-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:35:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435524 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: April 12, 2020, 01:55:36 PM »

It’s Easter Sunday for western Christians. Very strange all around. Think it’s the first time not eating Easter dinner with anyone . Just me and the animals. Dinner was a baked potato topped with cheese and ham.
Church was on TV (or could have watched on internet) as services aren’t allowed now. Saw the service from our Cathedral with our Archbishop officiating. I had seen him almost a month ago at an earlier TV Mass. He didn’t look well and he found out the next day that he had the virus. He recovered and looked a lot better today. He and a Rabbi flew a few days ago in a vintage World War II plane, blessing the city.
Waiting for some possible bad weather over the next few hours. Hope it won’t be too bad .
RR, if you don’t like heat, don’t ever decide to live in Texas! Or Alabama! The other areas have hot spells but occasional cool downs happen in the summer. Or at least it cools a bit at night.
And JohnK, what better song to play than “Go Now”. You better GO NOW! Virus , get out, now!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 13, 2020, 03:51:25 AM »

It’s Easter Sunday for western Christians. Very strange all around. Think it’s the first time not eating Easter dinner with anyone . Just me and the animals. Dinner was a baked potato topped with cheese and ham.
Church was on TV (or could have watched on internet) as services aren’t allowed now. Saw the service from our Cathedral with our Archbishop officiating. I had seen him almost a month ago at an earlier TV Mass. He didn’t look well and he found out the next day that he had the virus. He recovered and looked a lot better today. He and a Rabbi flew a few days ago in a vintage World War II plane, blessing the city.
Waiting for some possible bad weather over the next few hours. Hope it won’t be too bad .
RR, if you don’t like heat, don’t ever decide to live in Texas! Or Alabama! The other areas have hot spells but occasional cool downs happen in the summer. Or at least it cools a bit at night.
And JohnK, what better song to play than “Go Now”. You better GO NOW! Virus , get out, now!

Good to hear you're okay, Lizzie. Yes, strange times. Wonderful uplifting story about your Archbishop--I'm glad to hear he's recovered.

Fingers crossed about your weather. Here it's got cold all of a sudden--but at least the sun's come out again.

And yes, that's exactly what the friend who requested "Go Now" said! Grin       

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 13, 2020, 04:10:16 PM »

Say, what's with Americans fearing weather, saying it's bad weather, celebrating good weather? Read each day's forecast but don't panic (or be too joyful, accept it as usual type thing). Little bit icily coldness (vs. too high-strung) will help people if they put that attitude in brains.

Well can't you answer question about paper-collecting in U.S., Nola? Why paper? Again, in which way is it useful to sanitize hands against cv19? It ain't sanitizer right? Then why people fight about it in shops? It didn't get any bacteria-killing ingredients, did it?

Ha, I wouldn't like to live in state with terrible song written about it "Sweet Home Alabama". That band, song - cheesefest, hello.

Like "Yesterday" choice the best (Moody Blues, like Doors, isn't cool music by this listener's definition).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 13, 2020, 08:33:25 PM »

There was a good reason for being afraid of the nasty weather. It turned out okay where I was but about 70 km from there and at other places were very strong tornadoes - at least 18 people were killed.*
Of course the paper doesn’t protect against the virus . It was “panic buying” thinking that people wouldn’t be able to leave their homes for a long time. It was ridiculous how some people would buy as many paper products that they could get away with then try to sell on EBay, basically the Black Market. Thankfully some of them were arrested.
I like Lynyrd Skynyrd but don’t care for the song “Sweet Home Alabama”.

* Update - more than 30 deaths  :-(
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:35:16 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 15, 2020, 04:05:46 AM »

There was a good reason for being afraid of the nasty weather. It turned out okay where I was but about 70 km from there and at other places were very strong tornadoes - at least 18 people were killed.*
Of course the paper doesn’t protect against the virus . It was “panic buying” thinking that people wouldn’t be able to leave their homes for a long time. It was ridiculous how some people would buy as many paper products that they could get away with then try to sell on EBay, basically the Black Market. Thankfully some of them were arrested.

Those folks deserve massive fines, if not prison sentences, for such barbaric behaviour.

I heard about the tornadoes--horrific! just what everyone needs on top of everything else. Stay safe, Lizzie.

As for me, the next balcony concert will be short and sweet (last week's was a little too long), just a medley of Simon & Garfunkel's "Kathy's Song" and "April Come She Will".

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 15, 2020, 05:22:13 PM »

One never knows what might happen with the evening music making.
Heard a story on BBC World Service about a woman in Italy playing her violin on her balcony. A woman across the street came out on her balcony to listen and noticed a man standing next to her. She saw him, he saw her... and as the song says, “That’s Amore!” And to top it off, this happened in Verona :-)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 16, 2020, 02:03:20 AM »

One never knows what might happen with the evening music making.
Heard a story on BBC World Service about a woman in Italy playing her violin on her balcony. A woman across the street came out on her balcony to listen and noticed a man standing next to her. She saw him, he saw her... and as the song says, “That’s Amore!” And to top it off, this happened in Verona :-)

That's heart-warming! Unfortunately our mirrored pairs of back gardens are long and you'd need binoculars to see anybody through the trees! And it ain't Verona. Nice thought though.

I hope RR gets back to us soon and it's just a sabbatical. That was such a kind gesture of hers, posting that Russian melody (plus info) across the road.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 18, 2020, 02:10:02 PM »

As for me, the next balcony concert will be short and sweet (last week's was a little too long), just a medley of Simon & Garfunkel's "Kathy's Song" and "April Come She Will".

It's quite a challenge trying to play songs accompanied by acoustic guitar on a keyboard! That said, they didn't go too badly.

Next week I'm doing a Beatles medley--my choice this time. Wink

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 21, 2020, 06:53:58 PM »

Well here you go again...I meant generally you Americans really each day check degrees, blizzard, count snow inches (really?) & just get sad about it (who knew it affects mood...). With respect (kinda) but i's difficult to fathom. There is cat page in FB doing weather report which should be instead sharing cat pics & cat news. It's really dull & bizarre that cat page (*cat* page) would tell about it.  People dislike snow in U.S. it looks like. Why? I really like it despite hating big time white color.
Yes, glad they been arrested, serves bastards right. police

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 24, 2020, 10:56:34 AM »

Yesterday I emptied a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle onto one of my work tables and today I made a tentative start on it (between bouts of work).

The interesting think about this puzzle is that the picture on the front and rear of the box shows you the situation as it is now. The puzzle when complete will show you what happens next!

I have two weeks before my son and his family return from a holiday in a cottage deep in the country. Then it's their turn to solve the mystery--with no help from me, needless to say. Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 25, 2020, 02:10:24 PM »

It's quite a challenge trying to play songs accompanied by acoustic guitar on a keyboard! That said, they didn't go too badly.

Next week I'm doing a Beatles medley--my choice this time. Wink

The medley worked better than the Paul Simon songs:

"Golden Slumbers"
"The Fool On The Hill"
"Let It Be"
"Lady Madonna"
"Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da"

Next week: A Stones medley. Wink

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1211 on: April 26, 2020, 11:11:19 PM »

I’ve been reading Brian’s book, for the first time. I was a bit trepidatious before about reading it, I’m not sure why now, exactly. It’s a damn fine book. I love that parts of it are like the day in the life of Brian, a la Busy Doin’ Nothin’. I’ll probably post a review of it once I’m done.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 28, 2020, 02:49:36 AM »

I’ve been reading Brian’s book, for the first time. I was a bit trepidatious before about reading it, I’m not sure why now, exactly. It’s a damn fine book. I love that parts of it are like the day in the life of Brian, a la Busy Doin’ Nothin’. I’ll probably post a review of it once I’m done.

I have Mike's book, although it took a while for me to start on it (a bit like you, I suppose). Once I did, I thought it was a great read.

My pallid excuse for not having or reading Brian's is that I already have a BW "autobiography". It was a great read too (if a little biased in a particular direction). Grin 

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1213 on: May 05, 2020, 08:43:01 AM »

I watched the Netflix mini series Waco yesterday, I guess it was released two years earlier but I didn’t see it then.
Jesus Christ. I was almost 14 at the time and I remember watching the Waco siege on TV, and everything I knew about what happened, who David Koresh and his followers were and what the ATF and FBI were doing, but this series opened my eyes. I had no idea. I had no idea. I really want to read both Waco survivor David Thibodeau and former FBI Negotiator Gary Noesner’s books, which the mini series was based on. Man...

As for today, I’m busy doin’ nothin’.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:43:44 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 05, 2020, 09:09:38 AM »

I remember the build up to that fateful day well. The ATF going in and people getting injured or killed. Trying to get the people to leave loud unpleasant music was blasted over loudspeakers.
There was a news segment about the people in the compound. One of those featured was David Thibodeau who played drums in Koresh’s band. Having a face put on one of the members- glad when I found out that he was one of the few survivors.
On the fateful day I was having lunch at my parent’s house. They lived very close to where I worked so would often go there. The TV was on and a news bulletin came on around 12:30 central time. The compound was on fire. So tragic, especially all the children lost.
The Government should have thought it through more but guess they were impatient to end this.
I’ll watch the series to see their take on it

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: May 06, 2020, 06:01:31 PM »

I'm glad we didn't get Netflix here. Phew, thank goodness. Anyhoo, discussion should be in Movies thread folks. police
Discovered yesterday the Lucy TV series featuring Lucille Ball. Knew her b4 due to "What's My Line?" TV game mystery guest visits (as you know, it's THE favorite - & the greatest 3D - TV game, like it a lot). She's funny lady, funnier than everybody else in the series. But, maybe they're fine, ha. Incidentally, she & her husband Desi Arnaz = good-looking pair, vs. when just half of pair looks good, the other being meh.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 07, 2020, 06:02:33 AM »

Discovered yesterday the Lucy TV series featuring Lucille Ball. Knew her b4 due to "What's My Line?" TV game mystery guest visits (as you know, it's THE favorite - & the greatest 3D - TV game, like it a lot). She's funny lady, funnier than everybody else in the series. But, maybe they're fine, ha. Incidentally, she & her husband Desi Arnaz = good-looking pair, vs. when just half of pair looks good, the other being meh.

I remember watching a UK rerun of I Love Lucy in the early '60s. Great fun! I gather it was later revived as The Lucy Show (remember that too) because she and Desi had split up by then.

You don't have Netflix in Russia? My wife and I have chosen not to watch it here in NL--you have to pay extra and there's simply far too much to choose from! Shocked

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 08, 2020, 07:39:30 PM »

I Love Lucy was before my time but has been available forever here in the States as reruns. It’s pretty difficult to not find that show on a television station even today . The Lucy Show,  which didn’t have Desi, ran for a number of years when I was a kid.
I don’t remember the name of the episode, but my favorite from I Love Lucy is when she somehow got into the chorus line at one of Ricky’s shows and she had to take a ballet class. A clip can be seen online- look up “I Love Lucy ballet .” Really funny physical comedy.

A lightning strike right outside the house “fried” my modem so I don’t have WiFi or internet. Just what I can get over my phone and I don’t have unlimited data so it’s costing me extra. So have been reading and listening to the birds. I’ll get another modem early next week.

I’m a big fan of banjoist Béla Fleck and usually watch him and his family do a “Banjo House Lockdown” on FB on Friday nights. I wouldn’t have been able to watch it due to its hour length. But tonight they decided to take the night off - they did a cute rendition of - Kokomo.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1218 on: May 08, 2020, 07:44:36 PM »

Been watching YouTube videos and episodes of My 600 pound life. About to go work on some more music

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 09, 2020, 06:01:16 PM »

Hello Billy. Happy weekends to you with fam.

Zero Netflix here. Happy that they didn't bring it here, hate viciously to pay big bucks to see 2-3 TV series/films. If they redesignated it to fit cheapskates & utilitarians like I - hail Netflix. But today, it's meh.

It ain't puzzling that Lucy's still popular in America, it's high quality humor. 3D Dislike accents in many foreigners, yet I liked Desi's (the other fave is Nico, Velvet Underground singer's). Btw, he looks better than Desi-jr. Ditto Lucille is beautiful, Lucie's nice. Beautiful talented parents with plain kids.

People who enjoy birds amaze. Here in streets doves get fed by passers-by. Birds' singing doesn't impress this listener. Indifferent except when bird is food.

Been checking with "Lucy..." good goofy series "WKRP In Cincinnati". It stars Howard Hesseman, he looks young in series but in mid-80s he looks to be 60 in "Police Academy-2" when he then should look 40-plus instead. Is it popular still too, Nola? Did you see it as kid?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 12, 2020, 02:06:41 AM »

Lil addition about Lucy series: Lucy does such cuuuute face when she cries, waaay too cute. I'd like to hug her, pinch cheeks with greaaat strength & torture her. :D Btw, there's ep dubbed "Ceramic Cat" (we in Russia read 1st word as "keramik"). Cat statue/figurine looks really psychedelic, bizarre, it ain't typical cat face/shape, as if Picasso/smb. eccentric built it. It's cool. 3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WvGd20PuT_w

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 12, 2020, 03:35:53 AM »

Lil addition about Lucy series: Lucy does such cuuuute face when she cries, waaay too cute. I'd like to hug her, pinch cheeks with greaaat strength & torture her. :D Btw, there's ep dubbed "Ceramic Cat" (we in Russia read 1st word as "keramik"). Cat statue/figurine looks really psychedelic, bizarre, it ain't typical cat face/shape, as if Picasso/smb. eccentric built it. It's cool. 3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WvGd20PuT_w

LOL

And that "cat"--oh goodness. Your description is perfect!  Smiley

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1222 on: May 12, 2020, 09:23:03 AM »

My daughter actually did an I love Lucy marathon last night.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: May 14, 2020, 02:29:54 AM »

People who enjoy birds amaze. Here in streets doves get fed by passers-by. Birds' singing doesn't impress this listener. Indifferent except when bird is food.

Been checking with "Lucy..." good goofy series "WKRP In Cincinnati". It stars Howard Hesseman, he looks young in series but in mid-80s he looks to be 60 in "Police Academy-2" when he then should look 40-plus instead. Is it popular still too, Nola? Did you see it as kid?

LOL, you are truly a “cat lady!”
I didn’t watch WKRP when it was on even though it was popular. Also didn’t watch other popular shows such as The Brady Bunch. We only had one television so it was what my parents (especially my Mom) wanted to watch . She liked the many variety shows that were on - Glen Campbell, Sonny & Cher, The Captain and Tenille...

Still don’t have modem. It was delivered by mistake to a place 30 km away. I will supposedly be getting one eventually. But I did watch a webinar about Jazz during World War II that was quite informative. Then later another about local history that was fascinating. Then my phone company sent a text stating that they were charging me 15 dollars because I used too much data.

The World War II webinar mentioned saxophonist Marshall Allen, who later played with Sun Ra. Decided to listen to “Space is the Place.”
All 21 minutes of jazzy craziness . Totally wacky but it made me laugh , and my pets didn’t attack me so they were cool with it as well.,. :-)

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 20, 2020, 02:48:55 PM »

Do you live right now with sister? Did you settle/move things to her house? What's going in Nola's little planet? 3D

Which jazz records/CDs did you buy & regard the best you listened to?

Been checking "Password"/"Password Plus"/"Super-Password" games in youtube this week. Especially classic 60s. It & WML = the best TV games.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:58:31 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: