-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:05:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435355 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 06, 2018, 06:37:12 PM »

2Buckethead: Wait, America began with your grandfather? At mother or father side? Who is he by nationality? Which country he is native? Yes, Litva is Lithuania, just checked. I read that there is even joke around Americans when, if you ask any who she & he is, they'll say "I'm Hungarian-Italian-Yugoslavian-Taiwanese" yada yada. I.e. nearly everybody isn't pure American thru & thru.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 06, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »

Went to Katz’z with the family . I had a great Rueben , Matzo Ball soup and some latkes 👌

Oh, for a decent Rueben sandwich!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 06, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »

Well. Back to topic. Nobody's interested what did I do today/ yesterday/ tomorrow etc. but, anyhoo, I'd like to say that summer ends soon, folks. Must remind you this. I know everybody likes summer but am happy it's August. Soon fall, favorite season. 3D Sirius listeners, take it easy, heh. Tongue Me, Daiana & Sonya really match the views in this case. Hate summer but like autumn. Ha. Anyhoo, been listening to music to greatly advised by cool chap Newguy562 3D Beats by Dr. Dre. It's cool way to listen to music. I nearly exclusively don't ever listen to music via speakers. Not sure why many like speakers, it doesn't make sense to me. It's too weird to see it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:53:32 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 07, 2018, 03:26:01 AM »

Fall is my favorite season as well. I associate it with apples and certain spices that are used in cooking - cinnamon, ginger, etc. And pumpkin pie!
At our country place, Fall is beautiful, with all sorts of wildflowers blooming, particularly asters and wild sunflowers, beautyberrry with pretty purple berries, and goldenrod that the butterflies go nuts for.
We don't get the "Fall colors" in terms of the leaves on deciduous trees as we are too far south.
We do get cooler morning temperatures, and more importantly, there is a lot less humidity.
If anyone wants to visit the Deep South of the US, October to early November is the best time.
There are lots of festivals and outdoor fairs.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:42:23 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 07, 2018, 03:48:14 AM »

Nice advertisement - for anybody else into what's described.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 07, 2018, 03:59:28 PM »

Ladies -  I must say that fall is my favorite season (a close second to summer). My typically depressed mood lightens considerably, I get a  rush of energy, dig out cozy sweaters, it's all good! Where I live, in PA, nature usually puts on a delightful display of color  with the changing of the leaves. An added bonus is that I look my best in fall colors! I've been to NOLA several times, but only in the summer. There is something about it that is just so unique, a soft heaviness in the air. I always felt an odd feeling of anticipation as I walked the streets. Gotta do something about those noseeums, though!

RRA1 - The grandfather (paternal) I am talking about spent his childhood in Birmingham, Eng;land reading about American history. He went to  a school in the factory where his father worked, but had to drop out very early to help support the family when the father came home "shell shocked" and drank himself into oblivion. "Grandpop Vic" came to America in 1919 at the age of 19.  I am a descendant of two passengers on the Mayflower.  I guess even Native Americans are not  so original to America, as they came over in two waves from Asia. But you are right about most of us being a mix. I kind of enjoy that, all of the stories of who is what and from where.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 07, 2018, 04:48:00 PM »

Tbh, fall isn't favorite thru & thru. September is fave fall. October-November fine but September better. It's got the right temperatures in the street & it's sunny. It's cool mixture, sun shine & chilly-lukewarm weather. I like getting gifts at November due to birthday but that's about it. Mid-October's bridge to wintertime. Leaves colors etc. doesn't interest. Mother & dwarf friend Daiana like looking at nature, me & friend Sonya - not really.

Re: many being mix in the U.S. - ofc I'm right. Can you tell each descent you've got? U.K., which else?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 07, 2018, 05:15:39 PM »

Buckethead - are the gentlemen excluded from seasonal prefernces?  LOL I'm a fall man, myself. Partly because our winters are so cold and our summers are so hot and humid, fall is the only reasonable season (brief as it tends to be here). I do enjoy the scenery to some extent, but it's more just the comfort. I do also enjoy cooking with the root vegetables and squashes that are seasonal for fall.

As for the whole conversation about ethnic roots, I find the entire concepts of "100% [whatever]" nonsensical! Some people make a big deal about being all Irish, all whatever else. But that's just not true, because whoever you are and wherever you're from, people always came to there from elsewhere. People always have intermingled. As you said, even Native Americans aren't native Americans, they're descended from various northeast Asian groups. Did those people rise from the dirt of Siberia? No, they moved there from the southwest, and so on, indefinitely, for everyone, forever. Nobody grew from the soil like grass. Everyone has always come from elsewhere and mingled with others (and thank goodness, or the species would have long-since died out). Ethnic heritage is endlessly interesting, but on some level, entirely unimportant.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 08, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »

Oh, Captain, My Captain -  Did not mean to exclude you, just responding to two chicks. I love fall veggies, too, especially roasted.

Agree about ethnicity in that we all come from people who came from other people. My English grandfather's surname, for instance, refers to the person who tended to the sacrificial cauldron tp the Norse ggd, Odin. It is more common in those areas of the British isles in which Vikings were known to have settled. Mixed in with Angles and Saxons who came from France and Germany, etc. , etc.  As to whether it is important, well, I think that it incredibly interesting. I love, love, love learning about different traditions and where they came from, how a person came to have certain coloring, shape of eyes, blah, blah, blah. You should see my students light up when I inquire about their ancestry and share what I know. One girl with a very typical Armenian name was thrilled that I even knew what Armenian is. We discussed the genocide, how her great-grandparents survived and came to America. People can get very odd, though. I once got so fed up with my Puerto Rican students (many of whom were clearly of Black African descent) demeaning my African American students that I did a mini-lesson on how we all ended up as we are. "Oh, no! I'm 100% Puerto Rican!" was the tiresome refrain. I even had parent complaining. They actually had no idea that there was first the native population, then the Spanish, then the African slaves they brought., and most PR are a mix of some kind.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 08, 2018, 03:44:53 PM »

RRA1 - I

I'm English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, and Native American. How about you?

I never realized until recently how many ethnic groups are in the former USSR. I was interested to learn that the Yusupovs, the richest family (even more than the Romaovs) prior to the Russian Revolution (a Yusupov married Nicholas II's sister and helped to kill Rasputin) were Tatars. Lenin was descended, in part from a Mongol group. Hmmm...the eyes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: August 08, 2018, 04:58:06 PM »

As to whether it is important, well, I think that it incredibly interesting.

I agree with your entire post, but wanted to make sure I was clear when I said "on some level, entirely unimportant." Because like you, I do find different traditions truly fascinating. I loved learning about the old traditions--be they the Scandinavian and German ones of my ancestors, or even just rural turn-of-the-century Scandinavian- and German-American ones of my more recent predecessors--to say nothing of the wide world beyond them. So I don't mean to demean them as unimportant on that level. But when the value translates to nationalism or silly unearned pride (and corresponding dislike for 'other'), that's where it becomes unacceptable. The thing that those people are finding, that's the thing that is actually unimportant. Being of an ethnicity or race or whatever term one prefers isn't important. The traditions of an ethnicity or race, those are important.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 08, 2018, 05:57:41 PM »

So true.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 08, 2018, 06:49:07 PM »

My DNA test confirmed what I already knew - largely German and French, with British Isles (more than I thought), and Native American (Choctaw, 18th century). The shocker, although it really shouldn't have been since one branch of my Mothers ancestry has been in the Southern US since the late 1600s (starting in South Carolina then migrating West) is that I have some Western African ancestry.  I don't dare tell my Mother's relatives!
Since there are easily found online records of some of my ancestors, I later found out that a male ancestor, a mulatto (mixed race) married a female ancestor of white/Native American ancestry in the late 1700s around Natchez, Mississippi. And her white father was a wealthy man who unfortunately owned at least two slaves. Very complicated...

As for what I did today, I planned to watch a couple of Godfather movies I taped so was going to pick up some cannoli. My Brother in Law (who is half Italian) and I share the same favorite line from the first movie - "Leave the gun - take the cannoli."  Grin

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 09, 2018, 02:27:56 PM »

Wow! Fascinating stuff. I'm guessing that we will find more and more DNA sharing among those Black and White people of southern descent. Their lives were so intertwined, especially in terms of slave owners and slaves. I recall reading an article addressing the fact that, while the master/slave situation was the source of much mixing of DNA, a another significant source were relationships between slaves and indentured.servants, especially from the British Isles.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 12, 2018, 06:23:15 AM »

2Buckethead:

Agree about ethnicity in that we all come from people who came from other people.
Well. I said the same thing. In fact, you stated "...you are right..." when I stated everybody being mix.

I'm English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, and Native American. How about you?
Which is right way to say - Native American or Indian? I'd seen people use Indian many times. Re: question - it's bizarre but despite being curious, I didn't check background, who the ancestors were etc. I didn't ask grand folks either. They may know.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 12, 2018, 07:41:45 AM »

RRA1  -

People though to be indigenous to North America were initially (and for a long time) referred to as Indians because, as the story goes, when Christopher Columbus  arrived, he assumed that he was in the area of India and Southeast Asia and called them that. Around the middle of the 20th Century, use of the term Native American was considered more respectful. My understanding is that most NAs prefer to be referred to in terms of their particular group - Penobscot, Lakota, Miccosukee, etc. To confuse matters further, however, I've been to numerous PowWows (cultural events/meetings of NAs) in which many take no offense at the use of the term Indian, finding it more economical. They will note that the NA label resulted in no better treatment or conditions for their people, anyway.

I encourage you to get a DNA test. Mine was "on sale" for $49.00 and confirmed much of what I already knew via family lore and other evidence. You might learn some interesting things that could open up cobwebs in the brains of older relatives. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 12, 2018, 07:54:01 AM »

Thanks for the info. In that case, I'll use "Indian". Btw, I'll figure you'd read what I said re: agreement about everybody being mix, since you said I'm right before. Basically, we, posters in the previous discussion, agree that everybody is mixed, i.e. you agreed with ME as well.

Why should I pay for DNA test? Shouldn't it be given for free? I'd hate to pay for sth. that naturally should be free service, as in finding your roots.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 12, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »

Yes, I'd prefer a free DNA test. Unfortunately, they are not typically given for free, hence the payment.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 12, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »

And yes, I agreed with you and others that we are all mixed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 12, 2018, 04:38:28 PM »

Asked this question to many posters, they told what they did that day. Would like if you too tell about it, Buckethead - what did you do in 11th September when the news broadcasted? Pennsylvania is neighbor to New York, the news may get there quicker than the other states. Did you that day visit New York & were actually in the midst of the street chaos? Did you too, like many people, think it's just trifle incident, accidental flight by clueless pilot? Tell your account.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 13, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »

I was at work, about 75 miles from New York. My principal asked if I'd heard what had just happened, and I said, "No, what?" He told me to just go home and hug my kids. On the way, I heard on the radio what had happened; by that time, it was pretty clear that the incidents were related and intentional. My twins, who were to turn 11 the next day, were looking forward to a school field trip scheduled for the following week. At one point, they were to go to the top of the World Trade Center to survey the city. Where were you? What was your response at first?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 13, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »

Read the "email" thread on PSF..... Thud

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 14, 2018, 01:45:24 AM »

2Buckethead: Your twins would be year younger than me. Spent cool summer holidays in city (1st time see) & by September back to settlement, to not be late to school. Everybody in fam watches news daily, that day too. I'd seen the news broadcast, camera zoomed to towers, then they fell down. Weird thing to see. But, frankly, maybe due to it being in some place else (New York, U.S.A.) & being careless school kid, it didn't seem big problem. I mean, it looked like city's in big trouble but the news was short-lived, got forgotten. Later, 2 yrs back, I took interest in it, out of the blue. Read many things about it in various sites. You say twins planned to field-trip but, if the plane hit towers next week, boys wouldn't die as it doesn't seem likely school would plan it early, in 8-8:30 a.m. It's kids, they'd let them sleep (kids really like it) & arrange the time to be in 10. Then when school kids would arrive by 10, they'd be told to go back home, seeing towers disappeared, i.e. everybody would be safe anyway regardless when it takes place.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:14:11 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 14, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »

Yeah, I think that some kids at the age you were either didn't care very much or grew anxious from seeing news accounts and videos over and over again. Also, it is natural to feel more disengaged when an event happens on the other side of the world.

True that kids would have been OK if the event happened at the same time the following week, although who know if the timing would have been the same? Either way, the connection between what happened and the planned trip hit a nerve.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 14, 2018, 04:59:25 PM »

Thank you. Smiley Refreshing to see smb. understanding when I say sth. than jumping to quick conclusions & yelling "you, insensitive creature! You must care! It brought grief to people!". It's tedious. I dislike when people actively show universal kindness to everybody & their brother. It doesn't look sincere, rather it's sly way to get liked/ respected/ admired by people. Really kind people don't care about being liked, don't show kindness, tell tales of doing good deeds publicly, they know very well inside they're kind, why show it to the others right?
You said some kids at the age as your twins/ I didn't care. Did the sons not care too? Btw, in addition to what you stated, it's OK to not be too upset by the situation if the victim isn't kin or friend. Emily, fellow Smiley Smile poster, proved it by telling that her father was going to work in the WTC office, she panicked hearing seriousness of the news, couldn't work, went home, rang him numerous times but the lines were busy (as you know), then could get thru, he was scheduled in different day, was alright. She felt easy then, relaxed.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: