-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435358 times)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: September 02, 2018, 06:14:59 PM »

NBBF-  My best to your mom. Mine is 87. She can hardly see, but is a lot more gracious about it that i would be!  Love Jason Galaxy and his guitar case that he carries around with kitty accouterments. I need him to come to my house! I've been working all weekend on lesson plans for  the first week of school. I'll begin with serfs, then work my way up to the Revolution by October.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 06, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »

You didn't answer re: glasses. Last paragraph. Isn't America place where everything sells, anything can be found, any service available? I must know about anti-fog lenses/ special covering etc.
Edit: I shan't ask questions.

Sorry just saw this post. You've been offline for a while, hopefully you're doing something fun. Or maybe you just wanted a break.
Didn't check into those glasses because I couldn't use them. There are special glasses one can wear that are anti fogging. However they are not prescription. I am very nearsighted, have astigmatism in my left eye, so need special prescription glasses. Best to get the spray to apply to my glasses and hope for the best.

Ah, I don't know if America is as you say, at least nowadays. Technology is a lot further along in places like Western Europe or South Korea.
I guess most desired items are available , if you're willing to pay the price...

You'll keep asking questions. I have to remember to come back to a question that I didn't fully answer at the time. I'm getting more absentminded by the day. (It's been years since I've had a good night's sleep and it's catching up with me)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 08, 2018, 08:25:40 AM »

We have the same cereal in the US except it’s called Krave
What, you eat it like cereal? Interesting to say the least. We eat chocolate pillows like candies/ tiny crackers. The other interesting thing is you know about it but NBBF doesn't. I.e. food supplies differ state to state, really? Say, food supplies in Colorado differ than food supplies in Nebraska? The mind seriously boggles.

But I remember when we were in St Petersburg in September 1991. We stayed at a hostel. Apparently there was (is?) a law whereby the heaters in hostels and apartment complexes didn't have to be turned on until October 1.
It changed. Central heating now switches on around mid-September. They switch it off during summer, beginning with 20th May.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 08, 2018, 07:33:39 PM »

That particular cereal might be available at the really large supermarkets. I checked a couple of our neighborhood stores and it wasn't there. I don't usually eat cold cereals unless they have a lot of fiber. I usually eat hot cereals, oatmeal or some type of porridge.

While things are getting more homogeneous in the US, there are still regional differences. Down where I live there are the "national" brands of coffee available. However I find them to be a lot weaker in strength than our local coffee. Also, down here, it is popular to drink coffee with chicory - it gives the coffee a special "oomph" , a boost.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 07:34:40 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 08, 2018, 11:27:10 PM »

Sure it's cereal in America. As I said, here we eat chocolate pillows like candies & crackers. When you bite it, it cracks. It's like cookies you eat with tea. If you looked at the pic posted by me or checked "Krave" as per Billy, these pillows do look like cookies/ crackers. If it says "cold cereal" doesn't mean you can't take each pillow outta bag & eat it like cookie. You should try, it's yummy that way. It wouldn't hurt to try anyway.

Finished seeing "Airport". Mixed bag. This is 1st film with Dean Martin I'd seen, ditto Burt Lancaster & Jean Seberg. Book's better. Bought the cat new scarf & new shoes to prevent feet to catch cold. Plan as well to buy ear muffs to my ears. If they're too expensive, I shan't buy. I'm cheapskate & proud of it, ha.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:23:40 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 10, 2018, 05:54:38 PM »

Dwarf friend Daiana bought few nice floral T-shirts. She didn't like floral Ts before, now she does. She said she'd like to change wardrobe. & she began it with T-shirts, then will make her way to buying new head gears, then new scarves etc. She's very serious about renewing wardrobe. Threw ancient clothes to garbage bin. Sonya, otoh, doesn't wish to replace ancient clothes with new. In her plans, to buy new gadget. As to me, I played really old computer game about Nancy Drew investigating Japanese case. I don't usually play computer games but this time today I found it installed to 'puter many yrs back which I forgot. It's interesting game, if at times too puzzling riddles.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 10, 2018, 07:00:41 PM »

Yes, books are usually better than the movies made based on them.
It's sweet that you're getting little shoes for your kitty to keep him warm. Certainly not a problem here!
I'm like your friend Sonya. I wear clothes so that I won't get arrested. Don't really care what I wear as long as it 's clean and not torn. Would rather spend money on books or music. Speaking of old clothes, I looked at an old nightgown I've been wearing for years. The front of it is full of tiny holes - caused by cats claws lol.

We got a new air conditioning system for our house today. It had gotten rather uncomfortable over the past week - the inside temperature was a little over 27C (could have been even hotter but we've fortunately had cloudy weather this week). It's strange how that temperature would feel okay outdoors but not so indoors. It's now 5C* cooler in the house, so much nicer.

* So I have the thermostat at 73F, in case any Americans are reading this  Grin
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:05:47 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 11, 2018, 06:55:58 PM »

Watched 9/11 programs. It's an obsession - keep hoping that the outcome would somehow be different (yes I know that's silly...)

A great thing happened today. Our 18 year old cat, Sai III, jumped on the chair and cuddled up beside me. She had never done that before. I had despaired over no longer having a lap cat; she is almost that.

Watching the progress of Hurricane Florence towards the coast. And the idiots who live on the coast saying they won't evacuate. Why anyone would want to experience the full force of a hurricane is beyond me. Trust me, the thrill will soon leave, to be followed by hours of terror.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 11, 2018, 11:20:03 PM »

Americans didn't read it.
Tell - do you agree with me it's baffoonery to give hurricanes names? 1. In which way they choose the name, f.ex. in this case it's Florence? 2. Last yr, iirc, it's Harvey, why it' s boy's name? Is it possible to tell hurricane's gender? 3. At last, what's the reason to give hurricanes names? Whose bizarre idea is it?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 12, 2018, 05:21:06 AM »

Hurricanes/tropical storms were given Girls’ names starting in the 1950s. It was done to tell different systems apart. Some women put up a stink so in the 1970s I think they started using Boys names as well. So the storms alternate girl/boy using the alphabet. There were storms with names beginning with a through e, then Florence, Gordon (which came and went), Helene (the remains of which could possibly affect Europe down the road), and Isaac. There could possibly be a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico this weekend and that would be Joyce. And so on.
The groups of names are on a six-year cycle, thus the names this year were last used in 2012. If a storm is really bad, such as Katrina, that name will be retired and not used again.
There were at least three bad ones last year that I assume were retired - Harvey, Irma and Maria.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 12, 2018, 05:51:25 AM »

I didn't get the "different systems" bit. What's that? & why specially these names Irma, Helene etc? Why not Harriet & Imogen? Bottom line: to REALLY understand this weird tradition, be in on it, you must be born & raised abroad. As is, I'm very slow about it.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 12, 2018, 07:38:37 AM »

Different systems, meaning different storm systems. It is necessary to name them somehow to tell simultaneous storm systems apart.

As for why the specific names chosen or how the naming conventions work, I think you’re wrong that you have to be born here to understand: I don’t think many people here understand the naming conventions either. I would bet that almost everyone simply accepts that there is one and uses the names that are assigned. The “how” and “why,” I would guess, rarely crosses anyone’s mind.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 12, 2018, 04:08:10 PM »

I'm curious by nature, hence the occasional interrogation.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 12, 2018, 04:35:18 PM »

That's fine--good, even. Just trying to explain as best I can the way things are here to answer you.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 20, 2018, 03:39:11 AM »

Did useful deed today - removed the computer's keyboard keys, cleaned each with ants' spirit as desinfectant, the keyboard's carpet, then the other carpet attached to various schemes, details, brushed the dust with paint brush, cotton buds, toothpicks, needle, shook the entire laptop to floor, cleaned the screen, placed each key to its place (before it took keyboard's pic to mobile). The last bit at 1st seemed difficult but shortly I got it. Meticulous yet fascinating thing to deal with computers.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: September 24, 2018, 07:36:36 PM »

Trying to figure out what "ants' spirit" is.

Today we drove to Memphis, Tennessee. On the way we stopped at the Mississippi Petrified Forest, the only such forest in the Eastern United States. Trees from way up north died millions of years ago and their remains moved south, petrifying in the process. The hike to see them was very informative. There were two friendly cats "guarding" the place. Their names were Jasper and Magma lol.
On to Memphis, had dinner, now getting ready for bed. Going to Graceland tomorrow.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 24, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »

It's formic acid which can be found in ants mixed with ethanol spirit. There must be the official medical name. We say what can be translated as ants' spirit.

Which breeds the cats look like?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 25, 2018, 04:35:04 AM »

One was a tabby, the other a pretty tortoise shell

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 25, 2018, 06:39:15 AM »

Pity you didn't take pic. Would be fun to see cats guarding forest.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 26, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »

Went to dentist. Really happy they don't sell the blue cellophane one-off slippers - gosh, don't know what these things called - it's now given for free. They place big basket with them in windowsill, people can take as many as they wish. I took 15-20 pairs, put them into bag in case in the other medical places you must buy them. Even if I usually use the lifehack - retrieve the used slippers from garbage bin to not pay for new. It's not like I take off shoes & wear sand/mud-filled slippers with socks anyway.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 26, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »

Good you were able to get some of those disposable slippers. They could come in handy when cleaning things up and you don't want to mess up your shoes or regular slippers.
After I got back from Graceland last evening I was very tired, and started having a toothache. This morning I woke up with a severe toothache (and can't see the dentist until Friday), stopped up sinuses, a sore throat, and really irritated eyes. I looked in the mirror and saw big "bags" under my eyes. I looked like Bert Lahr (cowardly lion) in The Wizard of Oz lol.
Drove straight home , canceling any side trips. My sister wanted to continue listening to Elvis; I wanted more variety but it is what it is. One good thing - around noontime was an announcement - "This is Al Jardine, and you're listening to The Elvis Channel."
 I stumbled in to a stinky house, cats mad at me for leaving them . Will take something to knock me out for the night and will commence getting the house looking and smelling presentable tomorrow...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 03, 2018, 02:23:27 PM »

I didn't in any time consider, like many well-known & not well-known people, to keep diary. Today found aunt's school diary. It's interesting to read what it was like to be school child in the 80s, live in U.S.S.R., be pioneer (every school kid became pioneer after certain age, around 5th grade). She is the kind who doesn't write just shortly - she described many events in painstaking detail. In my school time, the food we ate in school canteen used to be either swamp green-colored juice (which I still can't figure what was it) with flour-free pastry "Kartoshka" or tea with bun. In the aunt's school time, they got everything - 1st course, 2nd, lunch, dessert. Varied, rich choice.
Besides school activities, she described her summer holidays, that their father (now 80-year-old grandpa) used to jokingly compete with his wife's sister's husband in whose motor boat gets to dacha 1st. They'd drive to dacha with big families - aunt with her 3 siblings, mother, father & the other boat with their brood. I rang the aunt to tell I discovered her school diary, told it's fun & interesting read. She was flattered, said bring the diary when you'll be nearby.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 03, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »

I remember the school lunches when I was growing up. I kid you not, without fail, every time the groundskeeper mowed the lawn, we had "spinach" at lunch. We got a dessert maybe once a month, a small container of vanilla ice cream.
I've seen pictures of "pioneers." Were they like Girl Scouts, going on camping trips, learning how to do different crafts? Or was it more political?
 i bet the 80s was a very interesting time in the USSR, a time of transition, opening up a lot more to the West.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 03, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »

My maternal grandpa kept a diary throughout his college and seminary years during the Great Depression. It included his early years working, meeting my grandma: you’d think it would be amazing. Unfortunately most entries (including the one where he met my grandma!) are only a few words, often about how long something took (traveling from A to B) or how much something cost.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 04, 2018, 07:10:27 AM »

Read this just now. This is for all those trying to learn the crazy English language.

I before E:
Except when your foreign neighbor Keith received eight counterfeit beige sleighs from feisty caffeinated weightlifters. Weird.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: