-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435404 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: February 16, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »

62% of all gun related deaths in America were from suicide in 2017. That is 9,300 people killing themselves, leaving 5,700 people outside of that statistic. 2,020 of those were accidental shootings. That leaves roughly 3,700 people shot intentionally. 1000 of those shootings were by police officers. That leaves 2,700 intentional deaths among civilians. When you look at the shooting maps of America you’ll see sporadic gun related deaths mostly in the southeast (where redneck gun culture runs rampant) but you will see huge groups of those shootings centered around major cities all over America. 650 alone were murdered in Chicago in 2017. St. Louis, 205 murders. NYC, 290 murders. LA, 271. Baltimore, 343. Philly, 317. Point I’m getting at: so many murders happen in urban areas (where people don’t give a damn about the American revolution).

There is a culture of revolution, confederacy, of “I need to stock up on my AR-15s be’fore the govment tries takin em away!” in the south (and other areas of America). But I would venture to bet that most intentional murders take place with glocks and pistols in the inner cities. The inner city has their own type of gun culture: cops are shooting everyone, the gang down the street is shooting everyone. Snoop told me in the 5th grade it’s cool to carry so that’s what I do. That gun culture is every bit as toxic as the redneck gun culture that tells people they need to stock up before the next crazy Alex Jones conspiracy comes true.

And keep in mind that the majority of gun deaths are from suicide in this country. That’s a lot of people who do need mental healthcare. Some say “well the guns still need to go, then there’d be less suicide...because a gun makes suicide quick and easy, a road most would rather go down than jumping from a tall building” I totally agree that if there were no guns, the suicide rate would go down. However, that still leaves a plethora of people alive so damn unhappy to be living on this earth. Mental health programs need to be a major focus in the coming years. Whether by government or something else.

Our obsession with guns fucking stupid? Absolutely. Captain wrote a great post above; this is such a confusing issue with so many variables it’s not even funny. It’s not black and white at all.

Know how many people die of alcohol related deaths every year? 88,000. Compare that to 2,700 intention civilian murders in the US. Yet guns are apparently the major issue, yet those wanting their complete ban probably support an industry that kills many times more people than guns. Just throwing that out there. I drink occasionally so I obviously have nothing wrong with this statistic, but if we’re going to get pissed about kids being shot at in schools, I would expect that same amount of disgust for an industry that helps aid in the deaths of so many more children who die in car wrecks caused by drunk drivers. Statistically, the world’s obsession with alcohol is even fucking stupider than America’s obsession with guns.

Also KDS, honest apologies for helping veer this thread so far off its intended path. Tbh writing and reading about this topic helps me understand it more, it helps evolve my ideas on this issue. But you’re right, this isn’t the right thread for it I suppose.

I went to Barnes and Noble today and bought a beautiful art book, did some design work, and ate some pizza. It was a darn good day!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:17:01 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 16, 2018, 04:36:19 PM »

I agree with a lot of that. But I do want to say that while alcohol related deaths is a serious issue, alcohol at the very least isn't designed to inflict pain. Just like cars aren't - despite the fact that there are many, many car-related fatalities. In that case, we can't really apply the same standard to alcohol and cars that we could apply to guns. But, yes, I do think lots of efforts should be made to reduce those numbers as well.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 16, 2018, 04:54:17 PM »

Rab, Cap, and CSM have made my night with great posts!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 16, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »

I agree with a lot of that. But I do want to say that while alcohol related deaths is a serious issue, alcohol at the very least isn't designed to inflict pain. Just like cars aren't - despite the fact that there are many, many car-related fatalities. In that case, we can't really apply the same standard to alcohol and cars that we could apply to guns. But, yes, I do think lots of efforts should be made to reduce those numbers as well.

Though I totally see what you mean, I will say that the addiction nature of alcohol makes it a fundamentally negative product...even if it is marketed as a consumption to enjoy. Alcohol is a drug. It exploits those prone to addiction (1 in 8 Americans are alcoholics), and I would argue that it is one of the worst gateway drugs out there. So while it may not be designed to inflict pain, it conveniently creates addiction which creates more demand for this product. Which to me is one reason (of many) that makes it just as bad a product as a gun.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 16, 2018, 05:34:09 PM »

Though I totally see what you mean, I will say that the addiction nature of alcohol makes it a fundamentally negative product...even if it is marketed as a consumption to enjoy. Alcohol is a drug. It exploits those prone to addiction (1 in 8 Americans are alcoholics), and I would argue that it is one of the worst gateway drugs out there. So while it may not be designed to inflict pain, it conveniently creates addiction which creates more demand for this product. Which to me is one reason (of many) that makes it just as bad a product as a gun.

But you could make the same argument about coffee - it's also a drug and many who drink it have a dependency on it. It's also not particularly great for your health. In general, I'm not a subscriber to the gateway drug theory and if I were to be completely honest, I think that all drugs should be legalized. But I do believe that there should be drug-control in much the same way that I think there should be gun control.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 16, 2018, 05:45:42 PM »

But you could make the same argument about coffee - it's also a drug and many who drink it have a dependency on it. It's also not particularly great for your health. In general, I'm not a subscriber to the gateway drug theory and if I were to be completely honest, I think that all drugs should be legalized. But I do believe that there should be drug-control in much the same way that I think there should be gun control.

I don’t think I was very clear in my last post. Because alcohol led to 88,000 deaths in America last year (3.3 million deaths worldwide last year), and that it is also addictive makes for it to be a lethal product. I don’t think coffee related deaths are even worth making a statistic of. I’m not saying that addiction alone makes alcohol as bad a product as a gun, I’m saying that addiction coupled with how statistically lethal alcohol is makes it as bad a product as a gun...if not worse.

As for the gateway drug point, my opinion about that is based on what I’ve seen in my life...so I totally understand if the statistics don’t back that up and I’m willing to be shown evidence contrary to my opinion. It was more of an aside and wasn’t really meant to back up my point in my previous post.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:55:45 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 16, 2018, 06:39:22 PM »

I don’t think I was very clear in my last post. Because alcohol led to 88,000 deaths in America last year (3.3 million deaths worldwide last year), and that it is also addictive makes for it to be a lethal product. I don’t think coffee related deaths are even worth making a statistic of. I’m not saying that addiction alone makes alcohol as bad a product as a gun, I’m saying that addiction coupled with how statistically lethal alcohol is makes it as bad a product as a gun...if not worse.

As for the gateway drug point, my opinion about that is based on what I’ve seen in my life...so I totally understand if the statistics don’t back that up and I’m willing to be shown evidence contrary to my opinion. It was more of an aside and wasn’t really meant to back up my point in my previous post.

Yes, but as much of an unfortunate point as it is, what people decide to do with their own bodies is pretty much up to them. What people decide to do with others' lives is where the problem is. This is why we have laws against drunk driving.

But that doesn't mean we can't find way to reduce alcohol related deaths without making alcohol illegal.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 17, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »

There is also an obvious cultural issue here, and I don't just mean gun ownership, or hunting, or self protection. Call it "mental health" if you want, obviously it's that on some level. People don't shoot people unless they are mentally ill, in my opinion. (Does a sane person decide to shoot someone?) So ... what makes Americans batshit crazy that they disproportionately shoot people? It isn't just the existence of guns. There is something wrong with us. There is something wrong with our minds. Our culture. How we raise children. Something. I don't know what it is.
We're absolute sh*t when it comes to addressing mental health. I struggle with anxiety and low self-esteem. I was never encouraged to "go seek help," although I love my parents they never seemed to really "get" my emotional struggles and often made me feel bad for feeling bad, and I have ended up suppressing thoughts that just end up in more suffering. Like most Americans, I was taught to just suck it up, get over it, and get my confidence back.

Ha. Just like that? Americans are supposed to believe that the inner city kid who's been ostracized their entire like just needs to "get back on his feet?" Or that the workshorse who never gets to see his kids and envies his more successful coworkers and suffers from back pain is supposed to just keep going on? It's no wonder we suffer from mental health problems, from mild depression to people unstable enough to shoot young children without question.

I don't have the answer to gun control. What I do know is that there is resistance, or at least a lack of awareness, for practices such as mindfulness, meditation, even going to therapy. When I told my parents I wanted to see a therapist, their reaction was, "Can't you just talk to us?" and while talking to friends and family can help, people need to know that there is nothing wrong with seeking help. People need to get out of the the mindset that if they turn to these methods, that there isn't anything wrong with them.

Basically, Americans don't know how to deal with their emotional problems. Poor parenting, lack of education (no one is taught how to take care of themselves, both mentally, but also how to eat properly, budget, etc... an unhealthy diet and debt are sure to cause poor mental health), suspicion towards "hocus-pocus" concepts like meditation, and in general, not cultivating a culture of love and acceptance.

While Eastern tradition combat stress with meditation and breathing, over in Denmark they have a practice called hygge (pronounced "hoo-ga"). It roughly translates into "warmth and comfort," and the whole concept is about making yourself as cozy as possible. That means warm lighting (reddish/orange hues), lots and LOTS of candles, taking a warm bath, cooking your favorite meal over the stove, filling your shelves with welcoming decor, books, and art. I don't see to many homes in the States like this, and let's not even get started with the harsh, fluorescent-lit, sterile office cubicles many are forces to work in.

So yes, there is something terribly wrong with the way we live. I think we're slowly opening up to these foreign concepts of making ourselves happy, but until we fundamentally change the way we live, mental health may largely go unaddressed...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 17, 2018, 10:06:35 AM »

There's also the issue before dealing with mental (un)health, which is asking why we aren't mentally healthy. I came across Johann Hari, who has some interesting things to say about the general lack of fulfillment in our lives that inflames mental health issues. Others discuss it as well, naturally. I think that's even more important, frankly, than treatment, although probably less urgent. (You've got to treat the immediate problems, but at some point we have to ask why we keep having those problems at rates that seem higher than we or anyone has had in the past, as I understand it, anyway.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 17, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »

Great posts by both of you.

I feel like I know way too many people suffering from severe anxiety and panic disorders. I know people from many different walks of life, many different fields, and it just seems to be a common problem. It’s so bad that I sometimes ask “did something get put in the water 30 years ago that’s making so many of us more fearful and on edge?” (Hearing about the levels of prescription drugs and plastics in our water supply it wouldn’t surprise me if that is the reason for the overall changing anxiety issue in the US). I mean my parents generation and my grandparents generation fought two very intense wars, they lived under the severe threat of nuclear annihilation...yet they got through it seemingly fine (that’s not to say no one had anxiety then, but I feel like it’s an exponentially bigger problem now than it ever has been).

I sometimes wonder if the chill alcohol atmosphere in the workplace of the 60s (and prior years), the chill view of smoking back then, made anxiety back then seem nonexistent...people were easily able to feel relaxed with a puff or a swig of booze. Nowadays all of that is taboo and we’re to rely on prescription meds to feel better (perhaps for the better, I really don’t know)...and yeah, not too many people are willing to get help that way these days.

But yes, what’s initially causing this problem? 1 in 8 Americans is an alcoholic. People are going on these petulant shooting rampages. Heroine epidemics on the rise. 88,000 people dying in America last year from alcohol related incidents...290,000 Americans injured in drunk driving wrecks in 2016. This latest generation seems to be addicted to Snapchat and instagram, the prior generation Facebook - many from both generations seemingly suffering from a serious narcissistic tendencies. Perhaps we want instant gratification, we want happiness without being willing to work hard for it...but where do we find happiness anyways?

Frankly, I think people need to get out in nature more. Breathe some fresh air, exercise has been proven to help mental and physical health. Get off the couch, stop watching the news (whose sole purpose, no matter what network you watch, is to create ratings so they will sensationalize anything to get them). Lay off watching television all the time, crack open a book. Like undercover says: meditate, it’s a great way to calm your mind down, and you seriously do feel great afterwards. That hygge practice seems perfectly logical: your home is your nest in this world - why wouldn’t you make it as beautiful and comfortable as possible? Lay off the alcohol, it’s a depressant and when ingested in copious amounts never leads to anything good - it actually warps your brain chemistry over time if you become dependent on it. Don’t rely on anyone else for your happiness - learn a hobby that you can always carry with you no matter who you’re with in life. Play an instrument, learn how to paint. Go birdwatching. I think people spend too much time filling their minds with useless media (via internet, movies, shows, video games) that we lose touch of what the real world is - perhaps that’s why more and more people feel a disconnect with it, and feel anxiety about life. Anyways, I’m rambling.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 17, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »

Great Post Rab! Grin

Anyway, the internet addiction is very real since I know people who spend HOURS at a time on Instagram and facebook. While at the same time never going out much in public.... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 17, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »

There's also the issue before dealing with mental (un)health, which is asking why we aren't mentally healthy. I came across Johann Hari, who has some interesting things to say about the general lack of fulfillment in our lives that inflames mental health issues. Others discuss it as well, naturally. I think that's even more important, frankly, than treatment, although probably less urgent. (You've got to treat the immediate problems, but at some point we have to ask why we keep having those problems at rates that seem higher than we or anyone has had in the past, as I understand it, anyway.)
Yes, totally! We have no understanding of prevention. It's good to talk about your mental health even if you aren't feeling sad! I think it's also important to note that our society tends to suppress men's emotions, yet they're more likely to be the one wielding the gun.

Our lack of prevention is exactly why people treat symptoms, not the causes. I bet you that everyone who's on high blood pressure/cholesterol/etc., medication, could go off of it if they worked out a few days a week, ate some more vegetables, and drank fewer beers. Big Pharma reaps the benefits of our inability to take care of ourselves. Of course, some conditions are influenced by genetics, but for the most part, I think we're just lazy. I ran into someone recently who immediately went on beta-blockers for hunting-related anxiety/blood pressure problems. I'll get anxious to the point of hitting my head on the wall, but I'm trying hard to avoid relying on medication because I want to avoid feeling like that in first place. Again, I'm not saying that medication can't be the answer, but when it's our go-to solution, we need to re-think our strategy.

Frankly, I think people need to get out in nature more. Breathe some fresh air, exercise has been proven to help mental and physical health. Get off the couch, stop watching the news (whose sole purpose, no matter what network you watch, is to create ratings so they will sensationalize anything to get them). Lay off watching television all the time, crack open a book. Like undercover says: meditate, it’s a great way to calm your mind down, and you seriously do feel great afterwards. That hygge practice seems perfectly logical: your home is your nest in this world - why wouldn’t you make it as beautiful and comfortable as possible? Lay off the alcohol, it’s a depressant and when ingested in copious amounts never leads to anything good - it actually warps your brain chemistry over time if you become dependent on it. Don’t rely on anyone else for your happiness - learn a hobby that you can always carry with you no matter who you’re with in life. Play an instrument, learn how to paint. Go birdwatching. I think people spend too much time filling their minds with useless media (via internet, movies, shows, video games) that we lose touch of what the real world is - perhaps that’s why more and more people feel a disconnect with it, and feel anxiety about life. Anyways, I’m rambling.
As an environmentalist, I fully support this. For the most part, we evolved in the wild (that's including the hundreds of thousands of years preceding our first civilizations), so there's a valid reason for why being in the woods comforts us. We're currently not treating the Earth we evolved on very nicely, let alone appreciating it which has enormous mental and physical health benefits...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 17, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »

I was feeling really anxious, then turned on the radio. Zorba the Greek by Herb Alpert was on, which pepped me up. This was followed by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' Going to a Go Go, and Mr Fuzzy jumped onto my lap and started playing with me, purring away.
Doubt if any drug or booze could have made me feel better than great music and some playtime with my little buddy. :-)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 17, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »

I was feeling really anxious, then turned on the radio. Zorba the Greek by Herb Alpert was on, which pepped me up. This was followed by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' Going to a Go Go, and Mr Fuzzy jumped onto my lap and started playing with me, purring away.
Doubt if any drug or booze could have made me feel better than great music and some playtime with my little buddy. :-)

That's the spirit, E. The Miracles can work, um, miracles. Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 17, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »

Thanks, you got this topic back.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 02, 2018, 06:00:55 AM »

Played air hockey with the best friend & swell sport dwarf Daiana. It was fun as usual. She then introduced me to her fellow dwarf friends - they're really nice kind people. It's best to treat them as people with usual height. I sure don't pay attention to it. They're smart cookies. F.ex. Daiana is very tech-savvy. Really zero difference with everybody else.
What else - going to buy nice patchwork blanket to the cat cutie but didn't decide which colors - orange-yellow-green or black-orange-green. Black's cool/ classic & yellow's sunny/ joyful/ bright. Dilemma.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 06, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »

Had a nice birthday. No party, no cake but that was okay. My family isn't into a lot of parties except for special occasions (as in when my Mom turned 90 years old).

Had to do some errands. The car radio was tuned to the 50s channel. The first song I heard? "Shout" by the Isley Brothers. Knew then that it was going to be a good day.
Went to a health food store. In the front of the store a licensed massage therapist was available and I took advantage of it. I sat in a special chair and leaned over and put my head face down on a pillow. The therapist then spent 10 minutes massaging my neck, shoulders and upper back. Really felt good afterwards.

Later on I received several phone calls from near and far wishing me well. A great day.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 06, 2018, 11:09:40 PM »

as in when my Mom turned 90 years old
Cool genes you've got. Did many ancestors live this long too, Liz?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 07, 2018, 09:08:35 AM »

My Mom's mother lived to be 90. Mom is 93; she has a younger sister who's 85 and an older brother who just turned 96 (he's in good health, only issue being an old leg wound from World War II that gives him problems walking ).
My Dads mother and sister both lived to be 94. The men in his family mostly die in their 50s and 60s. Dad, really watching his diet and doing a lot of exercise, managed to make it to 79.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 08, 2018, 06:15:32 AM »

Lucky you. 65% chance you'll live to 80s-90s.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 16, 2018, 08:10:07 PM »

Long Day. In Louisville for 2 final lectures on the great monk Thomas Merton. After saying our goodbyes I left a little after 1100. After driving just a bit I entered another time zone, giving me an extra hour.
I had made no hotel reservations and decided to chance it. Weather was good until towards the end when it started to rain, which made it difficult to drive as it was also starting to get dark.
Getting pretty tired, I stopped in Meridian, Mississippi (birthplace of one of my favorite singer/songwriters, Jimmie Rodgers). However every room in town was booked. So had to travel almost an hour further to the next town. Had a few songs on the radio to keep me going, including "Sidewalk Surfin'".Finally stumbled into Laurel, Mississippi after going over 900 km. Going to bed now...

bluesno1fann
« Reply #671 on: March 19, 2018, 01:23:33 AM »

Not quite today, but I'll share it anyway.

Started university a few weeks ago and joined the Labor Club. Had to choose between them and the Greens but ultimately I chose Labor as I thought back to what Gough Whitlam said back in 1967 - that "certainly the impotent are pure". That to me summed up pretty well how I view the Greens, as much as I agree with many of their policies. Anyway I'm currently affiliated with Labor's left and centre unity factions - though I'd preferably not have to choose between the two, which I'll hold off as long as I possibly can.

So yeah, that happened, one thing led to another and a few weeks later I found myself joining Labor's campaign in the Batman by-election, where we were very much the underdogs against the Greens. To put it simply, it was the campaign where I cut my teeth politically and helped cement my support for Labor. I helped make phone calls throughout the electorate, put up posters at the polling booths and helped hand out how-to-vote cards on polling day (which was on Saturday). I was very pessimistic that we'd get over the line, and morale was actually rather low for various reasons. But I attended the afterparty once the polls closed and to my utter bewilderment and surprise we won with a substantial swing towards us! The feeling was absolutely indescribable - possibly for the first time in my life my eyes were wet with joy. I actually ended up appearing all over national news - both on newspaper article thumbnails and on TV - and got to meet the federal Labor leader, among others.

Only downside to all this is that it's left me behind on my homework (as well as Labor losing power in South Australia on the same night). So better catch up on that!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:28 AM »

Didn't get anything you said, Rei. Tongue

Chatted with cousin by mobile, asked about her mini white dog Lucy. She said Lucy's gotten old, leg limps, the eyes don't see well but she's still healthy. I said poor girl & if they don't call the district veterinarian to visit Lucy home. Totally out of the blue, cousin burst into laughter & said "We don't have such thing here in Russia!". Listened to cool comps made by Larry in his fantastic blog & checked FB's California pics page.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #673 on: March 19, 2018, 06:27:09 AM »

Didn't get anything you said, Rei. Tongue

Chatted with cousin by mobile, asked about her mini white dog Lucy. She said Lucy's gotten old, leg limps, the eyes don't see well but she's still healthy. I said poor girl & if they don't call the district veterinarian to visit Lucy home. Totally out of the blue, cousin burst into laughter & said "We don't have such thing here in Russia!". Listened to cool comps made by Larry in his fantastic blog & checked FB's California pics page.

Eh, well long story short it was a very political day where I volunteered in a by-election which was won, managed to appear on the national news, and met and got a photo with the man who would most likely become the next Prime Minister
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:29:28 AM by Unreconstructed Wilsonite » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 19, 2018, 06:49:40 AM »

Previous post exaggeration - I got what you said but didn't at the same time. Politics is subject I've zero knowledge about.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: