-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2017, 01:29:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 51117 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 19, 2017, 03:41:23 AM »

[Deleted. Today's discovery: favorite="not great but okay". Weird Roll Eyes]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:26:41 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post in SmileySmile.

Cat is creature, everybody creature. (Best rhymes Anthology)

The grass is greener thru sun glasses.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 19, 2017, 09:16:10 PM »

A strange day overall.
Started off okay, harvesting lots of vegetables from the garden.

But then, like so many in my city, I kept a close eye on live feeds from downtown. An event was happening that has caused much emotional responses from all.
The last of the Confederate era monuments was coming down. This one was Robert E Lee.
It has really saddened me reading posts of a vicious, racist nature, primarily from people who don't live here.
It was weird having that statue come down as it's been there since the 1880s and the roundabout was called Lee Circle. However, for 100 years before that it was called other things including Tivoli Circle, and now it will be renamed again. That's the way it is.

Glad that I'll be able to get away from this in a couple of days, as I'm going to a wedding in Asheville, North Carolina. The mountain air will do me good, clear my brain.

Tonight I got the urge to listen online to acapella choral music - by Mozart, Barber, Britten, Debussy, Rutter, Byrd,etc etc. I had sung these in various choirs over the years. Might post some of them - they're all incredible and show the beauty of the human voice. I figure that Beach Boys fans would appreciate that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:58:32 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"Don't believe any false rumors unless they come from me." - New Orleans mayor Victor Schiro, 1965
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 20, 2017, 05:26:55 AM »

I will have to go through the list to remember the ones I liked.
Did you do it by now? Would like to check your faves.

I remember one of them -"The Death Watch". It was very campy, with the guy trying to sound like Count Dracula. It wasn't great but okay.
About the last line in it was an expression my Mother always uses: "The devil's work is never done"

"Don't believe any false rumors unless they come from me." - New Orleans mayor Victor Schiro, 1965
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 22, 2017, 05:26:03 AM »

Tonight I got the urge to listen online to acapella choral music - by Mozart, Barber, Britten, Debussy, Rutter, Byrd,etc etc. I had sung these in various choirs over the years. Might post some of them - they're all incredible and show the beauty of the human voice. I figure that Beach Boys fans would appreciate that.

Please do, Elizabeth. You're welcome to use my "classical" topic if you need a home for them...

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 22, 2017, 07:29:10 AM »

Thanks, I just posted a couple of Ave Verums.

Leaving in just a little while to go to the mountains for the rest of the week.
Can post more songs when I get back.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 22, 2017, 08:00:03 AM »

Thanks, I just posted a couple of Ave Verums.

Leaving in just a little while to go to the mountains for the rest of the week.
Can post more songs when I get back.

Okay, great. Have fun in the mountains.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 23, 2017, 06:21:12 PM »

Drove with a Traveling Companion (TC) from Birmingham, Alabam to Asheville North Carolina.

During the first part we listened to the BBC World Service and their coverage of the Manchester tragedy. There was a vigil service held, and at the end, part of Barber's Adagio for Strings was played.
During the broadcast word came of Sir Roger Moore's passing. My TC said that her father (a local Jazz musician) turned down a small part in the movie Live and Let Die.
I took the driving route to avoid the mess in Atlanta. Instead we went through a mess in Chatanooga, Tennessee. But it allowed me to see some advertisements. Do you know there is an "International Towing and Recovery Museum"? Guess it has a Repo Man Hall of Fame?

Going off the interstate north of Chatanooga, we then drove on an older highway that ran parallel to a river, with lots of rapids in places. There were people having fun in their rafts. I decided to change the radio to the "Spa Channel" which played soft music to match the beautiful scenery. One of the songs played was "A Song of Enchantment" by Libera. Wow!

We got to Asheville, checked in and had a nice dinner with other friends at a nearby restaurant.
My niece and her husband to be were discussing whether rain on their wedding day would bring good or bad luck.
The wedding is tomorrow morning. Forecast - Rain...   Roll Eyes

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 27, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »

The wedding was rather dreamlike. We were at a mountain chapel, in the clouds, misty. We all agreed that the only thing missing was bagpipes.  Smiley

The following night I had a dream that I was walking by a building and a brass band was rehearsing "Trombone Dixie." Thought I heard someone who sounded like Brian giving instructions.
So that tune was in my head. Another ear worm was the first part of "Holidays" from TSS.
Had a wonderful time shopping at a calligraphy shop and another place specializing in Weather and Astronomy items.

After reading the SS posts about Dennis and that movie he was in (have never seen it so don't know if he could "act" or not), I woke up this morning to the ear worm of the chorus for Slip On Through.
Will be home tomorrow. Back to reality.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:07:39 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: Today at 02:05:46 AM »

The wedding was rather dreamlike. We were at a mountain chapel, in the clouds, misty. We all agreed that the only thing missing was bagpipes.  Smiley

The following night I had a dream that I was walking by a building and a brass band was rehearsing "Trombone Dixie." Thought I heard someone who sounded like Brian giving instructions.
So that tune was in my head. Another ear worm was the first part of "Holidays" from TSS.
Had a wonderful time shopping at a calligraphy shop and another place specializing in Weather and Astronomy items.

After reading the SS posts about Dennis and that movie he was in (have never seen it so don't know if he could "act" or not), I woke up this morning to the ear worm of the chorus for Slip On Through.
Will be home tomorrow. Back to reality.

Wow. Quite a musical trip, by the sound of things. ;=)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: