-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:38:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435386 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 12, 2018, 06:26:21 AM »

Yes, Minnesota can get really hot in the summers: 90s are normal, 100s aren't so rare, and it's humid besides. I hate that. I'm sure we're at or near the top for biggest difference of temps in the country (sometimes literally within a day or two). As for the niceness, I don't know about that. "Minnesota nice" is a cliche, but I think a lot of it is more passive-aggressiveness than anything. And just try getting anything done at a 4-way-stop intersection, with everyone trying to out-nice everyone else, waving one another forward...maddening!

And really, if you ever moved here, Minneapolis is the superior town ... (said the Minneapolitan).

What did I do today? So far, not much. Working from home, so I made a bigger breakfast than usual.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 21, 2018, 06:11:29 PM »

Haven't watched much TV lately, the last two days watched sporting events .
Yesterday around noon I tuned in to a Premier League game, Liverpool vs Suddersfield. Had never heard of the latter before but decided to root for them because they wore blue striped shirts. They held Liverpool to one goal: unfortunately, they got "nil."

today I fixed my Mother's emergency alert system (press a button and it connects you with someone who notifies emergency personnel -have had to use it numerous times these past few years). But now our landline system isn't working...

Half heartedly watched the Saints play the Ravens, assuming that once again the Ravens would win. Wrong. The Saints are living a charmed life right now, winning two games due to "gifts" by the opposition's kickers.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 29, 2018, 03:44:33 PM »

I forgot this thread. Anyhoo, tried to cook pancakes but given I'm world's worst cook, they turned up super imbalanced - some side fat, the other super thin. It isn't edible either. Maybe will give food to stray dogs & winter birds that didn't fly to south. The cat gets really poetic in winter & sits in windowsill looking at snow flakes falling hypnotized few hours.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 29, 2018, 07:46:29 PM »

I've never had much luck with pancakes. The edges are burnt and the center's uncooked.
It rarely snows here but love when it does - as long as I don't have to go anywhere. It's usually a gentle snowfall, big fat flakes . I've heard it referred to as "snowing handkerchiefs."
 And like your kitty, the effect on me is hypnotic and relaxing.
No snow around here anytime soon though. Temperature got back up to nearly 30C today. Supposedly it will turn a little cooler later this week.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:48:41 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: November 02, 2018, 05:11:37 AM »

To the pancake subject: Thin pancakes cooked at 7-day Maslenitsa holiday = "crepes".
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:10:51 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: November 10, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »

Today it's Sunday.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:08:47 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 03, 2018, 07:35:46 AM »

Severe cold, fog December begin. Cat stays in the house, zero walk arrangements. People must quit walking dogs as well. I'd seen poor stray lying rolled up in the dry surface with less snow, shaking, trying to be warm - bottom line: smb. should adopt. If it bites, still adopt to prevent freezing in cold. They'll get used to people & quit biting. Maybe.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 04, 2018, 05:31:50 PM »

Hello, it's me again. 3D Ha! Chime in here to tell what's with day to day selective news by NBBF? Liked reading 'em, esp. cat-related news, not politics, baseball-football, whatever. Hey, N, resume the posts about yoursees catsees. 3D

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 04, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »

Not much to say. Spent last night with my Mother in the emergency room of a hospital. Problem with one of her medicines . Got that taken care of, she's feeling better, and we're home. Waiting for overnight sitter so that I can maybe have some sleep tonight.
Maybe later on there will be something interesting to mention.
I did watch a live performance of "Forever" - the concert at Central Park, 1971.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 09, 2018, 01:52:33 PM »

Checked nice early 20th cent. greeting cards. Would be cool to print them, write down friends' names (Daiana, Sonya), give to friends. They can read English well-wishes. I dislike creating well-wishes, prefer cards with written text. It saves time.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: December 10, 2018, 01:53:30 PM »

Not much to say. Spent last night with my Mother in the emergency room of a hospital. Problem with one of her medicines . Got that taken care of, she's feeling better, and we're home. Waiting for overnight sitter so that I can maybe have some sleep tonight.
Maybe later on there will be something interesting to mention.
I did watch a live performance of "Forever" - the concert at Central Park, 1971.

Sorry to hear about your mother, E. Glad it got sorted and she's better now.  Smiley

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:24 PM »

RR1, I love old Christmas cards. And especially love old postcards.

JK, thanks. Really have to watch medicines with the elderly. So many more side effects!
How was it with you on Dec 6?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 10, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »

What about 6 Dec. (not Dec. 6)? Is it special day? It's funny when I say sth. here, nobody asks questions about that sth. Like, "Which cards did you like? Share them" etc. Which would mean that they show interest. But when it's smb. else, they start asking questions. It doesn't make sense & will never do.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 10, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »

In the US we usually write December 6. In other areas it's 6 December.
It gets confusing. When I was entering data for foreign students and they wrote down their birthdate as 4/9/82, I had to double check with them - was their birthday April 9, or September 4?
I asked JK about 6 December because it's a special holiday in the Netherlands and he had indicated that he was making preparations.

I'm sorry that you didn't take kindly to my comment about old timey cards. I basically know what they look like - I assumed that if there were some especially appealing to you that you would have posted photos.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 10, 2018, 05:50:15 PM »

We studied the date differences since school thru & thru. I discussed it recently with B.E. in messages. The bottom line is U.S. way is bizarre. To me, that date is & will be 4 September.
The greeting cards point is people will not ask questions to things I say. *I* usually do it, i.e. display interest in sth. smb. says but it will not be the other way around. It's, again, bizarre. As if things I say, weirdly, less interesting than everybody else's. It's impossible. Or people frightened by me that they shy away the questions? I see discussion being 2-sided, each side asking questions, not just single human.

What did do today - told aunt to knit in free time new,  New Year-themed, scarf to cat, to meet New Year with suitable look/ style. Buying scarf will be expensive, aunt agreed to knit for free. Cat will be gleeful. You knit to cat as well, NBBF.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:23:06 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 11, 2018, 03:07:06 AM »

I asked JK about 6 December because it's a special holiday in the Netherlands and he had indicated that he was making preparations.

You're very kind, E, but it's December 5th. And it went very well, thanks. Some years are a bit panicky and over-the-top (too many preparations!) but this year's Sinterklaas was quite laid back. Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 11, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »

Oops, yes indeed you had posted that it was on 5 December.
I get a catalog with lots of holiday goodies. I really liked seeing the chocolates made to look like little wooden clogs.
Was really feeling low last night. Woke up thinking , girl, get your stuff together ! I got our fake Christmas tree out and we did some decorating. Decorated our real tree (Norfolk pine) that's outside in a pot on our front porch. Got some poinsettias. I'm going to get in the holiday spirit, dangit!  Grin

RR1: No I don't know now, used to be able to do basic knit/purl stuff back in the dark ages (45 years ago). Trying to get the time to learn how to crochet.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:38:18 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 11, 2018, 05:42:53 PM »

What's poinsettias? As usual, I shan't decorate house. It's too much waste of time to stand just few weeks, then be put back. Looking at people's windows - usual habit to steal design ideas - there's many shiny shimmery things by window. Look festive. It's good to see tree in central square & main streets that house decoration seems pointless & redundant imo.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 11, 2018, 09:24:12 PM »

Poinsettias are plants native to Mexico. They are very popular in the US because around Christmastime many of the leaves turn red, and the leaves that remain green have red veins.
Red and green are "Christmas" colors.
They are tropical and will die back with freezing temperatures. We have one that we planted in the ground a number of years ago. So far this year we haven't had freezing weather so hopefully the leaves will be turning red soon. Ours is about 1.5m tall and looks really pretty when in "bloom." The leaves stay red until well into April, then fall off and new green leaves appear. We had a couple of winters without freezes and our poinsettia grew to well over 2.5 m tall and wide.

In the U.S. we can't leave well enough alone. So now one can buy poinsettias that have pink, white, light yellow, or even bluish leaves. We have noticed that these generally don't survive as long as the classic type.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 12, 2018, 07:37:23 AM »

Red and green are "Christmas" colors.
Respectively, Santa & what/ who?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 12, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »

Red and green have been traditional for Christmas. Holly trees are evergreen, and this time of year the trees are full of red berries. This tradition goes back many centuries, before the celebration was Christmas but rather a pagan holiday.
Santa now is pictured wearing red. But he was at one time clad in differing colors, and he was thin. The theory is that there was a popular Coca Cola ad showing a fat Santa wearing a red suit. That's when the red costume took hold.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 12, 2018, 04:44:29 PM »

There's timeless CC ad they still show in TV with song "Holidays Are Coming" (IIRC the singer is Melanie Thornton) playing thru it (wish they didn't transl. it to Rus.). They aired it since when I's 8. Ads change but this they keep playing thru yrs. I liked it as kid but not now.
Interesting tidbit re: multi colors & pagan holiday.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 14, 2018, 06:34:18 PM »

I and my Mom's morning caregiver both had received a summons for jury duty. I went down to the courthouse first. I needed a note from my Mom's doctor saying that I am her primary caregiver and to please be excused from jury duty.  Not being able to get the note in time I convinced them to postpone for 6 months, in which time I would have the note. Hopefully then I can be excused as Mom has become so dependent on me for everything. But if I have to serve will figure it out.
While there I saw a guy arguing with a court official . The best way to describe the guy was that he was the stereotypical snob. He said that he would serve one day but refuse to go the other 3 days. The official simply said "That's your decision, sir." The guy said " what can they do to me! " Well, missing one day could get him a fine ; purposely missing 3 days could be considered to be Contempt of Court, which could put the guy in jail.
When I got back our morning caregiver left to go to the Courthouse. She couldn't get out of it so will be doing jury duty the second half of next month. That will be rough for me but it is what it is...
Listened to the Chicago and Fargo concerts in the new 1968 release (32 songs total). Pretty good overall, but I want to shake Mike and tell him to rein in that banter. Particularly bad in the Chicago show.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 15, 2018, 07:11:38 PM »

2NBBF - I'd seen before you'd written mother with big "M". & you do it now. It's peculiar. In studying English we'd written it with little "m". Is it Louisianian thing? Usually, in German you'll see nouns to start with uppercase.
Next observation - it's good to see you said "I &...", not banality "caregiver & I...", "my girlfriend & I" etc.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 15, 2018, 11:46:29 PM »

It's an American thing, Usually, we capitalize in referencing a relative. For example: Mother, Father, Grandpa, Grandma, Aunt, Uncle, etc.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: