-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:52:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435669 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 04, 2018, 04:04:06 AM »

Took a midmorning walk to, partway around, and back from the closest lake. Pulled some weeds. Bought a twenty-five cent glass of lemonade from the little neighbor kids' stand. Put a pot of mixed beans (black, pinto, and kidney) on the stove with onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, a ton of garlic, and a nice bunch of herbs. I plan now to sit outside in the backyard to read away the sunny afternoon.
People have noticed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brC0IIUtfAA

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 04, 2018, 04:56:33 AM »

2Buckethead: I did wear it, precisely twice - 1st time to brag at school, next time when playing piano at the music school year-end concert. Either I didn't pin the brooch well to blouse or being outgoing as kids, playing around, chasing during chase game some girl, the brooch fell, I looked for it here & there, found it later. Since then, as I don't want to lose it, it's single precious thing to me, I decided to not wear it again.

Lemme repeat the question - you said you got Stingray bike at 10. It's vintage name, I figure you were 10 in the 60s. Right?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 04, 2018, 12:12:26 PM »

Yes. Born in 1960.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 04, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »

When were you born? I was a "Baby Boomer," how we describe people born from mid 1940 through around early 1960s.  Do Russians label age co-horts in a similar way?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 05, 2018, 04:10:21 AM »

You got bike in 1970 then, last year of the 60s. The reason to ask if you were 10 in the 60s is for confirmation that Stingray bike is as vintage as Stingray car which, iirc, is early 60s car. If you were 10 in the early 60s, that would mean you're born in early 50s. But you're not, which means Stingray got the idea to manufacture bikes in addition to cars few yrs later, not cars & bikes simultaneously in early 60s. Sorry, I like details, accuracy, double-checking & such.
To answer your question - in '89. & no age labels here, except if you accept "perestroika's children", "USSR children" etc. as similar to "baby boomers".
Btw, thanks to mention "baby boomer". I forget to ask everytime when I hear it what exactly it means. Will you tell?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: August 05, 2018, 06:33:00 AM »

When there is an increase in birth rates, in the US it is informally called a "baby boom." After World War II (and lasting for over a decade), the birth rate spiked significantly here. The resulting babies, having been the product of that baby boom, were and are called Baby Boomers as shorthand for that generation.

I get sick of this need here to name generations, especially since they have in the past couple decades begun changing the parameters of the generations as well as the names. I also don't think it's right to ascribe personality traits to a whole generation.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 05, 2018, 06:40:49 AM »

Another beautiful day in Minnesota? Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 05, 2018, 07:38:18 AM »

the Captain - I hear you about labeling generations. I'm sure that the differences among the given individuals are certainly greater. I always enjoy reading descriptions of youth in times past. For example, take Socrates:  “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.” Still, some tendencies might be noted in given cohorts. For example, my parents' generation, who grew up during the Great Depression, do seem to go to greater measures than mine to save, reuse, etc.
This makes sense, as they and their families were more vulnerable to deprivation than we are today in the US and western countries. They had no food stamps, subsidized housing, etc., and if they were not driven into poverty through no fault of their own, they knew many who were.

RRA1 - Tell me about what is thought of USSR children and perestroika's children. I talk to may of the latter when I go to my favorite beach town, where many come to work and experience US culture each summer. Several have compared this freedom to their parents' inability to leave the USSR, to go where they want.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 05, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »

the Captain - I hear you about labeling generations. I'm sure that the differences among the given individuals are certainly greater. I always enjoy reading descriptions of youth in times past. For example, take Socrates:  “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.” Still, some tendencies might be noted in given cohorts. For example, my parents' generation, who grew up during the Great Depression, do seem to go to greater measures than mine to save, reuse, etc.
This makes sense, as they and their families were more vulnerable to deprivation than we are today in the US and western countries. They had no food stamps, subsidized housing, etc., and if they were not driven into poverty through no fault of their own, they knew many who were.

I do (grudgingly!) admit that tendencies across generations are valid. But they might be more accurately identified and discussed after the fact, as most things are, as opposed to by the one or two generations immediately adjacent to them. After all, those generations are viewing through their own particular biases. That's exactly why that Socrates quote--and a million others from a million other eras--say basically the same thing. It's because it's always true that the young are rebelling against the establishment to find their own way, which the establishment always sees as bad manners, contempt for tradition, etc.

Your Great Depression anecdote is reasonable, but in my family it resulted in two very different outlooks. On my dad's side, my grandparents were both extremely thrifty. They used and reused everything, never bought anything that wasn't on sale, didn't spend on any pleasantries, to say nothing of luxuries. This was because of their rough experiences in the Depression. (My grandmother on that side lost her mother to death and her father shortly after to desertion, leaving her--age 12--running their family farm and taking care of the younger siblings. It didn't go well.) But on my mom's side, with equally impoverished upbringings, my grandparents took that experience differently. They apparently figured life was brief and times could change on a dime, so they enjoyed life much more on a material level. They weren't ever rich and didn't throw away the money they made, but they were quicker to take vacations, to buy new appliances or gadgets, and so on. Point being, even if there are tendencies, we still need to be careful when generalizing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 05, 2018, 10:00:51 AM »

Yes. My sons resent the characteristics ascribed to Millennials. They work very hard, take full responsibility for themselves, and could never be described as "snowflakes" or "entitled." Nor did I spend my teen years (in the 1970s) in a haze of pot smoke. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 05, 2018, 10:06:22 AM »

Took a midmorning walk to, partway around, and back from the closest lake. Pulled some weeds. Bought a twenty-five cent glass of lemonade from the little neighbor kids' stand. Put a pot of mixed beans (black, pinto, and kidney) on the stove with onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, a ton of garlic, and a nice bunch of herbs. I plan now to sit outside in the backyard to read away the sunny afternoon.
People have noticed!

What a strange video. It's being read by some Siri-like contraption, the videos don't match the copy (e.g., showing Minneapolis while discussing St. Paul's features), and some pretty basic factual errors (sorry, Minnesota is neither [geographically] small nor located east of Lake Superior).

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 05, 2018, 10:11:00 AM »

Saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Awful.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 05, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »

Saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Awful.

sh*t, wrong thread. Meant to post this in the films one.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 05, 2018, 10:23:22 AM »

People have noticed!

What a strange video. It's being read by some Siri-like contraption, the videos don't match the copy (e.g., showing Minneapolis while discussing St. Paul's features), and some pretty basic factual errors (sorry, Minnesota is neither [geographically] small nor located east of Lake Superior).
True that, you play any basketball in the summer?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 05, 2018, 10:48:56 AM »

People have noticed!

True that, you play any basketball in the summer?

Not much. It gets harder to organize guys to play, especially summer/outdoor ball: families and significant others, domestic duties, work lives, etc. And as you get old and broken down, you don't really want to just join random pickup games, lest you end up immediately outclassed by some energetic 20-something (and possibly seriously hurt from trying to keep up). I didn't even play any rec league this year. I think my athletic career, such as it was, is over, and I will be mostly confined to walking, running, biking, swimming, etc., going forward.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 05, 2018, 11:28:02 AM »

Yeah my dad had to stop playing basketball after badly spraining his ankle ( it was blue!) I thinking running and biking is safer with more enjoyment. You need this instead! https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F161766453747

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 05, 2018, 08:42:13 PM »

When there is an increase in birth rates, in the US it is informally called a "baby boom." After World War II (and lasting for over a decade), the birth rate spiked significantly here. The resulting babies, having been the product of that baby boom, were and are called Baby Boomers as shorthand for that generation.

I get sick of this need here to name generations, especially since they have in the past couple decades begun changing the parameters of the generations as well as the names. I also don't think it's right to ascribe personality traits to a whole generation.
I, myself, have never understood what exactly "counted" as a "baby boomer". For many years I thought it referred to the younger, post "hippie" generation(roughly the 1980's and after), but I recently read a reference somewhere(I can't recall exactly where) stating that "baby boomers" referred to the post 1940's era, which I assume would mean the children of the 1960's(?).

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 06, 2018, 02:33:54 AM »

I, myself, have never understood what exactly "counted" as a "baby boomer". For many years I thought it referred to the younger, post "hippie" generation(roughly the 1980's and after), but I recently read a reference somewhere(I can't recall exactly where) stating that "baby boomers" referred to the post 1940's era, which I assume would mean the children of the 1960's(?).

I remember one year at my grammar school had an extra (fifth) class, to meet the additional number of pupils born in the year(s) directly after the war. So I'd say your last statement is the correct one.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 06, 2018, 04:59:54 AM »

I was born in what I believe was the peak year for the Baby Boomers - 1957.
There were 5 kids in my family, not unusual at all. And I had classmates with 6-10 kids in their families.
The "boom" ended after 1964. Less children were being born - changing economics, availability of "the pill."

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 06, 2018, 05:07:57 AM »

2Buckethead: Well USSR covered Gorbachev's era "perestroika" (frankly, it weirds me out that people praise his leadership, some foreign politicians respect him & celebrities threw him party dedicated to his 70th or 80th jubilee), albeit it's the last generation USSR children. Again, they say "perestroika's children"/ "USSR children" very casually, it's definitely not the same as giving label akin to "baby boomers". It's what journalists now & then use to talk about people who grew up/ lived during that time.
Russians you chat with don't lie - except super-important figures & their fam & friends, to travel abroad people must sign lotsa papers, do the detailed medical check-up (the final verdict mist ofc be "Healthy"), pay significant sum to special committee dealing with foreign matters, take characteristics from work, preferably positive, provide with information about your salary & work time, including the document that you're indeed allowed at work to take holiday leave this specific time. Ludicrously, you must say the reason why you travel & why exactly the place you chose. Mere "I like to travel", "I'd like to see new places", "It's fun" doesn't work, you must write really valid serious reasons. Else you can bet they won't give you permission. In addition, if they do give it, it's not the end - they'll ask you to read million rules about "How to behave in foreign country", give you time to rmbr, will set up exam, you must pass it.
But, it seems people didn't get too upset about it - we've got lotsa resorts, beach/ sea port cities, sanatoriums, many with cool architecture etc. It's big country, you know - then & now. People in USSR travelled to the other Soviet states like Latvia, Litva (forgot the right title in English) etc. Aunt went to study in Riga after school, granny went to recreate in resorts. See, it's like going abroad without going abroad & going thru bureaucratic rubbish.
Fam & relatives say mainly positive things about that time. I esp. like the fact that everything cost very cheap - with few kopecks you could buy 500 g (half-kg) meat, candies etc. Aunt says there used to stand in the streets booths in which you paid to drink glass of plain/ sweet water. They went thru being 1stly Octobers, then pioneers. Many still rmbr Samantha Smith, American girl who'd written letter to smb. (Andropov?) about U.S. & Soviets' friendship, she even visited main children's camp called Artek, super-prestigious during Soviet Union which only the best pupils were selected to spend time there.
I believe during perestroika, people could travel abroad freely, not 100% sure.
Is this the right answer to your question? Did I get you right? I kinda doubt this is what you asked. To defend the above, USSR isn't topic I dug deep, except the above I couldn't tell you much about. But the interest you show is appreciated.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: August 06, 2018, 06:00:36 AM »

I remember Samantha Smith. She was a sweet girl who always had a smile on her face, even when the news media kept hounding her. I remember being deeply saddened when she was killed in a plane crash. :-(

Yes, Russia is a fascinating country. Wish I could go back there. We were all "wowed" by what we saw in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Novgorod, and the surrounding countryside.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 06, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »

Sometime this year I checked Samantha's interview at Johnny Carson's. Indeed very sweet girl, very American, Russian kids really differ than American, in many ways. To me generally, Americans look like they really know exactly what direction they aim to go next, kinda cool & collected, seemingly confident (I say seemingly as you can't say what people act like in mind), speak easily with even total strangers, articulate.
It sure is sad she died. Too young.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 06, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »

RRA1 -
Fascinating! You answered my question and more! I always think that it is interesting to learn how people from a given place see/sense their own history and how it might differ from other peoples' perception of it (looking from the outside in). My cousin's wife, age 45, is from Moscow. She seems amused by my interest in this, probably as I am amused by some people's perceptions of what America and Americans are/were like. My grandfather dreamed of coming to America after reading all about cowboys and Indians as a child, but never met one nor went to the West once he arrived here.

Might Litva refer to Lithuania?

Anyway, I would love one day to visit Russia and some of the other former Soviet republics. My parents visited the USSR in the mid 1980s, then again during the Gorbachev years.  My studies of the Romanovs often "take" me to Crimea, which must have been like a whole different world to those from Moscow or St. Petersburg. I suppose that, in addition to the palaces the extended family had, there must have been many fancy sanatoria for those who could afford to travel there and stay for recovery.   

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 06, 2018, 05:50:22 PM »

Jay - There is really no strict cut-off as to when the Baby Boom began and ended. Some put its beginning as early as the early 1940s rather than the year WWII ended. Of course, that makes all of our Boys Boomers. I've also seen the end put at 1963, although there was a sharp decline in birth beginning in 1961.

NOLA BB Fan - You were born in the peak year!

JK - The year I started kindergarten kids were bussed all over the school district, some teachers had to teach combined grades, and k-3 classes  were an unusually high 35 or so kids in order to accommodate the burgeoning kiddo population. By junior high, we were so crowded that we often waited in line so long that there was time only for a bite or two of lunch and a guzzle of milk before we were herded out for the next group. I was actually born, in 1960, in a janitor's closet in my local hospital. It had to expand its maternity department, hence my make-shift surroundings. Mom was pissed that the gas didn't work - no natural childbirth glorification for her or her peers!   
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #799 on: August 06, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »

Went to Katz’z with the family . I had a great Rueben , Matzo Ball soup and some latkes 👌

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: