-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435566 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 01, 2018, 04:39:49 AM »

2 Liz: Nice to see you catch after me & start talking fireworks. police Cool. Who taught you to plant flowers? Mother?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 01, 2018, 06:50:31 AM »

The fireworks were crazy but mostly ended around 0030.
Watched one of the Thin Man movies. BooBoo almost destroyed the TV when he got excited watching Asta run around the house with a piece of paper in his mouth, Nick and Nora trying to catch him to get the paper which contained a note.

As to gardens my Mom used to faithfully plant caladiums every year, then dig them up and store them in wintertime then plant again in the Spring. She also planted tulips every year. Unfortunately down here tulips are "one and done" they only bloom once, as opposed to cooler areas such as The Netherlands. Also in the Summer we had plenty daisies in the front yard.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 01, 2018, 08:08:56 AM »

She planted things but what did she do to teach you? Showed planting methods? Took you to help her in the summer house? Bought you thematic books?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 01, 2018, 09:49:51 AM »

It was mainly the love of flowers
She did teach me to add a bit of bone meal to the soil before planting bulbs.
We like to plant pretty flowers, zinnias, roses, camellias etc to bring in and make Mom happy as she can no longer do gardening.

Gardening is very relaxing. And I love the bees and butterflies

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 02, 2018, 02:34:43 AM »

Liz, I like to get to bottom of things. You couldn't just love flowers & it taught you planting. It led you there but isn't knowledge itself. How did you get to be good at planting? Mother advised single thing (add meal to soil), then you looked at the other sources, what did you do - read books/ attended lectures about it/ enrolled in all-girls New Orleans planting club/ else?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 02, 2018, 07:00:30 AM »

Liz, I like to get to bottom of things.

Yep!  Grin

Mom taught me a lot of things. Don't think I need to list them all! She taught me about different bulbs and when to plant them here. Tulips had to be bought early and put in the refrigerator for a couple of months. She said that the ideal time to plant them was between Christmas and New Year's Day. However, the temperature had to be right. 10C would be good. Sometimes our temperatures at that time could be quite warm, 25C, and she would have to wait.

As I started cooking and crafts I learned about herbs and what could be grown here. Also learned not to pay attention to national magazines as they give wrong information for our area, not mentioning that we can grow vegetables all year round here, and what they say to plant in late spring (tomatoes for example) won't work in New Orleans. I usually put tomato seedlings in the ground in late February as the poor things can't handle the heat. And I learned that it's not how hot it gets during the day - it can get just as hot further north - but that it doesn't cool off enough at night. When I see that nighttime temperatures will be over 21C I know the winter and spring crops are kaput; that usually happens by late May.

There are classes I attend about improving the soil, good plants for shady spots, even how chickens can help in the garden by their eating the bad bugs that can cause problems. Also how to garden without chemicals. Which plants attract bees, butterflies, hummingbirds.

Also good old "trial and error".

That should be enough for now, yes?  Smiley

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 02, 2018, 08:22:58 PM »

Watched a documentary about the 1918 influenza outbreak.

Then, sitting in a comfortable chair in a very warm room, I fell asleep. In the dream I was outside when Al (looking like he did circa 1964) walked up. We played with a couple of cats, Al was laughing and having a great time, then I woke up.
Don't know why but Al is the BB who shows up the most in my dreams.

Now it's 2220 and I probably will have a lot of trouble getting back to sleep LOL.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 03, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »

That should be enough for now, yes?  Smiley
It will do. Thanks, Lizetta. :D

In the dream I was outside when Al (looking like he did circa 1964) walked up. We played with a couple of cats, Al was laughing and having a great time, then I woke up.
Your dream brought back beautiful painting by Jane Lewis, "Laughing Cat"

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »

Ah, that cat might be laughing, but it has that mischievous look in its eyes...
  LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 04, 2018, 04:46:45 AM »

Ah, that cat might be laughing, but it has that mischievous look in its eyes...
  LOL

Pet and owner look like fun-loving types to me. :=)

Yesterday our range cooker was turned off (for the annual checkup by its suppliers) so I cleaned it while it was cold (normally it's on 24/7). This operation included carefully scraping layers of congealed grease from the ceramic top with a special ultra-thin blade. And then we ate out----the thing takes an entire evening and night to reheat!   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: January 12, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »

I have been (and will be for some time) organizing and posting stuff I saved from our old Freeforums board, which had been
overrun by nasty Tapatalk and has since been wiped, save for a caustic goodbye note. We are now in a friendlier place. :=)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:08:17 PM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 13, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »

Survived nuclear annihilation.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 13, 2018, 01:54:57 PM »

Jesus, you were there for that... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 13, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »

Jesus, you were there for that... Undecided

Yeah. The alert woke me up. I picked up my phone, thought "no way" and went back to sleep.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 13, 2018, 02:40:59 PM »

Nero fiddled at (mar lago) while Rome burned... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 17, 2018, 04:08:02 AM »

One of my sisters flew in yesterday morning. Went out to lunch and spent pleasant afternoon catching up with things.
She went to the Moody Blues concert, as the weather started to go downhill. She got back home safely, dealing with icing on roads and sidewalks. She had taped some of the concert; the Moodies sounded great. But things were really starting to get bad, with the northern bridges leaving the city being closed. Wonder how the people at the concert who had to travel North to home fared?
All the interstates and almost all bridges are closed. How are the Moody Blues to get to their next gig in Sugarland, Texas (Houston area).
Right now New Orleans is pretty much cut off from the world, at least by auto. Glad my sister's flight is later today and hopefully she can get to the airport. Too cold for me! Brrr!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:09:48 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 17, 2018, 04:46:03 AM »

One of my sisters flew in yesterday morning. Went out to lunch and spent pleasant afternoon catching up with things.
She went to the Moody Blues concert, as the weather started to go downhill. She got back home safely, dealing with icing on roads and sidewalks. She had taped some of the concert; the Moodies sounded great. But things were really starting to get bad, with the northern bridges leaving the city being closed. Wonder how the people at the concert who had to travel North to home fared?
All the interstates and almost all bridges are closed. How are the Moody Blues to get to their next gig in Sugarland, Texas (Houston area).
Right now New Orleans is pretty much cut off from the world, at least by auto. Glad my sister's flight is later today and hopefully she can get to the airport. Too cold for me! Brrr!

Are things that bad? Let's hope your sister's flight isn't cancelled. (I'm no fan of cold weather either.)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 17, 2018, 05:46:18 AM »

Yes, it's a mess. I know some people up north might snicker about it as our temperature is minus 7C. We had a bad freezing rain/sleet storm last night.
We don't have the means to deal with this weather as it happens so seldom.
The temperature isn't supposed to get above freezing until the afternoon , then it will possibly get even colder tonight.
I don't like weather this cold - other than a coat I have no winter clothes. Even during winter we usually don't need to wear a sweater except first thing in the morning.
Fortunately it will get back to normal winter weather by the weekend, with a low around 7C, high around 20C.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 17, 2018, 07:12:19 AM »

I know some people up north might snicker about it as our temperature is minus 7C.
-7C is veeery good. Weird to complain about such warm winter. Here it's -35C. Soon there'll be sun shining. Sun in winter makes beautiful sense. Bored to see plain white snow.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 17, 2018, 08:04:21 AM »

I know some people up north might snicker about it as our temperature is minus 7C.
-7C is veeery good. Weird to complain about such warm winter. Here it's -35C. Soon there'll be sun shining. Sun in winter makes beautiful sense. Bored to see plain white snow.

I know. I saw something about a place in Russia that was -62C a few days ago. I guess with our temperatures they would consider it to be a heat wave!
Can't imagine dealing with such cold weather every day. I'd have to get a whole new wardrobe.

To add: Airlines canceled their flights until early afternoon. Why? Our airport doesn't have De-icing equipment so it would be too dangerous to fly. My sister's flight is supposed to leave at 1730 and it should be above freezing still although the temperature will be once again the freezing a couple of hours later.
Also, down here houses are raised up the ground and water pipes are exposed making them vulnerable to freezing then bursting when the weather warms up.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:12:00 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 17, 2018, 09:45:32 AM »

Update just in case anyone was curious -
The Moody Blues concert scheduled for tonight in the Houston area has been rescheduled for tomorrow night due to problems getting to the venue

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 17, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »

Let it snow.... Roll Eyes

KDS
« Reply #597 on: January 17, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »

Counting down the days til spring, or better yet summer.   I detest winter.  I like a little bit of cold weather around Christmas, but as soon as midnight hits on Dec 26th, I'm done. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 17, 2018, 02:28:54 PM »

Counting down the days til spring, or better yet summer.   I detest winter.  I like a little bit of cold weather around Christmas, but as soon as midnight hits on Dec 26th, I'm done.

Not a fan but detest is perhaps too strong a word in my case. I identify three milestones in Winter:

1. December 22nd, when the days start getting longer again
2. December 26th, when there are just two of us with all that left-over food   
3. New Year's Day, back to normal and a first step along the road to Spring Grin

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 17, 2018, 08:03:18 PM »

Worked yesterday, Today, shoveled some snow, went to Wawa, went to a resale shop, let the dogs out twice, vacuumed, took a nap. Gym tomorrow with work again on Saturday.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: