-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435411 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 20, 2020, 07:32:41 PM »

I have moved to a little town in southern Mississippi, in the woods, and live next  door to my sister, her husband, and two horses.
We are still getting things out of my Mother’s house in New Orleans. There are lots of things that we can’t take. Mom collected a lot of little statues. None of us have room for those, plus my cats would just love to knock them over.
It’s a “tale of two cities” re the coronavirus. I had to go into town to get the oil changed in the car and get a couple of items. Virtually no one was wearing masks or keeping distance. However, when I go to New Orleans tomorrow I will be required to wear a mask whenever entering a building or being around a group of people.

I like different periods of Jazz. I like the traditional, Louis Armstrong - his song West End Blues is one of my all time favorites. I also like swing such as Benny Goodman.  Also Dave Brubeck - he’s the only popular music composer other than Brian Wilson who can make me cry (tears of joy). Early Miles Davis. Singers such as Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday..

Used to watch and enjoy Password when growing up in the 60s, with Allen Ludden.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:18:49 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: July 04, 2020, 09:11:03 AM »

Have given up trying to convince people to wear a mask in public, that it’s not some sort of “Communist plot.”
So have been listening to the Satellite Sixties channel - they are playing the Top 200 American artists of the 60s as voted on by listeners. It’s taking a while to get through them as they are playing up to 3 songs by each artist or group.
Artists heard so far that are BB related in some way are Dick Dale, Chris Montez, The Walker Brothers.
They are at I believe 58 now. Cher singing her “Bang Bang” song.
Not complaining but they included The Band on the list. Maybe because the lead singer for the 2 songs (Levon Helm) is American.
So many good groups and singers left. Where will The Beach Boys end up? And what 3 songs will they play?

Fourth of July. By myself in the woods with the dog and cats. Ate ramen (good stuff, not the cheap grocery store stuff) and a couple of peaches for breakfast. Probably some sausage and a baked potato for lunch. Wish I could get some watermelon.

Bobby Vinton singing “Mr Lonely” now...

Update: Jan and Dean came in at 37. Played Little Old Lady..., Popsicle, Surf City
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:13:24 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 01, 2020, 03:14:26 AM »

Have given up trying to convince people to wear a mask in public, that it’s not some sort of “Communist plot.”
So have been listening to the Satellite Sixties channel - they are playing the Top 200 American artists of the 60s as voted on by listeners. It’s taking a while to get through them as they are playing up to 3 songs by each artist or group.
Artists heard so far that are BB related in some way are Dick Dale, Chris Montez, The Walker Brothers.
They are at I believe 58 now. Cher singing her “Bang Bang” song.
Not complaining but they included The Band on the list. Maybe because the lead singer for the 2 songs (Levon Helm) is American.
So many good groups and singers left. Where will The Beach Boys end up? And what 3 songs will they play?

Fourth of July. By myself in the woods with the dog and cats. Ate ramen (good stuff, not the cheap grocery store stuff) and a couple of peaches for breakfast. Probably some sausage and a baked potato for lunch. Wish I could get some watermelon.

Bobby Vinton singing “Mr Lonely” now...

Update: Jan and Dean came in at 37. Played Little Old Lady..., Popsicle, Surf City

Hi Lizzie. Saw this out of the corner of my eye. Well? Which three songs did they play? Please stay safe.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1228 on: August 01, 2020, 05:15:28 AM »

Spent six hours yesterday going through old songs and ended up releasing a compilation of our first decade as a band (next year we’re releasing a boxed set to celebrate our twentieth). I think this week total I spent about 3/4 of my free time working on music and the other 1/4 on this board.

I’m taking a “me” day today LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 01, 2020, 08:34:57 AM »

“Me” days are great, Billy!

John, hope all is okay with you and your family. Haven’t heard anything about the virus situation in The Netherlands and assume (hope) that means it’s not too bad right now.

Trying to stay safe and not get depressed about my relatives who believe in various “conspiracy theories.”

Hope to get more into Brian Jones when things settle down. I’ve moved things from my old house to where I am now. So many things in bags and boxes, it’s overwhelming. Some of it consists of things related to my parents that I agreed to take. My sisters said they didn’t have room. Neither do I, but hate to part with them. One is an old rocking chair that has been used for generations to rock babies to sleep. It makes a soothing “creak “ noise when rocked. Oh, the dilemma...

As for The Beach Boys, they finished first. They played three obvious songs (GOK, Surfin USA, GV) but finished with a bit of a surprise, Caroline, No.

Wonder what’s happened to Range Rover? Hope she’s okay. Saw something yesterday that made me think of her - a photo of pizza topped with pickles, her favorite. :-)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:37:16 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: August 01, 2020, 03:08:01 PM »

“Me” days are great, Billy!

John, hope all is okay with you and your family. Haven’t heard anything about the virus situation in The Netherlands and assume (hope) that means it’s not too bad right now.

Trying to stay safe and not get depressed about my relatives who believe in various “conspiracy theories.”

Hope to get more into Brian Jones when things settle down. I’ve moved things from my old house to where I am now. So many things in bags and boxes, it’s overwhelming. Some of it consists of things related to my parents that I agreed to take. My sisters said they didn’t have room. Neither do I, but hate to part with them. One is an old rocking chair that has been used for generations to rock babies to sleep. It makes a soothing “creak “ noise when rocked. Oh, the dilemma...

As for The Beach Boys, they finished first. They played three obvious songs (GOK, Surfin USA, GV) but finished with a bit of a surprise, Caroline, No.

Wonder what’s happened to Range Rover? Hope she’s okay. Saw something yesterday that made me think of her - a photo of pizza topped with pickles, her favorite. :-)

Good to hear from you, Lizzie. And good to be back in a sort of a way. Grin

Assuming my spies haven't got their knickers in a twist this time, RR has been active at Facebook recently. I hope she's okay too in these alarming times.

So you've retreated from the world (such as it is). We're all okay (thank you!), although we in NL have our fair share of stupid people too, those who flaunt the rules and wonder why the virus is flaring up here and there...

Hang on in there, E. Wow, that pizza sounds great! 

Hey Billy, good to hear Fear 2 Stop's faring well. I trust you and yours (and Jay) are all okay.  Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1231 on: August 01, 2020, 05:57:58 PM »

Yeah can’t complain too much. COVID has been kicking my ass a bit but doing better past two days. Thankfully the family hasn’t gotten it

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 03, 2020, 02:10:07 AM »

Yeah can’t complain too much. COVID has been kicking my ass a bit but doing better past two days. Thankfully the family hasn’t gotten it

Man, you got slammed by COVID? Shocked Hope you shake the mf off soon. It must be a great relief that your family has been spared.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 09, 2020, 09:00:09 AM »

Hello everybody. How's you all been?  Smiley Forget everytime that Smiley's got the best smileys.  3D Stay healthy Billy. Puzzled that people here even rmbr me. Usually nobody cares about things I write, ha. Anyhoo, thanks to be interested about this poster. Sweet. I been at FB, frequenting it many times a day. It's been joy there, got many likes (in the fave FB group to boot, dedicated to the fave What's My Line TV game), cool discussions, cat pics, SF pics page, general California pages etc. Really eventful, it's difficult to keep up with funness at FB, new 20-50 posts in few hrs' matter. It's little annoying to smb. who likes to keep track of everything; good appetite about it, you see.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 21, 2020, 10:10:39 AM »

Watching the weather. People down here are becoming acquainted with the “Fujiwhara Effect” . Fascinating watching it way out in the Pacific Ocean. Not sure about it happening in the Gulf of Mexico. These next days might get pretty interesting  Shocked

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 27, 2020, 01:37:20 PM »

Watching the weather. People down here are becoming acquainted with the “Fujiwhara Effect” . Fascinating watching it way out in the Pacific Ocean. Not sure about it happening in the Gulf of Mexico. These next days might get pretty interesting  Shocked

Please stay safe out there, Lizzie. The prospects are not good right now. I hope and pray you've managed to get to a secure place. Please let us know how you are.

Billy, Jay, everyone who has to weather this storm -- please stay safe, you hear?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: August 27, 2020, 06:54:58 PM »

Hello, thanks for your concern.
The storm ended up hitting in the far western corner of Louisiana, so we didn’t get much from it fortunately. We did get some tidal flooding in the usual places that are always affected when a tropical system goes by but not severe. Just waiting for the rain bands to end. They won’t stop affecting us until the remnants of the hurricane move to the northeast of us (it’s due north now). There are rain bands that extend from the main part of the storm all the way well into the Gulf of Mexico. We just had one go through now and am expecting a heavy band tomorrow morning. Getting caught under those bands can result in some serious flooding. So hopefully it will get through quickly and things will improve. Ha, ha, do you know what popped into my head? “Things will improve and then we’ll have world peace.”  Grin

My church in New Orleans is collecting items for people who came to town getting away from the storm. Mainly items like “nappies” and games for the children, snacks and other items. So I’ll go to the store to buy these items. Other churches here are collecting food items. They will bring items to the affected areas and cook meals. We just feel really fortunate to be spared. Saturday is the 15th anniversary of the Storm That Shall Not Be Named...

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: October 30, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »

Got through the latest storm, Zeta. Was a doozy. Fortunately I only lost power for 8 hours.  Got “survivor’s guilt” after finding out that all my friends and relatives in the area were still without power (two have since gotten power back). My Mom’s house which is for sale has a whole house generator, so is the only one in her neighborhood with power. I opened the utility room area and told the neighbors on each side to feel free to go there to charge items up. When I’m there they can come in to the main part of the house if they wish to cook things.
Hope power comes back soon. Heard that it could be a week or more . The election is next Tuesday - where will people vote if the polling places don’t have power?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 10, 2020, 07:00:58 PM »

Hello Elizabeth. How's you?

People at FB whine that they got Christmas music playing right now. Roll Eyes Seriously?? Lucky they!!! C'mon, Christmas songs can be played at summer too, it's whole year fun!!! 3D

People like that really weird me out. *facepalm*
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:01:26 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 12, 2020, 10:07:34 AM »

I’m doing okay. Days spent playing with dog. Cats are not in playing mood. One, Tanner the Tabby, has all of a sudden become very clingy, following me around the house. Wish I could get into her mind.
With all the stuff going on, if people want to hear Christmas music now, or July, why not?
 I can play songs on my IPad for alarms. Usually pick short songs. When the temperature got hot during the summer, I set an alarm to Little Saint Nick. Thought that might help me feel cooler  Grin
How are you doing? You have two cats now? More?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 13, 2020, 07:54:43 AM »

Yep, Lil St. Nick is year-round classic. 3D Hey I'm fine, thanks. 2 cats, didn't decide to get next cat...yet.😺 Would be cool. Give squeeze-hug to Tanner Tabby. Who did you vote, btw? Biden? Trump? Jorgensen? Smb. else? Who really took victory? It's puzzling, everybody say different results.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 18, 2020, 10:44:46 AM »

Every indication is that Biden won. I think Trump is being a crybaby, throwing temper tantrums, and most of the Republicans are enabling him. Not because they care for him, but to cover their own backsides.
Meanwhile the country suffers. Nothing is being done on the national level about the virus. Every area in the country is trying to muddle by on its own.
My youngest sister works at a major hospital in Asheville, North Carolina. She is scheduled to work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. Then she gets  7 days off. She’s now working 14 hours, no breaks for lunch, seeing more patients a day then she’s supposed to. She wears an N95 special mask. Those are supposed to be changed after seeing a patient. The same mask has to be worn all day, with a surgical mask and face shield over that. At the end of the day the N95 mask is cleaned and reused. There is a chemical used in cleaning the mask - it has such a strong smell that she gets headaches.
She was supposed to be off this week but will have to work the night shift the next two nights. This is due to a nurse shortage, over 200 still needed to fully staff the hospital.
Much of this mess is because Trump refuses to say that people should wear a mask. 
Having argument with another sister who doesn’t think we need to wear masks. Thanksgiving, a big family holiday in the US, is next week. I will probably skip it mainly because I don’t want to get into an argument with her. Will give my pets extra treats . BooBoo the dog loves sweet potatoes.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 19, 2020, 07:56:08 AM »

Shout-out to your baby sister. 3D Good worker.
Who did you vote? Is it secret? police Few people in youtube refuse to say who they voted - "Sorry guys I shan't tell who it is I voted". It puzzles big time when they don't tell it. It's easy, folks, you just tell name.😄

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 20, 2020, 05:39:53 AM »

Voted for Biden. Not my ideal choice but he at least seems to want to take the virus seriously.
And he doesn’t tweet.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: