-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435415 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 06, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »

I raked up whatever was dead throughout the yard after the winter; tilled and added new soil and manure to the garden; transplanted a few tulip plants to make room for some edible plants in a new area of my yard; put down plenty of grass seed; planted three varieties of tomatoes, two of chili peppers, two of basil, two of oregano, as well as cilantro and dill, which will accompany the perennials of chives (suddenly a shaggy mass grown in no time), a couple types of thyme, mint, rosemary, sage, and savory; and watered everything.

My wife is the gardener in the family (I'm the animal person). We have an allotment, which requires a lot of work (pun not intended). But it's a labour of love on her part. I can imagine it must be very satisfying watching stuff you've planted grow. And as you no doubt know, cap'n, it's most satisfying to eat homegrown food--not that there's much of it but that's not the point.  Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 07, 2018, 05:14:37 AM »

I don’t really enjoy gardening or yard work so much as I enjoy having done it. My main motivation is the kitchen: fresh herbs (and berries, tomatoes, peppers, and rhubarb) for a tiny fraction of the cost at the store make the exercise worthwhile.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 07, 2018, 05:19:12 AM »

I don’t really enjoy gardening or yard work so much as I enjoy having done it.

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 17, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »

Dealing with the heat. It's the hottest ever for this early in the year - 36C! Not even considering planting anything, but just trying to keep our existing plants alive.

Brought Mr Fuzzy to the vet for blood work. Not looking good. Best case scenario is that he has hyperthyroidism and I would have to give him a pill every day for the rest of his life. I'm willing to do that...

Listened to the Deep Tracks channel this afternoon. They had a really long set playing songs with the word "back" in the title. Among the songs played was the BB's Back Home. Always chuckle when I hear Brian singing that he will be up before the roosters. Yeah, right :-)

Had a smoothie for dinner. Blended blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, banana and yogurt.  Delicious.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:18:34 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 27, 2018, 07:06:44 AM »

Teenage cousin's mother let her go with me to sleep over this weekend. Yesterday we decided to show fave films to each other. She took flash drive with her, picked "My Little Pony: The Movie" (she's huge fan). Despite being apathetic about this cartoon, deal's deal. Prepared to be bored but there were funny scenes/ lines. Showed her "Cat From Outer Space" & "Samantha: The American Girl Holiday", she liked cat film better due to the many laughs, fictional things like cat can talk, uses power with shiny collar etc. She went back home today by bus.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 28, 2018, 02:53:48 PM »

NOLA BB Fan: My best to you kittie. Usually, hyperthyroidism is well-controlled with medication, so Mr. Fuzzy should be fine.

RRA1: Isn't being an auntie fun? I loved doing things like that with my niece back in the day.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 28, 2018, 05:30:41 PM »

Isn't being an auntie fun? I loved doing things like that with my niece back in the day.
Well. Maybe I didn't say it better - here's teenage girl. She's got mother. That mother is aunt to me. Which means that girl & me would be cousins. I can't be aunt to anybody, being single child.
Mr. Fuzzy died, check the Cats thread, Reply #308: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17750.msg635252.html#msg635252
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:31:08 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 29, 2018, 06:40:54 AM »

I took a first step in engineering a reconciliation between two fine people. My good deed for the day. Smiley

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 10, 2018, 06:17:13 AM »

Checked Facebook page with vintage San Francisco pics divided into topics - driveways, streets, various things. Saved favorite to computer, folder "California", subfolder "Cities", sub-subfolder "San Francisco". There must be general California FB page, didn't check due to limited fast traffic. Went outdoors to walk with cat in the basket. Some chap said hello, I didn't hello back. In nearby food shop, lady wanted to give less change, I said count again, she did & gave more change. I said that's better. Friend Sonya rang to tell news, dwarf friend Daiana too. They like to tell news, they've got nobody to tell it except I. Then switched the cat's favorite animal doc, he likes seeing animal docs, especially about birds. He sits still just like people & attentively glued to the screen.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 10, 2018, 06:43:36 AM »

RR A 1 - I understood about your cousin's girl. I just meant that our situations were similar in that I was an adult spending time with a relatively younger girl. My cats enjoy watching/hearing wildlife on TV, too, although I have a big picture window from which they spend many hours observing
birds and such. One has not been spayed and she kept me up all of last night sitting there vocalizing to the neighborhood males sitting on my lawn.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 20, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »

Made the mistake of responding to comments on Facebook today.

The New Yorker magazine had a cartoon of a woman sitting in the grass with a net behind her. I recognized the World Cup reference but not the picture itself, which was based on the painting "Christine" by Andrew Wyeth.
A guy from Ireland admitted not knowing the reference. He was attacked by some posters - how could he not know such an important work of art? His not knowing it was a symptom of the anti-intellectualism growing in this country. The snobbery was so thick. I posted defending the guy and got a rather condescending reply. Don't like snootiness!

Then got in more trouble responding to reprehensible posts about the children's situation on our southern border. I'm really embarrassed for my country.

However I did see one good thing. A picture of Brian with the 5 kids. Looks like he's letting his wonderful hair grow out. Hope he gets to go home soon.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:48:50 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 23, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »

Why would not knowing this, as you say, World Cup reference/ picture be anti-intellectual? Is it big deal? Really dumb parallel. Maybe that chap doesn't like sports games, there's people bored by it, you know. It should be respected. As smb. REALLY apathetic about football & the like, I'd be like he clueless about that darn ref. That said, you shouldn't defend poor chap, to give you tiny but valuable advice - quit caring & interfering when it's not your problem, then you'll be in zero trouble. Just live, that's it.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 23, 2018, 11:40:34 AM »

The guy was being a really good sport about it all. He didn't need me to speak up for him but the comments kept coming putting him down for not being familiar with that painting. They were saying that he was part of the problem of some people trying to dumb down things.

The New Yorker magazine has always had an undercurrent of smugness, reinforcing the stereotype of New Yorkers being "superior" to us hayseeds who live in the hinterlands.

Yeah I should get over it, although I do have a chip on my shoulder about people in the US East and West Coasts referring to the rest of us as "flyover country" to be ridiculed and/or ignored.

I get my revenge by reading the New Yorker articles but not paying for a subscription. So there!  Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 23, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »

For anyone to take a single example of a person not recognizing a single work of art as “a symptom of “the anti-intellectualism growing in this country” is ridiculous! Anyone at any time could easily not know any single reference to art, however famous! (Since the guy was from Ireland, I’d wonder what country the New Yorker commenter had in mind, too. Calling out an Irish person’s failure as evidence of American anti-intellectualism?)

But as a fellow “flyover country” resident, I know what you mean about getting tired of the attitude. However I think the worst response is acknowledging the stupidity of the concept, much less being defensive about it, as unfortunately some people and publications try to be. It doesn’t take much thinking to recognize the contributions of people from everywhere. My state? Oh, not much, just F Scott Fitzgerald, Sinclair Lewis, Bob Dylan, the Replacements, Prince, Eugene McCarthy, Walter Mondale, Hubert Humphrey, Leif Enger, to name a few. And your Louisiana!? Too many to count. The pages of the New Yorker would be substantially less valuable without contributions from “flyover country.”

People ought not conflate being the center of the cultural BUSINESS world with being the generator of culture.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 23, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »

I would probably miss the reference were it not for the fact that I live in southeastern Pennsylvania  and have strong connections to Maine (Wyeth territories). People tend to measure the intelligence of others based on whether or not others know what they themselves know, which indicates some measure of ignorance in and of itself.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 23, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »

Oh, and this afternoon (and all evening) I listened to my son tearfully processing his broken heart. He met a young Brazilian woman on a metal music website and they fell in love. He went to visit her in Sao Paulo in March, but things fell apart last month and he is taking it very hard.  It's true, I think, that a mother is only as happy as her most unhappy child.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 30, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »

Oh, and this afternoon (and all evening) I listened to my son tearfully processing his broken heart. He met a young Brazilian woman on a metal music website and they fell in love. He went to visit her in Sao Paulo in March, but things fell apart last month and he is taking it very hard.  It's true, I think, that a mother is only as happy as her most unhappy child.

Wow. Sounds familiar. Only it was New York, not São Paulo. And they'd met in Europe first. Still, time is a wonderful healer...

As for me--and this is why I came here--I arrived back last night from a wonderful two-week holiday in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, in the extreme south-west of the UK.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 02, 2018, 07:00:51 PM »

I'll pass that along to my son. I hope that one day our loved ones will look back on their experience as a wonderful adventure and that life offers still more. Your trip sounds fabulous! I've never ventured so far south in the British Isles. I like to watch the BBC series, Poldark, and another show about a physician who lives and practices there in large part due to the setting. Beautiful.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 02, 2018, 08:55:21 PM »

Don't forget in "Rebecca" by D. D. Maurier the main hero lives in big ritzy house in Cornwall.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 03, 2018, 01:00:01 AM »

Don't forget in "Rebecca" by D. D. Maurier the main hero lives in big ritzy house in Cornwall.

OK, thanks. Rebecca--a great Hitchcock movie as I recall...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 03, 2018, 04:53:20 AM »

I'll pass that along to my son. I hope that one day our loved ones will look back on their experience as a wonderful adventure and that life offers still more. Your trip sounds fabulous! I've never ventured so far south in the British Isles. I like to watch the BBC series, Poldark, and another show about a physician who lives and practices there in large part due to the setting. Beautiful.

Sorry, I missed this, B. Cornwall is as wild and as beautiful as it is in Poldark, a great favourite of ours. My favourite character in the series is the one they love to hate--George Warleggan.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 03, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »

RRA! -  LOVE Rebecca, as much for the setting as the rest of the novel. I never saw the movie.

JK -  Can't believe that Elizabeth fell for George, especially after missing out on a man of quality the first time around! 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 03, 2018, 05:26:12 PM »

How is this version of Poldark? I saw the original series back in the day. (We even have videotapes of that series that need to be converted to dvd)

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 03, 2018, 06:03:43 PM »

My memory of the original is quite hazy, so I can't really compare. The current version is very good, with some liberties taken with the story lines (as in not strictly consistent with the book). The actor who plays Poldark is very, very sexy in a dignified kind of way.   
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 05, 2018, 06:19:00 AM »

The actor who plays Poldark is very, very sexy in a dignified kind of way.   

Well, I'm sure you're a better judge of that than I am. LOL

Today I made a tough but (I think) fair decision and repainted the rusty bits of the bathroom radiator.

Those are two different things, by the way. Grin

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: