-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435337 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 22, 2018, 08:42:20 AM »

Hey, thank you. But, hope when Buckethead reads these latest replies, it doesn't negate my questions (single question?) to her. I'd like as many replies as possible to the subject, even if some points clearly will be repeated but there's still new info usually with new posts by different posters.
It's easy to read what you said, sure. Many things got clarified. Revelation to me that not everywhere in America schools divided into 3 buildings by age. Everybody can study in the same school like here. Few post-secondary ed sub-points can be applied to here. So there's few similarities, still.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 22, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »

the Captain - Bravo! You did a great job of explaining our educational system, funding, etc. Not an easy thing to do!

RRA! - I think that a student can live anywhere and do fine. Some live at home and are babied, others are held accountable for age-appropriate responsibilities. Some live in dorms and waste time and money, in some ways retarding their growth, while others figure out how to balance academics, other college activities, and a social life. For me, home was not an option and there were just too many kids in the dorms who were annoyingly juvenile. In reality, I knew many kids my age (at the time) who did not go to college, but lived at home and worked and seemed more mature than many of my college peers. Of course, there is nothing like being totally responsible for one's own shelter, food, transportation, etc. to force the issue. What do YOU think? Tell me about your experiences at the institute. What did you study, what was life like? Did it prepare you for what you do now?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 22, 2018, 05:45:21 PM »

Thanks, agree with you it doesn't differ, students can be independent or not independent regardless if they stayed to live with fam or get thru so-called "college experience". But I'd like to get the answer to this: "This bit is puzzling "pay whatever tuition was due after scholarships and grants." - do you mean when successful students get scholarship & grant, they pay sth. called tuition? What's it? Here, students who pass each semester exams with good (4) & excellent (5) marks get scholarship, special money to student credit cards. If it's 5s around, the money will be obviously bigger than 4s & 5s. They will not be paid scholarship if next semester's results end up with satisfactory mark (3) & exam failure (2). If students, besides being good studies, join various university activities such as conferences, volunteering, readings, public speeches, quizes, intellectual & sport games, show creativity etc., they'll be candidates to get grant which is bigger money than biggest scholarship. It can be even size of the average worker's salary. I gather by that bit about tuition, scholarship/ grant definition differs in the States?". I told you what it's like here for reason, to get answer from you about YOUR, American definition of "scholarship" & "grant", that you read my reply & tell me if scholarship is given in the same way as I said above, ditto grant. & really curious to know how tuition relates to the 2. It's still puzzling, you see, the bit you said "and pay whatever tuition was due after scholarships & grants". What you said is like you, as best student, get paid each month scholarship (here it's like that) & yet somehow they ask YOU, best student, to pay what's called tuition (which I still don't gather what exactly it is)? So you can't just go "Cool! I got money paid to me for just being good student! Woohoo!" but it's like you're told "Not too fast. You'll give in for being paid scholarship too. It's 2-way street. You'll pay tuition". I must know these specifics if I don't get it. Please, answer.

I went 1st to college which is NOT higher ed as in the States. It's 3 yrs. English language. Then went to institute, 5 yrs. English, German, Korean. College -lived either with either aunt (there's 2 aunts) or uncle. Didn't like it tbh, wanted to live completely alone as people's presence starts getting annoying. Institute - lived in the hostel in super-archaic building with 8 floors & no elevators which is fine by me, it's fun to walk by stairs. The worst thing is to live with whopping 4 girls in tiny room which much space is taken by 5 Soviet union archaic beds. Now, I like antique stuff but beds really looked like gag. That very same room is multi-functional - bedroom (check), kitchen (check), dining-room (check), laundry (check). To top it off, there's stupid rules like cleaning the hallway weekly, its walls with super-old paint since revolutionary times shedding. Wha'? & students must do it for free, forget about being paid. As NBBF,  I too didn't like the lights being switched till dawn with girls doing their student's work. I must sleep in total darkness, hey. Frankly, I didn't learn any independence there. Things like cleaning room, hallway, preparing food for 5 - it's not independence lesson if you ask me. Maybe to many it is. To cut it short, I lived there single year (1st yr), then went back to live with aunt. In compare, it's much better, despite her flat being soon infested with typical here ginger roaches, grew accustomed to them, eventually. Today live alone with cat as I wished.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:32:05 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 22, 2018, 06:57:42 PM »

In the US, tuition is the total cost of attending college/university (or a private school at lower levels). Room & board are typically extra, and optional, as some students live off campus.

Students can apply for scholarships, which are very diverse. Some are from the school, some from charitable organizations, some from the government, etc. they may be for academic success, artistic talent, athletic ability, etc. They may be “full ride,” meaning they cover all costs, or just a few hundred dollars. They may be renewable by semester, year, etc, or for all four years.

Grants are generally more need-based, as opposed to ability-based. They also come from diverse sources.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 22, 2018, 07:53:58 PM »

Main difference then students in America don't get to win budget vacant places in university. Here, if students fresh from school pass their documents to few HE establishments & in final exams they gained bigger score, depending if the other young people scored less or more, they may get in or may not to the budget places. F.ex. it's 20 budget places & the rest is commercial places (pay money akin to tuition). 20 young people with biggest finals score will study for free AND if they're successful students will get scholarship each month till the next semester's end-of-year June exams. If they pass them with no 3s & 2s (satisfactory & failure marks), they'll continue getting scholarship, INCLUDING summer vacations, durng which they don't study. F.ex. me & few others would get back to study in September & by the end of it get 3-month-collected scholarship. During my study (it's even bigger today), I got 9,000+ roubles.

It seems that Buckethead's phrasing puzzled when she'd written "pay whatever tuition was due after scholarships and grants". The "after" usage read like that when she got scholarship/ grant, it came along with paying tuition. I.e. "due after". I'd like that she explains to me what she meant there by such phrasing.

Btw, in addition to scholarship (study success), special students can write to university's student help council. They write they need money, esp. students with systematically bad exam results, i.e. scholarship-free. But really any student gets right to ask this material help if they fit special criteria - poor big extended family; single parent; invalid or smb. with limited abilities (well actually, they get money by default without asking but some may if for some reason, they don't receive financial help); young mother/ young student couple with kid to boot, in which case each student in this young fam gets money; rare, exclusive nationality/ rare ethnic group in Russia, with few thousands to hundreds being reserved today. It's akin to getting scholarship by, as been said, charitable organization. But student council isn't it, ofc. It isn't outside help, it's in every university/ college's building. Students work, make living but, if they fit any criteria, they don't refuse this right to get additional money (say, 3,000 roubles).

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 22, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »

I think Buckethead meant this: imagine total tuition is $10,000.  Student has a $2,500 scholarship for music and maybe a $2,000 Pell Grant (a program sponsored by our federal government). That student has $5,500 tuition due after (applying the discount of) scholarships and grants.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 24, 2018, 04:29:48 PM »

Yes, the Captain. You explained the financial issue quite well.

RRA1 -

I went to college by applying for and receiving partial financial assistance. I was awarded some funds from a church organization because my dad was an Episcopalian priest. The state of Pennsylvania kicked in a fair amount (based on need), and my university also contributed to my tuition. Some students who were outstanding in high school have tuition and room and board paid by their university or college and need nothing else. (Not me!) The rest of us cobble together a mish-mash of sources for funding higher education. The difference between grants and scholarships is sometimes fuzzy. The words are often used interchangeably, some based on need, academic achievement, participation in certain organizations, or one might have to write an essay to receive money for educational purposes. I was on my own for living expenses and books, hence my need to work 30-40 hours per week. On the upside, I had no student loans to pay back.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 24, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »

RRA1 - Your accounting of your living conditions as a student is interesting. I think that I am grateful to have lived in the whore house! Also, you have an amusing way with words, and I don't mean by that that you make mistakes with English. It's impressive that you know Russian, English, German, and Korean. I know Koreans who speak/read Korean, no one else.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 24, 2018, 09:18:20 PM »

Agree, at least in that house you lived alone. Btw, despite studying these languages, the main accent stayed English. The other - additional. & I wouldn't count Russian, it's by default.
Btw, since we speak houses - before going to travel, did you use couchsurfing service via the Internet? F.ex. you travel to Spain, type "couchsurfing spain", there is site that gathers people around the world, you can choose smb., they tell to you the address & you stay to live there for free whilst visiting that place shortly. As you know, hostel prices differ, they can be very expensive by hostel's standards. So, many tourists use couchsurfing. There is Russian travel show "Heads & Tails", 2 hosts flip the coin, who wins visits city/ country luxury style (due to golden card), with expensive car rent for 2 days, best suite in the hotel, experience rich people's entertainment etc. The other host who lost visits city as "poor budget" tourist. Anyway, when the hosts were in San Francisco, girl lost, she clicked couchsurfing in the mobile Internet, quickly found fellow Russian, she rang him, he agreed, gave address, she went there, to the block of flats. Found floor, flat number, he met her & she stayed for 2 days there for free. He works in Silicon Valley (google, youtube etc.), deals with IT. He was invited to work there & to new employees they give flats. He showed excursion in the workplace to girl, their huge dining-room etc. They don't eat anything normal since they must work by computers at home too, fridge empty except some protein bottles which replace them breakfast, dinner, lunch, supper. Anyhoo, answer question.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 25, 2018, 05:09:30 AM »

I never couch-surfed. Just doesn't appeal to me to be a guest, paying or not, in someone's home when I don't know the person. I do have a high level of social anxiety, so I would be all worried about pleasing the host rather than enjoying my vacay. That is why I hated staying in bed and breakfasts in England, although I thoroughly enjoyed  the English breakfasts.

I'd enjoy watching that show, just to see the faces of the contestants who win the "poor" vacation.  Still, if it's free it's free, better than nothing.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: August 25, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »

That is why I hated staying in bed and breakfasts in England, although I thoroughly enjoyed the English breakfasts.

Isn't that what UK B&Bs are all about, E? Fried everything--there's nothing like it! LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 25, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »

So true, JK. Those English breakfasts are not something I can quite replicate at home. Ditto teas with clotted cream and such! I would so like to return and experience the British Isles through the eyes of a mature adult. I was a bratty teenager when I was last there, and did not appreciate what I was experiencing. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 25, 2018, 04:26:32 PM »

I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed an English breakfast on my one trip there (for the first Smile show in Scotland, spent time in both countries). My heart doesn’t thank me, but my taste buds did.

Today I did a million little nonsense tasks that don’t seem to have added up to much. But now I’m on my patio with a beer, reading. (Louise Erdrich’s “Future Home of the Living God,” a Handmaids Tale-esque dystopian storyof reversed evolution.) Soon I’ll be doing a homemade pizza: olives, scallions, orange bell pepper, spinach and arugula, and ricotta and mozzarella.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 25, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »

Now THAT'S a pizza! Hope it doesn't cause dystopian dypepsia!

I went with a brother to breakfast today - dined alfresco at an old, converted mill. Afterward, he came over to my house and we talked for four hours. He's like that, but I don't see him as much as I'd like to.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 29, 2018, 08:24:48 PM »

Making plans for a fall garden, since we’re finally getting some regular rainfall. Planning on lettuces , chard, nasturtiums, parsley and fennel.
Sadness as well. My dear kitty Tabitha passed away today. Looks like the same mysterious illness that took Mr Fuzzy earlier. Fortunately my other cats look healthy.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 29, 2018, 09:58:01 PM »

Bad news. Did you deduce yet it's catchy illness? Could Mr. Fuzzy be Tabitha's sidekick & maybe Fuzzy spitted in Tabitha's eye or she ate food remainder in Mr. Fuzzy's plate? Will you isolate the other cats that they don't play/ stand/ eat in the same space simultaneously?

Anyhoo. Boredom kingdom thru & thru today. It's nice that smb.'s got fun times today if they did. Cool. Btw, hate the signature & previous others dullville too. The inspiration, if there's such thing in the 1st place, went by. When it gets back - long wait, am sure - I'll then change signature. Daiana usually rings in the evening but today she didn't. Yep, it's dull today. Cooked sth., it as usual didn't bake well, raw. The garbage bin will eat it, ha. Epic fail. Cat the joy of the house brightens the mood by just being. Now he sleeps in the basket. It begins to be foggy in the streets. Isn't it bizarre? It's not like we're londoners. Do you know that fog is created with rain(drops). It consists of them, iirc. Many dislike fog, me too. What about you, Smiley people?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:11:43 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 30, 2018, 06:36:53 AM »

Cat the joy of the house brightens the mood by just being.

Love this. So true!

Mr Fuzzy and Tabby didn't socialize. They did have one thing in common - going into an old fireplace and hiding in a hole. Our theory is that they might have inhaled something while in the hole and got a sickness that didn't show up in the blood tests .

Is there a particular meal you like to fix?

I have to accept fog as it's so humid down here. The fog season here is in January mainly. It can be very unsafe to drive.

Right now the biggest problem is my eyeglasses fogging up when I go outside this time of year. Really annoying since I can't see anything.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 30, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »

Why, thank you. It's super-rare when smb. agrees with me. About 0,00000000000001%.

Yes, that theory makes sense.

Breakfast - chocolate pillows I buy in food shop. Maybe porridge or 2 (like oatmeal cereals, can eat 2 plates very easily). With tea or orange fresh. Dinner - 5 tiny dumplings. In big dumplings they add onions which I hate. Supper - buckwheat, plus bakery if I didn't fail at cooking it (biscuit, cookies). Dark chocolate or chocolate candy.

Did you tell the eye specialist to add anti-fog lenses to glasses? Here they can do it in any chemist's or advise special liquid to prevent the glasses to fog up.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 30, 2018, 07:02:27 PM »

What are "chocolate pillows"?
I love porridge and buckwheat. But, oh well, I also love onions.

Did a good deed today. I left the front door of our country place open since our dog got out. I get nervous when he gets out there, as there have been sightings of wild cats, coyotes, poisonous snakes, and the occasional black bear.
He came back, but before I closed the door a tree frog hopped in. I knew that if it stayed in it would probably die . I managed after a few tries to capture the little fellow, getting my hands full of some liquid on my hands courtesy of the frog, and put him outside.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 30, 2018, 07:28:11 PM »

You didn't answer re: glasses. Last paragraph. Isn't America place where everything sells, anything can be found, any service available? I must know about anti-fog lenses/ special covering etc.
Edit: I shan't ask questions. No point if they don't get answers, esp. if it's simple questions like mine. I shall withdraw any questions (& here I's thinking that posters like to compare what's in their country vs. foreign countries, differences & similarities, to exchange information. To quote Brian in BBs song, guess I's wrong).

Chocolate pillows is typical breakfast product:

Today is nice day. As usual, went with cat for walk, took his basket, bought new seasonal shoes due to soon fall. It'll rapidly get cold in the streets. Now it's -13, then BAM! - in 2 days it'll be 0. To accentuate the positive, at least it'll dry up the walking area, the mud will disappear.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:47:41 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 30, 2018, 10:51:18 PM »

Those look quite good.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #896 on: August 30, 2018, 11:33:01 PM »

We have the same cereal in the US except it’s called Krave

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 31, 2018, 12:18:27 AM »

Yes, I went online and saw "Krave." I don't remember seeing it in stores. Might check those "chocolate pillows" out.

I did check and there are anti-fog wipes and sprays available. However none of the products listed was highly rated; complaints that they don't work. I'll check at my local drugstore. If it doesn't help, oh well, just one more month then the weather will be drier.

Mari, you're getting freezing weather in a couple of days? Wow. But I remember when we were in St Petersburg in September 1991. We stayed at a hostel. Apparently there was (is?) a law whereby the heaters in hostels and apartment complexes didn't have to be turned on until October 1. At night I had to sleep wearing all the clothes that I could put on. Thought I would freeze to death !

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 31, 2018, 05:13:49 PM »

NBBF - So sorry to hear of the passing of your kitties. It's always sad, and, I'm sure, made more stressful with the uncertainty about the cause.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 01, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »

Had a good visit with my Mother at a nursing home. She's there for extended physical therapy to try to get more strength in her legs.
We watched several episodes of "My Cat From Hell", a show about cats who are aggressive, overly skittish, don't want to use litter pan, etc.

While driving around I listened to the Beatles channel, which is doing a top 100 countdown this weekend, as voted on by fans. If you miss it , the show will keep repeating. The top voted song you all can figure out. The 100th song was Julia. I found myself yelling at the radio at the rankings of the songs. I know it's all subjective, but how on earth is Happiness is a Warm Gun higher rated than For No One?!

Watched a documentary about the Russian Revolution this evening.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:02:46 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: