-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:59:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435571 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 19, 2017, 03:41:23 AM »

[Deleted. Today's discovery: favorite="not great but okay". Weird Roll Eyes]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:26:41 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 19, 2017, 09:16:10 PM »

A strange day overall.
Started off okay, harvesting lots of vegetables from the garden.

But then, like so many in my city, I kept a close eye on live feeds from downtown. An event was happening that has caused much emotional responses from all.
The last of the Confederate era monuments was coming down. This one was Robert E Lee.
It has really saddened me reading posts of a vicious, racist nature, primarily from people who don't live here.
It was weird having that statue come down as it's been there since the 1880s and the roundabout was called Lee Circle. However, for 100 years before that it was called other things including Tivoli Circle, and now it will be renamed again. That's the way it is.

Glad that I'll be able to get away from this in a couple of days, as I'm going to a wedding in Asheville, North Carolina. The mountain air will do me good, clear my brain.

Tonight I got the urge to listen online to acapella choral music - by Mozart, Barber, Britten, Debussy, Rutter, Byrd,etc etc. I had sung these in various choirs over the years. Might post some of them - they're all incredible and show the beauty of the human voice. I figure that Beach Boys fans would appreciate that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:58:32 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 20, 2017, 05:26:55 AM »

I will have to go through the list to remember the ones I liked.
Did you do it by now? Would like to check your faves.

I remember one of them -"The Death Watch". It was very campy, with the guy trying to sound like Count Dracula. It wasn't great but okay.
About the last line in it was an expression my Mother always uses: "The devil's work is never done"

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 22, 2017, 05:26:03 AM »

Tonight I got the urge to listen online to acapella choral music - by Mozart, Barber, Britten, Debussy, Rutter, Byrd,etc etc. I had sung these in various choirs over the years. Might post some of them - they're all incredible and show the beauty of the human voice. I figure that Beach Boys fans would appreciate that.

Please do, Elizabeth. You're welcome to use my "classical" topic if you need a home for them...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 22, 2017, 07:29:10 AM »

Thanks, I just posted a couple of Ave Verums.

Leaving in just a little while to go to the mountains for the rest of the week.
Can post more songs when I get back.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 22, 2017, 08:00:03 AM »

Thanks, I just posted a couple of Ave Verums.

Leaving in just a little while to go to the mountains for the rest of the week.
Can post more songs when I get back.

Okay, great. Have fun in the mountains.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 23, 2017, 06:21:12 PM »

Drove with a Traveling Companion (TC) from Birmingham, Alabam to Asheville North Carolina.

During the first part we listened to the BBC World Service and their coverage of the Manchester tragedy. There was a vigil service held, and at the end, part of Barber's Adagio for Strings was played.
During the broadcast word came of Sir Roger Moore's passing. My TC said that her father (a local Jazz musician) turned down a small part in the movie Live and Let Die.
I took the driving route to avoid the mess in Atlanta. Instead we went through a mess in Chatanooga, Tennessee. But it allowed me to see some advertisements. Do you know there is an "International Towing and Recovery Museum"? Guess it has a Repo Man Hall of Fame?

Going off the interstate north of Chatanooga, we then drove on an older highway that ran parallel to a river, with lots of rapids in places. There were people having fun in their rafts. I decided to change the radio to the "Spa Channel" which played soft music to match the beautiful scenery. One of the songs played was "A Song of Enchantment" by Libera. Wow!

We got to Asheville, checked in and had a nice dinner with other friends at a nearby restaurant.
My niece and her husband to be were discussing whether rain on their wedding day would bring good or bad luck.
The wedding is tomorrow morning. Forecast - Rain...   Roll Eyes

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 27, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »

The wedding was rather dreamlike. We were at a mountain chapel, in the clouds, misty. We all agreed that the only thing missing was bagpipes.  Smiley

The following night I had a dream that I was walking by a building and a brass band was rehearsing "Trombone Dixie." Thought I heard someone who sounded like Brian giving instructions.
So that tune was in my head. Another ear worm was the first part of "Holidays" from TSS.
Had a wonderful time shopping at a calligraphy shop and another place specializing in Weather and Astronomy items.

After reading the SS posts about Dennis and that movie he was in (have never seen it so don't know if he could "act" or not), I woke up this morning to the ear worm of the chorus for Slip On Through.
Will be home tomorrow. Back to reality.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:07:39 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 28, 2017, 02:05:46 AM »

The wedding was rather dreamlike. We were at a mountain chapel, in the clouds, misty. We all agreed that the only thing missing was bagpipes.  Smiley

The following night I had a dream that I was walking by a building and a brass band was rehearsing "Trombone Dixie." Thought I heard someone who sounded like Brian giving instructions.
So that tune was in my head. Another ear worm was the first part of "Holidays" from TSS.
Had a wonderful time shopping at a calligraphy shop and another place specializing in Weather and Astronomy items.

After reading the SS posts about Dennis and that movie he was in (have never seen it so don't know if he could "act" or not), I woke up this morning to the ear worm of the chorus for Slip On Through.
Will be home tomorrow. Back to reality.

Wow. Quite a musical trip, by the sound of things. ;=)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 01, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »

Went to Farmer's Market and got a bunch of sweet, very juicy peaches. Plus blueberries, blackberry preserves, and fish (black drum).

Then the heavens opened with torrential rain. Good weather to listen to music, I'm subscribed for the time being to Amazon Music so want to take advantage of all the albums available.
Listened to the new mix of Sgt Pepper. Although I no longer care for some of the songs, the music sounded terrific.
Who knows why, but I decided to listen to all of Dylan's 60s albums. Last night I listened to his first "Bob Dylan", then today to the incredible Freewheeling recording.

Also decided to listen to "Days of Future Passed." My sister had bought that in the early 70s and played it constantly. However she must have only played side 2 since I don't remember ever hearing the first few songs.
Have always gotten upset with how Pinder says the last line of the lament.
He says "But we decide what is right / and which IS an illusion?"
I think it should be "But we decide what is right / and which is an ilLUsion?"
Yes, I've got too much time on my hands  LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 02, 2017, 05:53:33 AM »

Have always gotten upset with how Pinder says the last line of the lament.
He says "But we decide what is right / and which IS an illusion?"
I think it should be "But we decide what is right / and which is an ilLUsion?"
Yes, I've got too much time on my hands  LOL
'
Doesn't he say, "But we decide which is right / and which is an illusion"?

Someone else with two much hands on their time. Grin

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 02, 2017, 06:48:50 AM »

LOL

Also listened to some of the BBs Hawthorne compilation.
Love how Brian pronounces "huarache" on the Surfin USA demo

Elizabeth, busy doin nothing...

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 04, 2017, 09:46:56 PM »

US baseball player Jimmy Piersall passed away. He was mainly known for publicizing his mental illness in his book, "Fear Strikes Out."
I watched the 1957 movie adaptation this afternoon. Anthony Perkins played Piersall, and Karl Malden played his overbearing father.
After being hospitalized for a good while he eventually was able to play Major League Baseball again. He was later diagnosed as being bi-polar.
Read a quote from him today -"Probably the best thing that ever happened to me was going nuts. Who ever heard of Jimmy Piersall, until that happened?"

Continued my Dylan listenings, today was Another Side of Bob Dylan, featuring songs such as All I Really Want to Do, My Back Pages, and It Ain't Me, Babe.

On the Hoffman music board someone asked which were favorite songs from TLOS. I'll take any excuse to listen to that recording again.
Just finished it. Going to bed now.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 08, 2017, 08:28:14 PM »

Was on the road until early afternoon. Listened to a bit of the US hearings involving former FBI head James Comey. I was surprised to hear a line from one of my favorite films, Becket. The line was "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?" Comey quoted it and the US Rep responded, yes, that was what Henry II said shortly before Becket was assassinated.

Driving home I found out that there's a radio station that's playing Beach Music for the next month or so. I love that music which I heard while living in North Carolina in the early 80s. It's R and B, and the dance associated with it is the Shag. Will post a couple of favorites on the Old Record thread.

Went to a garden center and created a miniature garden in a pot using succulents, different colored gravels, and miniature cats and frogs. Fun and relaxing!

Going to bed now. Hope I can shake off a toothache.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 09, 2017, 08:18:34 PM »

Drove home from Birmingham, Alabama, where I had been attending a Sacred Harp convention, (a type of shape note singing, 4 parts acapella).
On the way home my traveling companion played Sacred Harp music, then Gilbert & Sullivan, then finally 1920s Jazz.
After dropping her off, went home to discover that my copy of BW Live at the Roxy arrived.
Had to drive back to Mississippi and thoroughly enjoyed listening to Brian and his band.
Now relaxing, listening to the frogs and crickets. Making their own music.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:55:37 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 17, 2017, 08:42:41 PM »

I've had about 7 hours of sleep in the past two nights, so I feel a bit crazy. I've had a little wine... determined to fall asleep. I miss my better half Sad

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 20, 2017, 08:50:05 AM »

I've had about 7 hours of sleep in the past two nights, so I feel a bit crazy. I've had a little wine... determined to fall asleep. I miss my better half Sad

Well, M, let's hope auf wiedersehen gets back to you soon. And tell him "Freundliche Grüße" from me. Smokin

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 20, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »

Crazy day. Tried to calm down one of my sisters who is really anxious about this tropical storm we're going through.
Turned on the 60s station and they played Catch a Wave. Then turned on TV to hear warning for everyone to avoid going out in the water due to dangerous rip currents.

We're getting absolutely hammered right now. High winds, heavy rain. Squalls.
I'm a little bit anxious, quite frankly.
This isn't supposed to end until at least Thursday afternoon.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 21, 2017, 02:07:13 AM »

We're getting absolutely hammered right now. High winds, heavy rain. Squalls.
I'm a little bit anxious, quite frankly.
This isn't supposed to end until at least Thursday afternoon.

Stay safe, E.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 19, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »

Went to our place in the woods (about an hour's drive from here).
We had put out cardboard traps because of a growing problem with field mice getting in the house. We used to have a couple of cats there - one was a champion mouser - but they're with us now and as they say, When the cat's away, the mice will play. If the only didn't play on our beds -  Angry
Well, I noticed that one of the traps was occupied, and not just with a mouse. Stuck in the trap was a rat snake! I got in touch with my sister who came over and helped open up the box. The snake's head was stuck in the glue. Working gingerly, trying to soothe the snake (it's okay snaky snaky, we're trying to help you; he wasn't buying that) we got virtually all the paper off, his eyes and mouth were clear, and he quickly slithered away.
Now have to call a company to plug up the openings to the house!

Also am getting finalized with some miniature gardening projects. One will be a beach theme, another is an "octopus' garden" and will try to make that Beatle-esque.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 21, 2017, 03:45:23 AM »

Stuck in the trap was a rat snake! I got in touch with my sister who came over and helped open up the box. The snake's head was stuck in the glue. Working gingerly, trying to soothe the snake (it's okay snaky snaky, we're trying to help you; he wasn't buying that) we got virtually all the paper off, his eyes and mouth were clear, and he quickly slithered away.

Eek! That's amazing. Rat Snakes are non-venomous, I see, but they can be quite big!

Last night I finally got round to watching Alexander Nevsky. And quite an exhausting experience it was too. Eisenstein wasn't one for half-measures...   

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 22, 2017, 07:18:07 PM »

I tried relaxing, and here I am (it means I succeeded, because I haven't posted here in forever!).

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 23, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »

I spent the morning in the 'Rank The Tracks' section of 'Album, Book and Video Reviews And Discussions'. It's my day off and it's raining outside. At least I kept my mind busy, right?

Yeah we noticed.

Roll Eyes

Today I was having a discussion with a neighbor about staying healthy and couldn't remember when was the last time I was actually sick. Then later I remembered that the last time I was sick I spent the day "ranking the tracks" on this site, which kept my mind busy while I was couped up in the house (even though I only mentioned that it was a day off and it was raining...but I had the flu which totally sucked for it being a day off). Best time I ever had being sick! And wow I haven't been sick since 2014! I must be doing something right.  Afro
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:59:58 AM by Mike Garneau » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 25, 2017, 06:02:19 PM »

Last night I finally got round to watching Alexander Nevsky. And quite an exhausting experience it was too. Eisenstein wasn't one for half-measures...   

Just finished watching it. The quality of the sound wasn't very good but still a stirring soundtrack.
In the big battle sequence I thought, where have I heard that music before? Then remembered - the war scene in Woody Allen's Love and Death.
Would like to see it again, with a better print of the film.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 29, 2017, 01:44:36 AM »

Just finished watching it. The quality of the sound wasn't very good but still a stirring soundtrack.
In the big battle sequence I thought, where have I heard that music before? Then remembered - the war scene in Woody Allen's Love and Death.
Would like to see it again, with a better print of the film.

Same here. Abominable sound but everything else makes up for it. This is said to be a better version:

https://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Nevsky-Nikolai-Cherkassov/dp/630513104X

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: