-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:23:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435518 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: January 27, 2020, 03:11:34 AM »

Very busy with work right now (and the odd spot of lobbying). Back at full strength later. Wink
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:12:49 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 31, 2020, 02:13:45 AM »

Very busy with work right now (and the odd spot of lobbying). Back at full strength later. Wink

Still hectic. My apologies to anyone I've omitted to answer over the past few days.  Sad

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 06, 2020, 01:34:21 PM »

Still hectic. My apologies to anyone I've omitted to answer over the past few days.  Sad

The work's finally done. Back at full strength tomorrow. Cool

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 12, 2020, 05:37:29 AM »

I finally had the time and energy to resume cleaning the bookshelves in the shirk-room, with the 123-video channel of Baroque music blasting out, just to keep me on my toes.

It also gave me time to think: about the book I'd just been working on and the complete lack of involvement by the publisher (the Management Society rears its ugly head); about Joshilyn's "Power Mower" campaign and how I hope it gets back into gear soon; and about Lizzie and RangeRover, who I hope will pop into this half of the forum more regularly than they have of late. Wink

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 12, 2020, 01:38:45 PM »

Hi I’m having problems getting on this site. It doesn’t load or I get message saying site is ‘not secure.’
I’m moving a LOT of books from one place to another. Have to decide what books to not take with me. In addition there are lots of books already at the place I’m moving to that need to be dealt with. Most I don’t want.
Will have to somehow get my bookcases to the new place. Then I hope to organize books in some kind of system - spirituality , music, history , cookbooks, etc.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 12, 2020, 02:07:23 PM »

Hi I’m having problems getting on this site. It doesn’t load or I get message saying site is ‘not secure.’
I’m moving a LOT of books from one place to another. Have to decide what books to not take with me. In addition there are lots of books already at the place I’m moving to that need to be dealt with. Most I don’t want.
Will have to somehow get my bookcases to the new place. Then I hope to organize books in some kind of system - spirituality , music, history , cookbooks, etc.

Hi Lizzie.

I've had that "not secure/go back" message for a number of sites (luckily not this one). I've found I can solve this problem by changing browser (in my case from Safari to Google Chrome, which I have in reserve) and then they behave themselves. Not sure why that is--that said, I haven't had that message in a while.

Moving books can be hard work but organizing them is a pleasure! Good luck with the move. Wink

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 21, 2020, 07:40:16 AM »

Our birthday present for our granddaughter, who turned nine yesterday, was a trip to Museum Speelklok in Utrecht, a fascinating place for all ages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5TmNHoV1F0

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 04, 2020, 10:33:59 AM »

I spent much of yesterday (while this section of the forum was down) cleaning our range cooker inside and out--it had been turned off for its annual checkup--followed by a meal in a local restaurant.

The cleaning operation is always quite extensive: fat collects and hardens on the hot upper surface throughout the year and the only way to remove it is with a sharp blade (much like a razor blade), wielded rather carefully so as to prevent scratches.

So that combined with the meal  Beer knocked me out for the remainder of the evening! Grin

Good to see this section back up and running. Wink

SBonilla
« Reply #1183 on: March 04, 2020, 11:27:50 AM »

Recorded a song improvisation. Fretted. Walked a mile to retrieve some orders. Fb'd and twittered here 'n there, stopped in my three bb5 spots, had lunch. Still going.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1184 on: March 04, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »

I created a little song intended for an electric piano-semi-ballad I have on mind
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:18:13 PM by DeanEntwistle » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: March 06, 2020, 04:21:05 PM »

Went to many different cat events in different local cities & towns, been jury few times, really liked judging, it's really cool thing to do. Met cool peeps, nice cat ladies & gentlemen, feline fans like big fam. Got back yesterday with souvenirs & pancakes (you know, the past week been Maslenitsa, national yearly week-long celebrations in streets & houses with pancake degustations). In meantime friend Sonya took care about brother cats despite disliking cats generally. But she's good gal, they look healthy, zero bruises.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: March 13, 2020, 09:37:47 AM »

Everybody at FB talks about "coronavirus", "covid-19". Puzzled what they mean but reads like it's really serious issue recently.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 13, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »

One of my sisters used to raise Himalayan cats and show them . She had different names for them - the first were named after opera characters - Mimi, or Pinky (for Pinkerton) . The last bunch had names such as Twinkle and Windy, The last of those cats a sweet baby called Sunny, passed away recently . She now has some “regular” cats , not any particular breed,

Oh boy. Covid-19. It’s s type of corona virus ( the mildest of which is the common cold). It’s ‘19’ because that’s the year it was discovered - apparently late last year.
It’s deadlier than influenza and there is no vaccine. The elderly are particularly at risk. Everything’s shutting down here . All schools are closed for the next few weeks here. Although children so far haven’t gotten sick but it’s feared that they can be carriers and can make others sick.
All plays, operas, festivals, parades etc are cancelled. All sports events, conventions . A LOT of people will be at least temporarily out of work,
New Orleans was one of the hot spots for this. People came here for Mardi Gras and picked up the virus. So cases from several other states can be traced to us.
Let’s just say it’s a mess.  Cool

PS. I assume it’s just allergies but I’ve been battling a sore throat and a “run down “ feeling all week. I don’t have fever. So I try not to get too close to people. And am constantly washing my hands.

PPS. I read today that Kevin Love, Mike’s nephew who plays for the Cleveland basketball team, is contributing 100,000 dollars to help the workers at the arena where they play who are going to be out of work for a while. Wonderful gesture. I read that other players are helping out in their towns.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 04:35:52 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 13, 2020, 07:59:11 PM »

Do you move to sister you tell about? She really enjoys being with cats. Good sister choice to live with.  3D

I did investigation thru google about it. I figured "coronavirus" & "covid-19" = 2 entirely different issues but, it's been incorrect thing to think. What did I deduce? That, it's the best decision to shut down popular places & cancel flights/travels. Many at FB got disappointed who wished to travel, bought tickets but as I see it, they're being selfish. They can travel anytime in future, it can wait, what's the rush. This is big deal but they take it lightly. Which isn't right. Humans really amaze at times. What with preaching to be kind, thoughtful towards the other people yet they get mad about *their* planned travels being cancelled.
It being said, why everybody repeats at FB/the Internet banal rule to wash hands? Didn't anybody wash hands before it? Isn't it what people been taught since kiddy times?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: March 14, 2020, 01:40:30 AM »

About washing hands, unfortunately many don’t. And it’s frustrating to go to a public restroom to wash my hands and there’s no soap.
Hand sanitizer (an alcohol solution that’s supposed to kill germs) can also be used but some very selfish people bought them all up. I prefer soap and water. And many people don’t use the sanitizer correctly. After putting it on the hands you are supposed to rub hands together or let the hands air dry ( that takes very little time ) But a lot of people wipe their hands dry with a towel which makes the sanitizer ineffective.
The government wants to limit crowds so that the number of cases rises more slowly . Although most people who get sick with it won’t have problems there are still a fair number who will need to be in the hospital- and might need ventilators (breathing equipment). There are only so many ventilators available and a number of them are already being used. The US doesn’t want to have the situation that’s in Italy , where doctors have had to decide which patients to treat because of lack of equipment.

It’s like a wartime situation. The people have to unite .

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 14, 2020, 05:17:41 PM »

The number of cases in my state have doubled in one day. Now we are near the top in terms of illness per capita. Plus someone here died.
One of my sisters ordered me to stay at our country place and away from the city .
She thinks that will protect me.
We’ll see...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 01:57:08 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 23, 2020, 05:10:32 AM »

A couple of weeks ago here in NL, everyone came out onto their balconies at 8 pm to applaud (for minutes on end) the folks who are working so hard to keep this situation under control: the health services, the police, supermarket staff and suppliers, cleaning companies and the like. Most impressive.

On Saturday night, I put my amp on the balcony, plugged in my DX-7 and played the theme from 2001. Unfortunately no one heard it--no matter, as it was just a gesture. My wife took a video and spread it around. I'm considering doing this every Saturday evening (better prepared this time), just to say we're still around, if nothing else (we're pretty well confined to our homes over here).           

This isn't me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkt67TJ9qLc

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 04, 2020, 02:33:40 AM »

jk - it would be a lot nicer if you didn't blindly agree (read  - like) what will/feelsflow stated at the other place (let's call it "the other place" for fairness' sake as is trend for people dubbing SS that way). I explained as politely as it can get everything I been observing during polls. I been thru it year.

FDP posted nearly to every song the youtube link, including to LEAST popular songs. & there's STILL been less votes. She didn't help AT ALL. Or there's less votes in weekends or some weekdays & any other reason. People get busy - takes place now & then.

To suggest that people vote less coz there's no link is, to put mildly, plain nonsense. Can't they just quickly type song title that's being discussed into youtube? Easy thing to do. Like, type "hard times" & it's there in few seconds. Internet is super-fast everywhere (even here at times). In this day & age. Besides, Beach Boys isn't the kinda obscure niche band whose entire catalog isn't posted waaay back to youtube. Definitely *studio* album tracks found place in youtube. Not sure where feelsflow got his stats about people not knowing songs/never hearing songs. Active posters should know every BBs song by now.

Thus, stats taken out of thin air or my real experience as polls mod? What's plausible? Again, I was & am very polite, explain things as they been. But, it's been ignored & instead feelsflow will get myriad of likes. Surreal. Disbelief & skepsis really looks like disrespect towards sth. I say. When I'm being blunt - people don't like it. Politely explain things in detail, take time to do it? They plain ignore it. Idk in which way to even speak up mind to get respectful attitude (without disbelief & skepsis).
Next time I shan't explain/reply anything to you. It's best to pay attn to people who at least believe me, accept things I say without arguing. I mean, why argue against sth. you (feelsflow) don't know? I been in it (polling) whole year, I'm precisely aware what I talk about.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 02:36:22 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 04, 2020, 05:40:20 AM »

jk - it would be a lot nicer if you didn't blindly agree (read  - like) what will/feelsflow stated at the other place (let's call it "the other place" for fairness' sake as is trend for people dubbing SS that way). I explained as politely as it can get everything I been observing during polls. I been thru it year.

FDP posted nearly to every song the youtube link, including to LEAST popular songs. & there's STILL been less votes. She didn't help AT ALL. Or there's less votes in weekends or some weekdays & any other reason. People get busy - takes place now & then.

To suggest that people vote less coz there's no link is, to put mildly, plain nonsense. Can't they just quickly type song title that's being discussed into youtube? Easy thing to do. Like, type "hard times" & it's there in few seconds. Internet is super-fast everywhere (even here at times). In this day & age. Besides, Beach Boys isn't the kinda obscure niche band whose entire catalog isn't posted waaay back to youtube. Definitely *studio* album tracks found place in youtube. Not sure where feelsflow got his stats about people not knowing songs/never hearing songs. Active posters should know every BBs song by now.

Thus, stats taken out of thin air or my real experience as polls mod? What's plausible? Again, I was & am very polite, explain things as they been. But, it's been ignored & instead feelsflow will get myriad of likes. Surreal. Disbelief & skepsis really looks like disrespect towards sth. I say. When I'm being blunt - people don't like it. Politely explain things in detail, take time to do it? They plain ignore it. Idk in which way to even speak up mind to get respectful attitude (without disbelief & skepsis).
Next time I shan't explain/reply anything to you. It's best to pay attn to people who at least believe me, accept things I say without arguing. I mean, why argue against sth. you (feelsflow) don't know? I been in it (polling) whole year, I'm precisely aware what I talk about.
Thanks.

No wonder I never look in on the Sandbox these days! LOL

Relax, RR. No one's being disrespectful towards you, here or there. Hats off, in fact, for doing a wonderful job "at the other place".  Wink

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 04, 2020, 05:54:54 AM »

What's so funny about that post?

You ignored when I took time to explain to you that feelsflow is WRONG, yet you liked his reply disregarding totally everything I stated despite the fact I'm the polls mod, I should know better than ff. That's what precisely I meant when said "I should know" but I been misread ofc again...

You sure? If I been respected I'd get LOTSA likes when I posted youtube link to Dennis-Kalinich song. Otherwise doesn't make WHOLE LOTTA sense when FDP's links get likes yet when I share them people (except said girl FDP) really scared to give likes. What's the damn difference who posts links? Link is link. Link is link. Link is link. Can repeat it if need be.
p.s. it sure's funny to be told "relax". Doesn't everybody relax during "stay in house" times...
*facepalm*

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 04, 2020, 04:58:36 PM »

Needed to get hand sanitizer. Almost impossible to find because people are hoarding it.
A number of distilleries have stepped up and are now making hand sanitizer- they have plenty alcohol available.
So I drove down to a local distillery and bought a couple large bottles and a jug of the stuff. I’ll see if there are people I know who need the stuff.
Have also been looking into what to use to make a cloth mask . Some people use bandanas and I also saw one which used a cut up teeshirt.
Even our little country store is observing “social distance.” Only 5 people are allowed in at a time. So waited a short time before I could get in,
Got some plants - pineapple sage, milkweed, moonflowers, couple of others .
Hope to plant transplants in the coming days - cherry tomatoes, banana peppers, small eggplants (aubergine), small watermelons.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 05, 2020, 02:00:06 AM »

Needed to get hand sanitizer. Almost impossible to find because people are hoarding it.
A number of distilleries have stepped up and are now making hand sanitizer- they have plenty alcohol available.
So I drove down to a local distillery and bought a couple large bottles and a jug of the stuff. I’ll see if there are people I know who need the stuff.
Have also been looking into what to use to make a cloth mask . Some people use bandanas and I also saw one which used a cut up teeshirt.
Even our little country store is observing “social distance.” Only 5 people are allowed in at a time. So waited a short time before I could get in,
Got some plants - pineapple sage, milkweed, moonflowers, couple of others .
Hope to plant transplants in the coming days - cherry tomatoes, banana peppers, small eggplants (aubergine), small watermelons.

Hello E. Great to hear what your distilleries are doing. I suppose that's the big campaign now among companies: transform your normal production into making articles vital to fighting and containing the virus, such as ventilators, face masks for hospital staff, sanitizers and the like.

And wonderful to hear that you're setting up your own fresh food supply, in the event of a long haul.

We are all well here. Every Saturday at about 7 PM I take my keyboard out onto the back balcony and play a tune. Yesterday it was "Vincent", which went down well. All these little things add up right now.

Take care now.

Edit: Next Saturday it will probably be "Morning Has Broken" (Cat Stevens), "Go Now" (The Moody Blues) and a chorale from Bach's St. Matthew Passion. All three are requests. Requests are always fun--and you know at least one person is going to appreciate them. Cool
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:01:03 AM by JK » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 06, 2020, 12:31:11 PM »

Hello Nola, girl. In Russia, it's few weeks now since been given demands by government & everything to do masks. Tailor factories been  assigned with task. I gather by what you say you U.S. folk got this idea just now. Whilst we been doing new masks since way before it. Yep. Different fabrics, patterns, colors. Cool, ain't it? Several relatives do masks with sewing machines they bought - to their fam members & friends who can't/lazy/bored to do it (such as I, I hate doing it, ZERO talent & patience, can't sew, can't knit, hate any kinda house crafting & stuff like scrapbooking etc. Everything like it). I shall ask relative to give mask for free, that they don't sell it, I don't wish to pay towards such tiny thing as mask. I got medic masks (2 maybe?), I forced to give me spare masks of girls who I otherwise don't like. They gave. In times like this gotta be audacious that people start sharing their numerous supplies (yes, hoarding as you say). Btw, I don't get the paper stuff going in America - why people would be obsessed by it exclusively? It ain't antiseptic right? What's the deal with people being crazy about plain paper (or wait...does paper selling in U.S. contain sanitizing antibacterial ingredients?). I in fact asked it in FB but nobody explained it well, in details, they been cryptic & mysterious about it & didn't give *straight* answer to straight question. Thus it doesn't make sense still.
You know, I really praise you about planting things. Can't imagine doing it - it's too boring pastime, I ruin everything, I got the pot in house that grew garlic or similar. You'd think it's easy thing to pour water to it now & then but it's as if I never did it right & that little plant just expired, went fading, leaves drying. Idk how people even get things bloom & blossom, it's really titanic task as if it's for specially skilled dedicated people. Smb. said you must really wish to plant things. But, I didn't get such wish, inkling, desire, then it may be the reason. I got very few interests deliberately, I ain't the type who chases interests, hobbies, trendy crafting, frankly couldn't give care. It weirds me out when people crave to know everything in the world, to be able to do everything. I'd tell them why you're friggin' interested in everything, just quit it. I mean, it's bizarre, how about to just pay attention to few interests that interest them *especially*. I find it such big waste of time to be interested in lotsa lotsa things, different countries, cuisines, cultures. Logical question - "Why?". Just travel to places you REALLY wish to see, admire when seeing in documentaries, greeting cards, coffee table book's pics. Nobody'll see entire world anyway, let's get real here. It's impossible. Then quit collecting as trophies places you been & must be next. You'd think people would tire but they don't. Surreal. Ah well,  it ain't my problem. I'm real cheapskate,hate paying money to places that leave me indifferent at best. I don't care about France, Italy, Germany, 99% Asia, 99% Africa, 100% Australia, New Zealand, South America, Canada, what you got. They look dull. I like United States. Wish I live there, even in least fave states like Arkansas, New York, Washington D.C., Alabama (btw, famous song about it is dumb & snoozy), Connecticut, Hawaii, Tennessee (don't care about Nashville music scene), Texas, Pennsylvania (people crazy about it but, it didn't impress), New Jersey, 2 Virginias, 2 Dakotas, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa et al.  I'm sure if I been resident in any mentioned state, I'd get used to it fast (IF it ain't too hot there during summers, hate heat).
Ha, don't ask what for did I type lengthy reply with final bits being really different subjects than Nola's reply. Maybe due to being chatty by nature (& enjoying hearing keyboard typing distinct noise). I may or may not edit the less than relevant bits (don't quote the entire reply pls, respect this request). Well to get back to cv19, it looks like nobody got clue when it ends. I hear different timelines. Let's wish everybody's responsible towards wellfare instructions.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 07, 2020, 09:38:26 AM »

I took the liberty of reading your post, RR. You definitely have a way with words.

I'd say there are no edits needed, but you're the better judge of that. Wink

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 12, 2020, 04:05:25 AM »

Man, it's quiet in this section of the forum. I hope everyone is safe and healthy and let's hope this insane stuff ends sooner rather than later. Smokin

I did another balcony mini-concert yesterday at about 7 PM. The main course was "Morning Has Broken"--bookended by "Go Now" and "Yesterday"--and the encore was a smattering of Bach to celebrate Easter.  Wink

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: