-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:42:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435407 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 12, 2019, 04:31:59 PM »

(Did the kitty celebrate?)
No, his birthday, New Year & International Cat Day.
Question - what "Cornish hens" differ by than usual hens?
Almond flour here is jolly expensive - 1100 roubles. Better buy 100-200 g of almonds & grind them thru "blender with bowl". What's the price in U.S.?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 12, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »

Cornish hens (although they are called "hens" they can be male or female) are specially bred small chickens - the ones I got were about 570 g each. Each is supposed to feed no more than 2 people. However we're not big meat eaters so with the five of us  we had leftovers .It's all white meat and very tender.

Almond flour is more expensive than regular flour but not as expensive as in Russia. Yes, with a lot of those "alternative flours" Americans are using, a lot of people decide to grind them - almonds, oats, rice are the most common used.

Some people use cauliflower as an alternative but I'm not going there . Would rather use something more conventional.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 13, 2019, 04:49:59 AM »

Well won't you tell almond flour's U.S. price? I'm going to visit it this summer, you see.

Funny you mention cauliflower - recently read page "pizza based at cauliflower". Meh. Instead liked the page "pizza dip" - cook any sauce to dip mini plain croissants into it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 13, 2019, 06:55:24 AM »

For comparison, most people bake using white flour. The price for as 5 lb bag (around 2.3 kg) is 3 dollars 50 cents.
The price for almond flour, for ONE pound (454 g) ranges from around 8 dollars to over 12 dollars.
There are different companies and different prices.

You are coming to the US this summer?

Yes I would think "pizza dip" would work well with any good, warm bread. Making me hungry :-)

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 13, 2019, 08:03:12 AM »

Yes, saved money since 2012 to travel to U.S. Pity the flight's really lengthy. Thing I like about flying by plane is take-off & landing when you get dizzy, ears get deaf & cool noises surround. Why you ask - wanna give me free few weeks' stay in your house? :D That would be cool, wouldn't it? But, I'm going to book the cheap hotel/ inn room. Like tourists do.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 13, 2019, 08:54:42 AM »

Well I assume you would be flying in to San Francisco or Los Angeles? In those places you probably would find it hard to find "cheap" hotels. Hostels might be a better deal, or you can find out ahead of time from other Russians who've "crossed the big pond" where affordable rooms could be found.

How long will you be in the US? Do you have a game plan, specific things you wish to see?
We can give you pointers and help you avoid the "tourist traps"
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:43:35 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 13, 2019, 04:46:05 PM »

SF. L.A. isn't in N. CA.

Like I said, few weeks. 2, maybe 3. What do you mean by "tourist traps"? I've not game plan yet but decided to visit less banal & uber-popular with tourists places. I shall buy useful house goods, food (various chocolates they don't sell here, chocolate chip cookies, cat food), cat items, souvenirs, greeting cards & stuff.
You been in SF?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 13, 2019, 05:19:03 PM »

Tourist Traps are places that for some reason tourists go to but the native residents avoid. Why? bad food,  wrong information given out (so far as history is concerned), tend to be expensive. Unfortunately my city has a number of them, mostly on Bourbon Street . (Note: anyone who goes to New Orleans, avoid that street! So much better food, music etc elsewhere)

San Francisco is a beautiful city. I've been there several times but the last time was 30 years ago. Would like to get back there some day but that won't be anytime soon.
It's crazy, the funny things I remember. In 1979 or 80 I went with a friend who was in graduate school there to a restaurant in the North Beach neighborhood. I still remember the waiter. He had the most beautiful blue eyes.  Grin

I would think that you wouldn't have trouble finding "cat" items there. Looks to be a very cat friendly place.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:24:59 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 14, 2019, 02:40:19 AM »

Everybody says San Fran is beautiful. You now say it - thanks! Which sightseeings you advise to visit in it?

Yes, I read about it. Here's lovely info about shop cats in SF :D: https://medium.com/@chrisarvin/the-beloved-store-cats-of-san-francisco-992bebda45ce

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 14, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »

There are museums, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Park and Bridge, Muir Woods, numerous restaurants. Looks like you can either go with a tour group, or get a pass to ride on special trolley type vehicles which make a circuit around the tourist areas, or rent a bike (remembering that there are some serious hills to navigate). For some places such as Alcatraz and Muir Woods, reservations must be made in advance.

If you can swing it, a trip to Yosemite National Park would be great. Again , you would need reservations to spend overnight there.

There are others in this Board who could chime in, who live closer to SF than I do (only 3700 km lol)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: May 16, 2019, 02:37:11 AM »

There are museums, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Park and Bridge, Muir Woods, numerous restaurants. Looks like you can either go with a tour group, or get a pass to ride on special trolley type vehicles which make a circuit around the tourist areas, or rent a bike (remembering that there are some serious hills to navigate). For some places such as Alcatraz and Muir Woods, reservations must be made in advance.

If you can swing it, a trip to Yosemite National Park would be great. Again, you would need reservations to spend overnight there.

There's this one piece of equipment at the gym I visit weekly whose screen shows walks around Muir Beach and Yosemite Nat. Park. And San Francisco, now I think of it (I used to "go to SF" every week for a while, as I know someone there). The park is staggeringly beautiful, what they show of it. A lot of that scenery features in Vertigo...

Actually, today I left the gym early as they were playing a brain-cell-destroying brand of cut-and-paste techno ("let's just repeat this boring bit 37 times"). Nothing against good techno (nothing against good anything) but that stuff was screwing with my head. Odd because the average age of folks there is a lot greater than that of your average techno fan.  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 16, 2019, 06:43:35 AM »

A little bit of that techno goes a long way! I went to a restaurant once that was playing that techno stuff. Very annoying. Assume that it was played on purpose so that people would eat quickly and not longer over coffee, wine etc.

I went to Muir Woods once back in the early 70s, with my family. My Dad went to a medical convention in SF. We didn't see much of SF then as Dad was into nature and not city stuff, so only remember going to Fisherman's Wharf. (Saw more of SF on subsequent trips) But I was blown away by the beauty of Muir Woods. After we left SF we went to Yosemite National Park. Hope RR1 gets to go to those places in addition to the Cat Stuff.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 16, 2019, 07:35:02 AM »

Ta, good tips. Will fly with cat companion. Didn't check if it's OK to do but, since people travel with their Yorkshire terriers & stuff, cats should too. If cats disallowed, it'd be "pet discrimination".

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 16, 2019, 09:19:33 AM »

Did you make sure Kitty wouldn't have to go into quarantine after arriving in the US?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 17, 2019, 06:35:13 AM »

Quarantine here means when schools shut down, 1-9 grade kids don't attend it few weeks due to winter degrees starting with -45 C & due to illness (typically serious flu wave). What does it mean towards pets?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: May 17, 2019, 10:34:12 AM »

A lot of times pets aren't allowed into the country right away. They have to stay in a facility for a period of time to make sure they don't have diseases that can be given to other animals.
You would also have to make sure Kitty has gotten shots , particularly the  anti-rabies shot.
And finally you would have to make sure Kitty could be with you on the flight and not placed with the cargo. That would be a deal breaker for me. A jet recently went off the runway into a waterway. All the passengers got out but I don't think any of the animals in the cargo area survived. :-(

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 24, 2019, 05:10:05 AM »

I've been working but I took time off to help our diminutive cleaning lady to clean the top section of our Venetian blinds.

I remember our previous cleaner hated that job. Now I know why!  LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 24, 2019, 05:48:15 AM »

1. What's diminutive? Is it being dwarf? I've dwarf friend Daiana & she's great. Smiley Smart cookie.
2. Why hire girl (smb. generally) to clean it? Can't you & fam do it? Didn't know you're rich to the point you got house servants. Bizarre, tbh.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: May 24, 2019, 06:07:30 AM »

1. What's diminutive? Is it being dwarf? I've dwarf friend Daiana & she's great. Smiley Smart cookie.
2. Why hire girl (smb. generally) to clean it? Can't you & fam do it? Didn't know you're rich to the point you got house servants. Bizarre, tbh.

Diminutive just means not very tall. You've mentioned your friend Daiana before.

Girl? Our cleaner is about our age and does it for a living. She visits us once every two weeks. Many, many people here hire a cleaning lady. Of course you have to be able to pay them but you don't have to be rich! Grin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 24, 2019, 06:17:41 AM »

Hm, if you can mention many things frequently (like praising "White Rabbit"), surely I can mention my dwarf friend Daiana million times, no?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 24, 2019, 07:03:47 AM »

So what's today's news. Bought cat new basket with drapes & lama faces. Neat design.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:54:36 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 24, 2019, 07:41:12 AM »

Hm, if you can mention many things frequently (like praising "White Rabbit"), surely I can mention my dwarf friend Daiana million times, no?

Haha, yes of course you can! Smiley

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 24, 2019, 08:02:34 AM »

I've dwarf friend Daiana. She's great girl. 3D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:52:51 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 24, 2019, 12:50:00 PM »

I've dwarf friend Daiana. She's great girl. 3D

"You've mentioned your friend Daiana before" is no more and no less than what it says. It's not passing judgement on anyone or anything. I'm sure you think I pass judgement on you but I don't. I'm just saying you've mentioned her name before. That's all.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 02:31:24 AM by JK » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 24, 2019, 02:08:06 PM »

Maybe it's misunderstanding but you seem very patronizing towards everything I say.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:27:25 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: