rest! If RR's avatar is actually her own picture, then we should all be a lot nicer!! And if it's not--RR: "Girl Don't Tell Me"....  Grin

Also, please keep this kind of stuff out of here, it's just creepy. I've noticed that whenever we have a girl posting here, people can't control themselves and things get carried away to the point of melodrama. I know, it's novel that there's a girl posting here, super awesome, but if want to flirt, take it to private messages or something.

Can you be a bit more prejudiced, hypocritical and condescending ?

Just wondering..... nothing personal.

Smokin

Crap always gets out of hand, that's just the way it's been as long as I've been reading here. There was a big fragmentation of the community over just this type of thing years back. Recently there was Denni's Child, who stirred up a bunch of crap. I don't know where the prejudice or hypocrisy comes in, but sorry I would just really encourage people to steer away from that type of thing. It's like as soon as we find out a poster is a girl, certain members won't be able to stop themselves from...well, you know...

*sighs* ok, sure. I mentioned prejudice because it 'seemed' as though you were judging before finding out what somebody was up to. I dunno.

But, I called hypocritical because at one point you were saying that post count didn't mean anything, but then you seemed to be accusing RangeRover of doing that exact thing, or at least suspecting her to have that motive.

RangeRoverA1 in every case. I think he is just trying to inflate his post count because he thinks that's related to your cred here.

Remember, you came out of the gate basically accusing her of dredging up old threads and so forth.

I dont' know ... it just seemed a bit hostile to me. I happen to like RangeRover and feel that she contributes thoughtfully and seems to have a good nature. She's been maligned here before unnecessarily which kind of ticked me off.

I've gone back over this thread and it still reads the same to me. If you can convince me otherwise, I'm willing to listen.  Cool Guy

BTW... I appreciate that you didn't just go ballistic and start calling names; but actually addressed my comment in a reasonable manner.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:44:26 PM by JanBerryFarm » Logged

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 09:06:45 PM »

I could write a 5 page response, and you could write one back, and we could spend days having a pointless argument about nothing really, but I'm not going to.

If you were offended, or thought I was attacking someone or whatever, you're just going to have to deal. I'm not out to hurt anyone's feelings, I just want to see the board run smoothly. Part of the board running smoothly is just people taking things in stride and restraining themselves from reading insults into every comment.
Again, I think it's pretty simple, if you're posting is pissing off other members, just tone it down. Nobody can tell you what to do, but if you want to be a part of the community you're going to have to make some concessions here and there. If you're reviving a lot of old threads, and people are expressing their annoyance, maybe just revive fewer threads. It's not asking a whole lot. Likewise if people are telling you to tone down some of your flirtatious posts, maybe just tone them down a little bit or send a private message.
Let's try and not make a big deal out of this, don't allow yourself to develop a persecution complex because you think older posters dislike newbies. You know full well that that isn't the case. Nobody dislikes any of you, you're just being asked to use a little judgement and show a little discretion before posting.

So why don't we all just move forward, and try and get along.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 09:42:17 PM »

I could write a 5 page response, and you could write one back, and we could spend days having a pointless argument about nothing really, but I'm not going to.

If you were offended, or thought I was attacking someone or whatever, you're just going to have to deal. I'm not out to hurt anyone's feelings, I just want to see the board run smoothly. Part of the board running smoothly is just people taking things in stride and restraining themselves from reading insults into every comment.
Again, I think it's pretty simple, if you're posting is pissing off other members, just tone it down. Nobody can tell you what to do, but if you want to be a part of the community you're going to have to make some concessions here and there. If you're reviving a lot of old threads, and people are expressing their annoyance, maybe just revive fewer threads. It's not asking a whole lot. Likewise if people are telling you to tone down some of your flirtatious posts, maybe just tone them down a little bit or send a private message.
Let's try and not make a big deal out of this, don't allow yourself to develop a persecution complex because you think older posters dislike newbies. You know full well that that isn't the case. Nobody dislikes any of you, you're just being asked to use a little judgement and show a little discretion before posting.

So why don't we all just move forward, and try and get along.

All that SOUNDS reasonable. But let's be clear that it's not ME you're advising.
I have neither a persecution complex nor any history of flirting.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »

I think the bottom line here is that everybody, I mean EVERYBODY needs to be careful about how they post their comments.  Writing what's on your mind can translate a lot differently when read by others, as opposed to casually speaking it in a conversation.  If you type in something cute and quaint as if you're speaking it, there's a chance it might read as something inappropriate.  There are so many situations where this can happen.  Friendly sarcasm can come across as an insulting assault.

Best thing to do is read your post carefully before you hit that 'post' button.   Smiley

OR people could just be themselves and everyone can work on not taking teh internets so srsly.

I don't post much so I don't really have a place in this discussion, but I do find the discouragement of reviving old threads REALLY weird. I own/operate a forum for another musical artist and we love it when that happens.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 10:37:44 AM »

Obviously posters are finding the older threads because they did a search of the messageboard so if it means people are doing their due dilligence and doing a search first (which is the mantra around these parts)--I'm not sure why we would be against that?  If I had to choose which of the two scenarios would piss me off less between seeing a new thread of an old topic or a member posting in an old/zombie thread--I"d go with the latter. 

If you've already posted what you had to say on the subject...why would you prefer to see a new thread on the same topic over a thread that already had yours (and everyone else's) thoughts already included?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »

While I'm all for reducing clutter, the "insignificant questions" thread is absolutely huge, at this point, and is a bit aimless for obvious reasons. If you're looking for a particular bit of info it may be a bit of a challenge as opposed to it being its own thread. Just a thought.

This is why we need a wiki, folks! %^_^%
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:13:12 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »

Obviously posters are finding the older threads because they did a search of the messageboard so if it means people are doing their due dilligence and doing a search first (which is the mantra around these parts)--I'm not sure why we would be against that?  If I had to choose which of the two scenarios would piss me off less between seeing a new thread of an old topic or a member posting in an old/zombie thread--I"d go with the latter. 

If you've already posted what you had to say on the subject...why would you prefer to see a new thread on the same topic over a thread that already had yours (and everyone else's) thoughts already included?
My thoughts exactly.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »

I would suggest that is a poster does not want to have all their comments/posts taken in the worst way possible no matter what their validity: DO NOT use a picture of David leaf as your avatar!!!!  Evil

Zack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »

I don't think RangeRoverA1 is polluting the board at all. Let's remember that the Beach Boys love all girls and wish they all could be...well, you know the rest! If RR's avatar is actually her own picture, then we should all be a lot nicer!! And if it's not--RR: "Girl Don't Tell Me"....  Grin

Also, please keep this kind of stuff out of here, it's just creepy. I've noticed that whenever we have a girl posting here, people can't control themselves and things get carried away to the point of melodrama. I know, it's novel that there's a girl posting here, super awesome, but if want to flirt, take it to private messages or something.

I'm glad somebody pointed this out. I agree, very creepy.

Besides, the avatar is Jenny Boyd, younger sister of Pattie "Layla" Boyd and former wife of Mick Fleetwood.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:27:42 PM by Zack » Logged

"I experimented myself right out of action."
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 02:03:21 AM »

I wish all these threads about opinions ("do you like it better when Carl sang A5 or G4?" "what do you think is the 23rd best song they recorded?" "Smile versus Still Cruisin?") and stupid counterfactuals ("what if John Stamos was an original Beach Boy?" "what if The Beatles were time travelers and managed to record Pet Sounds before Brian did?" "what if Mike Love raped and killed a girl in 1990 and we just don't know about it?") would be counted as nonsense.

More signal, less noise, please. I come to this board for information, not speculation.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 02:19:49 AM »

Re people discussing topics which have already been discussed: I really struggle to see why this bothers anyone?? If someone is new to the board how on earth are they supposed to know whether or not a topic has been previously discussed? Or are they expected to trawl through every single previous thread before posting? There's a rather unpleasant 'I've been here longer than you' attitude amongst certain people on here, which is rather pathetic. Look, if a topic has already been discussed and you don't want to have to go over old ground then just DON'T ENGAGE IN THE CONVERSATION! Just skip on to a different thread and let those who weren't on here whenever said topic was discussed previously enjoy their debate without a load of petty sneering. I personally really enjoyed the recent 'Who's your favourite Beach Boy?' thread. I wasn't on here when it was originally discussed, as presumably rather a lot of other people weren't either, so it was a fun topic to discuss. It's the Beach Boys - lighten up!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 03:10:22 AM »

Re people discussing topics which have already been discussed: I really struggle to see why this bothers anyone?? If someone is new to the board how on earth are they supposed to know whether or not a topic has been previously discussed? Or are they expected to trawl through every single previous thread before posting? There's a rather unpleasant 'I've been here longer than you' attitude amongst certain people on here, which is rather pathetic. Look, if a topic has already been discussed and you don't want to have to go over old ground then just DON'T ENGAGE IN THE CONVERSATION! Just skip on to a different thread and let those who weren't on here whenever said topic was discussed previously enjoy their debate without a load of petty sneering. I personally really enjoyed the recent 'Who's your favourite Beach Boy?' thread. I wasn't on here when it was originally discussed, as presumably rather a lot of other people weren't either, so it was a fun topic to discuss. It's the Beach Boys - lighten up!

I don't get why people keep ignoring what the complaint being made was.

When this thread was made someone had bumped three dead topics, all very similar to one another, in order to make a low-content, low effort post.
I log into the board, check out any new topics on the front page, and get a real feeling of deja-vu. "Haven't I already read this exact same thread before?" [before you run off to respond to this, I'm not just talking about the same general topic of an old thread, I'm talking about the *exact* same thread] followed by "Didn't I post in this very thread?", followed by "oh wait, this thread was originally posted in 2008".
At that point I go to the last page of the thread, in order to read the new posts and see what had\s been added to the discussion.

"my favorite beach boy is Al!"

Who gives a flying f*** honestly? Everyone is overly complicating the issue and trying to read some subtext into the annoyance that a few members expressed at this sort of vapid, impulsive posting. It clutters up the board plain and simple, it pushes off newer more active topics, and those topics get lost in the shuffle. It's just obnoxious.

Listen, you guys can all post whatever you want, you can do whatever you want, there's nobody who's going to stop you. I get it, it's fun to post lists and things like that. But, jeeze, you don't have to dig through the archives and mindlessly tag on your personal best of list to every thread that's ever been made. Seriously, put a little effort into your posting, don't bump an old thread (especially one from freaking 2008) just to post your banal list of favorite whatevers.

This whole thing is so ridiculous. Nobody has any problem with newbies, nobody is making any sort of unreasonable demands, nobody is trying to censor anybody, nobody is trying to tell people they can't post their opinion. Just use some stinking common sense, some moderation, some self control. It just sucks coming here and seeing interesting, new threads bumped off the front page by a half dozen threads from 2008 that feature nothing but zero effort lists. That's not interesting, that's not discussion, that's just posting for postings sake, and it sucks. So just don't do it.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 03:59:18 AM »

I feel stupid for writing all that. Again, I'm not posting in this thread to insult anyone or make anyone feel bad. If there are 5 basic rules that I think people should be following, I'd say these are them...

1. If you have a question that can be definitively answered, i.e. Who sang lead on song X, or when was song Y recorded, check AGD's site or the archives before making a new thread.

2. Don't post in any thread that's fallen off the first two or three pages of active discussion. The exception being cases where you're fulfilling some promise you had previously made in that thread, or updating it with a new piece of news or information relevant to discussion.

For example, "Hey I took some pictures at that 19XX show, I'll post them for you all when I get the opportunity.", or "I'm going to be interviewing Brian for the website I work for, what questions should I ask him?" In cases like that, once you've had a chance to upload the pictures, or once the interview has been published, it's more than reasonable to update the original thread. The general rule here is, if you're posting in an old thread, make it count.

3. If you're posting a gag thread, a nonsense thread, a joke thread, or any other thread along those lines, you're welcome to do so as long as it's in moderation. Don't overdo it, or post silly threads just for the sake of posting silly threads. It's perfectly acceptable to make goofy topics occasionally, just try not to go over board. If there are a couple of other joke threads floating around already, maybe hold off a bit before posting your own.

4. Don't flirt with other members, make suggestive comments, or carry personal discussions over into the regular forums. Use the sandbox, private messages or emails instead for that type of thing.

5. Don't solicit bootlegs from other members. Discussion of bootlegs is fine, just don't request links to them in public threads. Use private messages or emails or google search if you are trying to find that type of thing.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:37 AM »

I wish all these threads about opinions ("do you like it better when Carl sang A5 or G4?" "what do you think is the 23rd best song they recorded?" "Smile versus Still Cruisin?") and stupid counterfactuals ("what if John Stamos was an original Beach Boy?" "what if The Beatles were time travelers and managed to record Pet Sounds before Brian did?" "what if Mike Love raped and killed a girl in 1990 and we just don't know about it?"[/i]) would be counted as nonsense.

More signal, less noise, please. I come to this board for information, not speculation.

Actually this might make a pretty interesting thread.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2012, 11:48:45 PM »

First two or three pages? Given the huge amount of recent activity, stuff from several pages back is still pretty relevant.

Whoever said using the search function to see if what you're looking for is already here and bumping it if need be (additional questions, new info, corrections etc.) had it right, imo. If we're trying to minimize clutter, this is the right approach. Bumping of ancient threads is only really becomes irksome when it's bumping a very old thread with a response like "Oh yeah, I agree!" or something.

Also, message boards are for discussion, which involves lots of information and speculation, really.

tl;dr non-mods talking like mods and saying nothing interesting

stl;sdr lolololol

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2012, 09:06:28 AM »

Btw, regarding Dennyschild, I don't think that any of the board people tried to flirt with her, they were just in awe of the lost & found daughter of Dennis Wilson - one of The BBs - the band this place is dedicated to. I recall reading some thread where she said about her family & just wanted to know more about her real father & the guys & girls of this board were very kind to her, gave advices, links to some videos etc. It was very interesting read for me!

I recall differently. I recall that several posters loudly doubted her honesty and that at least one was extremely unpleasant. Which is why she doesn't post here any more.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »

To me there's four Beach Boys styles/categories...

Malt Shop Beach Boys.  All the hits.  Milkshakes and cheerleaders.  I Get Around, Little Deuce Coupe.
Burn-out Beach Boys.  15 Big Ones, Beaches In Mind.  Johnny Carson.  Too weird to be classic, too classic to be weird.  Okay...it's weird. 
Hi-Art Beach Boys.  Pet Sounds, Smile, Wild Honey.  Let him run wild.  Wild Honey probably straddles Burn-out Beach Boys.
Bad 80's Pop Beach Boys.  Mike Love, Summer in Paradise.  Basically whenever Brian wasn't around.  Or if he was, he was sucked down the synth drum vortex.

You could divide them up into a lot more "eras" and such (i.e.; "The Early days" Surfin' Safari/Surfin' USA, etc) but these, I think, are the big buckets of "styles" you're likely to get.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2012, 04:03:06 PM »

Bad 80's Pop Beach Boys.  Mike Love, Summer in Paradise.  Basically whenever Brian wasn't around.  Or if he was, he was sucked down the synth drum vortex.

Brian was a very willing participant during this era. "In My Car" is total 80s cheese, absolutely on par with Mike Love 80s cheese. We know the guy was a big fan of synths, even before the rest of the guys, so it's not as if he was standing in the corner screaming "IT HAS TO SOUND LIKE PET SOUNDS" and Mike was saying "NO FUCK YOU I WANT THIS SHIT TO SOUND HORRIBLY DATED IN FIVE YEARS" or anything.

And uh, so all the odds and ends threads are gonna get tossed in here, it seems? Odd, but hay, I'm not in charge.

Yet.  Cool

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »

See also revived threads on same subject - a la three "which Beach Boy is best" threads, all dug up simultaneously…?

RangeRoverA1 in every case. I think he is just trying to inflate his post count because he thinks that's related to your cred here.
First off, I'm a girl, secondly, how do you know that I try to inflate my post count? Do you have an ability to read people's minds? Of course, you can't think that I just enjoy writing, without any other sly idea. Come on, what's wrong with these threads I revived? I think there's no harm. I'm very tired of all this "blame". Why not be friends?

I agree with you, and it's not just because the only two things I know about you are 1.you're a girl and 2. your avatar is pretty hot. 

Since messageboards are so impersonal, it's really hard for a board like with a ton of information, and intelligent, knowledgeable people to not come off as Elitist, snobby, and looking like a little boys club. 

If people don't like the topics being replied to (oh the horror!) they don't have to read them. 

With that said, though, it's also the moderator's perogative to do whatever he wants with his message board. 

It just reinforces the elitist vibe though, and it's one of the reasons I don't enjoy this board as much as of late.  Too much Bullshit, not enough fun fun fun. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »

Malt Shop Beach Boys.  All the hits.  Milkshakes and cheerleaders.  I Get Around, Little Deuce Coupe.
Burn-out Beach Boys.  15 Big Ones, Beaches In Mind.  Johnny Carson.  Too weird to be classic, too classic to be weird.  Okay...it's weird. 
Hi-Art Beach Boys.  Pet Sounds, Smile, Wild Honey.  Let him run wild.  Wild Honey probably straddles Burn-out Beach Boys.

You could divide them up into a lot more "eras" and such (i.e.; "The Early days" Surfin' Safari/Surfin' USA, etc) but these, I think, are the big buckets of "styles" you're likely to get.
so basically what you're saying is, "I like 61-74, everything after that is bad for one of two reasons."

and it's absolutely DUMB that we're talking about this in this thread. this makes things more complicated and confusing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »

so basically what you're saying is, "I like 61-74, everything after that is bad for one of two reasons."

and it's absolutely DUMB that we're talking about this in this thread. this makes things more complicated and confusing.

Wha?  Huh

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »

this thread is about regulating posting behaviors. and someone your post about different eras of the Beach Boys ended up in it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »

Bad 80's Pop Beach Boys.  Mike Love, Summer in Paradise.  Basically whenever Brian wasn't around.  Or if he was, he was sucked down the synth drum vortex.

Brian was a very willing participant during this era. "In My Car" is total 80s cheese, absolutely on par with Mike Love 80s cheese. We know the guy was a big fan of synths, even before the rest of the guys, so it's not as if he was standing in the corner screaming "IT HAS TO SOUND LIKE PET SOUNDS" and Mike was saying "NO FUCK YOU I WANT THIS SHIT TO SOUND HORRIBLY DATED IN FIVE YEARS" or anything.

And uh, so all the odds and ends threads are gonna get tossed in here, it seems? Odd, but hay, I'm not in charge.

Yet.  Cool

Totally agree about Brian in the 80's.  Those are just my categories for BBs music -- Oldies, Arty, Burny, and "light pop."  That's probably a better name for it.  Light, Schlocky Pop.  It goes beyond cheesy 80s, really.  But, whenever Brian wasn't involved (SIP) this is the direction they headed.  But Brian did it too, yes....but when he did it, it typically sounded more like something from the "burny" "arty" or even "oldy" category.  My categories are pretty solid.   Smokin

And, oh yeah...sorry about using the wrong "meaningless" thread.  The title made it seem like a logical place for a "light" post.  But whatever.... I'm a rule breaker!!!  Evil Rock!

LOL
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:49:53 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »

this thread is about regulating posting behaviors. and someone your post about different eras of the Beach Boys ended up in it.

so, I wandered into the sheriff's office.  bummer

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: