-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435536 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: December 16, 2018, 12:34:56 AM »

Is it? As smb. who checks around things, I went to type "mother" in advanced search & there's few results with capitalized "M", namely by NBBF, maryusa, wilsonart1. Everybody else - Americans too - typed simply "mother", including you:

Really?!?!? "Baby Blue" is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful songs ever in the history of music. I would sell my mother to hear those rehearsal tapes.  LOL

Thus, let NBBF answer my question, since it's to *her*. I'd like to know what *she* says.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 16, 2018, 04:48:01 AM »

I think of "Mom" as an endearment and that's why I capitalized that yesterday. Sometimes I capitalize "Mother" and sometimes not.
I have so much trouble typing on this tablet. The autocorrect drives me nuts. And that sometimes affects what gets capitalized.
As for me putting "I " first and then the caregiver, that's not correct English grammar.
It should have been "My Mom's caregiver and I..." Sorry!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 16, 2018, 06:09:32 AM »

Yes, I'm quite well aware that mom is endearing way to say mother. But, you say *that's why* you capitalized it, meaning any endearment is written uppercase? Single place I'd seen it written that way is letters: "Dear Darling" etc. That's that.

Sometimes I capitalize "Mother" and sometimes not.
Then Jay isn't right, it's not "American thing".

The autocorrect drives me nuts. And that sometimes affects what gets capitalized.
Ditto as previous quote. Reading here & elsewhere Americans, nobody'd written relatives with uppercase 1st letter. You & maryusa did. I should've relied to my observations since it's established by now that from get go I's right.
Who do you say sorry to? I praised you that you didn't use banal "caregiver & I", instead said it "I & caregiver". I disagree with you when you say it's "not correct English". Technically it is, it's just really rare, people just accepted the other way & everybody else repeats the standard. It's just popular order, you know. Iirc, Emily answered in the other Sandbox thread just same, that technically it's correct English, at least it's her gist. I could swear she said it, we talked about it. Don't be sorry for using sth. rare, it's not sin but perhaps you're, like many, afraid to go against the "crowd". Which you shouldn't, I mean c'mon, it's not big deal.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 16, 2018, 07:44:55 AM »

Ha, are you my sister in disguise? She's always getting after me for saying "I'm sorry" too much.  Smiley
As you are studying English, I need to be more mindful of grammar. I don't want to steer you wrong!

As for the capitalization of "mother" etc, there isn't any specific rule. I might not capitalize the word if I'm writing about mothers in general. But if I'm writing specifically about MY mother, I will usually capitalize that. Same with other relatives. Think that was what Jay was getting at.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 16, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »

I suppose that either usage is correct, to a certain point. When I spoke of the capitalization of the word(s) in question, I failed to include the example of the words "Father" and "Mother" as it pertains to religion.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 16, 2018, 08:00:59 AM »

Yes, I'm quite well aware that mom is endearing way to say mother. But, you say *that's why* you capitalized it, meaning any endearment is written uppercase? Single place I'd seen it written that way is letters: "Dear Darling" etc. That's that.

Sometimes I capitalize "Mother" and sometimes not.
Then Jay isn't right, it's not "American thing".

The autocorrect drives me nuts. And that sometimes affects what gets capitalized.
Ditto as previous quote. Reading here & elsewhere Americans, nobody'd written relatives with uppercase 1st letter. You & maryusa did. I should've relied to my observations since it's established by now that from get go I's right.
Who do you say sorry to? I praised you that you didn't use banal "caregiver & I", instead said it "I & caregiver". I disagree with you when you say it's "not correct English". Technically it is, it's just really rare, people just accepted the other way & everybody else repeats the standard. It's just popular order, you know. Iirc, Emily answered in the other Sandbox thread just same, that technically it's correct English, at least it's her gist. I could swear she said it, we talked about it. Don't be sorry for using sth. rare, it's not sin but perhaps you're, like many, afraid to go against the "crowd". Which you shouldn't, I mean c'mon, it's not big deal.
[/quoI]The sentence "I should've relied to my observations since it's established by now that from get to I's right" isn't grammatically correct.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 16, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »

2NBBF:
But if I'm writing specifically about MY mother, I will usually capitalize that. Same with other relatives. Think that was what Jay was getting at.
But didn't you read Jay's 2007 quote? I brought it here specifically to show that Jay, despite what he said, ACTUALLY said "my mother" with little "m". & since beginning this discussion, I keep telling you that I'd NEVER seen anybody here or elsewhere capitalize Mother. For instance to use then-frequent poster here in the Sandbox, the captain talking about their mother didn't capitalize it "my Mother". It's really weird when I see it written that way. It's German language rule to capitalize nouns, as I said. Single explanation I can find why you do it is to pay respect to mother, hence my Mother.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:09:41 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 16, 2018, 08:20:33 AM »

I suppose that either usage is correct, to a certain point.
It's fine if either is correct but I didn't talk about it AT ALL. You said earlier "It's an American thing, Usually, we capitalize in referencing a relative. For example: Mother, Father, Grandpa, Grandma, Aunt, Uncle, etc.". THIS is reply that puzzled me. As I didn't see any English speaker here, including Americans, as well as elsewhere in the Internet, saying "my Mother", "my Father" etc. Then I concluded it's not American thing, in fact. Since nobody does it except NBBF & maryusa. THAT's the point. Am tired to repeat it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #983 on: December 16, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »

Actually it’s a southern US thing. Deep South not like Texas. And for what it’s worth I get callers all the time who refer to their wives as mother or momma.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 16, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »

(Delete post)

I'll defer to Buckethead's post below...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 12:21:17 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #985 on: December 16, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »

The capitalization of Mother and such is kind of a Northeastern US thing too. One thing you gotta realize RR is different parts of the US are entirely different culturally

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MsBecca
« Reply #986 on: December 16, 2018, 11:36:40 AM »

I capitalize Mom and Dad but not my mother and father. You are always supposed to capitalize what you call the person from a grammatical sense.

So speaketh Rebecca, so shall it be the truth 😆
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 16, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »

Actually, the rules of Standard English clearly require that mother be written in the lower case unless it is being used as a proper noun. (For example,  some offspring, rather formally, might directly address their mother as Mother and spell it accordingly. On the other hand, I call/write my mother Mom, which is not capitalized when referring to your mom or my mom.) Of course, actual usage varies according ethnicity and regional patois. Please note, y'all or you'ens that I am not jumping in here to be one of those annoying social media types who find it necessary to correct everyone, but RR deserves to have a straight answer!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 17, 2018, 03:01:33 AM »

Please note, y'all or you'ens that I am not jumping in here to be one of those annoying social media types who find it necessary to correct everyone, but RR deserves to have a straight answer!

No one could accuse you of that, E. Thank you for clarifying!  Cheesy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 17, 2018, 05:57:17 AM »

Buckethead explained it the best. English grammar books we studied by didn't say ANYthing about things we discuss being capitalized when it's used as "proper noun", which, in turn, wasn't mentioned either. Single explanation to it I can bring is, since we studied English grammar by Russian books, these linguists may not find such detail crucial in studying English; they may've parallelled it to native language grammar rules: we DON'T capitalize mother, father, sister etc., either with or without "my" or "your".

2Buckethead: Check the Reading thread. Many IF goodies there. I'd like to know what can you say about it. Since you too like the IF.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 06:47:39 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: December 18, 2018, 01:50:27 AM »

The capitalization of Mother and such is kind of a Northeastern US thing too. One thing you gotta realize RR is different parts of the US are entirely different culturally
True. Every state/country is different.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 18, 2018, 02:38:46 AM »

You should've said it instead of saying it's entire country "American thing". If you're willing to answer question, answer without changing the answer, it misleads.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 18, 2018, 03:12:01 AM »

You should've said it instead of saying it's entire country "American thing". If you're willing to answer question, answer without changing the answer, it misleads.
I wasn't sure it extended beyond America, hence my post saying it was a American thing.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 18, 2018, 05:07:52 PM »

Back in 1975 our graduating HS class was asked to pick a song. We chose John Denver's "Poems, Prayers and Promises." The powers that be nixed that probably due to the lyric " pass the pipe around. " So we were given a song to sing at our graduation. The uplifting song? "The Sound of Silence." Our hearts overflowed with happiness as we sang " Hello darkness my old friend... "

Anyway, didn't think I'd hear another oddball graduation song such as the above.
One of my nephews graduated from a Community College today. What was the song played when all received their degrees?
 "Chain of Fools"!  LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #994 on: December 18, 2018, 09:45:53 PM »

Oh....kay....

On a different note, my daughter loves that song (Sound of Silence, not Chain of Fools)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 20, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »

Got the okay from family to get a week off from Caregiving duties.
Registered for a leisurely course on Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes and others , lectures and films. It will take place towards the end of March at a lodge in Western North Carolina. So all I have to hope for is that the weather cooperates.

Listened to some songs from "Holland." Steamboat and The Trader leave me misty eyed.

my youngest sister texted that her daughter needed to get her tonsils out. After a bit another sister chimed in and said A Charlie Brown Christmas was on TV. So the five of us, living in various places in the Eastern US, texted humorous commentaries as we watched. My contribution? "Ugh! Dog germs!" It was very enjoyable .

Waiting for some nasty weather to arrive, or should I say nastier than we've already had. We're facing about a 12_hour stretch under a High Wind Warning, with winds gusting to 50 mph (80 kph). Will be rocking and rolling tonight - not just here but in much of the Eastern half of the US.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:56:08 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 20, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »

It's Friday evening, i.e. boredom begins. It'll mean seeing boring films in TV, reading boring books, talking to cat who btw sat still as I drew him. Ha! Rmbr time when I drew people as cats? It's cancelled. Fun times sure, good drawings, cool idea. Yet, how about depicting people as fruits? It's new trend. 3D
Back to kitchen to eat weirdly-shaped cookies with tea.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:19:54 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 21, 2018, 01:19:01 AM »

Rmbr time when I drew people here as cats? Well, I cancel it, it wasn't good idea anyway. Fun times sure but it's bad drawings, I can't draw anything AT ALL. I'm fine by that fact.

Aww. I'm rather fond of mine, RR. It makes me feel young again. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 21, 2018, 06:20:17 AM »

People as fruit?
I tend to retain water if I eat really salty foods, so I can be a watermelon. :-)

BTW, RR1, I've gotten some nice shoes (including the comfortable slippers I'm wearing this morning) at dollar stores.  However most stores around here no longer accept checks. It's cash, or debit/credit cards only.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 26, 2018, 05:17:53 PM »

Went to lunch with family , at a restaurant by a swamp South of here.
Coming back, at the exit from the interstate, my car started bucking when I applied the brake. Then I had trouble moving the car at all. Managed to get off to a street and to a curb. No matter how much I pushed on the accelerator the car wouldn't budge. Mom was freaking out. I told her thank goodness this happened where it did and not in the swamp area or in the middle lane of the big bridge crossing the Mississippi River. Car got towed home and I'll arrange to tow it to repair place tomorrow.
I could be really upset about it as I need a car , and the repairs could be very expensive.
However, earlier in the day I checked out two books from my Library. One was Indianapolis
by Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic, which is about the USS Indianapolis and what happened to it in 1945. This incident was recounted in the movie, Jaws. I listened to the "Jaws Indianapolis Speech", which is online, today. Bone chilling to say the least.
The other book I checked out was David Blight's biography, Frederick Douglass - Prophet of Freedom. Douglass grew up a slave and managed to escape and become a great orator and leader of civil rights in the 1800s.
These people had REAL problems!

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: