-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Off-topic junk from "Those who post nonsense, threads that are one or two posts only, etc..." thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Off-topic junk from "Those who post nonsense, threads that are one or two posts only, etc..." thread  (Read 74061 times)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »

A thought: equally annoying as these threads are the threads with "vague" titles, such as:

"Whoa, look at that!"
"What if?"
"Interesting video."

or, and these are authentic, recent examples:

"Grande Coincidence?"
"and now, to entertain you tonight"
"Suggestions?"
"Umm What?"
"Here is a mystery..."
"cool"
"Um..."

(as you can see, my first three imaginary examples were far from being exaggerated)

More often than not, threads with these titles are the kind of pointless threads you'll be monitoring more closely from now on. But sometimes a genuinely interesting thread might be hidden behind such a stupid name.

So, wouldn't it be nice if everyone tried to come up with titles that describe what one can expect to find in the thread?  Smiley

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:21:26 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »

But that's so limiting.....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 02:45:17 AM »

See also revived threads on same subject - a la three "which Beach Boy is best" threads, all dug up simultaneously…?

“We live in divisive times.”
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 03:02:55 AM »

See also revived threads on same subject - a la three "which Beach Boy is best" threads, all dug up simultaneously…?

RangeRoverA1 in every case. I think he is just trying to inflate his post count because he thinks that's related to your cred here.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:16:20 AM »

RangeRoverA1 in every case. I think he is just trying to inflate his post count because he thinks that's related to your cred here.

A common fallacy and one I have personally dis-proven.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:05:09 AM »

Did any one get hurt?  Is everyone OK?  Alright, let's move on shall we?
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 08:23:24 AM »

I'm new here, though I suspect I've been following BW and the boys for as long as just about any of you, so forgive me if the following seems to be overstepping one's bounds....but from what I've been reading of late, The Real BB may need to rethink his sub-handle just a bit. "Mr. Positivity" seems a bit challenged at the moment...

I don't think RangeRoverA1 is polluting the board at all. Let's remember that the Beach Boys love all girls and wish they all could be...well, you know the rest! If RR's avatar is actually her own picture, then we should all be a lot nicer!! And if it's not--RR: "Girl Don't Tell Me"....  Grin
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »

I would like to point out that when everyone was upset about new threads being created about previously discussed topics, posters were actually encouraged to revisit and bump up older threads in order to cut down on clutter. Shouldn't fresh perspectives be welcomed? Perhaps the problem is that the veterans simply think noobs don't have anything worthwhile to contribute. Although that is sometimes the case (Check out all of my posts), some of the new folks have a lot to offer.

So which is it? Anything discussed over a month ago is considered settled? Or can old threads be resurrected without shrieking and the rending of garments?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 10:17:08 AM »

I would like to point out that when everyone was upset about new threads being created about previously discussed topics, posters were actually encouraged to revisit and bump up older threads in order to cut down on clutter. Shouldn't fresh perspectives be welcomed? Perhaps the problem is that the veterans simply think noobs don't have anything worthwhile to contribute. Although that is sometimes the case (Check out all of my posts), some of the new folks have a lot to offer.

So which is it? Anything discussed over a month ago is considered settled? Or can old threads be resurrected without shrieking and the rending of garments?

I've been here for quite a while, don't know if I'm a vet or not, but I welcome all n00bs! If it's a simple question to answer, I find joy in helping someone else out that doesn't know previous knowledge I learned on the board or through books or other research.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18:30 AM »

Precisely.  If we're adopting the philosophy that 'serious scholarly work' goes on here and thus old points of discussion are no longer valid, then would-be-members should have to submit a resume and have it approved by a panel before being able to contribute.  And that would be lame.

Don't forget where we are:  the internet.  This is a message board for fans of 'The Beach Boys'.  We're not curing cancer.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »

First off, I'm a girl, secondly, how do you know that I try to inflate my post count? Do you have an ability to read people's minds? Of course, you can't think that I just enjoy writing, without any other sly idea. Come on, what's wrong with these threads I revived? I think there's no harm. I'm very tired of all this "blame". Why not be friends?

I've enjoyed some of the old threads getting "revived" (zombie threads?), having missed them the first time around.  It's interesting to read fresh takes on old subjects, and better than creating more threads.

But also, if the Mods can merge other new threads into more logical places, I'm all for that too.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »

The Noobs are OK by me. I love seeing people taking an interest in the Boys' music. I have to say that I'd rather see an old thread re-opened than cluttering the board with new ones on the same subjects. It can be tough doing some searches in here.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00:13 PM »

I think people are sort of getting hung up on all the wrong points here, and confusing the actual issue.

It's not like I'm actually upset about it, and to try and make this just about how we dislike new people is stupid. That's not what anyone is complaining about.

I hate discussing stuff like this because it really is so silly. I think we all recognize that. But both points of view are completely valid. Personally, I don't like seeing multiple, similar threads all resurrected at once just so somebody can add their opinion to a discussion that ended a long time ago.

These threads aren't really stone tablets brought down by Moses, they're discussions. For the most part they existed in a particular moment and a particular set of circumstances. You don't have to rush off to chisel in your opinion at the bottom of the tablet just because it's there. Especially when all you can add is just a list of your favorite band members with no commentary. If you want to start a discussion, do so by making a new thread and put a little bit of thought into it.

When everyone just talks over one another in order to provide their list of favorite whatevers the board devolves into noise. I mean, it's really just such a common sensical thing. Just use a little judgement, a little self control. Do things in moderation. There's nothing inherently wrong with posting in an old thread, but why do you have to post in three? Temper yourself a little, your actions are annoying other members of the board.

And that's not an insult against you, nobody dislikes you as a person. Nobody hates noobs, we're just annoyed at some of the excessive posting habits on display recently. If you want to post in an old thread, that's cool, but couldn't you show a little regard for how other members of the community feel? Couldn't you say "oh, I already bumped an old thread recently, that's probably enough for now."

I honestly don't think that's especially unreasonable. Nobody is saying you aren't allowed to post what you want, we're just asking you to show a little consideration for the other people who may not be into the same thing as you are. I don't get what's so outrageous about that...

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »

I don't think RangeRoverA1 is polluting the board at all. Let's remember that the Beach Boys love all girls and wish they all could be...well, you know the rest! If RR's avatar is actually her own picture, then we should all be a lot nicer!! And if it's not--RR: "Girl Don't Tell Me"....  Grin

Also, please keep this kind of stuff out of here, it's just creepy. I've noticed that whenever we have a girl posting here, people can't control themselves and things get carried away to the point of melodrama. I know, it's novel that there's a girl posting here, super awesome, but if want to flirt, take it to private messages or something.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 12:18:16 AM »

The Noobs are OK by me. I love seeing people taking an interest in the Boys' music. I have to say that I'd rather see an old thread re-opened than cluttering the board with new ones on the same subjects. It can be tough doing some searches in here.

I feel the same way, actually.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 01:21:11 AM »

You're all on notice. The other mods and I are going to be watching the board a bit more closely from now on. If new threads with little to no substance, rehashed topics, or simple questions are being posted, we're going to reserve the right to merge those threads with related threads on the same topic, or in runnersdialzero's "insignificant questions" thread. Just in case anyone's thread mysteriously disappears, you'll know why.
Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 04:31:40 AM »

You're all on notice. The other mods and I are going to be watching the board a bit more closely from now on. If new threads with little to no substance, rehashed topics, or simple questions are being posted, we're going to reserve the right to merge those threads with related threads on the same topic, or in runnersdialzero's "insignificant questions" thread. Just in case anyone's thread mysteriously disappears, you'll know why.

police
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 06:21:26 AM »

Also, please keep this kind of stuff out of here, it's just creepy. I've noticed that whenever we have a girl posting here, people can't control themselves and things get carried away to the point of melodrama. I know, it's novel that there's a girl posting here, super awesome, but if want to flirt, take it to private messages or something.

I'm glad somebody pointed this out. I agree, very creepy.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 08:22:58 AM »

I thought as long as it was on topic it was welcome.

I've been posting here and on previous BB boards for many years, beginning with the Cabin chatroom.  I can't remember everything that  has or has not been discussed before.  On occasions, I have  asked  a question or offered a comment and someone will direct me to athread where it has already been covered thoroughly.  I will go back and read those.  Often very informative and revealing info has been well covered and my BB mental encyclopedia is enlarged.

But we should be patient with those more casual  fans who aren't walking BB  historians.

And sometimes, those "small topic " threads are entertaining.

What is truly unfortunate is when people stop posting altogether as has happened to some formerly really good BB boards.

Then where do we go?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »

Good proactive move IMO, I'd also suggest being as proactive with those who have a history of launching personal attacks, name-calling, and other crap that goes beyond a normal heated or intense debate, or even back and forth jibs and jabs. A bunch of spam topics that go nowhere are an annoyance, but I'd say less of a harm than those attacks especially for those who might not have a thick skin. My 2 cents.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »

Good proactive move IMO, I'd also suggest being as proactive with those who have a history of launching personal attacks, name-calling, and other crap that goes beyond a normal heated or intense debate, or even back and forth jibs and jabs. A bunch of spam topics that go nowhere are an annoyance, but I'd say less of a harm than those attacks especially for those who might not have a thick skin. My 2 cents.
I think that almost anybody that comes in here anew either grows a thick skin fast or takes off into the woods as fast as their feet will take them. It can be a nasty place for the uninitiated. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »

Can you be a bit more prejudiced, hypocritical and condescending ?

Just wondering..... nothing personal.

Smokin

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »

I'm an occasional writer, more a reader. Still since finding the message board have a habit of reading some 5-3 year old threads mixed up with the newest for seeking the answers to my questions and learning about the band. That's all. I mean, it's okay if someone revives oldies but there's no way I would one of those people. As I said I'm more of an observer/reader.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 01:13:37 AM »

Can you be a bit more prejudiced, hypocritical and condescending ?

Just wondering..... nothing personal.

Smokin

Crap always gets out of hand, that's just the way it's been as long as I've been reading here. There was a big fragmentation of the community over just this type of thing years back. Recently there was Denni's Child, who stirred up a bunch of crap. I don't know where the prejudice or hypocrisy comes in, but sorry I would just really encourage people to steer away from that type of thing. It's like as soon as we find out a poster is a girl, certain members won't be able to stop themselves from...well, you know...

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »

I think the bottom line here is that everybody, I mean EVERYBODY needs to be careful about how they post their comments.  Writing what's on your mind can translate a lot differently when read by others, as opposed to casually speaking it in a conversation.  If you type in something cute and quaint as if you're speaking it, there's a chance it might read as something inappropriate.  There are so many situations where this can happen.  Friendly sarcasm can come across as an insulting assault.

Best thing to do is read your post carefully before you hit that 'post' button.   Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: