-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:19:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435517 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 23, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »

Ate a boiled egg. Watched Love & Mercy for the first time.

How was it? (Love and Mercy, that is).

Had to do lots of cleaning up today. Princess the cat got into one of her "spells" and started darting back and forth across the room. Then I heard a loud crash. A canister of very potent catnip crashed to the floor, the top of it popped open, and the ceiling fan helped whip the stuff across the floor. Five cats even crazier than normal.

My oldest sister called and said that the marquee outside the country store had changed. At one time, the store advertised the following available for purchase:

ICE CREAM
WORMS

(Yummy. Do you like worms?)

Now, under new management they are trying something new. So it's now:

SNOBALLS
INSURANCE

Have started reading a book, "Word by Word'" written by someone who works for an American dictionary company.
Described the work environment as "I want to sit alone in a cubicle all day and think about words and not really talk to anybody else. That sounds great!" There are times when that sounds very appealing.
Was musing about this when I heard a crash. Mom had dropped her glass of milk on the floor. All I could think to say was, "Don't cry over spilt milk," as BooBoo the dog, permanent member of our Cleanup Crew, lapped the milk up.
After cleaning that I went to clean up in the kitchen and proceeded to make a mess of that as well.

Will continue my binge watching of the TV show The West Wing, read a little more, then call it a night,
Hopefully I'll also get over a headache caused by caffeine withdrawal.

Don't know if I want to purchase insurance at the same place as snoballs (ice shaved very finely and covered with flavored syrup and perhaps cream)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 24, 2017, 02:04:32 AM »

LOL

A most entertaining post, E. You've abandoned coffee? Is that wise?

Yes, L&M was quite an experience. I got the DVD for my birthday last April and the moment had never been right to watch it----until yesterday, after finishing one job and before starting another. Some brilliant music in there, courtesy of Atticus Ross and some band...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 24, 2017, 12:49:14 PM »

No, I haven't abandoned coffee, but only drink it occasionally. I love cafe au lait, the traditional way coffee (or coffee and chickory) is drunk here. I don't drink it more often due to my having problems with dairy products. Have never been able to get used to black coffee unless it's loaded with lots of sugar, not good.

No, the caffeine came from diet soft drinks that I started drinking again over the past couple of weeks. Don't know why I drank them except that they were readily available.
When I stopped them cold turkey, not only have I had headaches from being away from the caffeine, I also had really bad aches and pains throughout my body.
Was it from the fake sugar? Or the other chemicals in sodas? Whatever it is, soft drinks are now anathema - no more!

Will stick to water and tea, occasionally juice, from now on.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 25, 2017, 11:12:18 AM »

LOL

A most entertaining post, E. You've abandoned coffee? Is that wise?

Yes, L&M was quite an experience. I got the DVD for my birthday last April and the moment had never been right to watch it----until yesterday, after finishing one job and before starting another. Some brilliant music in there, courtesy of Atticus Ross and some band...
On the subject of coffee, I have recently noticed that anything more than a cup of coffee makes gives me more anxiety than usual (and I have enough of it as it is!). I still love the taste, but I only ever brew a cup when i need a little pick-me-up. Maybe I'll scout out some decaf options, too.

And I'm glad you got around to watching L&M. I have the DVD as well as the soundtrack CD and vinyl—did I go overboard?

Today, I have gone for a run and made breakfast for my better half and me—veggie scramble and toast. He's off to work soon, so I'm gonna have to figure out what to do with myself...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 27, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »

Took advantage of probably one of the last gorgeous days here - by next week it will start getting borderline hot.
Did some gardening. Planted 8 milkweeds, doing my bit to help the monarch butterflies, who use the milkweed as their major food source. And other butterflies, moths, bees and hummingbirds love the flowers as well.

Harvested some cucumbers and cherry tomatoes from my garden, which were used in a dinner salad. Don't know if I've ever tasted better tomatoes, so flavorful.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 28, 2017, 02:31:28 AM »

Took advantage of probably one of the last gorgeous days here - by next week it will start getting borderline hot.
Did some gardening. Planted 8 milkweeds, doing my bit to help the monarch butterflies, who use the milkweed as their major food source. And other butterflies, moths, bees and hummingbirds love the flowers as well.

Harvested some cucumbers and cherry tomatoes from my garden, which were used in a dinner salad. Don't know if I've ever tasted better tomatoes, so flavorful.

Wow. You have Monarchs. In the UK, where they are an occasional visitor, they also call them Milkweeds:

http://www.butterfly-guide.co.uk/help/monmig.htm

And yes, nothing tastes better than homegrown produce!

Yesterday my wife and I celebrated King's Day by buying and eating oysters amidst the general festivities and then drinking a glass of white wine at the local lake...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 28, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »

Very interesting article.
It is sad, however, that the Monarchs that make it to the UK probably don't survive the migration when the days get shorter.

We have a long bridge over our Lake Pontchartrain (The Causeway, 38.6 km). During October it's fun seeing all the Monarchs migrating south - it looks like they're using the bridge as a guide, as it's north/south

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 29, 2017, 01:38:23 PM »

Sometimes I envy your climate, being able to be harvesting vegetables already. (Of course, the heat and humidity would just kill me, so other times I don't envy you.) We're only in the past few weeks seeing signs of plant life, with grass going from a brownish-grey to green, the trees and shrubs budding, and tulips, at least, flowering. In the garden, my chives are going strong, and rhubarb, strawberries, thyme, savory, and oregano are beginning to show rebirth. Mint, rosemary, and sage still look like brown skeletons. And it's too soon to plant any annuals, so my parsley, cilantro, basil, tomatoes, chilis, and such are at least a couple weeks from even going into the ground, much less being harvested.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 29, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »

Yes, it gets pretty unbearable by August, and the heat restricts what we can grow - mainly just hot peppers, eggplant and okra, maybe a little squash. And tulips don't rebloom down here. One time bloom, then throw it in the compost pile.
I've never lived in the Far North, but did live in central North Carolina for a couple of years, There's something to be said for a four season climate. How everything is dead looking in winter, then spring is so incredibly beautiful. Makes one appreciate it more.
It gets a little boring, funny to say, down here. In the "dead of winter" there are all sorts of flowers in bloom.
Although it's nice to be able to grow lettuce, chard and (of course) kale.

Oh my. Watching TV right now. My thoughts are with those poor souls going through the floods and tornadoes in the central US.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 05, 2017, 08:59:45 PM »

Happy cinco de mayo

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 06, 2017, 02:51:49 AM »

Happy cinco de mayo

Thanks, W. And the same to you, amigo.

What have I been doing? Swapping weird egg jokes with OSD. LOL

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 06, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »

Rebuilding one of my old bmx bikes Grin
2000 Dyno Compe, all original beside the rear tire and rim. I also have a 95 Compe im leaving as is 97 VFR and a 98 Air(next springs project)
The chromes been blasted off Tongue. handlebars and fork GM black pearl auto paint and the frames gonna be marble. Black then silver  to get the marble effect and topped with Chrysler moss green pearl auto paint. The decals i havent decided like any nos,oe parts the prices can be ridiculous so i think im going to make stencils of the original decals and airbrush them on Smokin 
todays day 3 of endless rain so i cant do much

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 06, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »

Nice, I was lucky to get a mongoose 1990s bike from my uncle! P.S- poor Whammer.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 07, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »

Really cool, do you know which model?  old school bmx bikes are great, todays style are toooo small and weird looking to me plus the prices for a new bmx bike, i can build 2/3 retro Dyno/GT's.
Watched the cavs, picked at various projects throughout the day including the compe, pretty relaxing day

Whammer was the coolest mascot the CAVS ever had, moondogs repulsively boring running around the Q banging on a drum Roll Eyes

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 10, 2017, 09:09:09 PM »

Not much today. Worked a couple of crossword puzzles and deciphered the daily coded message in the paper (it was about Mothers).
Finished a book - a well done, albeit depressing one - The Road to Jonestown. Got to find something uplifting after that.
Read that on this day in 1869 the US Transcontinental Railroad was completed. So the Iron Horse could run unimpeded from sea to shining sea.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 11, 2017, 02:56:53 AM »

Not much today. Worked a couple of crossword puzzles and deciphered the daily coded message in the paper (it was about Mothers).
Finished a book - a well done, albeit depressing one - The Road to Jonestown. Got to find something uplifting after that.
Read that on this day in 1869 the US Transcontinental Railroad was completed. So the Iron Horse could run unimpeded from sea to shining sea.

I can imagine that was a depressing read. I remember reading about it when it happened----those images are hard to shake off.

We have a thing in the paper called (in translation) "in the middle", where a topical word or name appears once the rest of the puzzle has been solved. Very obsessive!      

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 11, 2017, 04:45:48 AM »

Yes, depressing.
But also something I obsess over and have to read everything about. Next year will be the 40th anniversary.
I wonder, if there, would I have "drunk the Kool Aid"? (actually, it was a cheaper drink mix used, Flavor Aid)

Am also obsessed over puzzle games. I use them to gauge my mental abilities, to work these old brain cells.
Sometimes we have puzzle games like the one you describe. Lots of fun.

Today should be interesting listening to local radio. Don't know if you're familiar with our Confederate statue controversy, but one of the statues was taken down a couple of hours ago.
Yesterday I was reading some posts on a US Civil War message board I follow. There were photos of a Civil War re-enactment, where people dress up in uniforms and costumes. Curiously, this re-enactment took place in Russia, the photo looked like it could have been here. What gave it away, however, was the dog. Here it would have been a Bloodhound or something similar. In this picture, however, it was a Borzoi!
The leader of the group, from Moscow, said he was so interested in the Civil War because of the outcome - why wasn't General Robert E Lee or Confederate President Jefferson Davis executed?
These two "traitors" had statues erected in their honor in New Orleans. The Davis statue was the one taken down just now,

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 12, 2017, 04:31:32 PM »

Listened to CBS Radio Mystery Theater, this ep: http://www.cbsrmt.com/episode-4-lost-dog.html

I didn't plan it but you know the way it goes like - start searching sth. & end up with sth. else. I went to check the Hitchcock collected shorts by various writers, read descriptions & got interested in "Lost Dog". The guy in radio starts with saying it's written by Henry Slesar specially for RMT. I didn't listen to it before as I'm used to the visual acting but now I think I will. It's cool to hear the actors play. They do it really well.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 12, 2017, 07:56:47 PM »

Sic 'em, Attila!  Cheesy

Remember these radio shows back in the 70s; they played on our local CBS network station. Good to see that they are available to listen to again.

As for yours truly, was dodging raindrops and tornadoes today. As in so many times lately, we weren't supposed to have any severe weather so this was a surprise. A small tornado hit close to my sister's house in suburban New Orleans - a trampoline ended up on someone's roof.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 13, 2017, 01:20:53 AM »

Sic 'em, Attila!  Cheesy

Remember these radio shows back in the 70s; they played on our local CBS network station. Good to see that they are available to listen to again.
Favorite play?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 13, 2017, 03:25:24 AM »

Last night I put all my stick insects in the garden. There must have been at least 100 in the aquarium and they were eating me out of house and home. Anyway, the outdoor temperature is high enough now, with no further chance of frost. So the ones that don't get eaten by birds (or frogs) will have a good half a year out there (they never survive even the mildest winters in this part of the world). 

I've been breeding them for years on and off but I won't be doing it again. All good things must come to an end...   

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 13, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »

[quote author=NOLA BB Fan link=topic=1409.msg610457#msg610457 date=149464420
Favorite play?
[/quote]

I will have to go through the list to remember the ones I liked. I wasn't able to listen to it every night, but intermittently over the years.

Spoke to my Mother this morning about radio shows. Her favorite was "Inner Sanctum."
On hot summer nights people would sit out on the outside steps and listen to the radio.

Here's one, Mari, that you might like. The episode is called " The Wailing Wall." 
During the broadcast there are several amusing advertising breaks for Lipton Tea.
The Cat saw everything.

Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWDLTlk7ETE

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 14, 2017, 08:25:24 PM »

Last night I put all my stick insects in the garden.

I've never seen them here, have only seen photos of them. They're fascinating to look at.
Do they eat the "bad" bugs?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 14, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »

Today was Mother's Day here, so took Mom out to lunch.
I've passed by this place loads of times over the years, but it was the first time ever at the Degas House.
The artist, Edgar Degas, lived there 1872-73. His mother was from here, and lots of relatives were still here as well.

At our table, I saw a painting Degas had done - it was of the room we were in. It looked exactly the same, down to the yellow walls.
By great luck, the painting right next to us was a reproduction of "L'Absinthe", one of Degas most famous, or infamous, works.  I could look at that painting for hours - what is that woman thinking? And that guy?
Mom had never seen that painting before, and she was utterly fascinated. She made me laugh as she talked about the woman's bad taste in hats. And her shoes! (Quite frankly I had never noticed them before). With Mom only having one good eye, she thought that the woman was wearing running shoes! From an angle, it did sort of look like that. I mused that she wanted to be able to run away quickly if necessary, although at that moment she wasn't going anywhere soon, being in "la la land" due to that potent green stuff, Absinthe.

Mom was still talking about the painting tonight. She felt sorry about the woman, and, as a former psychiatric nurse, she was quick to notice the hat and shoes.

It was a great day overall, except that it looks like poison ivy got me again after doing some gardening. My left ear is crusty and oozing, and it's spread over the left side of my face. Will have to see doctor.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 19, 2017, 02:47:55 AM »

Last night I put all my stick insects in the garden.

I've never seen them here, have only seen photos of them. They're fascinating to look at.
Do they eat the "bad" bugs?

They only eat plants, so they're not much of a help really. But as I say, this is the last time. I once bred them ten years on the trot (taking in three at the end of the year for the next batch) until the new neighbours pulled down the hedge...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: