-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435595 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 04, 2017, 02:42:24 AM »

The electricity went out due to frequent rain & lightning. It made presence yesterday when I sat to write in this thread. To be in safety, people must unplug the fridge, TV, computer etc. during it. Today now it's sunny - favorite type weather. The frequent rain's annoying, it makes everybody bored, some dumb people decided to walk in the rain, they even laughed. Their problem if they start coughing & sneezing. "Columbo" series don't show by Fridays-Sundays. Therefore, today's plan to see is documentary about some guy arriving to cities to help the local hotels from going bankrupt - by rebuilding, new standards, new furniture, dealing with administrators, doing the right talks with people who threatened to shut down the hotel etc. It's interesting. The cat lies in his basket with orange checkers & rounds in bright yellow background - good friendly colors.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 06, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »

Yes, indeed, don't mess with electrical storms. Lightning can cause some serious problems.
Many years ago, a lightning strike at our country place caused one of our light bulbs to explode. Very impressive!

Have been dealing with the weather. Yesterday we started having some rain, then some more, more, more, more...  20+ cm worth in 3 hours!
Lots of flooding and lots of angry people in the city today.

I took a video of our neighborhood late yesterday afternoon. Sounds like I ingested some helium LOL; my speaking voice is usually lower!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Exyy83N9U0

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:21:16 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 06, 2017, 02:33:35 PM »

Have been dealing with the weather. Yesterday we started having some rain, then some more, more, more, more...  20+ cm worth in 3 hours!
Lots of flooding and lots of angry people in the city today.

I took a video of our neighborhood late yesterday afternoon. Sounds like I ingested some helium LOL; my speaking voice is usually lower!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Exyy83N9U0

Wow, E. That's bad. I hope Trump sees this and the other vids...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 06, 2017, 02:53:47 PM »

Yes, the weather's been wacko everywhere. There was flooding in Las Vegas yesterday, also in Los Angeles a couple of days ago.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 09, 2017, 10:50:28 AM »

Paying a ton of money to fix my car.... Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 21, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »

Drove to a sister's house to watch TV of the eclipse in the US. Down here the eclipse was 75%, enough to darken the sky just a bit and confuse the crickets into starting their noisy racket. It was great watching the total eclipse events moving west to east throughout the country.
Another one of my sisters left at 3:30 in the morning from Laurel, Maryland, and drove about 700 km to Greenville, South Carolina, where she saw the total eclipse in a parking lot. When over, she got back in her car and drove back to Maryland!

Was thinking about songs relating to planets, the sun, moon, stars etc, Decided to play 8.

Solar System - Beach Boys
How High the Moon - Les Paul/Mary Ford
Moonshadow- Cat Stevens
Shining Star - Earth, Wind and Fire
Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler
Moondance- Van Morrison
Here Comes the Sun - Beatles
The Warmth of the Sun - Beach Boys

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 22, 2017, 04:20:36 AM »

Was thinking about songs relating to planets, the sun, moon, stars etc, Decided to play 8.

Solar System - Beach Boys
How High the Moon - Les Paul/Mary Ford
Moonshadow- Cat Stevens
Shining Star - Earth, Wind and Fire
Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler
Moondance- Van Morrison
Here Comes the Sun - Beatles
The Warmth of the Sun - Beach Boys

That's interesting, E. I have this "Crazy 8" topic at my other board (my other other board these days) and I was just planning one of eight titles with the word "planet" in them.

Today, however, I made Milk Bottle Man. He has since joined Baker Man and Toothbrush Man on the shelf in the living room.

All three gentlemen are made of Lego. Baker Man relocates to the kitchen top when a new loaf is to be taken out of the freezer that night. Toothbrush Man is to remind me to brush the dog's teeth every evening at eight after the news on TV.

Like Baker Man, Milk Bottle Man is to relocate to the kitchen top when there's only one packet of milk left and we need to buy more.

I'll add a snapshot of this unlikely trio some time.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 22, 2017, 06:14:18 AM »

Today, however, I made Milk Bottle Man. He has since joined Baker Man and Toothbrush Man on the shelf in the living room.

All three gentlemen are made of Lego. Baker Man relocates to the kitchen top when a new loaf is to be taken out of the freezer that night. Toothbrush Man is to remind me to brush the dog's teeth every evening at eight after the news on TV.

Like Baker Man, Milk Bottle Man is to relocate to the kitchen top when there's only one packet of milk left and we need to buy more.

Yes, please post that if you can.
We have a Lego club at one of our libraries. There's an age restriction - no one under 21 years of age can attend because booze is served. Bet by the end of the afternoon there are some interesting Lego creations!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 22, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »

Yes, please post that if you can.
We have a Lego club at one of our libraries. There's an age restriction - no one under 21 years of age can attend because booze is served. Bet by the end of the afternoon there are some interesting Lego creations!

I'm sure these are very primitive in comparison (booze or no booze) but all they do is convey a message. Regrettably Baker Man's rolling pin went missing a while back and now he's stuck with a plank. That's Toothbrush Man in the middle, if you hadn't already guessed. Milk Bottle Man's platform soles are a reference to the days when milk came in bottles rather than cartons...    

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:22:38 PM by JK » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 23, 2017, 05:47:17 AM »

Cool!

Ah, milk in glass bottles. Don't remember getting them at our house, just remember cartons.
However, my Grandmother would get the glass bottles. Her milk wasn't homogenized so the cream was at the top. When we visited her we would fight over who would get the cream. Good memories.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 01, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »

Today 1st September is Knowledge Day celebrated annually - school kids galore walking with parents, flowers, dressed in classic black & white, polished shoes. Elder kids - 8th-11th graders (there's no 12th grade here) walk alone. They go to school yard to listen to microphone speech by principal/ teachers.

As I walked way back home, some girl was just about passing me by. Till that time, I didn't look at people who pass by - I went with ear buds & the sun shining brightly, you know it's very difficult to see the phone if it's sunny, I wanted to break password to access to music to play it again (it stopped). I began walking slowly to gaze at phone to see if I write down the right password.

When finished, the very absolutely beautiful girl passed me by. She wore LBD (little black dress) with 3/4 sleeves & white embroidered collar. She had black straight hair waving in the breeze &...She smiled to me! It wasn't mocking smile but very kind, warm, sincere & joyful. As if she was too happy that day & she wanted to share it with me (well, people - maybe she's just smiley). Usually I don't look back - I walk forward. But this time I nearly did. But I didn't. But I still rmbr her face & the smile. Isn't it good beginning to day? It creates positivity, that everything'll be alright. Maybe it's strange to say but looking at beautiful people lifts spirits.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Scaroline No
« Reply #536 on: September 01, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »

Today 1st September is Knowledge Day celebrated annually - school kids galore walking with parents, flowers, dressed in classic black & white, polished shoes. Elder kids - 8th-11th graders (there's no 12th grade here) walk alone. They go to school yard to listen to microphone speech by principal/ teachers.

As I walked way back home, some girl was just about passing me by. Till that time, I didn't look at people who pass by - I went with ear buds & the sun shining brightly, you know it's very difficult to see the phone if it's sunny, I wanted to break password to access to music to play it again (it stopped). I began walking slowly to gaze at phone to see if I write down the right password.

When finished, the very absolutely beautiful girl passed me by. She wore LBD (little black dress) with 3/4 sleeves & white embroidered collar. She had black straight hair waving in the breeze &...She smiled to me! It wasn't mocking smile but very kind, warm, sincere & joyful. As if she was too happy that day & she wanted to share it with me (well, people - maybe she's just smiley). Usually I don't look back - I walk forward. But this time I nearly did. But I didn't. But I still rmbr her face & the smile. Isn't it good beginning to day? It creates positivity, that everything'll be alright. Maybe it's strange to say but looking at beautiful people lifts spirits.

This evoked a gorgeous picture in my mind, thanks for sharing Smiley

It reminds me of what Audrey Hepburn said... "Happy girls are the prettiest" or something like that. A random smile from a beautiful stranger is a sweet thing, to be sure.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 26, 2017, 03:02:31 AM »

Today I (in deliberation with my wife) reorganized a corner of the living room in such a way that the door to a cupboard crammed with hundreds of classical LPs can be easily accessed without clambering over furniture and then only being able to peer in through a crack at the contents. A whole new world opens up!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 26, 2017, 12:44:58 PM »

A random smile from a beautiful stranger is a sweet thing, to be sure.

I had one just now (I think). I was waiting to cross the road with my dog, or rather waiting for a break in the traffic in both directions (an extra precaution as it's dark) when a girl cycled past and looked interestedly at the dog. I looked back a bit later and she smiled a big smile as she cycled on.

Of course,
A) she might have been smiling at the dog, or
B) she knew me and I just didn't recognize her, haha.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 01, 2017, 07:45:32 PM »

Last day of paving was yesterday another season over Grin, finally got in a factory 2 weeks ago after a month background check and drug screen, great company that works 3 shifts and saturday overtime, work for years to come! no more coal industry for me LOL  weird though since 75% of employees there are temps and watching a new batch come in everyday and half quit by first break really shows how lazy young americans are. Relaxed all day today back to the grind tomorrow

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 03, 2017, 04:55:54 AM »

Last day of paving was yesterday another season over Grin, finally got in a factory 2 weeks ago after a month background check and drug screen, great company that works 3 shifts and saturday overtime, work for years to come! no more coal industry for me LOL  weird though since 75% of employees there are temps and watching a new batch come in everyday and half quit by first break really shows how lazy young americans are. Relaxed all day today back to the grind tomorrow
That's good news, SRGF. :=)

Today I watched our garage (whose building we share with the next-door neighbours) being topped off with a green roof. And to our great joy a green roof also appeared on the neighbours' supremely ugly annex. The garage roof needed repairing (it was leaking) and the green topping was our idea, not theirs. But they certainly warmed to the idea. There's one more green-roofed annex (and shed) in our street so let's hope the trend continues!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 04, 2017, 04:43:47 AM »

Saturday went to celebrate my cat's feline pal's birthday. Prepared good gift - the old cat basket, the cutie didn't like it anyway. The lady, boithday boy's master, was gleeful as she never bought basket to her cat. But now says it's good idea. Was going to bring my dwarf friend Daiana with me, said it'll be fun. She refused by inventing some excuse that she's very busy. But we're cool as cool goes.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 17, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »

But we're cool as cool goes.

That's the spirit, RR. :=)

Today I finished off the (for me) crippling business of insulating the convector radiator tray (my idea). I found some ancient just-about-usable foil in the attic for the last corner, rather than forking out for a whole new roll. So all 's well that ends etc.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 18, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »

Actually yesterday (see previous post).

I managed to find someone computer-savvy who could locate the hard disk in my old dismantled PC and render it unusable.

Now I can take the thing to the dump with a clear conscience. Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 28, 2017, 04:34:50 PM »

Carved out a pumpkin lantern (my one concession to Hallowe'en, which has no tradition at all in this country).

Rejoined my old band for one gig (my successor left after the booking had been made). Fun, but not to be repeated. Grin

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 04, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »

Trying to relax today after stressful day yesterday.
Reading two books, one on Dylan’s spirituality and the other a new biography of Gordon Lightfoot.
After some reading I played Lightfoot’s If You Could Read My Mind album. Superb. The bio pointed out that for this album VDP played the harmonium on one song.
After lunch, a lot of housework to be done. Put on the Deep Tracks satellite channel, and by some great luck it had on a program about the Toronto music scene. I mopped, swept and cleaned out cat litter to Neil Young, The Band, Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot and Steppenwolf.
After dinner, more laundry and dishes to do, interspersed with more reading and music.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 05, 2017, 06:27:16 AM »

Trying to relax today after stressful day yesterday.
Reading two books, one on Dylan’s spirituality and the other a new biography of Gordon Lightfoot.
After some reading I played Lightfoot’s If You Could Read My Mind album. Superb. The bio pointed out that for this album VDP played the harmonium on one song.

Hope you managed to relax, E.

That must be "Cobwebs And Dust". Ry Cooder also plays mandolin on it. Wonderfully subtle texture to this song.

Source: https://www.superseventies.com/lightfoot.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3JdTDKdHeg

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 05, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »

Thanks. Mom had a fall (she’s okay).
Cobwebs and Dust. Housework. Although I wasn’t sweeping up those yesterday. Dog hair, cat hair balls (even though I give the cats food that’s supposed to prevent them). Cleaning up after cats who love to play the game, “I wonder what will happen if I knock this over?” LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 05, 2017, 01:48:34 PM »

Right now thinking of those poor worshippers in Sutherland Springs. Twenty-seven dead. Ye gods.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 05, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving to the US SSers!

Been goofy on my end. My sister is hosting the Thanksgiving lunch. I volunteered to make the cranberry sauce, apple and pecan pies, and mirlitons (a type of squash popular down here), stuffed with crabmeat,
Went to the store and got all the items. My sister lives in the country and it was decided for my Mom and I to stay the night in our house in the woods next door to my sister's. That meant that I would have to haul everything up there.
I packed everything (or so I thought).
We drove out of town and Mom said what are you stuffing the mirlitons with? I said "crabmeat" then went d'oh, forgot to pack the crabmeat! There was a town about an hour away- I couldn't afford more crabmeat so got a pound of boiled shrimp.
Peeled, cored and sliced the apples. Realized that I had forgotten to bring the cranberries...
This morning I was making the Dutch apple pie and realized that I forgot the brown sugar. Arghh. Fortunately there was a little store open not too far away that happened to have brown sugar. So was able to finish it and put in oven. Next up, the pecan pie. Guess you can figure it out - forgot the pecans!
Although it is different with the boiled shrimp (which were seasoned) was able to get the mirlitons done.
Now helping Mom with gravy then we'll be going next door for lunch.
A little crazy so far but should be nice to see sisters and nephews again . Just hope for no politics but that might be asking too much.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:14:07 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: